PDA

View Full Version : Mt Rushmore again. This time Steelers QBs only.

Born2Steel
06-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Without any discussion TB and BB go on, obviously. Which other 2 Steeler's QBs go with these guys on your Steeler's QB Mt Rushmore?

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2016, 12:32 PM
we put Terry and Ben twice each...

polamalubeast
06-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Neil O'Donnell and ?????

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Neil O'Donnell and ?????

I personally would not put the QB who threw 2 pick 6s in the Super Bowl and then left for the money to another team on my Steelers Mt Rushmore...

polamalubeast
06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
The Mount Rushmore for the running back would be very interesting....Who would be the other 2 RB after Harris and Bettis?
For the WR,this is very easy (Stallworth, Swann, Ward and Antonio Brown.)

Count Steeler
06-01-2016, 02:40 PM
We don't have 4, but Mt. Rushmore didn't start with 4. Our Mt. QB can only have 2 right now.

LloydWoodson
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Vick and Malone!

Born2Steel
06-01-2016, 03:19 PM
The Mount Rushmore for the running back would be very interesting....Who would be the other 2 RB after Harris and Bettis?
For the WR,this is very easy (Stallworth, Swann, Ward and Antonio Brown.)

Why AB over Holmes? Santonio is probably the one player I wish had stayed. He and Ben were awesome together. I know his issues, just wish things had worked out better with him. Plus....greatest TD catch in Super Bowl history. Same game, best SB TD ever by James, also.

polamalubeast
06-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Why AB over Holmes? Santonio is probably the one player I wish had stayed. He and Ben were awesome together. I know his issues, just wish things had worked out better with him. Plus....greatest TD catch in Super Bowl history. Same game, best SB TD ever by James, also.

I loved Santonio Holmes when he was with the Steelers but he is not close to Brown.

Brown has better longevity and peak with the Steelers.He has been a first team all-pro twice too(It could be 3).

Holmes has never been close to being an all-pro.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Vick and Malone!

I would also add George Izo to that prestigious list.

Izo lost both of his starts with the Steelers, completing less than 44% of his pass attempts with two TDs and eight interceptions...

ALLD
06-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Joe Gilliam

Born2Steel
06-01-2016, 05:43 PM
I would have to put O'Donnell on there just because we did get to the Super Bowl with him, even though he bet against us apparently. Maybe Slash? Or Randel-el? Didn't he throw a TD pass in a Super Bowl or playoff game?

Maybe it would look like TB with and without hair, BB as a rookie, and BB now.

tube517
06-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Scott Campbell, Kent Graham, Brian St. Pierre, Steve Bono, David Woodley

Steelerette
06-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Bobby Layne is the no-brainer third face on that mountain. The only one up for discussion is #4.

O'Donnell had a solid tenure with us, but he wasn't the full time starter until '92 and then had a disaster of a superbowl and was pretty arrogant about "leaving for the money" - then again, I'm sure he knew he'd have a hard time staying in Pittsburgh after that game anyway. Mike Tomczak was a rock at backup for a long time for us. Malone was bad but still took us to an AFC title game. Stewart was misused and arguably bad, but we went to a pair of AFC title games (yes he was bad in his role but maybe it's different if they used him different?). Bill Dudley was the team's star player around the war era.

I guess I'll go with Tomczak. And that's kind of sad. Hopefully Ben's heir will take his place...

Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Layne, Tomczak.

Steelerette
06-01-2016, 06:45 PM
The WR Rushmore would be Stallworth, Swann, Lipps, and Buddy Dial... with AB primed to take Lipps' place. (Yes, Lipps was better than Thigpen, Holmes, or Ward, as much as I love Ward. If you don't know Buddy Dial, look him up.)

The RB Rushmore would be Bettis, Harris, John Henry Johnson, and Fran Rogel... with Bell primed to supplant Rogel

The TE Rushmore would be Miller (by a lot), Eric Green, Bennie Cunningham, and Mark Bruener.

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
You guys forgot HOF Bobby Layne

QB's: Terry Bradshaw, Ben Roethlisberger, Bobby Layne, Charlie Batch (yup)
RB's: Jerome Bettis, Franco Harris, Willie Parker, Merrill Hoge (with Bell soon to replace Hoge)
WR's: John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Hines Ward, Antonio Brown

st33lersguy
06-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Bradshaw, Big Ben, Bobby Layne, and Bradshaw again

LloydWoodson
06-01-2016, 11:20 PM
How can your 4 top receivers not include Mike Wallace?!

Nobody has that straight line speed.

Hawkman
06-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Hanratty and Gilliam

- - - Updated - - -

....plus of course BB and TB

- - - Updated - - -

I personally would not put the QB who threw 2 pick 6s in the Super Bowl and then left for the money to another team on my Steelers Mt Rushmore...

YUP!!!!

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Bobby Layne's best years were with the Lions, not the Steelers. in 5 seasons with us he only completed over 50% of his passes once, not exactly Mt Rushmore material.

I'm with Count Steelers, let's only have TB and BB for now. we can save the last two spots for real QBs we may have in the future unlike the mediocrity we've had in the past with the exception of Terry and Ben...

pczach
06-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Choosing the best Steelers quarterbacks after Bradshaw and Roethlisberger is like looking for something to eat out of a garbage can. You may think you find something, but you're not going to enjoy it.

fansince'76
06-02-2016, 09:32 AM
How can your 4 top receivers not include Mike Wallace?!

Nobody has that straight line speed.

One trick pony. And AB so far surpasses Wallace as a WR by every measure at this point that it's almost laughable. Stallworth, Swann and Ward are more deserving of the other 3 spots, IMO. Wallace was a flash in the pan who has literally done nothing since mid-2011.

And as far as the thread topic is concerned, the discussion pretty much begins and ends with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Nobody else is really worthy, IMO.

But if you're going to put Bobby Layne on the list, you may as well put Len Dawson on it as well, seeing that he has HoF credentials that were built elsewhere too (Layne with the Lions, Dawson with the Chiefs).

steelreserve
06-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Randle El for throwing a TD pass on a fleaflicker in the Super Bowl.

Maddox for getting hurt in the first game of 2004 and allowing Ben to come right in instead of sitting on the bench for 3 years.

There, we have our other two QBs.

fansince'76
06-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Randle El for throwing a TD pass on a fleaflicker in the Super Bowl.

Based solely on that one pass, he's probably more deserving than any of the other almost endless rabble of scrubs we've been forced to endure.

Maddox for getting hurt in the first game of 2004 and allowing Ben to come right in instead of sitting on the bench for 3 years.

I have absolutely no doubt that he would have, too.

tube517
06-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Randle El may have been the greatest emergency/3rd string QB ever.

teegre
06-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Here is mine (in this order):

1. Roethlisberger
2. Bradshaw
3. The Blonde Bomber
4. Big Ben

Steelermania
06-02-2016, 03:23 PM
How about linebackers? Lambert, Ham, Harrison, Lloyd.
Defensive backs? Blount, Woodson, Troy, Shell.
Linemen? Greene, Greenwood, and Smith are no brainers. For number 4, do you go with Dwight White, or one of our 2 great nose tackles, Joel Steed, or Casey Hampton?
Offensive linemen? Webster, Dawson, and Faneca are easy. Who is number 4?

Steelermania
06-02-2016, 03:53 PM
The WR Rushmore would be Stallworth, Swann, Lipps, and Buddy Dial... with AB primed to take Lipps' place. (Yes, Lipps was better than Thigpen, Holmes, or Ward, as much as I love Ward. If you don't know Buddy Dial, look him up.)

The RB Rushmore would be Bettis, Harris, John Henry Johnson, and Fran Rogel... with Bell primed to supplant Rogel

The TE Rushmore would be Miller (by a lot), Eric Green, Bennie Cunningham, and Mark Bruener.

The four running backs are easily Harris, Bettis, JH Johnson, and Willie Parker. Parker ran for over 1,200 yards three straight years. None of the other candidates come close to this. Pollard topped out at 991, Mendy cracked 1,200 once, and Hoge never ran for 800 yards. Had Tomlin not run the wheels off of him, we might have never drafted Mendy. Of course Cowher ruined Barry Foster, who might have had may great seasons had they paid him what he was worth, and not worn him out back in 1992.

Dwinsgames
06-02-2016, 04:08 PM
QB's .. Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Layne and even though he never played a down for the Steelers he was a Steeler first so Johny Unitas

RBs .. Harris , Bettis , John Henry Johnson , Barry Foster

WR .. Swann ,Stallworth , Ward , Brown

TE .. Miller , Green , Cunningham, Bruener

zulater
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
QB's .. Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Layne and even though he never played a down for the Steelers he was a Steeler first so Johny Unitas

RBs .. Harris , Bettis , John Henry Johnson , Barry Foster

WR .. Swann ,Stallworth , Ward , Brown

TE .. Miller , Green , Cunningham, Bruener

Pretty good list. Especially agree with your qb assessment. But on tight ends you missed an oldie that is clearly the Steelers second most accomplished man there. Elbie Nickel. Over 300 catches (all as a Steeler) when catches were at a premium. And a 3 time All Pro.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2007/03/02/Elbie-Nickel-Best-tight-end-in-Steelers-history/stories/200703020186

Steeldude
06-03-2016, 10:44 PM

I was glad when Holmes left. He was very overrated, as well as his TD reception in the SB. He is nowhere even close to Brown, on any level.

Just my opinion.

Dwinsgames
06-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Pretty good list. Especially agree with your qb assessment. But on tight ends you missed an oldie that is clearly the Steelers second most accomplished man there. Elbie Nickel. Over 300 catches (all as a Steeler) when catches were at a premium. And a 3 time All Pro.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2007/03/02/Elbie-Nickel-Best-tight-end-in-Steelers-history/stories/200703020186

if we go to def. esp LB ... 4 spots just isn't enough no way to bring a list to 4 and not have legit complaints from many ..Good point about Nickel but before my time ( and not a household name like JHJ )

- - - Updated - - -

I was glad when Holmes left. He was very overrated, as well as his TD reception in the SB. He is nowhere even close to Brown, on any level.

Just my opinion.

this

zulater
06-04-2016, 03:01 PM
if we go to def. esp LB ... 4 spots just isn't enough no way to bring a list to 4 and not have legit complaints from many ..Good point about Nickel but before my time ( and not a household name like JHJ )

- - - Updated - - -

this

LB's Lambert, Ham, Harrison, and Lloyd. Just missed Andy Russell, and Kevin Green.

Steelermania
06-04-2016, 10:58 PM
LB's Lambert, Ham, Harrison, and Lloyd. Just missed Andy Russell, and Kevin Green.

Those four easily. Russell is on the same level with Porter and Farrior. Greene wasn't here long enough to make the list.

fansince'76
06-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Just my opinion.

Agreed, but I will say one thing for Holmes...he never badmouthed the team or the city after he left like Burress did, and he very well could have seeing as how he didn't leave under the best of circumstances.

zulater
06-05-2016, 07:23 AM
Those four easily. Russell is on the same level with Porter and Farrior. Greene wasn't here long enough to make the list.

Here's a good one. Steelers d-line Mt. Rushmore. 1. Joe Greene 2. Ernie Stautner 3. L.C. Greenwood 4. Aaron Smith

Steelermania
06-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Here's a good one. Steelers d-line Mt. Rushmore. 1. Joe Greene 2. Ernie Stautner 3. L.C. Greenwood 4. Aaron Smith

Very good! We tend to forget Ernie.

Steelermania
06-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Agreed, but I will say one thing for Holmes...he never badmouthed the team or the city after he left like Burress did, and he very well could have seeing as how he didn't leave under the best of circumstances.

Holmes should never have to buy a beer in this town. Yeah, he didn't work out long term, but we likely have five Lombardi's instead of 6 without him. He caught every pass except one on the winning drive. For that, he was worth the pick. It's all about championships. If Uncle Jarvis were MVP of next year's Super Bowl, and never did anything else, I'd never knock him again. Lombardis are that hard to come by.

Born2Steel
06-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Holmes should never have to buy a beer in this town. Yeah, he didn't work out long term, but we likely have five Lombardi's instead of 6 without him. He caught every pass except one on the winning drive. For that, he was worth the pick. It's all about championships. If Uncle Jarvis were MVP of next year's Super Bowl, and never did anything else, I'd never knock him again. Lombardis are that hard to come by.

Love this post. I understand why people forget what Holmes could do. The NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. When Holmes turned it on, he was the best player on the field. Maybe only for those few seasons, but it happened. He was a very 'me' type of guy, like a T.O., but when needed he came thru in the clutch. And more than just on that last drive in the Super Bowl. Not even comparing him to AB, just standing alone as a WR, he did his job.

tube517
06-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Sandoobio is a pothead, a dummy especially for throwing the glass in the nightclub, and had bad timing because he was used as an example while Ben was in trouble that same offseason.

AB>Sandoobio

However, his performance in the 2008-09 playoffs was clutch. PR TD in the divisional playoff vs the Chargers. An electric 65 yard TD vs the Ratbirds in the AFCC game. And then the MVP in SB XLIII (Personally thought Ben should have won it but cannot argue with Sandoobio's selection). People forget Hines was on one leg in the Super Bowl.