PDA

View Full Version : Second-year WR Sammie Coates continues to open many eyes in Steelers training camp

hawaiiansteeler
08-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Second-year WR Sammie Coates continues to open many eyes in Steelers training camp

August 9, 2016
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2016/08/09/ca411,0,2387,1977/20160729geSteel0730sports7-3.jpg

Sammie Coates has made all types of catches since the Steelers put on the pads and started doing something other than running around in shorts. He has made two-handed catches above his helmet, one-handed sideline grabs around a defender, even laid out his 6-foot-2, 215-pound frame to catch a deep ball in the end zone.

Flashing such brilliance in the first full week of training camp might come as a surprise to those who said he had poor hands at Auburn, where he dropped one out of every five passes. But it doesn’t to Coates, and it doesn’t to the Steelers.

“You’re going to have some knocks on you,” Coates said. “The offense I was in, you didn’t get a lot of targets, so if I dropped one it was like the end of the world.”

Coates, a third-round draft choice in 2015, will have to have some unwordly performances to make up for the loss of Martavis Bryant, who has been suspended for the 2016 season. But, if one week is any indication, he has shown the ability to be a game-changing receiver with his size, strength and speed. And, believe it or not, hands.

But what has really impressed the Steelers is that Coates came to camp ready to perform, ready to make a splash. It indicates to them a commitment to his team and a dedication to his profession, something that might not be able to be said about the receiver he’s replacing.

“It’s very important, not only for his confidence, but for the confidence of the quarterback, the confidence of the staff, the confidence of the players, because we’re missing a piece that was a playmaker,” said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. “I do think some of the flash plays were critical. The plays he’s made, some of those combat catches are just exactly what you want to see.”

Coates has done that with great frequency at Saint Vincent College. Now the next step will be to do that in games, starting with the preseason opener Friday night against the Detroit Lions at Heinz Field.

Coaches talk all the time about watching the progress players make from their rookie season to year two. Coates has already given them an eyeful.

“I was once in that position,” said cornerback William Gay. “In that situation, you can’t worry about what people think. You got to come in confident and ready to go and, when called upon, you got to answer the bell.”

As a rookie, Coates didn’t get many chances. He appeared in just six regular-season games and caught only one pass for 11 yards. When Antonio Brown was unable to play because of a concussion in the divisional playoff game in Denver, Coates gave a small glimpse of his play-making ability, catching two passes for 61 yards.

That will change this year.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/09/Second-year-WR-Sammie-Coates-continues-to-open-many-eyes-in-Steelers-training-camp/stories/201608090059

st33lersguy
08-10-2016, 07:43 PM
As far as I am concerned, if he can maintain focus all 16 games and avoid too many drops, he will already be an upgrade in that aspect over Bryant who had too many drops and boneheaded plays and at times during the 2nd half of the season looked unfocused

Born2Steel
08-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Somebody get Christian a helmet.

hawaiiansteeler
08-14-2016, 08:23 PM
- Until Sammie Coates can consistently catch and protect the football in real live NFL action, expect Darrius Heyward-Bey to run ahead of him.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1696033-practice-report-doran-grant-works-safety?preview=true

st33lersguy
08-18-2016, 07:25 PM
He had a nice sideline catch for a nice gain, very encouraging

steelerdude15
08-18-2016, 07:41 PM
He had a nice sideline catch for a nice gain, very encouraging

That was a great catch. I'm glad Mike had it reviewed.

Sammie has been pretty bad the first couple of games. He has Not run routes well in tonight's game and had caused a couple of turnovers in both games.

st33lersguy
08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Overall he still has a lot of work to do and he needs to get more game reps and settle down, but I am willing to wait before writing him off

BlackAndGold
08-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Would anyone play Coates over Wheaton, DHB or, Rogers?

I wouldn't. He still has some work to do.

Hawkman
08-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Overall he still has a lot of work to do and he needs to get more game reps and settle down, but I am willing to wait before writing him off

Really....you're thinking of "writing" him off. How long will you wait?

I think he will be fine after a few games with "the big boys".

st33lersguy
08-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Really....you're thinking of "writing" him off. How long will you wait?

I think he will be fine after a few games with "the big boys".

No I am not. I think you took one thing out of context

hawaiiansteeler
08-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

"Sometimes it's receiver location." - Tomlin on INTs. Sounded like a dig at Coates.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor