PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers won't resign Michael Vick

hawaiiansteeler
05-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Report: Steelers won't resign Michael Vick

by Bryan DeArdo

The Michael Vick era in Pittsburgh appears to have officially ended.

On Thursday, steelers.com's Bob Labriola left Vick's name off of the list of the four quarterbacks Pittsburgh is inviting to this year's training camp, essentially saying that Vick is not in the team's plans moving forward.

"It looks as though the Steelers will go to training camp with Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Bruce Gradkowski, and Dustin Vaughan as the four quarterbacks on the roster," Labriola wrote.

Now, it appears that the only scenario that would lead to Vick coming back to Pittsburgh would be if there was an injury to one of the Steelers' quarterbacks, which was the case when the Steelers signed him after Gradkowski suffered a season-ending injury midway through the preseason.

Outside of the magic he displayed in San Diego, Vick didn't have many other memorable moments on the football field last season. While he played well in his first start, Pittsburgh's Week 4 Thursday night game against the Ravens, Pittsburgh lost the game after the team missed two field goals and failed to convert on two scoring opportunities in overtime. In Week 6, an ineffective and injured Vick was replaced in the second half by Landry Jones, who led the Steelers to a Week 6 win over the Cardinals.

Vick, who was still a free agent, discussed his appreciation for the Steelers' franchise earlier this offseason.

“I love the Steelers organization,” Vick told steelers.com. “I love Coach Tomlin. I love the players I am around. I love my teammates. It was an awesome experience this year to compete throughout the playoffs. That’s what I came here for.”

On several occasions, Vick has said that he wants to play one more season before ending one of the most controversial careers in NFL history...

to read rest of article:

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Steelers-wont-resign-Michael-Vick-45398409

fansince'76
05-20-2016, 01:00 AM
He's done. I honestly don't see any team picking him up.

LloydWoodson
05-20-2016, 01:01 AM
Is Vick a top 5 Steelers QB ever? You tell me.

pczach
05-20-2016, 04:33 AM
I appreciate the efforts of Vick with the Steelers. He played hard and tried his hardest to win. I wish him nothing but the best.

He just doesn't have it anymore, and the Steelers simply can do better.

tube517
05-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Duh

Count Steeler
05-20-2016, 06:28 AM
Don't know why you would want to keep a guy you don't trust to do anything more than hand the ball off. Heck, I'll do that for vet min.

polamalubeast
05-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Only player in the NFL to have shutdown Antonio Brown in the last three years ....

Count Steeler
05-20-2016, 06:35 AM
Only player in the NFL to have shutdown Antonio Brown in the last three years ....

:applaudit:

MrPgh
05-20-2016, 08:14 AM

I guess they should have made Vick the starter instead of releasing him!

fansince'76
05-20-2016, 08:24 AM

:noidea:

1 and 2: Bradshaw/Roethlisberger - order's debatable.

3. Neil O'Donnell

4. Kordell Stewart

5. Whoever sucked the least after Stewart(?) Perhaps Len Dawson due to his pedigree AFTER he left the Steelers, but that doesn't really count and was before my time anyway. Pickings get quite slim after #2.

Mojouw
05-20-2016, 09:47 AM

3. Neil O'Donnell

4. Kordell Stewart

5. Whoever sucked the least after Stewart(?) Perhaps Len Dawson due to his pedigree AFTER he left the Steelers, but that doesn't really count and was before my time anyway. Pickings get quite slim after #2.

Maybe Brister or Gilliam? But you are right, the pickings are thin! I remember the excitement that the start of the Jim Miller era drew - not looking forward to going through all that again!

Oh. Wait. The answer might be Tomczack.

tube517
05-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Maybe Brister or Gilliam? But you are right, the pickings are thin! I remember the excitement that the start of the Jim Miller era drew - not looking forward to going through all that again!

Oh. Wait. The answer might be Tomczack.

:nono: That was Bill Cowher's "gut instinct" after camp. I remember that vividly and need therapy. By halftime in the first game, he got rocked. The Bus probably thought, "What am I doing here? This is the Steelers, right?"

Born2Steel
05-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Mark (I look like Tom Selleck) Malone was a top tier back up QB that played well in spots for us. Gets zero credit, but better than Stewart, IMO.

Steeldude
05-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Is that a serious question?

hawaiiansteeler
05-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Tom Brady lands in top five most hated NFL players of all time

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2016

If you love Tom Brady, you really love him. And if you hate Tom Brady, you apparently really hate him.

Brady has landed at No. 5 on the list of the most hated NFL players. It’s a list not only of the players who currently are in the game, but also of all players who ever played the game.

The click-harvest slideshow from SportingNews.com has Mike Vick at No. 1, Terrell Owens at No. 2, Ndamukong Suh at No. 3, Greg Hardy at No. 4, and Brady at No. 5.

The rest of the top 10 includes Ray Lewis, Bill Romanowski, Ben Roethlisberger, Adam “Pacman” Jones, and Adrian Peterson.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/20/tom-brady-lands-in-top-five-most-hated-nfl-players-of-all-time/

zulater
05-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Not even top 15.

vasteeler
05-20-2016, 09:07 PM

wasnt even better than landry jones

MrPgh
05-20-2016, 09:20 PM

3. Neil O'Donnell

4. Kordell Stewart

Kordell as the 4th best QB in Steelers history? Should we laugh or cry?

fansince'76
05-20-2016, 11:10 PM
Kordell as the 4th best QB in Steelers history? Should we laugh or cry?

Cry - our QBs have historically blown.

Edman
05-20-2016, 11:38 PM
If you love Tom Brady, you really love him. And if you hate Tom Brady, you apparently really hate him.

Brady has landed at No. 5 on the list of the most hated NFL players. It’s a list not only of the players who currently are in the game, but also of all players who ever played the game.

Patriots "Fans": THEY HAET TOM CUZ DEY JELLUS HATURS!!!1111 BRADY IZ TEH GREATEST BESTEST QUARTERBACK EVUUURRR!!!1111 JELLY HATURSS!!!!111

Like when they cried like bitches when Marcia got booed at Super Bowl 50.

Nobody accused Patriots fans of being smart.

Craic
05-21-2016, 02:51 AM
Cry - our QBs have historically blown.

We're talking about Kordell Stewart here. Care to rephrase?

vasteeler
05-21-2016, 09:21 AM

3. Neil O'Donnell

4. Kordell Stewart

i would have put maddox at number 4. IMO he was better than korkie

LloydWoodson
05-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Is that a serious question?

No. No it wasn't. It did stimulate a little conversation in the slow offseason though.

Michael Vick you da real MVP.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone think the front office should have signed Vick when the Eagles did?

Could there have been a competition for the role of starting QB?

Count Steeler
05-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Does anyone think the front office should have signed Vick when the Eagles did?

Could there have been a competition for the role of starting QB?

Vick was a great athlete, but he never played well at QB. Doesn't seem to have the mental acuity necessary. Terrible at reads.

polamalubeast
05-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Vick was a great athlete, but he never played well at QB. Doesn't seem to have the mental acuity necessary. Terrible at reads.

And often the WR look bad with Vick.We saw that with Brown last year, but it was the same thing with Roddy White in Atlanta in 2005 and 2006.

Count Steeler
05-21-2016, 05:30 PM
And often the WR look bad with Vick.We saw that with Brown last year, but it was the same thing with Roddy White in Atlanta in 2005 and 2006.

I think that the brain has to be the strongest muscle for a franchise QB, not his legs or his arm. Of course, they need to be able to make the throws, but the brains set them apart. Brady, as much as i don't like him, shows that the physical tools are not as important as the mental ones, the intangibles. Film study, quick decision making, nerves of steel, etc.

polamalubeast
05-21-2016, 05:38 PM
I think that the brain has to be the strongest muscle for a franchise QB, not his legs or his arm. Of course, they need to be able to make the throws, but the brains set them apart. Brady, as much as i don't like him, shows that the physical tools are not as important as the mental ones, the intangibles. Film study, quick decision making, nerves of steel, etc.

I agree and I think Ben has improved a lot in this aspect in the last few years, which is one of the reason why I think Roethlisberger still has a few good seasons ahead of him(at least 3-4 seasons.)

86WARD
05-21-2016, 07:14 PM

Lol. Was there any thought that they would re-sign him?!?

Dwinsgames
05-22-2016, 01:18 PM
nobody will , lets face it look how long it took him to get a look last year and when given another chance to play he failed to do anything more than most of us could have done ...

for that reason his chances are over

Favre will get more feelers to his availability than Vick

Mike Vick ..... you are the weakest link

LloydWoodson
05-22-2016, 03:43 PM
What year will Vick make the HOF as the greatest scrambling QB of all time? Is Vick first ballot?

Dwinsgames
05-22-2016, 04:39 PM
What year will Vick make the HOF as the greatest scrambling QB of all time? Is Vick first ballot?

he won't , or at least shouldn't ..

QB by definition wins games via their arm Vick was never one to consistently do that .

MrPgh
05-22-2016, 07:07 PM
It's starting to sound like someone wanted Vick to stick around and maybe even be the starter.

Steeldude
05-22-2016, 08:28 PM
It's starting to sound like someone wanted Vick to stick around and maybe even be the starter.

He certainly is enamored with Vick. He also likes Jarvis Jones. I am wondering if he is/was a Wallace fan too.

LloydWoodson
05-22-2016, 09:14 PM
He certainly is enamored with Vick. He also likes Jarvis Jones. I am wondering if he is/was a Wallace fan too.

Nobody ran in a straight line better than Wallace! He was amazing! So fast!

I emailed Mike Wallace and he said he would send me an autographed jersey for $3,000 so now I'm just saving up.

hawaiiansteeler
05-22-2016, 09:16 PM

Mike Vick was the first QB to ever gain 1000 yards rushing in a season, he may very well have a special wing in the HOF to commemorate that achievement.

but he'll never be fully inducted...

LloydWoodson
05-22-2016, 09:24 PM
I fully believe that Michael Vick is the best lefthanded QB to wear #7, lead QBs in rushing yards and be convicted on charges related to dog fighting. Of that there is no doubt.

Steeldude
05-23-2016, 12:56 AM
Nobody ran in a straight line better than Wallace! He was amazing! So fast!

I emailed Mike Wallace and he said he would send me an autographed jersey for $3,000 so now I'm just saving up.

Ok, Steeldawg.

86WARD
05-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Randall was better than Vick.

zulater
05-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Randall was better than Vick.

Absolutely. I could see a case being made for Cunningham making it as a finalist at some point. Though I still think in the end he falls short. But to the point, you're right Randall was a much better NFL player than Mike Vick.

polamalubeast
05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Absolutely. I could see a case being made for Cunningham making it as a finalist at some point. Though I still think in the end he falls short. But to the point, you're right Randall was a much better NFL player than Mike Vick.

Agree than Randall was better than Vick but he not deserve to be a finalist for the hof.Its percentage of sacks was far too high when he was with the Eagles.Maybe it was the fault of Buddy Ryan too.

fansince'76
05-23-2016, 01:45 PM

I think someone's sarcasm meter is on the blink. :chuckle:

86WARD
06-02-2016, 02:18 PM
If be on the phone to the Rams today looking to trade for Nick Foles. He'd be an instant upgrade to the back up QB and he's only going to cost about $1.7M.

Steelermania
06-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Vick had a lot of things going against him. It wasn't until he came here that I realized how small he is. Looking at him on the sidelines, he can't be more than 5'10". For a guy who wasn't that accurate as a passer, his lack of height had to make things very difficult for him. He's nowhere near as good as Cunningham was. Cunningham was kind of like Rich Gannon, a guy who was decent for a lot of years, then hit his stride fairly late, and was elite for a couple of years. Vick in his prime was maybe the most explosive athlete ever to step on an NFL field. That put the fear in defenses, and allowed him to be fairly effective in a non traditional way for a few years. Once he lost a step, the gig was up for him.

Method28
06-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Im the only one who wants to let Landry grow as the backuo huh lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
06-07-2016, 06:10 AM
So is it safe to fix my avatar now? :peep:

Count Steeler
06-07-2016, 11:59 AM
So is it safe to fix my avatar now? :peep:

He is no longer on the roster, so I would say yes.

GoSlash27
06-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Outstanding! Last season was difficult for me. I've never had to intentionally avoid watching Steelers games before.
Now you will all be forced to look at my ugly mug :D

salamander
06-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Outstanding! Last season was difficult for me. I've never had to intentionally avoid watching Steelers games before.

Slash is officially back. :chuckle:

steelreserve
06-08-2016, 11:42 AM

I'll be sure to kick a dog in your honor.

Born2Steel
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
But, but, but, the dog fighting thing was socially acceptable where he grew up, and people do all kinds of things that are worse than that to humans and don't go to jail, and those weren't even his dogs, and he's just the scapegoat and it's only an issue because he's famous, and if he came from a wealthier upbringing or one of those Asian countries we wouldn't even care if he did this,..........

Not a Vick fan, and the people who defend what he did are ass clowns also. Good riddance.

GoSlash27
06-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Well... my issue was never with the dog fighting thing. I just objected to having a convicted felon on the team. I would've rather gone 0-16 than support that.

It's over now and good riddance, so GO STEELERS!!