PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB Moats: Butler's simplified schemes 'let your ability take over'

polamalubeast
05-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Two years ago, Artie Burns and Sean Davis had virtually no shot at starting.

Even playing would've been a challenge, even for the top two rookies in the Steelers' draft class.

Now, they at least have a chance.

The Steelers on Tuesday open up their four-week voluntary but highly attended on-field organized team activities at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, with a handful of holes in the secondary that could be filled by the Steelers' top two rookies.

When Keith Butler took over for veteran Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator last year, one of the most notable changes was Butler not bogging down the unit with the complexity of the defense. Instead, he simplified it and let players play. The volume of the playbook was scaled back dramatically to reduce mental errors, which allowed young players to get on the field sooner than in the past.

It had positive results.

Sacks went from 33 to 48; turnovers went from 21 to 30; and points allowed dropped almost four per game as the Steelers advanced to within three minutes of the AFC championship game despite an injury-riddled roster, Players such as rookie linebacker Bud Dupree and inexperienced cornerback Ross Cockrell saw plenty of playing time.

Veteran outside linebacker Arthur Moats said Butler's approach was crucial to their success in 2015 and key to their plans in 2016.

“Coach LeBeau is going to challenge you more mentally in the sense of going into some games to have 30-40 calls, and you have to be able to execute them at a high level,” Moats told the Tribune-Review. “A lot of the younger guys couldn't get on the field right away because the mental complexity of it would be overwhelming for them.

“Coach Butler is more about simplifying things and let your ability take over. The younger guys can play faster because they don't have to think as much.”

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10503460-74/steelers-moats-butler

Count Steeler
05-23-2016, 07:10 PM
And Shamarko still can't get on the field. At least he is decent on STs.

fansince'76
05-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Veteran outside linebacker Arthur Moats said Butler's approach was crucial to their success in 2015 and key to their plans in 2016.

“Coach LeBeau is going to challenge you more mentally in the sense of going into some games to have 30-40 calls, and you have to be able to execute them at a high level,” Moats told the Tribune-Review. “A lot of the younger guys couldn't get on the field right away because the mental complexity of it would be overwhelming for them.

“Coach Butler is more about simplifying things and let your ability take over. The younger guys can play faster because they don't have to think as much.”

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-there-is-a-syndrome-in-sports-called-paralysis-by-analysis-arthur-ashe-7609.jpg

Steeldude
05-24-2016, 03:06 AM
So the Steelers have a load of dumb players? ; )

Mojouw
05-24-2016, 10:26 AM
So the Steelers have a load of dumb players? ; )

The NFL has a ton of dumb players. Why do you think they are constantly doing stupid crap and almost all talk in full-blown sports cliches?

I suspect you would have to have at least 3 NFL Players in any given room to be assured of getting a 3 digit IQ - total.

polamalubeast
05-25-2016, 01:09 PM

ALLD
05-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Green Bay Packers created a dynasty in the 60s under Lombardi by executing plays without making mistakes. Nothing too fancy. You run the ball, you throw the ball and you catch the ball. Plus you must tackle the man with the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyRSV9eqTUY

pczach
05-25-2016, 06:26 PM
I think many coaches get more conservative as they get older.

Cowher is a great example of this.

When he first came into the league, he was conservative in his style of play, but he was a riverboat gambler when it came to making calls in big spots in the game. He coached loose and confident, and the players felt and appreciated that confidence.

As he was in the league longer, and his losses in big games piled up, he became much more conservative. He often coached in a way that the team would tighten up late in games and in big games. Cowher's lack of aggression at times made the team feel pressure much more than they did when he was a young coach not afraid to fail.

Many times the team psyche is a direct reflection of the coach's mindset. Cowher became a coach that seemed to make the team feel pressure, and they often played tight because of that.

I don't think there's any question that Cowher let the pressure to win a Super Bowl creep into his thought process on game days. He finally got a bit of the swagger back when #7 showed up. He finally felt confident to just let it fly sometimes. It was a revelation to Cowher and to the team, and it showed in his coaching. I'm convinced of that.

I'm sure LeBeau had a bit of that happen to him as well.

Mojouw
05-26-2016, 02:17 PM
I think many coaches get more conservative as they get older.

Cowher is a great example of this.

When he first came into the league, he was conservative in his style of play, but he was a riverboat gambler when it came to making calls in big spots in the game. He coached loose and confident, and the players felt and appreciated that confidence.

As he was in the league longer, and his losses in big games piled up, he became much more conservative. He often coached in a way that the team would tighten up late in games and in big games. Cowher's lack of aggression at times made the team feel pressure much more than they did when he was a young coach not afraid to fail.

Many times the team psyche is a direct reflection of the coach's mindset. Cowher became a coach that seemed to make the team feel pressure, and they often played tight because of that.

I don't think there's any question that Cowher let the pressure to win a Super Bowl creep into his thought process on game days. He finally got a bit of the swagger back when #7 showed up. He finally felt confident to just let it fly sometimes. It was a revelation to Cowher and to the team, and it showed in his coaching. I'm convinced of that.

I'm sure LeBeau had a bit of that happen to him as well.

Excellent point. Lebeau also got "Spoiled" in that at the end (@ least with the Harrison and Woodley pairing) he had OLBs that could get the QB w/out complex fire-zone blitzes. There was really a staggering amount of individual talent on his last dominant defenses that did not really need scheme to get the pass rush home. Throw in a generational player like Polamalu and Lebeau was able to play a bit more conservative.

I think when he had to rebuild the D, he kinda wasn't really into it. He never seemed willing to dip deeply into his mad scientist bag of tricks.

Anyone watch any Titans games? Are they doing old school crazy Lebeau stuff or just more of a vanilla 3-4?