PDA

View Full Version : Markus Wheaton: Not having Heath Miller “scares me a little bit”

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Markus Wheaton: Not having Heath Miller “scares me a little bit”

Posted by Josh Alper on June 3, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/504355048-e1464953595756.jpg?w=233

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said this week that he wants to see the team’s young receivers “take the next step” while Martavis Bryant serves his year-long suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Bryant isn’t the only major offensive piece from last season who will be missing in 2016. Tight end Heath Miller decided to hang up the cleats after 11 seasons in Pittsburgh.

Miller was a reliable target for Roethlisberger through the air and his long stay in Pittsburgh also made him a go-to player when teammates had questions about the offense. Wide receiver Markus Wheaton told Alex Marvez and Phil Savage on Sirius XM NFL Radio that Miller helped him out when he was “unsure” about anything on the field and that he’ll miss the longtime Steeler even while he tries to play the same role for new tight end Ladarius Green.

“Not having him there scares me a little bit,” Wheaton said. “

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/03/markus-wheaton-not-having-heath-millers-scares-me-a-little-bit/

Steel Peon
06-06-2016, 03:30 AM
"Scares" wouldn't be the word I'd use, but not having Heath is akin to not having Hines, who's absence has also been undeniably felt. Maybe Markus could ease anyone's fears by blowing up this season?

steelerdude15
06-06-2016, 09:08 AM
What scares me is not having an dependable, dual threat tight end who had sure hands when it came to catching footballs, who could run good routes, and was an excellent run blocker. We are losing a lot of experience with Heath retiring. None of the other guys on the roster are dual threat players. Matt is an excellent blocker, but can't catch a pass, Jesse is a good receiver, but needs to work on his blocking, and Ladarius has not been here long enough to know what he is like as a player.

steelamania
06-06-2016, 09:37 AM
Heath has been great over the years but has gotten slower too. I remember how much faster he was in his earlier years, he would outrun the lbs easily but nowadays the wear and tear has caught up with him so he did the right thing. More speed is what is needed at the tight end position in todays nfl and the signing of green helps that. Wheaton in my opinion is a slow learner and needs to step up if he is gonna be around next year. Plenty of others in training camp who would love to show their skills and quick adapting.....

polamalubeast
06-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Miller was not the same player last year.He was slow and he had not 10 yards per catch for the first time in his career in 2015.

steelerdude15
06-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Even though Heath slowed down, he still was the best overall tight end on the team because he was very effective in the run and passing game. I really hope Jesse and Ladarius can develop into players like Heath.