PDA

View Full Version : 5-foot-9 Senquez Golson plans to play big for Steelers

BlackAndGold
07-21-2016, 12:26 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers' defensive reconstruction has been underway for four years now, with seven of the team's eight top-two-round draft picks since 2013 coming on the defensive side. One of those picks, cornerback Senquez Golson -- a mystery after being drafted in the second round of the 2015 draft -- would assuage a lot of concerns for the secondary if he carves out a versatile role.

At 5-foot-9 with quickness and zone-defense experience, Golson seems a natural fit in the slot. But Golson, who missed all of 2015 with a torn labrum, said the Steelers are working him on the inside and outside.

And Golson loves the outside. He's taking to the inside spot as well, but he thrives off the one-on-one matchups with bigger receivers by the sideline.

He feels size isn't an issue for him there. Just check his experience at Ole Miss, where he recorded 10 interceptions in his senior season. In his collegiate career, Golson matched up against the likes of Texas A&M's Mike Evans and Mizzou's Dorial Green-Beckham, both high draft picks in the NFL. First-round pick Laquon Treadwell, a former Ole Miss Rebel, was his biggest challenger at practice every day.

"Being 5-9, people think you really can’t play outside," Golson said. "I’ve played outside my whole career. All the guys that went in the first round, top 15-20 picks, wide receivers [from the SEC], I’ve got two, three years of film against them. It doesn’t matter to me. Different league, different stepping stone."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19360/watch-my-sec-tape-5-9-senquez-golson-plans-to-play-big-for-steelers

Craic
07-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Love the kid's attitude.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/18/article-2607903-1D2E8FB300000578-90_306x324.jpg

Oompa loompa doompety doo
I am the perfect corner for you
Oompa loompa doompety dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

It is time that you forget about height
pay more attention to the short man's flight
I bat away points, nothing 'scapes my scope
Then I sail over head and snatch away hope
You will like the look of that

Oompa loompa doompety dide
If you're smart you'l play me outside
We will have a happy sideline
Living in oompa loompa Golson time
Loompa Golson time

Oompa loompa doompety do
I've got another surprise for you
Oompa loompa doompety de
If you are wise you'll listen to me

Bend-but-don't-break may work once in a while
But I plan on doing defense in style
We'll be smashing, clashing all Sunday long
Flying high, without any kind of bong
not like Santo' Holmes.

Oompa loompa doompety dile
I'll sail through the middle or out on an isle
We will have a happy sideline
Living in oompa loompa Golson time.

GBMelBlount
07-21-2016, 08:34 PM
I hope he stays healthy long enough for us to see if he can play at the pro level.

Our offense is in good shape so this year may come down to how quickly our young and inexperienced defense gels.