PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder surgery, contact lenses could unlock 'Big' Dan McCullers mystery for Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Shoulder surgery, contact lenses could unlock 'Big' Dan McCullers mystery for Steelers

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0601%2Fr88464_1296x518_5%2 D2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&location=origin

PITTSBURGH -- Dan McCullers is not just a defensive tackle. He's a walking baobab tree with a reach as wide as an IMAX movie screen.

The mere presence of this mammoth, 6-foot-7, 352-pound man causes a double take, even when you see him every day.

That's why McCullers' production -- 10 tackles in 21 career games -- is a bit curious, prompting defensive end Cam Heyward to stress at organized team activities that McCullers must "put it together" and "play humongous" in his third season. The Pittsburgh Steelers obviously expect the same after letting starting nose tackle Steve McLendon walk this offseason.

But there's been something missing with McCullers on the field. According to Thomas Simms, McCullers' agent, McCullers made a few changes this offseason that should help.

First, McCullers got offseason shoulder surgery, a minor scope to clean out cartilage and correct an injury suffered during his career at the University of Tennessee. "After three to four [defensive] series, it would start to hurt and he couldn't get off blocks," Simms said.

That helps explain his struggles in 2015, when in training camp McCullers would toss an opposing lineman like a Frisbee on one play, then disappear for the next several.

McCullers also got contact lenses. He was squinting a lot, and Simms started to wonder whether McCullers had issues seeing the board in team meetings. The two talked about it, and McCullers got examined.

In addition, after playing closer to 400 pounds at Tennessee, McCullers has kept his weight around 350-plus pounds.

"This year, I think they will see a different Dan," Simms said.

After Wednesday's practice, McCullers acknowledged hand usage and fundamentals have been an issue, but when he cleans that up, which he hopes to do soon, watch out.

While other Steelers defenders from the 2014 draft, such as linebacker Ryan Shazier and defensive tackle Stephon Tuitt, are taking off, McCullers understands it's time to join that group.

"I can be a dominant player,” McCullers said. "I just have to keep working. That's the big thing, keep working on my technique and fundamentals. I can be dominant. I know I can.”

The Steelers drafted defensive tackle Javon Hargrave in the third round, but he's a quicker, squattier player. He can play inside and also has pass-rushing skills. McCullers is a true run-stopping nose tackle, which the Steelers only use about a third of the time, but it's a key function for a team that takes pride in its play against the run.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19020/shoulder-surgery-contact-lenses-could-unlock-big-dan-mccullers-mystery-for-steelers

stillers4me
06-05-2016, 12:24 PM
McCullers also got contact lenses. He was squinting a lot, and Simms started to wonder whether McCullers had issues seeing the board in team meetings. The two talked about it, and McCullers got examined.

Wouldn't an eye test be a routine part of their physical? :huh:

Steeldude
06-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Wouldn't an eye test be a routine part of their physical? :huh:

Then again, with the way athletes are today maybe he can't read. Haha

I am surprised when I hear about adults not knowing they need glasses.

ALLD
06-06-2016, 06:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XJ83PRJOU

Born2Steel
06-07-2016, 12:24 PM
More concern for the shoulder. Not seeing the board is not that big of a deal for a run stuffer NT. Being a people mover is a huge deal. If this guy gets mean he could be an HoFer.

tube517
06-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Maybe he should get red contacts :chuckle:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/mario-williams-red-eyes-contact-lenses-buffalo-bills

Craic
06-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Then again, with the way athletes are today maybe he can't read. Haha

I am surprised when I hear about adults not knowing they need glasses.

Sometimes it's an issue that evolves. I didn't need glasses until my mid-thirties when my astigmatism grew too difficult. I've heard of others who grew up simply thinking what they were seeing was normal. So, it's not that big of a surprise.

And of course he can read. You don't get to be just shy of 400 pounds without being able to read the all-you-can-eat-buffet signs. :wink02: