PDA

View Full Version : Johnson adds depth to Steelers' LBs, brings familiarity with defensive concepts

stillers4me
08-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Defensively, the Steelers are confident they have plugged the leaks that prevented them from turning back the Denver Broncos in the waning minutes of the AFC divisional playoff game last season.

They bolstered the secondary with a first-round pick, cornerback Artie Burns. They added depth and athleticism with versatile rookie Sean Davis, who is likely to play safety and cornerback with Senquez Golson out with a foot ailment.

But the Steelers also strengthened an already talented linebacker corps and beefed up their special teams with the signing of Steven Johnson.
Johnson, who spent 2015 with the Tennessee Titans, expects to play a pivotal role for the Steelers. The fifth-year inside linebacker, along with Vince Williams, is projected to spell Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier.

“I'm familiar with the defense, but I have to figure out some of the kinks, bolts and nuggets,” said Johnson, a former walk-on at Kansas. “I'll be good to go once I get that. It's all the same concepts. It's the same defense but some different terminology.” .............

Read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10825281-74/johnson-steelers-linebacker

Drazo85
08-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Are there any news about Tyler Matakevich? How is he doing in TC?

Born2Steel
08-05-2016, 10:19 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers lost two veteran contributors at inside linebacker when Sean Spence and Terence Garvin left in free agency over the offseason, but quality depth behind starters Ryan Shazier and Lawrence Timmons looks as if it will remain a luxury for defensive coordinator Keith Butler.
Vince Williams is entering his fourth season and has started 13 games over his first three seasons. Steven Johnson was signed as a free agent and will compete for a spot along with L.J. Fort and rookie seventh-round pick Tyler Matakevich.
Fort, who spent last season on the practice squad, has been making a hard push for a roster spot in the first week of camp. He spent most of last season on the practice squad before being added to the 53-man roster late in the season.
Matakevich, who played at Temple, is having a strong camp as has Johnson, who previously played for the Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans.
“They’re going to make it a tough choice for us, and that’s always a good problem to have,” Butler said. “How many inside linebackers do we keep? It will be a hard decision. There are some good players there. I’m happy with the depth that we have there right there. We’ll see how camp goes and see how preseason goes in terms of injuries. It’ll work itself out.”