PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger finally considered a top-tier quarterback

polamalubeast
08-09-2016, 10:46 AM
One of the best debates in the NFL is all about what makes a quarterback elite. We love to throw the terms elite and franchise quarterback around but these terms are so ambiguous it is hard to come to any sort of consensus. So what we have come to are lumping groups of quarterbacks into tiers. Is Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger among that top tier?

According to ESPN, the answer is yes. Writer Mike Sando polled various insiders to help formulate these tiers. Here is who he brought in to put this list together:

The voting panel for our third annual NFL QB Tier Rankings consisted of 42 league insiders — 10 general managers, five head coaches, seven offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, eight personnel evaluators and seven other position coaches/executives.

And when the dust settled Roethlisberger, along with Tom Brady of the New England Patriots and Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers made the cut.

Here’s what Sando said about the choice of Big Ben.

Thirty-three of 42 voters placed Roethlisberger in the top tier, drawing a clear line between him and the quarterbacks listed below. There were zero complaints about the 16 interceptions Roethlisberger threw last season. Insiders understood how much pressure was on the Steelers’ quarterback while he averaged 39.1 pass attempts per game.

read more

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/09/ben-roethlisberger-finally-considered-a-top-tier-quarterback/

tube517
08-09-2016, 11:04 AM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but he is just a playground QB and a game manager :sarcasm:

BigNastyDefense
08-09-2016, 11:48 AM
We have known this for a long time. If he stays healthy and plays 15-16 games (maybe he sits out week 17 if we don't NEED the win for playoff seeding), he should be in contention for MVP.

pczach
08-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Does this mean we should welcome all the NFL insiders to the party after all these years?

You mean they finally figured it out? Well....Whoop-de-fucking-dooooo!

http://www.winniecooper.net/lucky/lucky/whoop_dee_doo_1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dargcFZ.gif

fansince'76
08-09-2016, 02:35 PM
HURR DURR, HEEZ DA BESSED WENN ITT CUMZ TWO RAYPE, HURR DURR...

:jerkit:

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2016, 02:36 PM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but he is just a playground QB and a game manager :sarcasm:

if only Ben studied more film and was a better leader like Peyton...

AtlantaDan
08-09-2016, 03:43 PM
if only Ben studied more film and was a better leader like Peyton...

So it was you who gave this quote in the article attributed to an unnamed coordinator? :wink02:

An offensive coordinator described Roethlisberger's evolution succinctly.

"He is probably as close to a 2 as a 1 can be," this coordinator said. "He has never been a guy who studied the game like Peyton did. He has been playing for 10 years and he is not a dumb guy, so he has figured it out just because he has played it, not so much because of the [extra] time he has put in."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/2016-nfl-qb-tier-rankings/story?id=41230629

polamalubeast
08-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Roethlisberger is a top tier QB

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17254466

Edman
08-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Who are you fooling, ESPN?

Ben's a Top Tier QB... until the season starts and they start masturbating to Brady and Rodgers or Scam Newton has his highlight reels.

Then Ben will go back to being an honorable mention.

I can't believe you guys are falling for this.

SteelerFanInStl
08-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Ben's a Top Tier QB... until the season starts and they start masturbating to Brady and Rodgers or Scam Newton has his highlight reels.

Don't forget Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck, who these idiots always seem to rank higher than Ben.

vasteeler
08-09-2016, 04:39 PM
We have known this for a long time. If he stays healthy and plays 15-16 games (maybe he sits out week 17 if we don't NEED the win for playoff seeding), he should be in contention for MVP.

not in roger goodells nfl:nono:

GRAYGHOST668
08-09-2016, 05:16 PM
The STEELERS have stomped to many top teams and has won 6 RINGS,,,,,,we all know they will never get any love from the media,,,,,,hell yeah Ben is a top tier QB,,,there is only one QB playing now that I would even think about putting ahead of Ben,,,and I hate the guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BRADY,,,,and Rodgers ,,,ha,,,he is a toad

teegre
08-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Post. Of. The. Off-Season!!! :applaudit:

polamalubeast
08-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Don't forget Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck, who these idiots always seem to rank higher than Ben.

This is true for the top 100 voted by the players, but his rankings are not credible.Ben starts to be more respected by the media since at least 1 year.

polamalubeast
08-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Accurate Roethlisberger Ranked Third-Best QB In Recent Poll Of League Insiders

The praise for Roethlisberger on ESPN.com doesn’t stop with those rankings, however, as Scott Kacsmar ranked the Steelers quarterback as the second-most accurate passer in the league last season.

Roethlisberger graded out with a C%+ rating of 6.8 percent which stands for percentage points better than average. Finishing ahead of Roethlisberger was Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson as his C%+ rating was 7.3 percent.

Kacsmar writes:

Roethlisberger has had many seasons with a better TD-INT ratio than he had last year (21-16), but 2015 may have been the best he has ever thrown the ball physically. Roethlisberger’s QBR was 76.9, the highest of his career, as he led a vertical attack that saw him average 10.3 air yards per attempt, but still complete 68 percent of his passes. He also had the hot hand on the short stuff. Roethlisberger completed 83.3 percent of his passes thrown within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage; no other quarterback eclipsed 80 percent. Roethlisberger’s 2015 average of 328.2 passing yards per game was the third-highest season in NFL history.

Once again, not overly surprising if you watched Roethlisberger play last season.

There is quite a lot of great information in both of these Insider posts that I linked to in addition to a few quotes. It’s articles such as these that make the yearly subscription worthwhile.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/accurate-roethlisberger-ranked-third-best-qb-recent-poll-league-insiders/

Craic
08-09-2016, 09:23 PM
This is true for the top 100 voted by the players, but his rankings are not credible.Ben starts to be more respected by the media since at least 1 year.

Ben also seems to be a lot more consistent over the last couple of years than he was previously. I always thought Ben had more talent than what we saw on the field, and I think only in the last two or so years has he really exploited that last 5 or 6 percent of talent. Up till then, I always saw him as top 5-ish. Now, he's a solid top five and give or take any given Sunday, often peaks as the top NFL QB on that day.

polamalubeast
08-12-2016, 09:10 AM

polamalubeast
08-12-2016, 09:29 AM

polamalubeast
08-12-2016, 09:43 AM

tube517
08-12-2016, 09:44 AM
I think George Whitfield had at least a little something to do w/Ben's improvement.

Mamaduck43
08-12-2016, 11:29 AM
I don't care where Ben is placed, as long as he is playing for us, and as long as he is ranked ahead of the "Baltimore Bozo"!!!!!!

steel striker
08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Yep it's unreal that Ben has never gotten the respect that he deserves!

Crow-Magnon
08-14-2016, 06:48 AM
I don't care where Ben is placed, as long as he is playing for us, and as long as he is ranked ahead of the "Baltimore Bozo"!!!!!!

Hey now! :lol:

How much gas in the tank do you think Ben has? Been a starter since Game 2 of his 2004 rookie season (you can thank Baltimore for that- sorry Maddox) and has sure taken his share of hits. More than his share. He's big and tough to get down, so he has taken a lot of second and third pops fighting of sacks that QB's like Manning or Brady would have folded on. That's got to catch up to him at some point. How many good years do you think he has left?

I'll say this- there may have been better scramblers than Ben, and maybe more accurate passers than Ben, but I think he is probably the best QB that I've ever seen throwing the ball while on the run. He also (damn him!) has probably the best pump fake I've seen. He still dupes corners and safeties with that move.

stillers4me
08-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Hey now! :lol:

How much gas in the tank do you think Ben has? Been a starter since Game 2 of his 2004 rookie season (you can thank Baltimore for that- sorry Maddox) and has sure taken his share of hits. More than his share. He's big and tough to get down, so he has taken a lot of second and third pops fighting of sacks that QB's like Manning or Brady would have folded on. That's got to catch up to him at some point. How many good years do you think he has left?

I'll say this- there may have been better scramblers than Ben, and maybe more accurate passers than Ben, but I think he is probably the best QB that I've ever seen throwing the ball while on the run. He also (damn him!) has probably the best pump fake I've seen. He still dupes corners and safeties with that move.

Welcome back, Crow!

This can only mean one thing....Football Has Returned! :yay3:

Crow-Magnon
08-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Welcome back, Crow!

This can only mean one thing....Football Has Returned! :yay3:

I'm just getting started. I don't get real excited until the third preseason game. After that it's a week until the ho-hum fourth game and then it's Game On!