PDA

View Full Version : Could Chickillo be the next Mike Vrabel?

GBMelBlount
05-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Anthony Chickillo arrived in Pittsburgh last season to little fanfare. A sixth round selection from the University of Miami (212th overall), Chickillo was identified as a prospect, a 3-4 defensive lineman who would be tasked with making the conversion to outside linebacker.

The Steelers have had a long history of drafting defensive lineman and converting them to outside linebacker. They've had successes: Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, and Lamar Woodley.

And they've had failures: Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis, and Steven Conley.

As with most, if not all of these players, the first step in securing a spot on the team by excelling on special teams, something Chickillo did during his rookie season. He recorded six tackles, forced one fumble, and recovered another.

He even had an opportunity to get in some snaps at linebacker during the team's season finale against Cleveland.

Entering his second season, Chickillo needs to further impress coaches and prove that he's ready to assume a larger role in the defense.

(continued)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/21/11720444/could-steelers-olb-anthony-chickillo-become-the-next-mike-vrabel

Devilsdancefloor
05-21-2016, 08:51 PM
hope not id love to see him take the next step and take JJ spot

Steeldude
05-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Hopefully he is the next Kevin Greene, but with better coverage skills. Jones is done.

Mojouw
05-22-2016, 12:57 PM
I would settle for Chickillo first proving that he can be an adequate NFL starter. At this point, Jones is better than Chickillo. Jones has demonstrated that he is at least replacement level to average at NFL OLB.

Chickillo proved he can cover kicks and flash some intriguing potential against 3rd and 4th team guys in the preseason. There have been many Steelers OLB "camp favorites" that did the same thing. Only one of them turned out - James Harrison.

I hope Chickillo is great. But until otherwise, I will play the averages and not get my hopes up.

hawaiiansteeler
05-22-2016, 10:35 PM
I would settle for Chickillo first proving that he can be an adequate NFL starter. At this point, Jones is better than Chickillo. Jones has demonstrated that he is at least replacement level to average at NFL OLB.

Chickillo proved he can cover kicks and flash some intriguing potential against 3rd and 4th team guys in the preseason. There have been many Steelers OLB "camp favorites" that did the same thing. Only one of them turned out - James Harrison.

I hope Chickillo is great. But until otherwise, I will play the averages and not get my hopes up.

I would settle for Chickillo first proving that he can make the team.

as of right now, he's behind Jarvis Jones, Deebo, Bud Dupree and Moats on the depth chart and most likely battling Travis Feeney for the 5th and final OLB spot...

86WARD
05-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Yes. Once he is released and the Patriots sign him.