PDA

View Full Version : Steady Eli Rogers darts into Steelers' wide receiver picture

hawaiiansteeler
08-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Steady Rogers darts into Steelers' wide receiver picture

BY RALPH N. PAULK | Friday, Aug. 19, 2016

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=PsHmR Vhqne6oTaNxp_Ksyc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuDMdGhks9fPXC iPtJOq9WFWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Eli Rogers is making a case to beat out Sammie Coates as the Steelers' No. 3 receiver.

The assumption is second-year wide receiver Sammie Coates or veteran Darrius Heyward-Bey will replace Martavis Bryant in the starting lineup in the season opener in Washington on Sept. 12.

But training camp and the preseason has given offensive coordinator Todd Haley reason to reassess his receiving corps. Eli Rogers, who spent all of last season on injured reserve with a foot ailment, has significantly narrowed the gap.

Rogers was productive in both of the Steelers' preseason defeats, including four receptions on five targets during a 17-0 setback to Philadelphia on Thursday night at Heinz Field. Coates has managed to lose ground, partly because of a lack of focus that caused drop balls and fumbles.

If Rogers continues his stellar play during the preseason, slot receiver Markus Wheaton might get what he really wants. Wheaton has openly lobbied for playing outside, and Coates' inconsistency and Rogers' growth might precipitate such a move.

“Some guys survive and some fall a little bit,” Wheaton said. “When that first game comes around, we'll see how things shape up. For me, I'm opened to anything. If I have to move outside, I'm cool with that.

“Sammie has flashed some great skills. Obviously, he's had some ups and downs, but he's made some good plays. It's definitely some stuff to build on.”

Of course, the Steelers may need both to deliver while Bryant serves a season-long ban for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Yet, while Coates is looking over his shoulder at Rogers, he also is being pressed by Cobi Hamilton. The 6-foot-2 receiver, a sixth-round pick in 2013 by the Cincinnati Bengals, had four catches Thursday, including a sparkling one-handed grab near the Eagles' sideline.

Indeed, if Coates continues his yo-yo ways, Haley's hand might be forced.

Rogers, competing with rookie Demarcus Ayers for the punt return job, ran disciplined routes. So far, it's been a huge part of his progress.

“The most important thing is being consistent,” Rogers said. “I've been able to slow things down and make routine plays routinely as the coaches always say. I'm coming into the game taking what I do in practice into the game.

“I'm going to compete regardless of any situation. I have to earn respect from everyone. It's hard to assess everything, but I've transitioned the good things from practice into the game.”

Coates' inconsistency extends beyond his hands. Eagles cornerback Aaron Grymes ran a better post corner route than Coates to position himself to make one of four interceptions thrown by quarterback Landry Jones in the first half. Coates didn't give up on the route, but he didn't come out of his break quick enough to prevent the interception.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11000198-74/coates-rogers-receiver

Shoes
08-20-2016, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers slip by Coates. Rogers has a motor and is always moving, much like AB and Sanders were.

BlackAndGold
08-20-2016, 07:09 PM
I believe he'll become Ben's 2nd favorite target by midseason.

He could be a stud slot receiver for years to come.

Shoes
08-20-2016, 08:20 PM
I believe he'll become Ben's 2nd favorite target by midseason.

He could be a stud slot receiver for years to come.

Agreed!

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2016, 08:46 PM
so glad we have Eli potentially coming out of nowhere in Martavis Bryant's absence to help pick up the slack. Hopefully Coates can keep pace because AB cant be our only deep threat, Wheaton is way too up and down, DHB is never going to get any better, and Green cant even get healthy.