PDA

View Full Version : AB challenges No.1 pick Artie "Burnt Toast" at OTAs

hawaiiansteeler
05-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Steelers Antonio Brown challenges No.1 pick Artie Burns at OTAs

by Bryan DeArdo
Pittsburgh Newsletter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cja-HybWkAA3KUJ.jpg

Antonio Brown had a game plan entering his first day of OTAs: go after first round pick Artie Burns.

That's exactly what Brown did on Thursday, lining up against the rookie during the team's "seven shots" portion of practice. According to Jacob Klinger of pennlive.com, Brown beat Burns over the top on a route the rookie thought would be a slant.

While Burns lamented giving up the score, Brown showed off his "Dancing with the Stars" moves in the end zone, as the All-Pro gave the 25th overall pick a baptism by fire.

"Can't have it too many times," Burns said. "He got me. I had bit on the slant. He went back out. He scored on me."

Burns said that he welcomes the challenge of guarding the best receiver in football, a daunting task even for the most talented and experienced cornerbacks in the NFL.

"You can't panic," Burns said about guarding Brown. "You always have to stay cool no matter what situation you're in. He came up on me fast. I just have to trust my eyes, trust my training. To be out here covering him, it helps my level of game rise up."

Despite giving up the score, Burns has impressed his veteran teammates with his ability and practice habits over the past three days.

to read rest of article:

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-Antonio-Brown-challenges-No1-pick-Artie-Burns-at-OTAs-45508858

st33lersguy
05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
This is good. Going up against the best receiver in the NFL will only help Burns.

As for AB gotta love when he says he still has plenty of work. He is the best receiver in the game yet he still feels the need to keep pushing, love it

fansince'76
05-26-2016, 08:20 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DlX9pe5PtGs/UooW25DazsI/AAAAAAAADi4/wrkyZ3R_6mM/s1600/hb_12.233.jpg

:chuckle:

tube517
05-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Meh....go carry Wil Gay's bags into his room, rookie.

Also, get your credit card ready to buy Carnell Lake and the DBs steak dinners and alot of drinks at Bettis' Grill. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
05-27-2016, 12:07 AM
Artie Burns has welcome-to-NFL moment, courtesy of Antonio Brown

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Pittsburgh Steelers first-round cornerback Artie Burns was bound to cover Antonio Brown at some point in offseason workouts. He got his chance Thursday.

He went 1-for-2 on isolated matchups.

After Thursday's session, Burns detailed his work against Brown, including Brown's goal-line touchdown on a counter move and Burns' pass breakup on a deep ball attempt to Brown.

Burns showed his recovery speed on the deep ball. He saw Brown streaking, so "I had to open up and run" to cover the post. He dove into the passing lane to knock the ball away.

Early in practice, however, he wasn't so lucky.

"He got me," Burns said. "I had bit on the slant. He went back out. He scored on me."

Brown, who returned to Pittsburgh late this week after the Dancing with the Stars finale, had faked inside, then flared toward the corner of the end zone.

On the deep ball, Burns said he could have intercepted the pass and taken it the other way if he made a move earlier. Ben Roethlisberger missed Thursday's session, so backups Landry Jones and Bruce Gradkowski were throwing the ball most of the time. The ball was a little underthrown, but Burns made an aggressive play on it.

Burns said he had watched enough film to know Brown's speed was no joke, so he didn't underestimate it.

"You can't panic," Burns said about covering a top-flight receiver like Brown. "You always have to stay cool no matter what situation you're in. He came up on me fast. I just have to trust my eyes, trust my training. To be out here covering him, it helps my level of game rise up."

Burns, the 25th overall pick in last month's draft, played press man coverage at Miami to utilize his height (6-foot) and long arms. The Steelers can use him in press, but the construction of the defense requires him to play zone coverage and hold his backpedal longer downfield.

The style of play suits Burns, he said, adding the game isn't too fast for him.

"I'm getting adjusted to it," Burns said. "Now I'm learning technique, getting the scheme down, and now I have to master my craft."

Oh yeah, Burns wants to earn a starting job.

"I just want to be the best I can be," Burns said. "I want to start. That's what I'm working toward. I want to be the best in my class."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/18956/artie-burns-has-welcome-to-the-nfl-moment-courtesy-of-antonio-brown

BlackAndGold
05-27-2016, 01:41 AM
"I just want to be the best I can be," Burns said. "I want to start. That's what I'm working toward. I want to be the best in my class."

Keep up that attitude he'll be fine. He wants to learn, and trying to cover the best WR in the game is one of the best way to do so.

LloydWoodson
05-27-2016, 08:27 AM
^Why are you whispering Black and Gold? Haha.