PDA

View Full Version : Bell facing 4-game suspension.

MrPgh
07-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Missed several drug tests.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/22/report-leveon-bell-faces-four-game-suspension-currently-appealing/

BlackAndGold
07-22-2016, 09:03 AM

MrPgh
07-22-2016, 09:09 AM
It was only in June that Bell insisted he didn't miss or fail any drug tests. What a moron.

st33lersguy
07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Not worth the cap space. Make this year his final year

dislocatedday
07-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Uggh.......as noted, the suspension means he either failed or missed 4 tests. Either way this is not good.

I think this will be Bell's last season in Pittsburgh unless he agrees to a moderate deal with a lot of incentives which does not hamper the Steelers if/when he gets hit with the next suspension.

Maybe he really was high when he laid down his rap about needing $15M a year.

I love Bell as a player. He does everything at a high level on the field (running, receiving, blocking), but the team cannot make a big financial commitment to a guy who is this unreliable off the field, and already has a couple significant knee injuries under his belt.

With Bell and Martavis racking up suspensions, I think the team should go ahead and extend Antonio now. Even though they do not like to do extensions until a guy is entering his final year, Antonio is a rare exception I think. He will cost a lot, but he will only cost more if he has another great year (which I think he will).

Buckinnuts
07-22-2016, 10:08 AM
wtf ...thought blount wasnt around anymore....

Born2Steel
07-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Maybe Bell was the bad influence on Blount.

RunNGun
07-22-2016, 10:33 AM
To try and look at this in a positive way...If he gets the 4 game suspension, which he likely will, it means less tread on his tires. He will be fresh for the last stretch of the season, which isn't such a bad thing. DeAngelo is a more than adequate RB and I believe we have a talented enough team to go 3-1 or even 4-0 without Bell. It should also make his asking price much cheaper come contract talks. If it doesn't then I think you have to let him go. I really wish the NFL would change their policy on marijuana. I would really hate to see him leave the Burgh. Haven't had a talent like him at RB since I've been around. (1989)

Born2Steel
07-22-2016, 10:35 AM
RBs come cheap. The good ones, like Bell, want more than they're worth. Ultimatum time. Talent can only do so much for stupid.

steelerdude15
07-22-2016, 10:56 AM
I'm starting to lose my patience with Le'Veon. This could be his second suspension in two consecutive years for drug related issues if the suspension is not overturned. According to the Trib, he is already in the appeal process for missing a drug test.

Report: Steelers' Bell faces 4-game suspension

BY THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW | Friday, July 22, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

It turns out that Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell may be facing a four-game suspension after all.

ESPN is reporting that Bell missed a drug test, not failed one, and is currently going through the appeal process. A date for the appeal has yet to be determined, according to the report, but will be heard before the start of the season.

If it isn't overturned, Bell will miss the first four games of the season. It would be his second offense in less than two years.

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10835199-74/bell-drug-test

Also, he's lied to us, the fans, in regards to the drug tests by stating he didn't fail/miss drug tests. He seriously needs to clean up his act if this is true.

Kittyfish
07-22-2016, 10:59 AM
They say the most important ability is availability - no matter how talented Bell may be, he's been unavailable due to injury or suspension too much of the time. It may indeed be time to move on.

steelreserve
07-22-2016, 11:23 AM
What a dickhead. I mean, whatever you have to say about the NFL's drug policy and how dumb it is, he did this to himself. Fool me twice, shame on me.

It's hard because he's been SO good, but I don't see how we carry on long-term with this shit. One more slip-up and it's a whole season missing one of the most important parts of the offense, and unlike WR, you usually don't have a big talent pool of several guys who can potentially step up there.

Basically, franchise him next year and try to get a replacement; if we think it will help us have a shot at a Super Bowl, franchise him again. But enough of this type of bullshit. We can't have all our plans held hostage like this every offseason.

Shoes
07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Maybe he can rap us a tune about a 4 game suspension. Asshole!

st33lersguy
07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
What chops my ass is that Bell had been blathering all offseason about making a comeback and being on a mission and proving the haters and doubters wrong. Meanwhile he is doing drugs that he know will get his sorry ass suspended. He is a fraud and does not belong on this team. The offense was doing just fine in his absence last year anyway. The offense revolves around Ben, not him

Rotorhead
07-22-2016, 11:47 AM
This is another super talented kid who doesn't get it and will be going through the rest of his life wishing he wasn't a moron when he was younger. How difficult is it to do what you are supposed to when you are supposed to do it?

Born2Steel
07-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Anyone know what drug he failed on? I'm assuming pot again, but wonder if it was a banned drug he was taking for his knee rehab.

LLT
07-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Anyone know what drug he failed on? I'm assuming pot again, but wonder if it was a banned drug he was taking for his knee rehab.

Hearing reports that he only "missed" tests....but its as bad as a failed test as far as the league is concerned.

zulater
07-22-2016, 12:26 PM
And they keep saying marijuana isn't addictive. Bullshit.

Edman
07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Another great talent clown throwing his talent and career away for nothing.

Nothing to see here.

86WARD
07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Uggh.......as noted, the suspension means he either failed or missed 4 tests. Either way this is not good.

That's not necessarily true. If he misses one test then it counts as a "fail". Even though he really didn't "fail" anything. But if you miss the test, it goes on his record as a positive and a fail. He'd better have a good excuse, which most likely he doesn't. If an NFL player leaves the country, they have to notify the NFL in case there is a test scheduled then and in some cases, the NFL will travel to their vacation spot and test them there.

He's most likely screwed...as is the team in this situation and if he's not there the first 4 games, I have very little confidence that he'll survive the full season without injury.

ALLD
07-22-2016, 02:24 PM
A lot of drama when it doesn't need to happen if a player is committed to winning.

Mojouw
07-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Looks like the Rooneys should really consider hiring some sort of dope test coordinator to keep this idiots in line. Maybe offer Deebo the job? Harrison tells you to get in the car and go to the testing facility, what are you going to do? Argue with him? He will just knock you out and carry you there!

Leaving aside all of the things that piss me off about this as a fan of the team - I am left with one simple question.

Do NFL players not like making money? Bell would have easily been able to pry a boatload of guaranteed money out of the Steelers this off-season. Now, that isn't happening this year and maybe not ever. Same with Bryant. One more "big" year and he could've talked the team in to tearing up that cheap-o rookie deal. That certainly won't happen now. And that is just on one team. This is happening all across the league. It just seems silly. I mean for millions of dollars I might be motivated to do some Google research and figure out how to circumvent a test!

Rotorhead
07-22-2016, 02:34 PM
The only "good" thing is it was just a missed test, not an actual failed test. So aside from being a moron, he is not a habitual drug user at least.

Shoes
07-22-2016, 02:40 PM
The only "good" thing is it was just a missed test, not an actual failed test. So aside from being a moron, he is not a habitual drug user at least.

I believe the NFL views a missed test as a failed one.

st33lersguy
07-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Last year, Le'Veon Bell missed 10 full games, the Steelers went 7-3 in those games. 7 of those games the Steelers topped 30 points, one of those games they didn't score 30, they scored 28 against Cleveland in a game DeAngelo Williams exited in the 1st quarter. Another game was a 21 point game against New England in which Josh Suckbee missed 2 easy field goals and Darrius Heyward-Bey accidentally stepped out of the end zone wide open while catching the ball, costing the steelers 11 points.In the 6 games following Le'Veon's injury, the Steelers put up 211 points, including 30 against Seattle, 33 against Cincinnati, and 34 against Denver, 3 of the top 4 scoring units from last year.
The Steelers survived without Le'Veon last year and they can do it again this year as long as Ben, AB, and one of the top O-lines in the NFL can stay healthy

steelerdude15
07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
If the Steelers were to trade him, this would be the only time they really could. His contract is up at the end of this year so he can't be traded then. The only downside is that his current value is down because of this suspension, but he could net a decent draft pick.

Shoes
07-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Steelers Depot said his Twitter account went private

steelerdude15
07-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Steelers Depot said his Twitter account went private

I saw that just about an hour ago. His account has always been a public account. I wonder if maybe his agent or the union told him to do that while the appeal process is taking place.

zulater
07-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Tell me the last time someone missed a life important test without a valid excuse if they could pass?

steelreserve
07-22-2016, 03:59 PM

It's not. Some people just get so caught up in the mentality that they might as well be addicted. It's all their own dumb fault, though. But I have been around enough drug people to know there is a HUGE difference.

Tell me the last time someone missed a life important test without a valid excuse if they could pass?

Basically never. A missed test just looks better than a failed test to the Jets or whoever might sign him in two years. Strictly damage control. Guys in the position of getting blindsided by a test they know they're going to fail, I wouldn't be surprised if they call their agents asking what to do, they're told to just skip it as a business decision.

Looks like the Rooneys should really consider hiring some sort of dope test coordinator to keep this idiots in line. Maybe offer Deebo the job? Harrison tells you to get in the car and go to the testing facility, what are you going to do? Argue with him? He will just knock you out and carry you there!

No shit. While I think we do tend to be pretty optimistic about the odds that James Harrison will beat up dozens of people (who knows, we may be up to hundreds now), it seems like we could definitely benefit from someone whose entire job is to keep players from fucking up on drug tests and getting into other stupid shit in the offseason. Most teams probably could use a guy like that. Clearly there is a pattern of having young players getting busted for weed, then turning them loose the very next offseason and guess what - within a couple months, they're busted for weed again. For $100K a year you could just hire two guys to do nothing but follow Bell and Bryant around all year and slap the bong out of their hands any time someone tries to pass it to them.

vasteeler
07-22-2016, 04:32 PM

unfortunately i would bet he missed it because he knew he couldnt pass it. what a buffoon...him not you

Craic
07-22-2016, 04:33 PM
It's not. Some people just get so caught up in the mentality that they might as well be addicted. It's all their own dumb fault, though. But I have been around enough drug people to know there is a HUGE difference.
You're (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0044864) on (http://www.acpeds.org/marijuana-use-detrimental-to-youth) the (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.12703/abstract;jsessionid=4645649D4A3BC973AB4ACB67208ACB C6.f03t02?userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=) wrong (http://www.addictionjournal.org/press-releases/what-twenty-years-of-research-on-cannabis-use-has-taught-us) side (http://cpx.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/03/16/2167702616630958.abstract) of science (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/).

As to your other statements in that post, I pretty much completely agree.

smokin3000gt
07-22-2016, 04:39 PM

It's not.. unfortunately some people are just stupid. I honestly can't believe how dumb some of these idiots running around the league are. Including the one that's running it.

in NFL pain meds/real narcotics that can become chemically addictve = no problem. prescription without a second thought
smoke a doob instead = suspension. crazy..

silver & black
07-22-2016, 04:50 PM
As an opposing fan, I'm not about say s**t. I don't come for that. Actually, I know how you feel. I vaguely remember a guy named Rolando McClain, not too long ago. :rolleyes: Sometimes.... ya just gotta wonder?

steelreserve
07-22-2016, 05:00 PM
You're (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0044864) on (http://www.acpeds.org/marijuana-use-detrimental-to-youth) the (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.12703/abstract;jsessionid=4645649D4A3BC973AB4ACB67208ACB C6.f03t02?userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=) wrong (http://www.addictionjournal.org/press-releases/what-twenty-years-of-research-on-cannabis-use-has-taught-us) side (http://cpx.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/03/16/2167702616630958.abstract) of science (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/).

As to your other statements in that post, I pretty much completely agree.

I guess it depends on how you define "addiction" .. but no. I've known meth addicts. I've known heroin addicts. It's nowhere near, not even close, to the same thing at all. It's not even in the same ballpark as cigarettes. It's a pain in the ass for some people to quit smoking pot and some have a harder time than others. But addictive? Only if you really relax your standards.

Do people become "dependent" on pot ... become "used" to it and get into a rut that is very hard to break ... absolutely. But in this case, "addiction" is just a scary word that is being thrown around to prove a point.

Steelerchad
07-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Exactly. The only reasonable explanation to miss one of these tests (which counts as a failed test anyway) is that he wouldn't have passed the test if he took it. And apparently he didn't miss just one test, it was several.

This is his contract year and at the very least, he's likely cost himself significant money from whatever team he plays for next year.
As he was a 2nd round pick, there is no 5th year option I believe. If he has a good, healthy productive season with no more off the field set backs, I'd have the think the Steelers would consider franchising him. The tag would be relatively "cheap" as the RB tag is only around $11.5M (the lowest position besides TE, S, or K) and would offer us the chance to have no long term risk with him from a cap perspective.
If they wanted to tag him a 2nd time, they could with a 20% premium to the tag #. At that point he's be heading into the 2019 season at age 27, which is on the backside of a RB's career. They likely let him walk unless he's completely a model citizen and still a top 5 back.

Devilsdancefloor
07-22-2016, 06:29 PM
dwill and Toussaint here we go! bell want to be stupid he and Bryant can just go away, this is beyond stupidity

teegre
07-22-2016, 06:49 PM
BELL: Hey man, am I driving okay?

BRYANT: I think we're parked, man.

Craic
07-22-2016, 07:22 PM
I guess it depends on how you define "addiction" .. but no. I've known meth addicts. I've known heroin addicts. It's nowhere near, not even close, to the same thing at all. It's not even in the same ballpark as cigarettes. It's a pain in the ass for some people to quit smoking pot and some have a harder time than others. But addictive? Only if you really relax your standards.

Do people become "dependent" on pot ... become "used" to it and get into a rut that is very hard to break ... absolutely. But in this case, "addiction" is just a scary word that is being thrown around to prove a point.

This probably belongs in a different thread, but since it's at least in the ball park of why our players keep going back to it, I'll answer you here.

In short, you're confusing addiction with outcome. The two have very little to do with each other. The same outcome doesn't even hold for two different people with the same addiction. For instance, we've seen people laying in the streets, their life destroyed due to alcoholism. Yet, I have at least two uncles who are also alcoholics, but they've never missed a day of work in their life and are still married with families. Addiction (dependence) is sorted into severity, and based on specific criteria. In reverse order, I'll give the criteria first:

1. Using for longer periods of time than intended; using larger amounts than intended

2. Wanting to reduce use, yet unsuccessful in doing so

3. Spending excessive time getting/using/recovering from use

4. Cravings that are so intense it is difficult to think about anything else

5. Problems at work, school, or family/social obligations (repeated absences, poor choices, etc)

6. Continued use despite interpersonal problems created by that use (family arguments over use, etc)

7. Social and recreational activities reduced or relinquished for substances use (the getting, using, and recovering from substances)

8. Repeating dangerous situations created by use (driving under the influence, operating a chainsaw, etc)

9. Continued use despite physical and/or psychological problems (think the person with COPD who still smokes)

10. Tolerance to the substances increases

11. Physical withdrawal symptoms.

(Source: DSM-5)

And now, the severity:

2-3 criteria met = mild disorder

4-5 criteria met = moderate disorder

6+ criteria met = severe disorder

So - take Bell as an example. He has (publicly) exhibited problems at work due to use, and at least once, driving under the influence. That indicates he might have mild addiction. There may be other things he is hiding. But others do exhibit problems at work, at home, greater tolerance, withdrawal (vast documentation on withdrawal for anyone who cares to look), cravings for marijuana, inability to reduce use, continued risky behavior (we have a real problem with it in our little city, where people continue to drive while high—and while it may not be as dangerous as alcohol and driving, it still increases the risk of accidents by upwards of 100% from driving sober, according to certain studies), and others. All of that would indicate someone with severe addiction/severe disorder.

Is the rate of addiction to marijuana as high as cocaine, or meth, or heroin? No. But research has put it at around 20% for some type of "problem use." As for dependence, I've seen numbers bottom at at 6 percent or so, and on up from there.

tl:dr - the evidence for addiction with marijuana is incontrovertible and agreed upon by Bio-scientists, Psychologists/Mental health community, and the medical community. What is being argued now is the qualitative elements and quantitative facts around marijuana addiction. So, is there such a thing as a "functional marijuana addict" just like there's such a thing as a "functional alcoholic"? I'd argue there is. But being functional does not negate dependence/addiction.

------------

Side Note:

I'm fully expecting responses such as . . . But, but, but . . . I did it for years and NEVER got addicted! So, let me answer now.

Good for you. I drank as a teenager and got drunk many times. I am not an alcoholic. That doesn't mean alcohol doesn't lead to addiction, however. It means I ​did not become an alcoholic.

zulater
07-22-2016, 07:25 PM
It's not.. unfortunately some people are just stupid. I honestly can't believe how dumb some of these idiots running around the league are. Including the one that's running it.

in NFL pain meds/real narcotics that can become chemically addictve = no problem. prescription without a second thought
smoke a doob instead = suspension. crazy..

It is addictive. Just because other things are more addictive doesn't mean weed isn't. People are throwing away millions of dollars for a buzz. Don't give me the bullshit they're killing pain. Their doctoring their head. Just like millions of other young men. Difference being most of the other young men aren't throwing away a lucrative career that will leave them set for life in half a decade.

SteelerFanInStl
07-22-2016, 07:48 PM
At this point, I don't even care if both Bell and Bryant get shipped out. I'm sick of this shit. If they'd rather smoke than play football, then get rid of them. I don't personally think that marijuana should be any more illegal than alcohol but it is and the players know the rules. This is just being stupid.

Count Steeler
07-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Marijuana certainly does not add to his intelligence.

Smoke = broke.
Don't smoke now, cash in, retire, smoke at will.

lipps83
07-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Trade him while you can still get something for him.

I didn't want to sign him after this season anyway.

steelerdude15
07-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Trade him while you can still get something for him.

I didn't want to sign him after this season anyway.

Why not?

lipps83
07-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Why not?

The money can be used elsewhere to improve the team (meaning, improving the defense). This offense is great, with or without Bell and that is fact. Are they great with him? Yes. Are they great without him? Yes.

The defense needs help. Without Bell, there is not much of a drop off in offensive production due to how good the rest of the offense is. Really, only the passing game may suffer a bit because Bell is a good receiving back, but you have a great group of receivers (and a brand new tight end) to pick up that slack. Run game won't lose much of anything (which coincidentally is the primary service of a running back).

Trade him, and you can get a good back in the 2nd or 3rd in the draft without killing yourself for it. It is the rare back going in the 1st these days.

You don't need a stud half back to win the Super Bowl. It isn't 1995 anymore.

Marshawn Lynch and Ray Rice are the only 1,000 yard rushers to win a Super Bowl in that same year since the great Joseph Addai pulled it off with the Colts in 2007, and they probably didn't win because of Lynch or Rice (hint hint, good defense).

st33lersguy
07-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Marshawn Lynch and Ray Rice are the only 1,000 yard rushers to win a Super Bowl in that same year since the great Joseph Addai pulled it off with the Colts in 2007, and they probably didn't win because of Lynch or Rice (hint hint, good defense).

And don't forget Flacco's moonballs that he relied on his receivers to jump and go after:rolleyes:

Craic
07-23-2016, 12:14 AM
The money can be used elsewhere to improve the team (meaning, improving the defense). This offense is great, with or without Bell and that is fact. Are they great with him? Yes. Are they great without him? Yes.

The defense needs help. Without Bell, there is not much of a drop off in offensive production due to how good the rest of the offense is. Really, only the passing game may suffer a bit because Bell is a good receiving back, but you have a great group of receivers (and a brand new tight end) to pick up that slack. Run game won't lose much of anything (which coincidentally is the primary service of a running back).

Trade him, and you can get a good back in the 2nd or 3rd in the draft without killing yourself for it. It is the rare back going in the 1st these days.

If you go a little deeper into the stats, iirc, there's been very few 100 yard backs in the SB as well over the last decade or so. Teams that cannot stop the run simply do not make it to the SB.

Edman
07-23-2016, 01:53 AM
The Steelers were one quarter away from the AFC championship game...without Bell. They'll manage.

BTW, Bell can say goodbye to his 15 million, as he has no leverage whatsoever.

BlackAndGold
07-23-2016, 05:54 AM
No way I sign him to a long term contract, once he returns I'm running him into the ground, and then I'd franchise tag him after the season, to continue to run him down then let him walk.

One more failed test, it's 10 games. You can't sign someone like Bell to a long term contract. RB's can be found.

Steeldude
07-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Truly expendable. Once a dumbass punk, always a dumbass punk.

Trade him. Some foolish team will give up a 1st rounder.

Dwinsgames
07-23-2016, 09:43 AM

I would not go that far , I mean he missed the test so who is to say it would not have come back positive ?

if history is any indicator it would point towards just that .

Let him play out his deal and replace him and thank the league for the compensatory selection you receive in 2018 .

what is more alarming is the last 2 high round RBs we have taken both fizzled out of town quickly , ideally we would have never had to select Bell had Mendenhall been worthy of his draft position we would just now be looking for his replacement probably in the next draft but instead we are looking to probably spend our 3rd high pick at the pos in the last 8 -9 years

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the NFL views a missed test as a failed one.

exactly

Moose
07-23-2016, 09:53 AM
He has proven he is not a 'team' player, no concern for the team or it's player's. Time to send him packing and move on. RB's are out there.

katmandu
07-23-2016, 10:00 AM
wtf ...thought blount wasnt around anymore....Perhaps it was Bell that was the BAD influence on Blount ?

Hmmm ??

I am beyond disgusted and disappointed with selfish players like Bell and Bryant. Extremely, rarely talented kids (YES ! KIDS !) that put their own needs before the teams. Selfish, grossly immature and just down right F'ING STUPID !

This can all be summed up in one simple word. ADDICTION

Does one any more PROOF that marijuana IS addictive than the cases of Bell and Bryant ?

The destruction and embarrassment players like these cause to themselves and their teams are immense!

Is their talent and level of play worth all of this childish bullshit they put the team and the fan base through ??

- - - Updated - - -

He has proven he is not a 'team' player, no concern for the team or it's player's. Time to send him packing and move on. RB's are out there.I kills me to say this but I have to agree 100%.

If these kids are unable to control their addictions, it's time to kick them to the curb.

- - - Updated - - -

Hearing reports that he only "missed" tests....but its as bad as a failed test as far as the league is concerned.This is the same thing when someone is pulled over for suspected drunk driving and they refuse to comply and do a breathalyzer test.

They KNOW they are drunk (guilty) and refuse to cooperate any further.

Steeldude
07-23-2016, 11:17 AM
unfortunately i would bet he missed it because he knew he couldnt pass it. what a buffoon...him not you

I think is a safe assumption that he would have failed. Who misses 4 tests if they are truly innocent?

I hope they trade him

ALLD
07-23-2016, 11:18 AM
The worst part is in another thread he is proving D Smith and Skip Bayless correct when Bell should just STFU. He is making those two morons look like sons of Donald Trump.

steelerdude15
07-23-2016, 11:18 AM

If DeAngelo can run and block like he did last year without getting hurt, I won't be worried about our running game. If we lose DeAngelo, I'll be worried then because our depth/talent at running back isn't great behind him.

Le'Veon is one of the most dynamic offensive players in the game, but I don't know if someone would give up a second or third round pick at this time. His value is down because of the suspension and coming off a major knee surgery.

Steelerchad
07-23-2016, 11:27 AM
You could make a fairly reasonable argument that we are in the Super Bowl if we had Bell in the playoffs.
That fumble turned the game against Denver.

Mojouw
07-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Signing Bell does not really prevent improvement along the defense. The Steelers will not need to spend money to shore up the defense for about 3 more years (Tuitt, Heyward, Shazier, Dupree) are all on cheap rookie deals and/or fairly manageable extensions or second contracts. If the Steelers defense gets any better it will not be through high $$$ free agents, but hitting on a ton of draft picks. Draft picks are cheap - or at least they will be until Bell's body breaks down (30-32 for most RB's).

What a big dollar Bell extension would (and depending on how this all shakes out may very well still) cost the Steelers is something shiny and awesome on offense. All those high draft pick linemen are going to start needing extensions. By market comps Decastro, Pouncey, and Gilbert are underpaid. If AV locks up that LT spot, he is ludicrously underpaid. AB, Wheaton if he steps up, Coates, and whoever rounds out that crew are most likely going to put up video game stats this season. Meaning, Wheaton will get Wallace or Sanders money on the FA market and AB will finally demand that Calvin Johnson style extension.

I could go on. The real tragedy from a roster construction point of view is that the Steelers have to prepare to lose two foundation pieces of their offense in Bryant and Bell prior to their second contracts. That most likely means burning draft picks to replace them. For instance, Sammie Coates could have been Danielle Hunter. Who looks better across from Dupree? Jarvis Jones or Hunter? Next year instead of getting an OLB, maybe another CB, or an ILB to prep for Timmons' departure in the 2nd or 3rd round Steelers will most likely have to take a RB. Having to double down on positions you thought you already had taken care of sucks.

TL;DR - Bell making big $$$ wouldn't have affected the defense. It would have diminished the offense. Now who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

You could make a fairly reasonable argument that we are in the Super Bowl if we had Bell in the playoffs.
That fumble turned the game against Denver.

Deangelo Williams would have been just as good.

They might have even withstood the fumble if the front 7 wasn't so gasssed that they could stop any of the essentially all rushing plays that Peyton used to get downfield for the winning score.

katmandu
07-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Nothing to see here.Another great talent and career thrown away to DRUG ADDICTION.

Our society, the Steelers and all other Scholastic and Professional sports teams really need to address the root causation of these destructive addictions. Watching these immensely talented (and not so talented) kids struggle with and not able to kick these addictions (Drug/Alcohol/Gambling etc...) is really heartbreaking to witness.

Those of us that have dealt with addictions on a personal level (self, family, friends) KNOW the real pain and destruction they cause in the addict's life and those live's the addict's touches.

I know back in my college days at WVU (80-81) the party scene was absolutely INSANE. Very close to those scenes from the movie Animal House. The clowns on my dorm floor dealt drugs like they were candy. I will not name names, but there were many athletes that were frequent guests and friends of ours. It would be extremely difficult for an "at risk" athlete exposed to those conditions to NOT partake in the festivities that surrounded them. Then you add in the addiction factor.

My wife is a Mental Health counselor by trade. She has a Master's Degree in Human Development and Education. She explained to me the physical, mental and emotional causations of addiction. From a scientific and psychological perspective, it really is fascinating how one's brain develops and gets effected by the use of drugs and yes, the brain sees sugar as a drug too.

The growth of one's brain can get severely stunted (permanently) by the use of drugs. The brain grows from the back to the front. The human brain is not yet fully developed until the early 20s. Males take a bit longer.....just ask my wife ! Lol !

Anyways, the Prefrontal Cortex in the frontal lobe of the brain to the last area to fully develop. This is the area of the brain that is responsible for....

https://www.google.com/search?q=prefrontal+cortex&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS699US699&oq=prefrontal+cortex&aqs=chrome..69i57.5824j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What part of the brain is involved in decision making?

The frontal lobe is one of the four major divisions of the cerebral cortex. This part of the brain regulates decision making, problem solving, control of purposeful behaviors, consciousness, and emotions.

So you can understand what happens to a young person's brain when they consume drugs.

If you're really interested in learning more, check out this link below. VERY fascinating stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefrontal_cortex

katmandu
07-23-2016, 12:12 PM
The real tragedy from a roster construction point of view is that the Steelers have to prepare to lose two foundation pieces of their offense in Bryant and Bell prior to their second contracts. That most likely means burning draft picks to replace them. This is obviously one of the disastrous effects on a franchise with Drafting kids that turnout to be addicts.

The Steelers (and other teams) needs to do a much better job of background screening before drafting kids that are high risks for addictions.

IMHO, people put way to much emphasis on Draftee's physical measurables and Combine numbers. Does the name Shamarko ring any bells ? Not an addict but I wonder what his Wunderlich score was. ??

steelerkitty
07-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Nothing to see here.

Like I have been saying for more then 30 + years...you can take the BOY out of the " Ghetto "...but you cannot take the " GHETTO " out of the Boy! Bell is a Moron. And even IF he comes back after the 4 games...and say rushes for 2,800Yds on 13 yards per carry, and scores say 54 TD's on runs & catches...still would outright just release him after the season. I mean CHARACTER counts always MORE then talent. Talent is Irrelevant when it comes to winning. Bell is a Ghetto scumbag to me. I wouldn't waste a single penny on him. Let him go to the Bengals or Raiders...where HIS kind belong.

katmandu
07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Like I have been saying for more then 30 + years...you can take the BOY out of the " Ghetto "...but you cannot take the " GHETTO " out of the Boy! Bell is a Moron.

I mean CHARACTER counts always MORE then talent. Talent is Irrelevant when it comes to winning. Bell is a Ghetto scumbag to me. I wouldn't waste a single penny on him. Let him go to the Bengals or Raiders...where HIS kind belong.I know what your saying but addiction doesn't care WHERE or WHO you are.

Look at Johnny Football. Yea, he's a dickhead and all, but I'm pretty certain he didn't come from no ghetto. Most likely a Middle Class or Upper Middle Class environment. His character ? Like I said, he's a dickhead. Immature dickhead.

But what circumstances led to these two kids addiction's in the first place ?

One of the key thing for those in drug rehab learn is to CHANGE those you hang out with. Change your playground. Johnny Football obviously did not do this and we watch him sinking down the sewer drain.

The people Bell are hanging are NOT his friends if they are enabling him to continue to consume drugs.

steelerdude15
07-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Like I have been saying for more then 30 + years...you can take the BOY out of the " Ghetto "...but you cannot take the " GHETTO " out of the Boy! Bell is a Moron. And even IF he comes back after the 4 games...and say rushes for 2,800Yds on 13 yards per carry, and scores say 54 TD's on runs & catches...still would outright just release him after the season. I mean CHARACTER counts always MORE then talent. Talent is Irrelevant when it comes to winning. Bell is a Ghetto scumbag to me. I wouldn't waste a single penny on him. Let him go to the Bengals or Raiders...where HIS kind belong.

So simply because Le'Veon missed a drug test and has smoke weed before, he's automatically ghetto? That's ridiculous. There are a lot of people who smoke weed in the world, but that doesn't mean they're ghetto.

Mojouw
07-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Well considering that Bell is from some podunk town in the middle of rural central Ohio - that pretty much shoots your entire theory square in the ass.

Oddly enough black people live outside of urban areas. I know. Kinda hard to wrap your head around. This will really blow your mind - but weed is totally easy to get in rural areas too! Even wealthy places have it! In fact, rich white folk usually have the best weed!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/993/tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

ALLD
07-23-2016, 03:20 PM
He is either weak or thought he could beat the system. They might have been testing him once every 60 days and then threw in a weekly or something like that to trip him up.

Craic
07-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Truly expendable. Once a dumbass punk, always a dumbass punk.

Trade him. Some foolish team will give up a 1st rounder.

Yeah, but do you really want to trade him to Cleveland? :chuckle:

smokin3000gt
07-23-2016, 06:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dzDb5v744

:chuckle:

Hawkman
07-23-2016, 08:13 PM

Wow!!! Really? Your ignorance is astounding!

teegre
07-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Ghetto??? ... funny, he doesn't look Jewish. :huh:

SteelerFanInStl
07-23-2016, 10:04 PM

I'm glad that it's not just me that feels that this post is completely ignorant. Probably the most ignorant one that I've read on this forum all year.

katmandu
07-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Well considering that Bell is from some podunk town in the middle of rural central Ohio - that pretty much shoots your entire theory square in the ass.
Almost got it. He's actually from Reynoldsburg which is about 10 miles due East of Columbus. It's a pretty nice middle class suburb. Certainly not a ghetto by any means.

Oddly enough black people live outside of urban areas. I know. Kinda hard to wrap your head around.

What's funny as hell about this is HOFer Chris Carter ! Remember his dumb ass comment at that Rookie Symposium where he told them to always have a Fall guy ? He's talking all tough and bad assed and said HE was from the ghetto ?

Well, Chris actually grew up here in Troy, Ohio (where I live now). I know several of his kin. Troy just North of Dayton and about as white middle class as you can get ! The closest ghetto is 30 miles away in West Dayton ! I literally fell of my chair LMFAO when Chris made those comments !

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad that it's not just me that feels that this post is completely ignorant. Probably the most ignorant one that I've read on this forum all year.Racist as hell is what it is. Totally uncalled for.

fansince'76
07-24-2016, 02:17 AM
What's funny as hell about this is HOFer Chris Carter ! Remember his dumb ass comment at that Rookie Symposium where he told them to always have a Fall guy ? He's talking all tough and bad assed and said HE was from the ghetto ?

Well, Chris actually grew up here in Troy, Ohio (where I live now). I know several of his kin. Troy just North of Dayton and about as white middle class as you can get ! The closest ghetto is 30 miles away in West Dayton ! I literally fell of my chair LMFAO when Chris made those comments !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEW7scj-_Mw

RunNGun
07-24-2016, 03:42 AM
I'm going to go ahead and be a realist here. I could give two shits less what Steelers players do off the field. I don't give a damn about their personal lives just like they don't give a damn about mine. They're human. They're not animals. The only thing that separates us is money, fame, and athletic ability. Besides that, we share a lot of the same thoughts.

I just want to see the Steeleres win. I don't understand why people want to get so involved in the happenings of these athletes lives. I disagree 100% with people who think he should be kicked off the team, or let go after the year is up. He's going to serve his time and come back to the field better than ever. And as soon as he does that everyone will forget about his marijuana problem.

What we all want is to win football games and ultimately win a super bowl. LeVeon Bell is one of the most key ingredients in that recipe. Stop throwing him under the bus and support that boy.

Stop pretending like you care about the integrity. If the NFL tested every player daily, or even weekly, we may not have games on Sundays, due to all the suspensions. The PEDs are out there and easy to get ahold of. If a player wants to get paid, it's an easy choice. If a player goes out on the weekend, they're going to be offered the best weed at the gathering. These are temptations that most of us have never faced.

j-d-s
07-24-2016, 04:16 AM
I'd try to resign him right now to a long-term deal which goes poof once he is suspended again. We might get a massive bargain right now compared to the end of the season.

Hawkman
07-24-2016, 06:50 AM
I'd try to resign him right now to a long-term deal which goes poof once he is suspended again. We might get a massive bargain right now compared to the end of the season.

Not such a bad idea.

silver & black
07-24-2016, 07:07 AM

And why do "his kind" belong with the Raiders.... or any other team, for that matter? This is a serious question, and not meant as a snarky response.

SteelerFanInStl
07-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Racist as hell is what it is. Totally uncalled for.

Yea, I was trying not to say that but that's what it sounds like to me. Definitely uncalled for.

Psycho Ward 86
07-24-2016, 08:12 AM

Yikes. Someone's been waiting to explode their pent up racism on the rural kid

Devilsdancefloor
07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
im going to throw a theory out there i hAve been thining about since i heard about his suspension. He said he felt bad last time he got popped blah blah blah, even on 420 he posted getting a drug test. my theory is he was using PED's to recover from the knee and skipped a test. i might put much blind faith in someone but until i am prove without a shadow of a doubt i am going to wait until all the facts come out.

tube517
07-24-2016, 08:35 AM
im going to throw a theory out there i hAve been thining about since i heard about his suspension. He said he felt bad last time he got popped blah blah blah, even on 420 he posted getting a drug test. my theory is he was using PED's to recover from the knee and skipped a test. i might put much blind faith in someone but until i am prove without a shadow of a doubt i am going to wait until all the facts come out.
How do you get PEDs in the "ghetto"?[emoji3]

Sent from my LG G3 using Crapatalk

teegre
07-24-2016, 08:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=s3tPfXGKrnE

vader29
07-24-2016, 09:24 AM

steelerdude15
07-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Steelers gut punch: Le'Veon Bell missed 'several' drug tests

Le'Veon Bell is appealing a four-game suspension entering the 2016 NFL season, but the Steelers running back may find it hard to get the ban reduced.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Bell didn't just miss one scheduled drug test, as has been previously reported. Rather, Bell missed "several" drug tests. (h/t Pro Football Talk).

There are countless places Bell could have been. For instance, the budding rap artist could have been in the studio recording. But there is no question that he should have been in place to get tested — preferably submitting a clean sample.

Read More: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-missed-drug-tests-several-multiple-failed-result-pittsburgh-steelers-deangelo-williams/1df0lo45ae1xa1uop8okp6wr69

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it has been reported by a few other news outlets as well.

Mojouw
07-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Almost got it. He's actually from Reynoldsburg which is about 10 miles due East of Columbus. It's a pretty nice middle class suburb. Certainly not a ghetto by any means.
for.

ok. I was going of a super brief Wikipedia entry about his high school.

- - - Updated - - -

I could totally ally see that.

tube517
07-24-2016, 11:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEW7scj-_Mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1L8l3LrzLA

Devilsdancefloor
07-24-2016, 11:57 AM
How do you get PEDs in the "ghetto"?[emoji3]

Sent from my LG G3 using Crapatalk

i this guys ghetto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2En0ZyjQgU4

hawaiiansteeler
07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Like I have been saying for more then 30 + years...you can take the BOY out of the " Ghetto "...but you cannot take the " GHETTO " out of the Boy!

have you been saying that for more than 30 years now at the regular meetings you attend?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c0/e0/38/c0e0382334aabf2c10257e6056dc05b4.jpg

steelreserve
07-24-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm going to go ahead and be a realist here. I could give two shits less what Steelers players do off the field. I don't give a damn about their personal lives just like they don't give a damn about mine. They're human. They're not animals. The only thing that separates us is money, fame, and athletic ability. Besides that, we share a lot of the same thoughts.

I just want to see the Steeleres win. I don't understand why people want to get so involved in the happenings of these athletes lives. I disagree 100% with people who think he should be kicked off the team, or let go after the year is up. He's going to serve his time and come back to the field better than ever. And as soon as he does that everyone will forget about his marijuana problem.

What we all want is to win football games and ultimately win a super bowl. LeVeon Bell is one of the most key ingredients in that recipe. Stop throwing him under the bus and support that boy.

Stop pretending like you care about the integrity. If the NFL tested every player daily, or even weekly, we may not have games on Sundays, due to all the suspensions. The PEDs are out there and easy to get ahold of. If a player wants to get paid, it's an easy choice. If a player goes out on the weekend, they're going to be offered the best weed at the gathering. These are temptations that most of us have never faced.

What people are upset about has nothing to do with character and integrity, and everything to do with harming the team by starting the season on a drug suspension for the second year in a row.

I don't care what our players are like off the field. It's not like I know them or hang out with them, or have anything to do with them other than watching them on TV and reading news stories about them. For all I care, our players can smoke meth all day, and give handjobs to shady characters in alleys all night until their hands bleed. If you don't get caught and it doesn't hurt the team on the field, then go crazy. Fucking knock yourself out.

But if there was a sign that said "Don't pet the kitty-kat or you're suspended," and you went ahead and petted the cat anyway, then guess what, you fucked over the team and I'm pissed at you. Then the next year there was a sign that said "Don't pet the kitty-kat or you're suspended even longer," and you went ahead and petted the cat anyway - then you're a fucking moron with a pattern of stupid decisions that hurt the team.

If guys like Bell and Bryant could stay on the field, then there's absolutely no question you want them on the team. If you keep going into the offseason thinking your offense is stacked, and then - surprise! - you actually don't have half your key players because they're suspended over stupid shit, you can't keep carrying on like that. This is two seasons in a row that we're missing the same two of our most important players over weed. Enough of that shit already. You can't do what it takes to be able to play, then it's no different from continually showing up out of shape every fall, or holding out over your contract every season. FUCK THAT.

... by the way, are we over the fact yet that someone used the word "ghetto" inappropriately? Yes, clearly they didn't know what they were talking about. The dogpile has gone on for two pages and multiple days now, so if they haven't realized they put their foot in their mouth by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of omg racism posts. The fact that our guy is suspended, and whatever else develops from that, is of far more interest to me than continuing to yell at other message board members.

hawaiiansteeler
07-24-2016, 04:27 PM
... by the way, are we over the fact yet that someone used the word "ghetto" inappropriately? Yes, clearly they didn't know what they were talking about. The dogpile has gone on for two pages and multiple days now, so if they haven't realized they put their foot in their mouth by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of omg racism posts. The fact that our guy is suspended, and whatever else develops from that, is of far more interest to me than continuing to yell at other message board members.

this is a message board, I only saw that ignorant racist post yesterday and exercised my right to comment on it.

if you don't like it, please exercise your right to put me on ignore...

Steeldude
07-24-2016, 08:04 PM
So he passed his 15 month probation, from last year's incident, this May/June and immediately starts taking drugs?

What exactly is Bell appealing? He refused to take 4 drug tests.

BlackAndGold
07-25-2016, 06:16 AM

Bell seems pretty confident on his Instagram page.

Steeldude
07-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Has Bell's IG page always been private?

tube517
07-25-2016, 06:47 AM
Has Bell's IG page always been private?

I follow his page. I don't remember it being private but I can't remember anymore.

steelerdude15
07-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Steelers' Bell on social media: 'I am not going to miss games, trust me'

Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell in June said he's never missed a drug test. Bell doubled down on that on Monday, but in a quite unassuming way.

Bell, who is reportedly facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's Policy and Program for Substance of Abuse for missing multiple drug tests, responded to critical fans on his verified Instagram account by saying, “I am not going to miss games, trust me.”

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10847723-74/bell-drug-test

I really hope Le'Veon is telling the truth. I want to believe him and I want to see him play a full season, but we'll see.

Rotorhead
07-25-2016, 10:13 AM
He made it private a few days ago, probably as the request of his lawyers. No need to give the NFL any more ammunition against him.

steelreserve
07-25-2016, 10:58 AM
If there actually is a reasonable explanation for it and he didn't miss any tests, then I guess we all owe him an apology ... without hearing it, I can't imagine what it would be, though.

teegre
07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bell missed the test, because he was playing Pokémon Go.

Really.

Have you seen some of those zombies -er- people wandering around... falling over cliffs... stumbling into ditches... sitting at stop lights...

steelreserve
07-25-2016, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bell missed the test, because he was playing Pokémon Go.

Really.

Have you seen some of those zombies -er- people wandering around... falling over cliffs... stumbling into ditches... sitting at stop lights...

Bah. You sound like another butthurt Team Valor loser. Mystic all the way.

http://www.teefury.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/960x485/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/a/r/art-mco-mystical-team.png?color=royal-blue

teegre
07-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Bah. You sound like another butthurt Team Valor loser. Mystic all the way.

http://www.teefury.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/960x485/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/a/r/art-mco-mystical-team.png?color=royal-blue

LOL

Truth be told: I'm annoyed at the guy in front of me who was driving 25 in a 45, swerving between lanes, who then completed STOPPED in the middle of the street... who followed that up by swerving into ONCOMING traffic (before meandering back onto the correct side).

When I was able to pass him, I saw him looking at his phone, panning it from left to right, and tapping the screen in a frenzy. :wtf:

Count Steeler
07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
We shall see. But I somehow think it is going to be the same outcome as all those athletes that plead ignorance about taking steroids after they get caught. "It was really in my cold medicine, I should have known that there was a banned substance in my cold medicine, but I didn't. Damn stupid doctors."

dislocatedday
07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
If there actually is a reasonable explanation for it and he didn't miss any tests, then I guess we all owe him an apology ... without hearing it, I can't imagine what it would be, though.

My thoughts exactly. I can't see what else could be going on here though.....unless the lab where he went to take the test somehow forgot to submit results/paperwork to the NFL for him. LeVeon sure seems convinced that he is fully in the right and will be exonerated. Let's hope so.

BigBenFan
07-25-2016, 04:03 PM
http://thehalkreport.sportsblog.com/posts/22344743/le-veon-bell-will-not-be-suspended.html
Bell said he doesnt think he will get suspended! LOL!

Craic
07-25-2016, 04:33 PM

Just a guess . . . Maybe something along the lines of: I had confirmation from XYZ that my drug tests for probation would suffice for any testing the NFL did. So-and-so ignored/did not know that, but I'm willing to produce those tests again any time you need them.

Born2Steel
07-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Because I got High....

silver & black
07-25-2016, 05:07 PM
Because I got High....

LOL!

ALLD
07-25-2016, 05:35 PM
His agent should have told him the probation tests have nothing to do with the NFL tests. He still needs to meet NFL compliance requirements regardless of what the state wants.

Born2Steel
07-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Looking ahead to those 4 games, not the best way to start the season.

1. Redskins - We should be able to pencil in a W here. But heading into a game against a team that won the East(somebody had to), and on their home field, we don't want to be without our best. No Bryant, who would have been our #2WR, and now no Bell? 50/50.

2 Bengals - Always a black and blue game. They will be the ones coming in here pissed off this time. I don't like the feel of this one already, and now maybe without Bell. Damn!

3. Eagles - Again, based off last season, should be able to pencil in a W. On the road against an in-state rival? We need all of our weapons. Another 50/50 game.

4. Chiefs - Really? I think this was a 50/50 game when we had everyone. The Chiefs are a very good football team. We will need to dig down deep to pull this one out. Not saying it's a loss, but definitely shouldn't be favored without Bell, IMO.

I think the hardest part of this is we all know how close this team is to #7, and for players to get selfish and jeopardize our chance this season is beyond immature. I almost hope when he comes back, we won't need him right away because Williams is running so well. Maybe then Bell won't take his spot for granted. He could be a great player on a great team, but he has to grow up first.

katmandu
07-25-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm going to go ahead and be a realist here. I could give two shits less what Steelers players do off the field. So basically your whole premise is you don't give a fuck is a player gets stoned (OFF THE FIELD) and comes to work (Game) totally shit-faced. Nice. Good thing you don't own the Steelers.

katmandu
07-25-2016, 06:03 PM
my theory is he was using PED's to recover from the knee and skipped a test. As part of my job as a Medical Technologist, we are the one's that act as the Collecting Agents and Drug Testers for Drug Urines. "IF" Bell was on PEDs to help with his knew recovery AND he had a Doctor's Prescription for it he is in the CLEAR. However, if he was STUPID enough to consume PEDs without a Doc's Prescription then he's going to have to pay the Piper.

silver & black
07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
So basically your whole premise is you don't give a fuck is a player gets stoned (OFF THE FIELD) and comes to work (Game) totally shit-faced. Nice. Good thing you don't own the Steelers.

Well............... back in the 70's Al Davis kind of felt the same way. He didn't care what you did during the week as long as you came to play on Sunday. Hence, the saying..... "just win baby!"

I hope I'm not ruffling too many feathers here when I say this, because I like you guys and this site, but................ quite a lot of you seem to think/feel your organization is above reproach when it comes to player character. That just isn't true, no matter how much you would like to think it is. Your team is just as vulnerable to the a$$hole player as the next team.... especially these days. Yea, you would like all of your players to be great people and citizens, but it just isn't the reality of it today.

katmandu
07-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Well............... back in the 70's Al Davis kind of felt the same way. He didn't care what you did during the week as long as you came to play on Sunday. Hence, the saying..... "just win baby!" I hope I'm not ruffling too many feathers here when I say this, because I like you guys and this site, but................ quite a lot of you seem to think/feel your organization is above reproach when it comes to player character. That just isn't true, no matter how much you would like to think it is. Your team is just as vulnerable to the a$$hole player as the next team.... especially these days. Yea, you would like all of your players to be great people and citizens, but it just isn't the reality of it today.I hear ya and get what you're saying. I wouldn't say above reproach, but the team has gone out of there way to NOT hire kids with "questionable" and troubled character flaws. We all see the results of teams the don't care about a kid's backround and lack of character. They usually ended up with a shitload of off the field issues, losing the player due to Suspensions and eventually getting rid of the kid early. Is it really worth all the trouble these types of kids bring to an organization ? The Rooney's obviously feel they are not worth the trouble. So that's why you see us Steeler fans throwing shitfits when a player of ours does something moronically STUPID like this ! As you see, our fans base doesn't tolerate this bullshit and yes, we do hold our players to a higher level of accountability. True Professionals KNOW how to act ON and OFF the field. Heath Miller was the opitme of this type of human being. Yeah, it's not realistic to have all players like Heath but on the other hand we do NOT want kid's like Johnny Football either.

SteelMayhem72
07-25-2016, 06:43 PM
I hear ya and get what you're saying. I wouldn't say above reproach, but the team has gone out of there way to NOT hire kids with "questionable" and troubled character flaws. We all see the results of teams the don't care about a kid's backround and lack of character. They usually ended up with a shitload of off the field issues, losing the player due to Suspensions and eventually getting rid of the kid early. Is it really worth all the trouble these types of kids bring to an organization ? The Rooney's obviously feel they are not worth the trouble. So that's why you see us Steeler fans throwing shitfits when a player of ours does something moronically STUPID like this ! As you see, our fans base doesn't tolerate this bullshit and yes, we do hold our players to a higher level of accountability. True Professionals KNOW how to act ON and OFF the field. Heath Miller was the opitme of this type of human being. Yeah, it's not realistic to have all players like Heath but on the other hand we do NOT want kid's like Johnny Football either.

I totally agree with this^...well said and my sentiment and Im sure other fellow steeler fans as well!!

Craic
07-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Well............... back in the 70's Al Davis kind of felt the same way. He didn't care what you did during the week as long as you came to play on Sunday. Hence, the saying..... "just win baby!"

I hope I'm not ruffling too many feathers here when I say this, because I like you guys and this site, but................ quite a lot of you seem to think/feel your organization is above reproach when it comes to player character. That just isn't true, no matter how much you would like to think it is. Your team is just as vulnerable to the a$$hole player as the next team.... especially these days. Yea, you would like all of your players to be great people and citizens, but it just isn't the reality of it today.

Two part answer . . . Katmandu'll take care of my first part:

I hear ya and get what you're saying. I wouldn't say above reproach, but the team has gone out of there way to NOT hire kids with "questionable" and troubled character flaws. We all see the results of teams the don't care about a kid's backround and lack of character. They usually ended up with a shitload of off the field issues, losing the player due to Suspensions and eventually getting rid of the kid early. Is it really worth all the trouble these types of kids bring to an organization ? The Rooney's obviously feel they are not worth the trouble. So that's why you see us Steeler fans throwing shitfits when a player of ours does something moronically STUPID like this ! As you see, our fans base doesn't tolerate this bullshit and yes, we do hold our players to a higher level of accountability. True Professionals KNOW how to act ON and OFF the field. Heath Miller was the opitme of this type of human being. Yeah, it's not realistic to have all players like Heath but on the other hand we do NOT want kid's like Johnny Football either.

Part two: the issue is the culture surrounding it. Many teams, such as the Raiders of the 70s (as you pointed out), promote a permissive culture. The Steelers, however, do not. In fact, we've seen star players benched (Holmes) before there could be any league action, even. SO for us, hearing a player do something like this is not only upsetting because we're losing on on-field presence, but it's upsetting because it feels as though the player has disrespected both the coach, and more importantly, the Rooney family with their actions.

st33lersguy
07-25-2016, 07:16 PM
He says he will win his appeal. Same liar who claimed that he never missed a drug test in June. His word is meaningless

Steeldude
07-26-2016, 05:33 AM
His excuse, which took a few days to come up with, is he changed his cell number. Does anyone believe that?

Here is what I think might have happened. He finished his 15-month probation for the DUI and possession then immediately started smoking.

Born2Steel
07-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Just read this Q&A on M.STEELERS.COM, and got this explanation....."If a player is in the program for some previous violation of the SOA(substance of abuse) policy, he is subjected to random tests. Can be as many as 10 over a 30 day period. The player is given a 3 hour notice and players are REQUIRED TO PROVIDE ACCURATE, UP TO DATE PHONE NUMBERS AND ADDRESSES. If the player cannot be reached, or if the player is somewhere else other than the address given, and the 3 hours expires then that counts as a missed test."

Also addresses additional punishment by the organization. Pretty much says individual teams are not allowed to further punish a player once the league has done so, especially in a case of suspension. Part of the CBA.

katmandu
07-26-2016, 10:00 AM
His excuse, which took a few days to come up with, is he changed his cell number. Does anyone believe that?

Here is what I think might have happened. He finished his 15-month probation for the DUI and possession then immediately started smoking.If that's really what happened then that is definitive PROOF that Bell has an ADDICTION problem.

What further factual EVIDENCE does one need to prove ADDICTION ?

katmandu
07-26-2016, 10:08 AM
1. Using for longer periods of time than intended; using larger amounts than intended

2. Wanting to reduce use, yet unsuccessful in doing so

3. Spending excessive time getting/using/recovering from use

4. Cravings that are so intense it is difficult to think about anything else

5. Problems at work, school, or family/social obligations (repeated absences, poor choices, etc)

6. Continued use despite interpersonal problems created by that use (family arguments over use, etc)

7. Social and recreational activities reduced or relinquished for substances use (the getting, using, and recovering from substances)

8. Repeating dangerous situations created by use (driving under the influence, operating a chainsaw, etc)

9. Continued use despite physical and/or psychological problems (think the person with COPD who still smokes)

10. Tolerance to the substances increases

11. Physical withdrawal symptoms.

(Source: DSM-5)To expand on my friend's reply here. He referenced DSM-5 as a Reference for his thoughtful, factual reply.

So what is this DSM-5 that he uses as a Reference ? For those that may not know what it is check this out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnostic_and_Statistical_Manual_of_Mental_Disord ers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), ...

....published by the American Psychiatric Association (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psychiatric_Association) (APA), offers a common language and standard criteria for the classification of mental disorders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_mental_disorders). It is used, or relied upon, by clinicians, researchers,psychiatric drug (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_drug) regulation agencies, health insurance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_insurance) companies, pharmaceutical companies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmaceutical_companies), the legal system, and policy makers together with alternatives such as the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Statistical_Classification_of_Diseas es_and_Related_Health_Problems) (ICD), produced by the World Health Organization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization) (WHO).

The DSM is now in its fifth edition, DSM-5 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5), published on May 18, 2013.

The DSM evolved from systems for collecting census and psychiatric hospital (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_hospital) statistics, and from a United States Army (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) manual. Revisions since its first publication in 1952 have incrementally added to the total number of mental disorders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorders), although also removing those no longer considered to be mental disorders.

The ICD is the other commonly used manual for mental disorders. It is distinguished from the DSM in that it covers health as a whole. While the DSM is the official diagnostic system for mental disorders in the US, the ICD is used more widely in Europe and other parts of the world.

The DSM-IV-TR (4th. ed.) contains, in Appendix G, an "ICD-9-CM Codes for Selected General Medical Conditions and Medication-Induced Disorders" that allows for comparisons between the DSM and the ICD manuals, which may not systematically match because revisions are not simultaneously coordinated.

https://www.brainscape.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/dsm-books.preview.jpg

Rotorhead
07-26-2016, 10:43 AM
If his only defense is he changed his phone number, and he really thinks he won't be suspended, he is a moron. That is all.

steelreserve
07-26-2016, 11:04 AM
So basically your whole premise is you don't give a fuck is a player gets stoned (OFF THE FIELD) and comes to work (Game) totally shit-faced. Nice. Good thing you don't own the Steelers.

As long as it doesn't interfere with their performance on the field, who cares. Show up drunk and high every day for all I care. Now, that doesn't work for most players, so you wouldn't put up with it. But what they do in the offseason is really no one's business as long as they show up ready (and able) to play at the start of training camp.

Seriously. Hearing people go on and on about "player character" and "the Steeler Way" as if the team we root for should be on a pedestal above all the others is a total joke. We have just as many players with drug problems and trouble with the law as anyone else. We've been lucky to have our share of really good players who were also squeaky-clean and charismatic leaders, like Miller, Ward, Polamalu, and so on. But up and down the roster we've definitely had our share of shitheads. Maybe we don't go out of our way to seek those players out or encourage it, but we end up with plenty of them, and we have been known to take chances on guys who are pretty borderline. Also like every other team.

Personally I don't care if our players are extra clean and likeable or not. Field a team of all crackheads and ex-felons for all I care, as long as they win games and their behavior on the field is nothing to be ashamed of.

One last thing on the "marijuana is addictive" issue. Sorry, but it isn't. Maybe very, very MILDLY at best. Throw as many studies out there as you want; I'd wager the scientists have not, personally, known and spent time around hundreds of potheads and other drug people, and observed them over a period of decades.

What I've seen with pot is roughly the same with alcohol: Certain people with a certain type of personality can get dependent on it. For that matter, it's the same type of personality that lends itself to becoming a habitual user of psychedelics, or getting hooked on gambling or porn. And like any other drug (or alcohol), of course there's a comedown while you adjust to not having it cold turkey. That's not addiction, that's a duh.

Now the REALLY addictive drugs - heroin, meth, that kind of thing - they don't care what kind of personality you have. You can be the polar opposite of what I described and they will get you anyway. The magnitude of the symptoms described in the studies is so different that it's not even close.

So in summary ... call it "addictive" if it makes you feel better, but anyone who has spent any amount of time watching it up close knows there is a huge difference.

BlackAndGold
07-26-2016, 11:57 AM

teegre
07-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Is that what is known as a contact "Hi" ?

katmandu
07-26-2016, 02:38 PM
LOL

Truth be told: I'm annoyed at the guy in front of me who was driving 25 in a 45, swerving between lanes, who then completed STOPPED in the middle of the street... who followed that up by swerving into ONCOMING traffic (before meandering back onto the correct side).

When I was able to pass him, I saw him looking at his phone, panning it from left to right, and tapping the screen in a frenzy. :wtf:.... or crashing into a Police car while playing Pokemon GO !!

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/07/21/pokemon-go-police-car-crash-orig-vstan.cnn

katmandu
07-26-2016, 02:51 PM
As long as it doesn't interfere with their performance on the field, who cares. Show up drunk and high every day for all I care. So how do you know and test for a player that is fucking up on the field ?

How many plays does he need to blow before you start suspecting that he's playing under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 plays ?? How many ? How many "free passes" do you give him before doing something about it ?

IMHO, it's complete bullshit that athlete performs BETTER when they are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

We all know that drugs/alcohol effect the brain causing impaired judgement. Having to make quick decisions on routes to run, who to block, change of plays at the line of scrimmage all require one's mind to be sharp and focused.

Ok, now you suspect that a player IS playing under the influence. HOW do you test him for it ON THE SPOT ?

Alcohol ? Easy. Here, blow into this breathalyzer.

Weed ?? There is no reliable test out there on the market to do an on-the-spot QUANTITATIVE analysis. NONE. The only way to test for it is to pee in a cup. That test is QUALITATIVE (POS or NEG) and the THC stays in one's system for up to 30 days.

steelreserve
07-26-2016, 04:11 PM
So how do you know and test for a player that is fucking up on the field ?

How many plays does he need to blow before you start suspecting that he's playing under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 plays ?? How many ? How many "free passes" do you give him before doing something about it ?

The same number of plays as you'd pull him for fucking up under any other circumstances. Poor performance is poor performance and it doesn't matter why. By the same token, good performance is good performance and I don't care whether you're high or not.

Some players we had on the team last year didn't even need to be high to set the all-time record for fucking up.

IMHO, it's complete bullshit that athlete performs BETTER when they are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

We all know that drugs/alcohol effect the brain causing impaired judgement. Having to make quick decisions on routes to run, who to block, change of plays at the line of scrimmage all require one's mind to be sharp and focused.

Ok, now you suspect that a player IS playing under the influence. HOW do you test him for it ON THE SPOT ?

Alcohol ? Easy. Here, blow into this breathalyzer.

Weed ?? There is no reliable test out there on the market to do an on-the-spot QUANTITATIVE analysis. NONE. The only way to test for it is to pee in a cup. That test is QUALITATIVE (POS or NEG) and the THC stays in one's system for up to 30 days.

No, I don't think most people are going to perform better while high. Although speed seems to improve reactions and such.

If you suspect the player is high, the test for it is whether he's playing well enough to stay in or poorly enough to take him out. It takes care of itself that way.

Again, the whole point of this was about what players do in their spare time, not getting high on the field. Obviously you don't want that and I don't know how the conversation got steered that way, but anyway, there's your answer to that too.

ALLD
07-26-2016, 05:00 PM
The problem with weed is if it is condoned then the smokers will get sloppy and stupid. They will walk around with marijuana leaf t-shirts and do other dumb stuff. They are already some of the dumbest people to ever go to college, so the NFL has a point.

steelreserve
07-26-2016, 05:11 PM
The problem with weed is if it is condoned then the smokers will get sloppy and stupid. They will walk around with marijuana leaf t-shirts and do other dumb stuff. They are already some of the dumbest people to ever go to college, so the NFL has a point.

It'd be no worse than the NBA, if that's any comfort.

st33lersguy
07-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah, he missed those tests because he got a new phone, sounds a lot like Brady "accidentally" breaking his phone during the deflategate investigation

Rotorhead
07-26-2016, 06:16 PM
I am pretty sure Denver PD has a mobile tester that can test ppl on the spot without peeing in a cup. I think it is a mouth swap and takes about 5m.

silver & black
07-26-2016, 06:35 PM
the issue is the culture surrounding it. Many teams, such as the Raiders of the 70s (as you pointed out), promote a permissive culture.

I hear you. I would disagree in so far as, I don't believe it was as much "promoting" a permissive culture as it was turning their heads/a blind eye to it. Al Davis wanted to win at all cost..... right or wrong. I don't personally agree with that philosophy, but it's a business, then and now. As long as they performed on Sunday and won games...... it didn't matter what they did the other 6 days. I doubt it's really that much different today.... with any team.

The internet has spawned a whole new "culture" of it's own. NOTHING goes unnoticed for more than 15 minutes. There is no getting away with anything.

katmandu
07-26-2016, 06:54 PM
The problem with weed is if it is condoned then the smokers will get sloppy and stupid. They will walk around with marijuana leaf t-shirts and do other dumb stuff. They are already some of the dumbest people to ever go to college, so the NFL has a point.I agree.

Imagine how you'd feel if you took your pre-teen and a couple of their friends to meet and great with a Steeler's player. You arrive there to get his autograph and he is totally shit-faced stoned. I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed off as hell at him and would probably let him know about it !

Or the Steeler is giving a TV interview and he's totally shit-faced stoned. Sure would make the Steeler organization look like a bunch of freaking LOSERS wouldn't it ?

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure Denver PD has a mobile tester that can test ppl on the spot without peeing in a cup. I think it is a mouth swap and takes about 5m.Never heard of that technology. Even IF it exists it still would be a QUALITATIVE (POSITIVE or NEGATIVE) test only.

It would be impossible to do a quantitative analysis for a drug solely based on a swap obtained from saliva from one's mouth.

dislocatedday
07-26-2016, 06:54 PM

I agree with this generally. It always makes me cringe a little bit when our fans think the organization will only put all high character and intelligent guys on the team and field. That is just not the case. Let's face it.....most football players are not exactly anywhere close to being mensa members, and like most pro athletes they have likely been coddled most of their lives and consistently told how great they are because of their athletic abilities. I would think this makes many of them feel invincible.

Now, I do think the Steelers threshold for putting up with off-field issues with a player is probably less than the average NFL team, but I can't prove that.

Craic
07-26-2016, 07:58 PM
I am pretty sure Denver PD has a mobile tester that can test ppl on the spot without peeing in a cup. I think it is a mouth swap and takes about 5m.

There's a number of problems with those, including the inability to determine exactly how much of the drug is in the system at the time, and also the fact they can be spoofed.

Rotorhead
07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Yes that is true, it is a +/- test, but if it comes out +, then you go get arrested for a DUI and go pee in a cup. The point was, they can do that test right on the field for a +/- and if it is a + then the player can be immediately walked off the field under supervision of an NFL official and made to pee in a cup with a team there waiting to administer any tests. Not that it would matter, any player smoking up before a game has other issues as being high on pot certainly wouldnt help performance. I doubt it would ever come to this though, for the reasons stated above. The team would probably bench you for poor play before anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Bell, there are reports out now saying the tester didn't contact Bell, so maybe it was a mistake on the NFL, not disseminating the new info to the tester or something along those lines. Hopefully this blows over and is a non-issue. Then we only have the BS Harrison news to deal with.

steelreserve
07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
The team would probably bench you for poor play before anything else.

That's the crux of it right there. All this notion of in-game drug use/drug testing is irrelevant horseshit.

The coach is not going to go "Hey, my starting cornerback is playing lights-out but I think he might be high - I'm going to pull him out of the game despite playing well and make him take a drug test!"

Similarly, he's not going to go "My starting cornerback just gave up four touchdowns - I wonder whether it's because of drugs or because he just sucks! Well, if it's because of drugs I'll pull him out, but if it's just because he's playing like crap I'll leave him in."

Well, that's true for most coaches anyway. With Tomlin, if the guy was just playing like crap, and his name was Antwon Blake, then he WOULD leave him in.

steelerdude15
07-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Covering the many conspiracies surrounding the suspension of Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

Did NFL violate their own policy, in announcing Bell's suspension? Are they also covering their tracks? Or is Bell covering his own?

An interesting idea came about during a recent podcast with Christina Rivers: the NFL has a very strict drug policy, which borders on the same type of client privilege exercised in medical or legal fields. In laymen's terms, the Steelers, nor their players, staff or other personnel, are permitted to speak about suspensions before the information is released by the NFL.

Furthermore, there are certain conditions which prevent the league and it's members from discussing particular details about drug testing, and the results from a missed or failed result.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/7/27/12289566/covering-the-many-conspiracies-surrounding-the-suspension-of-steelers

Rotorhead
07-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Interesting read, hopefully this just goes away.

hawaiiansteeler
07-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Similarly, he's not going to go "My starting cornerback just gave up four touchdowns - I wonder whether it's because of drugs or because he just sucks! Well, if it's because of drugs I'll pull him out, but if it's just because he's playing like crap I'll leave him in."

Well, that's true for most coaches anyway. With Tomlin, if the guy was just playing like crap, and his name was Antwon Blake, then he WOULD leave him in.

... by the way, aren't we over the fact yet that Antwon Blake is not even on the team anymore? The dogpile has gone on for over two years now, so if you haven't realized that Blake is with another team by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of anti-Antwon Blake posts.

steelreserve
07-27-2016, 05:41 PM
... by the way, aren't we over the fact yet that Antwon Blake is not even on the team anymore? The dogpile has gone on for over two years now, so if you haven't realized that Blake is with another team by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of anti-Antwon Blake posts.

Over Antwon Blake? I'm still pissed that it took us so long to get rid of Parker.

It reflects on the coaches. That's what's relevant about it.

hawaiiansteeler
07-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Over Antwon Blake? I'm still pissed that it took us so long to get rid of Parker.

Willie Parker's last season with the Steelers was in 2009, seven years ago.

it might be time for you to move on from that also. just saying...