PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Praises Conditioning Level Of Steelers Rookie Safety Sean Davis

stillers4me
08-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Due to the Lisfranc injury suffered by Pittsburgh Steelers second-year cornerback Senquez Golson during a training camp practice last week, rookie safety Sean Davis figures to get plenty of opportunities during the next several weeks to show he’s capable of handling the slot cornerback position this year in the team’s sub package defense. Davis, the team’s second-round draft pick this year out of Maryland, has impressed head coach Mike Tomlin so far during training camp when it comes to how he has prepared his body for his rookie season.

“More than anything, he’s highly conditioned,” Tomlin said of Davis Tuesday following the Steelers first of two joint training camp practices against the Detroit Lions. “He’s one of the few rookies that I’ve seen that really kind of looks like he’s come prepared from a conditioning standpoint. So it’s not a knock against the others, it’s really a tip of the cap to him and I think that’s the first place that allows him to grow and take extra reps.”............

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/mike-tomlin-praises-conditioning-level-steelers-rookie-safety-sean-davis/

GBMelBlount
08-10-2016, 09:49 AM
“He’s one of the few rookies that I’ve seen that really kind of looks like he’s come prepared from a conditioning standpoint.

So it’s not a knock against the others, it’s really a tip of the cap to him and I think that’s the first place that allows him to grow and take extra reps.”............

It sounds like a knock.

It amazes me that these guys have an opportunity of a life time and many still come in unprepared and out of condition.

Craic
08-10-2016, 02:01 PM
It sounds like a knock.

It amazes me that these guys have an opportunity of a life time and many still come in unprepared and out of condition.

I don't think it's that as much as it is rookies continually underestimating what it means to "be in shape" in the NFL. Remember, up until now, they've had a fall season, and a few spring practices. But the NFL season at this point is pretty much a 10-11 month cycle, with one to two months off in the spring for their bodies to heal before they begin again. I'd even bet that some of them come to camp in as good shape as they've ever been, only to find out it's not nearly enough.

tube517
08-10-2016, 02:40 PM
I don't think it's that as much as it is rookies continually underestimating what it means to "be in shape" in the NFL. Remember, up until now, they've had a fall season, and a few spring practices. But the NFL season at this point is pretty much a 10-11 month cycle, with one to two months off in the spring for their bodies to heal before they begin again. I'd even bet that some of them come to camp in as good shape as they've ever been, only to find out it's not nearly enough.

Good point.

Look at Dupree and Le'Doobion. They came back after their rookie year in better shape.

Deebo should have his own minicamp/weight training camp. :chuckle: Make the rookies shine his motorcycle (after working out) outside in the 100+ degree heat in Arizona. Then arm wrestle him.