PDA

View Full Version : Opener a learning experience for Davis

stillers4me
08-14-2016, 08:36 AM
S Sean Davis got an extended first-half look as the third cornerback in the five-defensive backs “nickel” defense and learned some lessons in a hurry.

His night in the Steelers’ 30-17 preseason loss to the Lions on Friday night at Heinz Field included:

-A missed tackle on a first-quarter catch by WR Anquan Bolden that cost the Steelers an additional 20 yards on what became a 30-yard completion.

-A penalty for a horse-collar tackle that cost the Steelers an additional 15 yards on a 7-yard gain on third-and-3 from the Lions’ 35-yard line in the second quarter.............

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Opener-a-learning-experience-for-Davis/427ed143-f884-4d8e-b132-824eda3d760f

hawaiiansteeler
08-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Sean Davis is much better playing safety than he is at CB.

he showed that in college and he proved it once again versus the Lions...

Iron Steeler
08-14-2016, 03:17 PM
I think he had a pretty good showing. This is why we stick the rooks out there to get this " I can knock everyone out with my shoulder " mentality out of their system. Other then the open drive with bolden I think he had a good game. The horse-caller call was iffy , tie goes to the steeler , heh heh :-)

hawaiiansteeler
08-14-2016, 08:14 PM
by Jon Ledyard

Many were ripping Sean Davis for giving up a few plays on Sunday, the biggest of which was a 30-yard grab by Anquan Boldin from the slot. Nickel corner is one of the toughest positions in a defense because the full route tree is basically available to the receiver. You’ll often have help vertically, but a sliver of separation underneath could be enough for a substantial gain. That’s why your slot corner is typically your best technician, able to mirror movements and exhibit clean footwork at all times. Against Boldin, Davis opened his hips to the sideline far too quickly when the veteran jab-stepped in that direction, making it impossible for him to recover when the receiver countered inside for an easy catch.

- If Davis is going to be playing man coverage from the slot, he’s going to have more struggles early on. It’s simply not where his strengths lie at this time. Will Gay would be a better option in man coverage, but who would play outside? The loss of Senquez Golson has had a significant ripple effect on the defense so far, and it’ll be interesting to see what other changes occur if Davis continues to struggle there.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1696033-practice-report-doran-grant-works-safety?preview=true