PDA

View Full Version : Military Bans Video Game

SteelerEmpire
09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
That means NO ONE in the Military can have this game ! Not even in his/her family's house hold...
--------------------------

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Military bases across the U.S. have banned the sale of a new video game that lets a player pretend to be a Taliban fighter and "shoot" U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

"Medal of Honor" by Electronic Arts, a major game developer based in Redwood City, Calif., hits stores Oct. 12. Gamers are scoffing at the decision, saying that advanced technology has made it commonplace in the gaming world to let players switch sides and play the bad guy.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/military-bans-video-game-that-kills-us-troops/1410232

Hindes204
09-10-2010, 11:56 PM
That means NO ONE in the Military can have this game ! Not even in his/her family's house hold...
--------------------------

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Military bases across the U.S. have banned the sale of a new video game that lets a player pretend to be a Taliban fighter and "shoot" U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

"Medal of Honor" by Electronic Arts, a major game developer based in Redwood City, Calif., hits stores Oct. 12. Gamers are scoffing at the decision, saying that advanced technology has made it commonplace in the gaming world to let players switch sides and play the bad guy.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/military-bans-video-game-that-kills-us-troops/1410232

Did you even read the article or did you just skim over the title and come to that conclusion....I am in the military and your statement is just a flat out lie

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Troops will be allowed to own copies, but they would have to buy them off-base.

Well, I would hope that NO ONE buys this game. I really don't think I need to explain why ...

steelerdude15
09-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Well that's stupid, but understandable at the same time.

Borski
09-11-2010, 01:24 AM
That means NO ONE in the Military can have this game ! Not even in his/her family's house hold

It doesn't mean that at all...

They just aren't selling it on the bases, people can own it in their house if they want, they just have to go off base or order it online to get it.

It's the military base, stores that operate there work under the military policy, the military can choose if it wants to ban stuff on their own base.

Borski
09-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Well, I would hope that NO ONE buys this game. I really don't think I need to explain why ...

Why?

"the multiplayer version allows a player to role-play as a member of the Taliban." that part? Its the multilayer, some people have to be the good guys and others have to be the bad guys, thats the way these type of games have worked since the genre started, would you rather it be USA vs USA?

steelerdude15
09-11-2010, 01:26 AM
You know you can already do this on COD on online play?

Borski
09-11-2010, 01:30 AM
yes I do, that was my point. I don't have a problem with it. If the Military wants to ban it though thats their choice.

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 01:39 AM
I have a problem with a game based on a war we're still fighting. Period!! Our soldiers are still losing their lives over there. If you want to play a shooter game, then join the military and go defend your country. I just find it disrespectful to those who are putting their lives on the line everyday. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Borski
09-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I have a problem with a game based on a war we're still fighting. Period!! Our soldiers are still losing their lives over there. If you want to play a shooter game, then join the military and go defend your country. I just find it disrespectful to those who are putting their lives on the line everyday. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Valid point, but sometimes games like that can help with recruitment, my friend Jon played alot of war games and eventually enlisted in the military.

Hindes204
09-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Valid point, but sometimes games like that can help with recruitment, my friend Jon played alot of war games and eventually enlisted in the military.

its a little different when youve been there....and have fellow unit members over there right now.....and most likely will be heading back sometime soon

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 01:55 AM

I get what you're saying. My son plays some war games, but they're based on WWII. I don't have a problem with that. I just find it hard to fathom that anyone would want to play a game and take the side of the Taliban while we're actually at war with them. Even if it's just a game, it seems awfully disrespectful to our men and women who are risking their lives for us.

As far as helping recruitment, maybe we need to do a better job of convincing our youths how great this country is and that it's worth fighting for. :noidea:

Borski
09-11-2010, 02:05 AM
its a little different when youve been there....and have fellow unit members over there right now.....and most likely will be heading back sometime soon

I believe thats exactly why they banned it on the bases. I don't like the ones based in current day, I tried COD MW2 and it was uncomfortable playing it since it was based in current day.

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Borski, if your friend Jon is still serving, I pray that he remains safe. :drink:

Borski
09-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Borski, if your friend Jon is still serving, I pray that he remains safe. :drink:

Me too, our friendship kinda fell threw a few years back so I'm not sure whats going on now, last I heard he was in South Korea but that was a few years ago.

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Me too, our friendship kinda fell threw a few years back so I'm not sure whats going on now, last I heard he was in South Korea but that was a few years ago.

Well, wherever he is, keep him in your thoughts.

The WH
09-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Someone at EA paid off a high up military official to ban this game and get it press. Itīs the only way in Hell MOH is going to scratch its way back into a market that already cornered by Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo.

SteelerEmpire
09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Did you even read the article or did you just skim over the title and come to that conclusion....I am in the military and your statement is just a flat out lie

LOL...Granted that it is "legal" to purchase the game off base... but let an officer or higher ranked enlisted catch a service member playing that game. It won't look good for whoever owns it "off the record". I remember a song by "Sir Mix a Lot" called "My National Anthem"... If you played that song in the face of your superiors (especially over and over again) you will be made an out-cast. Yea. they can buy it, but I dare any service member to play it in front of the upper ranked of their unit. But then again, maybe its just my philosophy as I was pretty gung ho and made rank every time I was up for it as a result.
When I was in there, such a thing would be a 'code word' that you are not to touch it... if you value your military career...

The WH
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
itīs a fictional game......who gives a shit?

Vis
09-11-2010, 04:39 PM

I kinda agree with this, not with the banning but with saying EA is disrespectful. I think playing Nazis would be ok but not in a concentration camp. Playing the Japanese in a pacific campaign would be fine too. Not sure why I react differently depending on the enemy.

LLT
09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I kinda agree with this, not with the banning but with saying EA is disrespectful. I think playing Nazis would be ok but not in a concentration camp. Playing the Japanese in a pacific campaign would be fine too. Not sure why I react differently depending on the enemy.

..and Nazi ZOMBIES are definately okay to kill.

Though I'm not really sure if being a "nazi" zombie makes them more evil.

Wallace108
09-11-2010, 06:28 PM

I think it's all about the timing. Nazis no longer pose a threat to us or our troops, whereas the Taliban does. And yeah, I'm against banning it (although I wish it wouldn't have been made in the first place) ... I'd just hope that Americans wouldn't buy it.