PDA

View Full Version : Fleury's season can still have a happy ending

stillers4me
05-30-2016, 07:53 AM
I stopped Trevor Daley Sunday as he limped out of Consol Energy Center on crutches and told him how I sorry I was for him. He had played a leading role in the Penguins’ successful run to the Stanley Cup final, but his season ended in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final against the Tampa Bay Lightning when his left ankle was broken. He won’t play in the Cup final, which starts tonight when the Penguins try to take a bite out of the San Jose Sharks.

“It [stinks],” Daley said, “but what are you going to do?”

I told Daley I also felt bad for Marc-Andre Fleury, who isn’t likely to play against the Sharks for a much different reason. Fleury, who led the Penguins to a Cup win in 2009 and has been their regular goalie for 12 seasons, has been passed by rookie Matt Murray as the team’s No. 1 netminder. There’s a chance Fleury has played his final game for the franchise that traded up to draft him No. 1 overall in 2003, more than 400 regular-season and playoff wins ago.

“He’s an incredible teammate,” Daley said of Fleury. “Because he’s such a good dude, good things are going to happen for him. I like to believe good things happen to good people.”

I believe the same thing.

If it’s true, Fleury will be the starting goaltender again for a Cup-winning team and will finish the journey he has started to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

I have never met a better person in Pittsburgh sports...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/05/30/Ron-Cook-Fleury-s-season-can-still-have-a-happy-ending/stories/201605300038?utm_campaign=echobox&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1464588436

salamander
05-30-2016, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't get rid of Fleury just yet. I love watching Matt Murray and I'm absolutely thrilled he's doing so well right now, but let's make sure this season hasn't been a flash in the pan and see if his success continues.