PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Shazier's star turn; Antonio Brown talks Kid and King

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2016, 01:13 AM
Steelers Insider: Ryan Shazier's star turn; Antonio Brown talks Kid and King

By Chris Bradford

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/01/b011fd12-28f5-11e6-bac9-7b741c7638e6/56775ecfe1605.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C800

Steelers inside linebacker Ryan Shazier (50) plays against the Broncos in the second half of a game on Dec. 20 in Pittsburgh.

PITTSBURGH -- As a former first-round pick, Ryan Shazier is viewed as one of the cornerstones of the Steelers' rebuilt defense. In 2015, Shazier took a big step toward realizing his vast potential and would seem poised for a breakout season in Year 3.

Shazier had 87 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one interception last season.

"I feel like I continued to get better as the season went on," Shazier said. "I feel like I'm going to keep on that path and continue to play the way I was playing and getting this team to the Super Bowl. I'm just going to keep doing what I have to do to help us get there."

Shazier's blend of speed and athleticism are off the charts, but there have been more than a few questions about his ability to stay healthy. He missed four games last season with a shoulder injury after missing seven games as a rookie with knee and foot injuries. Shazier said he's hoping that those are behind him.

"They were frustrating but I don't like thinking about them," he said. "I don't really worry about those right now. I just worry about the future and let God take care of that."

The Steelers finished just 21st in total defense last season in large part to ranking 30th against the pass. This year, Shazier said a top-five ranking is realistic but adds that the team goal is all that matters.

"My only goal is to get us to the Super Bowl and win it," Shazier said.

NOTEWORTHY

Between his prowess on the football field and his recent appearance on "Dancing With the Stars," WR Antonio Brown might be the most high-profile athlete in Pittsburgh. The star wide receiver was clearly visible Wednesday night in the seats along the glass at Consol Energy Center. He was part of a large contingent of Steelers to attend Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final. Though the Miami native didn't grow up in a hockey hotbed, Brown said he's taken to the sport and the Penguins' success has energized the city. There's just on thing: He can't skate. But he marvels at those, like Sidney Crosby, who can. "He's the best that's ever done that," Brown said of Crosby, who he met last year while working out in Los Angeles. "He plays the game at a high level. Has been doing it a long time. It's an honor to watch him play. ... I have his jersey, too." Last spring, Brown attended many NBA playoff games in Cleveland and is excited to see the Cavaliers in the Finals. Who's going to win? "LeBron James," Brown said. "I want to see LeBron James get some revenge. Last year, he got beat, so I’m looking forward for the King to bounce back.”

Another day, another strong showing for the defense during "seven shots" to open team drills. Second-year TE Jesse James starred for the offense, pulling down two touchdown grabs, one from Landry Jones and the other from Dustin Vaughn.

With Ladarius Green, Matt Spaeth and James, the Steelers are fairly set at the tight end position. But if they do go with four, Xavier Grimble is making a good case for himself. While Green recovers from off-season ankle surgery, the 6-foot-4, 261-pound Grimble has been hard to miss. Grimble spent last season on the practice squad.

to read rest of article:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-insider-ryan-shazier-s-star-turn-antonio-brown-talks/article_2544e1e6-28ea-11e6-9fb3-4f9be923fa29.html