PDA

View Full Version : How Good is Steelers' Quarterback Situation?

GBMelBlount
07-12-2016, 05:09 AM
This offseason many people have been concerned about the Steelers quarterback depth, or lack thereof, but a recent PFF ranking has the Steelers near the top of the best QB situations.

Troughout the offseason, if you ran into a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and asked them what they thought of the team's quarterback depth chart the response would most likely look something like this:

"Ben Roethlisberger is the best, but after that? They are horrible."

The players who they would be labeling as "horrible" would be none other than Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski. Those two players rounding out the team's depth chart doesn't exactly scream confidence to those who have grown to expect an injury to Roethlisberger at some point in the season.

Nonetheless, when Pro Football Focus ranked all 32 NFL teams' from the quarterback position, they ranked the Steelers at No. 3.

See what PFF had to say about their ranking:

3. Pittsburgh Steelers

Starter: Ben Roethlisberger

Backup: Landry Jones

Key stat: Roethlisberger led the NFL in deep accuracy last season, with 50.7 percent of his deep (20+ air yards) passes catchable. (CONTINUED)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/7/11/12149512/the-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-situation-is-more-than-just-good

fansince'76
07-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Well, duh. In a league where the majority of starting QBs blow chunks, what other conclusion can reasonably be drawn?

Doesn't change the fact that we're sunk if Roethlisberger goes down for a significant period of time, though. But then, so is everyone else who are fortunate enough to have a franchise QB as their starter.

GBMelBlount
07-12-2016, 09:21 AM
So are our backups below average?

fansince'76
07-12-2016, 10:17 AM
So are our backups below average?

Everybody's is. The days of Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers are long gone.

Occasionally, the stars will align and a backup will be forced into the starter's role due to injury and have a "breakout" season (IE, they don't singlehandedly lose games and the team actually notches a few wins while they're starting) and that's when another team that is in desperate need of a QB promptly backs up the Brinks truck to their door in free agency and more often than not they generally wind up sucking for their new team. See: Matt Cassel as an example and, soon enough, Brock Osweiler.

Like I said, in a league where a good 2/3 of the starting QBs suck ass, the (rare) backup QB that is actually worth anything does not stay a backup.

Yeah, I know - "If Brady gets suspended, watch Jimmy G. go 4-0 cuz ZOMG! BELICHICK IZ GEE-NEE-USS!!!" :jerkit:

Right. Just because a guy "looks good" in a 7-on-7 drill and preseason games against a bunch of guys who will mostly be washing cars 3 weeks afterward doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, as we all know...

cold-hard-steel
07-12-2016, 11:32 AM
recall Gratkowski wen hr went down .

jones has got frane up now/

Rotorhead
07-12-2016, 11:57 AM
I think our back-up is servicable, meaning if we are not totally banged up (just missing BR) and we have a running game we can stay in games against half the league (bottom half that is). So Landry could win at least 50% if he was the only change IMO. That puts up in the upper echelon of teams as far as QB's go. As stated above, with the # of crappy QB's out there, any backup that can win more than 50% of games they play in will not be a backup for long. I agree, any team that has the luxury of having a franchise QB and loses that QB is done with the exception of the Broncos last season (their defense won their SB, not their QB) is done for the season.

Born2Steel
07-12-2016, 07:43 PM
The drop off in ability to lead this football team is embarrassing from Ben to Landry. Not sure why, with all the offensive talent we have. We should be able to run the ball, complete passes, and pass blocking should become easier by tons. But this team nose dives without Ben. Any QB with minimal talent should be able to score with this offense. Otherwise, they should not be in the NFL. Period.

katmandu
07-12-2016, 07:49 PM
I think our back-up is servicable, meaning if we are not totally banged up (just missing BR) and we have a running game we can stay in games against half the league (bottom half that is). So Landry could win at least 50% if he was the only change IMO. That puts up in the upper echelon of teams as far as QB's go. As stated above, with the # of crappy QB's out there, any backup that can win more than 50% of games they play in will not be a backup for long. I agree, any team that has the luxury of having a franchise QB and loses that QB is done with the exception of the Broncos last season (their defense won their SB, not their QB) is done for the season.x2

RunNGun
07-13-2016, 01:33 AM
Jones gets too much hate. What do people expect out of him? Tom Brady? He got his feet wet last year and I look for him to improve from the experience.

Count Steeler
07-13-2016, 05:34 AM
When a QB goes down, it is one thing. When a QB, C and RB are out, what do you expect? Chemistry and continuity are under rated in sports. If you can keep all your main components healthy, this offense should sizzle. However, remove a component, starting Center, starting RB, or God forbid, starting QB, then the loss is greater than the sum of their parts.

Nuances, head tilts, body language, etc. can't be developed in 1 game. Jones developed quite well after having played the pre season. Better than I ever imagined. If they play him the same amount this pre season, he will be a very serviceable back up. If 2 or 3 other main players go down as well, well life sucks.

GBMelBlount
07-13-2016, 01:55 PM
I am ok with jones as our backup.

Mojouw
07-13-2016, 03:29 PM
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB
Seems like you have two situations around the league; either you have a good back-up and a slightly above average starter or a great starter and a "who" at back-up.

I think Landry Jones stinks. But he stinks about the same as most of the other clip board carriers out there.

Still a position that I hope Colbert and others keep scouring the waiver wire for help at the position.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2016, 05:14 PM
The nfl average QBR is 82.

Jones is 77 with very little experience.

Could be worse.

Born2Steel
07-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Thing is....*If Ben misses games* the QB situation is terrible. Jones has not yet shown that he is serviceable. If he has Bell, Williams, AB, and Co., of course he can still win games because those guys can win games. If we need Jones to win a game, I have ZERO confidence that he can/will. The question is not how does he compare with other backup QBs around the league, it's directly asking about our situation. I have never seen Jones do anything to make believe he can run this offense. I've watched him in preseason, and live games. I hope he does put it together, but right now, today, he sucks. If he were named the starter for this season, we would go from being favorites to win it all, to 3rd place in our division. Only because the Browns are the Browns.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2016, 06:11 PM
If he were named the starter for this season, we would go from being favorites to win it all, to 3rd place in our division.

Jones is not starter material but I think the steelers could go .500 or better with him if they have to.

That is all most teams can ask for with a typical backup.

Born2Steel
07-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Is .500 acceptable? Of course not. That's the point of the question, right? If Ben stays healthy, our QB situation is top notch. Our offense is top 3 in all offensive categories probably. We are among favorites to win the AFC. If Jones has to play....we're not even in the conversation for the AFC. I would love for Landry Jones to prove my opinion wrong. Nothing would make me happier when Ben retires than for Jones to move in at QB and this offense not miss a beat. Any confidence in that happening, at all?

So healthy Ben, Steelers QB situation good.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2016, 07:53 PM
50% of teams are .500 or worse even with their best QB playing.

Btw, how many days until training camp.

These discussions are about as exciting as watching paint dry. Which reminds me of a great painting story starring me and my older brother arguing about whose paint was drying better when we both rolled out the walls in my parents bedroom. It is actually more interesting than this thread but I won't bore you with the details.

tube517
07-15-2016, 10:32 AM
50% of teams are .500 or worse even with their best QB playing.

Btw, how many days until training camp.

These discussions are about as exciting as watching paint dry. Which reminds me of a great painting story starring me and my older brother arguing about whose paint was drying better when we both rolled out the walls in my parents bedroom. It is actually more interesting than this thread but I won't bore you with the details.

http://www.riskreversal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/watching-paint-dry-5.jpg

Born2Steel
07-15-2016, 11:00 AM
I guess the part I keep missing is where it says 'compared to other teams' in the thread title.

j-d-s
07-17-2016, 04:56 AM
Just bring Batch back from retirement if Ben goes down :chuckle:.

86WARD
07-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Is .500 acceptable? Of course not. That's the point of the question, right? If Ben stays healthy, our QB situation is top notch. Our offense is top 3 in all offensive categories probably. We are among favorites to win the AFC. If Jones has to play....we're not even in the conversation for the AFC. I would love for Landry Jones to prove my opinion wrong. Nothing would make me happier when Ben retires than for Jones to move in at QB and this offense not miss a beat. Any confidence in that happening, at all?

So healthy Ben, Steelers QB situation good.

.500 with a back up QB until your starter gets back is VERY acceptable. I'd be willing to bet you ask any HC or GM and they will take that everytime.

As for the QB situation, it's good now, future wise...horrible. Next season they need to draft the future.