PDA

View Full Version : Is Artie getting Burned?

GBMelBlount
06-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Artie Burns vs. Antonio Brown in Steelers practice prime example of 'iron sharpening iron'

Covering Antonio Brown is no easy task, yet rookie, and first round CB, Artie Burns has been given that task this offseason more than most. How he responds is the key in this equation.

Leading up to the 2016 NFL Draft Pittsburgh Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert spoke about how he asked defensive back prospects if they feel they could cover All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown.

Let's pause there for a minute.

Put yourself in these NFL prospects' shoes for a second. Brimming with confidence as you meet with the Steelers front office brass, the question is asked. How do you respond?

"Absolutely, I could cover AB."

Really? When healthy there might be one or two cornerbacks who stand a chance of covering Brown, within the rules, in today's NFL. You are telling me you can cover Brown? I'm all for confidence, but then there is borderline insanity.

You could always take the humble route.

"I don't know if I could cover him from Day 1, but I certainly am going to give it my best shot and keep coming back harder the next time."

Maybe that is the prefect answer, and one rookie cornerback Artie Burns possibly used in his meetings with the Steelers prior to being the team's top draft pick in this past draft class. As Burns has been experiencing throughout voluntary OTAs, he is seeing a lot of Brown in one-on-one settings. (continued)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/6/11/11908488/artie-burns-vs-antonio-brown-in-steelers-practice-prime-example-of

What better training is there than being constantly matched up against the best wide receiver in the NFL?

Craic
06-14-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm fully expecting any rookie in OTAs to burned by a veteran NFL receiver. It's simply a matter of TIP (Time in Position). In truth, I'm not going to worry about our CBs until 8 games into the season. Sure, that's half the season and may end up being a wasted season because of it, but you simply cannot throw two or three rookies on the field at the same time in the DB positions and even expect to be as good as we were last year in the middle to latter half of the season.

There's going to be an extra burden on the offense to put up points this year until the rookies get some experience behind them.

GBMelBlount
06-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm fully expecting any rookie in OTAs to burned by a veteran NFL receiver. It's simply a matter of TIP (Time in Position).

In truth, I'm not going to worry about our CBs until 8 games into the season. Sure, that's half the season and may end up being a wasted season because of it,

but you simply cannot throw two or three rookies on the field at the same time in the DB positions and even expect to be as good as we were last year in the middle to latter half of the season.

There's going to be an extra burden on the offense to put up points this year until the rookies get some experience behind them.

This is my thought process on our secondary too.

Keep in mind our front 7 may be improved.

So I think if our offense is firing on all cylinders we should still be .500 or better at midseason despite the inexperience in our secondary.

Dwinsgames
06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
I am probably in the minority on this , but I expect improved play almost out of the gate ...

sure we may give up as many ( or even a few more yards early ) but with an improved front 7 a bunch of playmakers added to the secondary even though rookies and unseasoned all the new additions have ball skills the turnovers will be a difference maker I believe ..

Davis I think could potentially be our rookie of the year when its all said and done .. I like this kid a lot as a Safety , a hitter with speed and ball skills could be HUGE in the middle of the field for us and end our poor play vs TE's ...

color me excited

polamalubeast
06-14-2016, 06:24 PM
This is my thought process on our secondary too.

Keep in mind our front 7 may be improved.

So I think if our offense is firing on all cylinders we should still be .500 or better at midseason despite the inexperience in our secondary.

I'm tired of always started the season with a record of .500....It can cost us a bye, a division title or even a playoff spot because of the slow start.

Enough is enough...The Steelers need a big start, which has not happened since 2010.(Our last time we had a bye in the playoffs)

Craic
06-15-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm tired of always started the season with a record of .500....It can cost us a bye, a division title or even a playoff spot because of the slow start.

Enough is enough...The Steelers need a big start, which has not happened since 2010.(Our last time we had a bye in the playoffs)

Do I want to start the season with a .500 record? No. But the reality is where going into the season with possibly three rookies in five DB positions at one time on the field. Sec.C. is right that with the improvement up front, we may see an overall increase, but I'm not betting the farm on it, nor am I going to set unreal expectations on three rookies (as in, never been on the NFL field before - since one of them is technically a second year) playing at veteran levels.

polamalubeast
06-15-2016, 06:14 PM
Do I want to start the season with a .500 record? No. But the reality is where going into the season with possibly three rookies in five DB positions at one time on the field. Sec.C. is right that with the improvement up front, we may see an overall increase, but I'm not betting the farm on it, nor am I going to set unreal expectations on three rookies (as in, never been on the NFL field before - since one of them is technically a second year) playing at veteran levels.

If the secondary is not awful and the key players are healthy, no excuse to have another slow start.

I can live with the slow start in 2015 because of Roethlisberger's injury but the slow start in 2012,2013 and 2014 was inexcusable.

steelreserve
06-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Blake had one of the worst, if not THE single worst season IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. I expect even a rookie will do much better than that.

And that is the only position at which a rookie MUST play. You have Gay for the slot and Golden at safety, and I'd expect those two to be either starting or getting a significant number of snaps until the rookies can be worked into the rotation naturally.