PDA

View Full Version : First Steelers depth chart

polamalubeast
08-08-2016, 02:17 PM

steelreserve
08-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Markus Wheaton as #2 WR. Please fix this by the start of the season.

Yes, he's probably our #2 receiver on paper based on yards and number of snaps last season. He is not a good #2 receiver. He excels in the slot but mostly sucks on the outside. Am hoping DHB (who was better than Wheaton when Bryant was out last year) or Coates gets a shot at that role, because otherwise we are going to be standing around for the first few games saying "this was Wheaton's big chance to break out, why isn't he taking advantage."

polamalubeast
08-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Markus Wheaton as #2 WR. Please fix this by the start of the season.

Yes, he's probably our #2 receiver on paper based on yards and number of snaps last season. He is not a good #2 receiver. He excels in the slot but mostly sucks on the outside. Am hoping DHB (who was better than Wheaton when Bryant was out last year) or Coates gets a shot at that role, because otherwise we are going to be standing around for the first few games saying "this was Wheaton's big chance to break out, why isn't he taking advantage."

When Coates will be on the field, Wheaton will be in the slot.Last year, Wheaton would maybe had 1,000 yards if Roethlisberger would not have been injured.He is a good player.

steelreserve
08-08-2016, 04:03 PM
When Coates will be on the field, Wheaton will be in the slot.Last year, Wheaton would maybe had 1,000 yards if Roethlisberger would not have been injured.He is a good player.

Yes, he's a good player, but you have to use him in the right role, that's all. I'm not sure if the coaches recognized last year that he was actually a much better receiver from the slot position, or whether he just got pushed there by blind luck because Bryant came back from suspension.

If they try to force him as the #2 to start the season, it'll be a very frustrating situation that's not taking full advantage of his talent - which is actually for a very different specialty than they probably envisioned when they drafted him (and which they might still be hung up on, which is why this worries me).

polamalubeast
08-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Yes, he's a good player, but you have to use him in the right role, that's all. I'm not sure if the coaches recognized last year that he was actually a much better receiver from the slot position, or whether he just got pushed there by blind luck because Bryant came back from suspension.

If they try to force him as the #2 to start the season, it'll be a very frustrating situation that's not taking full advantage of his talent - which is actually for a very different specialty than they probably envisioned when they drafted him (and which they might still be hung up on, which is why this worries me).

During the suspension of Bryant,it was DHB who was in outside when the steelers were with 3 WR on the field.Wheaton was on the slot.

For the rest I agree.The best formation of the steelers is 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.I hope to see more of that this year.

tube517
08-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Still early. We haven't even played a preseason game yet Thanks NFL! :wink02:

Born2Steel
08-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Green may fill the slot WR as well. James being the TE in that situation.

polamalubeast
08-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Green may fill the slot WR as well. James being the TE in that situation.

The important thing is that the best players are as often as possible on the field.

lotas
08-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Wheaton made a lot of tough catches and big plays last year that seem to go largely unnoticed. It's easy to have your efforts and talent diminished playing next to Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, but watch his highlights and tell me he didn't have some incredibly difficult catches as well as big plays and TD's in big moments. He's still young and developing his talent, I have all the faith in the world in Wheaton. I'm excited as hell about Coates and Rogers but I think Wheaton has steadily improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8cLOyQmKo

Look at his catches @ 1:47 and @2:02, he's a quiet beast that is largely overshadowed by two all stars, but he can catch the hell out of the ball.

steelreserve
08-09-2016, 01:28 AM
Wheaton made a lot of tough catches and big plays last year that seem to go largely unnoticed. It's easy to have your efforts and talent diminished playing next to Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, but watch his highlights and tell me he didn't have some incredibly difficult catches as well as big plays and TD's in big moments. He's still young and developing his talent, I have all the faith in the world in Wheaton. I'm excited as hell about Coates and Rogers but I think Wheaton has steadily improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8cLOyQmKo

Look at his catches @ 1:47 and @2:02, he's a quiet beast that is largely overshadowed by two all stars, but he can catch the hell out of the ball.

That's all well and good, but he just seems to have trouble getting open as the #2 receiver. I don't know why there's such a difference, I'm not questioning his overall ability, it's just one of those things that seems to work that way. He can still be super valuable to the team, but I hope they play to his strengths.

Born2Steel
08-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Big Dan gets the nod in the middle....very cool.

hawaiiansteeler
08-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Big Dan gets the nod in the middle....very cool.

I'm pretty sure the plan as much possible will be to play Big Dan on running downs and Hargrave on passing downs...