PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown: It Would Be “An Honor” To Finish Career In Pittsburgh

polamalubeast
05-19-2016, 10:15 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/antonio-brown-honor-finish-career-pittsburgh/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

tube517
05-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Diva :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Translation: I'll stay if the money's right.

It probably won't be (especially in light of who his agent is and the probability that some idiot bottom-dwelling team will pony up $20 mil a year for his services, and where his numbers will precipitously drop), so enjoy him now, folks.

However, if the team plays its cards right, they can effectively keep him through the end of Ben's career and at that point it more than likely won't matter for a good while anyway as the next string of Stoudt/Malone/Brister/O'Donnell/Stewart-level QBs begins.

hawaiiansteeler
05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Diva :chuckle:

thank God AB has been humbled by not winning the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy...

fansince'76
05-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Not a diva, but some idiot GM somewhere, or more likely, an idiot owner who fancies themselves as a GM (Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, come on down!) is going to throw stupid money at him at some point and he'd be a fool not to take it.

I think the fact that Rosenhaus started working on the Steelers FO last year while AB still had THREE years remaining on his current deal tells the real story here.

tube517
05-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Rosenhaus just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know T.O. was a prick but his shenanigans got worse with Rosenhaus. Don't trust him.

polamalubeast
05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

It probably won't be (especially in light of who his agent is and the probability that some idiot bottom-dwelling team will pony up $20 mil a year for his services, and where his numbers will precipitously drop), so enjoy him now, folks.

However, if the team plays its cards right, they can effectively keep him through the end of Ben's career and at that point it more than likely won't matter for a good while anyway as the next string of Stoudt/Malone/Brister/O'Donnell/Stewart-level QBs begins.

If Brown want 20 million per year he will have to wait another 3 years since the steelers will put the franchise TAG on him after the 2017 season.I not believe that Brown wants to wait 3 years before having a big contract, so I think Brown is going to have a new contract next year.

And Jerry Jones was unwilling to pay Dez Bryant 20 million per year(or the same contract than Calvin Johnson) last year....

- - - Updated - - -

Rosenhaus just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know T.O. was a prick but his shenanigans got worse with Rosenhaus. Don't trust him.

If Rosenhaus was so bad, Antonio Brown would make a holdout last year.....I have no problem with him if Brown not make a holdout.I think Rosenhaus has a bad reputation because of Terrell Owens.

tube517
05-19-2016, 02:44 PM
If Brown want 20 million per year he will have to wait another 3 years since the steelers will put the franchise TAG on him after the 2017 season.I not believe that Brown wants to wait 3 years before having a big contract, so I think Brown is going to have a new contract next year.

And Jerry Jones was unwilling to pay Dez Bryant 20 million per year(or the same contract than Calvin Johnson) last year....

- - - Updated - - -

If Rosenhaus was so bad, Antonio Brown would make a holdout last year.....I have no problem with him if Brown not make a holdout.I think Rosenhaus has a bad reputation because of Terrell Owens.

I think that is more of AB being a stand up guy (not holding out) vs Rosenhaus' jackhole influence. But, like FS said, he's going to demand alot of money even without Rosenhaus. I just wish they can get it done.

polamalubeast
05-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Brown will be the highest paid WR in the NFL and this is normal because he is the best receiver in the NFL in the last 3 seasons.

GBMelBlount
05-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Brown will be the highest paid WR in the NFL and this is normal because he is the best receiver in the NFL in the last 3 seasons.

How long has this been normal for? :scratchchin:

Count Steeler
05-20-2016, 07:04 AM
How long has this been normal for? :scratchchin:

Come on Papa Smurf. You know that English is not the beast's first language.

I think the beast is trying to say that "Brown will be the highest paid WR in the NFL, and that should not be surprising, because he has been the best receiver in the NFL for the last 3 seasons."

LloydWoodson
05-20-2016, 07:23 AM

Haha! I JUST mentioned you saying the Stoudt, Malone, Brister thing to me in the Boykin thread. You've been saying this for YEARS... and you're right.

All in with Ben right now. "Can't waste even 1 iota of time." -- Tomlin

fansince'76
05-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Haha! I JUST mentioned you saying the Stoudt, Malone, Brister thing to me in the Boykin thread. You've been saying this for YEARS... and you're right.

Bear in mind, this guy was by far the BEST QB we had between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqg5_PIo3E

Couldn't find any "highlights" of any of the other ones because they all sucked so badly.

There's a reason that I've sounded like a broken record about this subject. :chuckle:

Hawkman
05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Come on Papa Smurf. You know that English is not the beast's first language.

I think the beast is trying to say that "Brown will be the highest paid WR in the NFL, and that should not be surprising, because he has been the best receiver in the NFL for the last 3 seasons."
And by the way GB...I can't read your posts because of the "tank top Brady".....that thing has got to go!!

- - - Updated - - -

Is time quantifiable by an "iota"?

Edman
05-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Bear in mind, this guy was by far the BEST QB we had between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqg5_PIo3E

Couldn't find any "highlights" of any of the other ones because they all sucked so badly.

There's a reason that I've sounded like a broken record about this subject. :chuckle:

Neil wasn't great, but he was better than Miller, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox.

We Should've held onto him. At least until Ben.

hawaiiansteeler
05-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Neil wasn't great, but he was better than Miller, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox.

We Should've held onto him. At least until Ben.

you would have matched the Jets' 5 year $25 million contract offer?

Mojouw
05-20-2016, 05:01 PM

Yup. I looked around really quickly and couldn't find salary data for the era - but $5 million dollars a year for a guy who you could've won a SB with in a 3 yards and cloud of dust era? Sounds reasonable to me.

Now if that contract put him in the say top 12 QB's for salaries - then no way you match it.

I honestly don't remember what that contract looked like when compared to the rest of the league.

polamalubeast
05-20-2016, 05:02 PM

Maybe.I think the Steelers would have been in the super bowl with O'Donnell in 1997 even if the Broncos had an incredible team.

He was not a great QB but you could win with him if the team was good around him, much like Joe Flacco right now.

Of course, I still can not believe his two horrible interceptions against the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Edman
05-20-2016, 05:26 PM

In hindsight, Yes.

The Steelers were good enough a team to win with a decent guy like Neil, and Kordell was a downgrade from him.

hawaiiansteeler
05-20-2016, 07:28 PM
In hindsight, Yes.

The Steelers were good enough a team to win with a decent guy like Neil, and Kordell was a downgrade from him.

it really is a shame about Kordell.

if his ego would have allowed him to accept his "Slash" role he could have been a really great player...

fansince'76
05-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Nope. O'Donnell was a journeyman QB and the $25 million he got from the Jets was franchise QB money at the time. Just because he sucked less than Kordell and every other scrub we tried that came down the pike up until 2004 doesn't mean he was the answer.

Edman
05-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Nope. O'Donnell was a journeyman QB and the $25 million he got from the Jets was franchise QB money at the time. Just because he sucked less than Kordell and every other scrub we tried that came down the pike up until 2004 doesn't mean he was the answer.

Well, that's what the Steelers thought, and wound up waiting 10 years to get to another Super Bowl. So did the Ratbirds with Trent Dilfer. Two QB's that were nothing special, but did something worthwhile, so they went for the "upgrade", and it blew up in their faces.

Nobody is going to confuse Neil O'Donnell for Dan Marino, but he was what the Steelers (at the time) needed. A decent game-managing Quarterback.

The Jets threw that money at him like he was superstar, when he clearly wasn't. He was a product of the Steelers system.

teegre
05-21-2016, 08:10 AM

I wouldn't have kept him for free.

I haven't mentioned his name (out loud or in writing) since XXX. Not only did he lose that game, you'll never convince me that he didn't intentionally throw it (pun intended). He had the lowest INT percentage in the league... yet, he all of a sudden throws THREE of them. I'm sure that Jerrah slid him a fat envelope prior to the game.

tube517
05-21-2016, 10:11 AM
I would rather have had Joe Montana in 93-94. I know this was before O'Donnell left for free agency in 96 but Cowher and Donahoe said no.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
05-21-2016, 04:23 PM

hawaiiansteeler
05-21-2016, 04:27 PM

should work as long as you keep Haley out of it...:chuckle:

fansince'76
05-21-2016, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't have kept him for free.

I haven't mentioned his name (out loud or in writing) since XXX. Not only did he lose that game, you'll never convince me that he didn't intentionally throw it (pun intended). He had the lowest INT percentage in the league... yet, he all of a sudden throws THREE of them. I'm sure that Jerrah slid him a fat envelope prior to the game.

Maybe, but I've always thought of it more as a case of a journeyman QB playing like a journeyman QB in a moment that called for a franchise QB.

fansince'76
05-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Well, that's what the Steelers thought, and wound up waiting 10 years to get to another Super Bowl. So did the Ratbirds with Trent Dilfer. Two QB's that were nothing special, but did something worthwhile, so they went for the "upgrade", and it blew up in their faces.

The Ravens won one with Trent Dilfer due to a historic year on defense and the fact that they faced a completely nondescript Giants team (outside of maybe Michael Strahan) in the big game that year. Kerry Collins, enough said. Never in the history of the Super Bowl has there been a bigger case of a team winning it all when the QB was really only along for the ride than the 2000 Ravens. Hell, their offense went for two solid months without scoring a TD at one point during that season.

The Bills have been trying to replace Jim Kelly since 1996. The Dolphins have been trying to replace Marino since 1999. The Broncos had been trying to replace Elway since 1998 when they finally broke the bank for Manning in 2012, and are now headed into 2016 with Butt Fumble as probably their most viable option at QB. Yeah, good luck with that repeat attempt.

A LOT of people are in for a rude awakening when Ben either retires or becomes ineffective. Franchise QBs are a pretty rare thing.

I guess my main point is that I seriously doubt that O'Donnell sticking around would have changed the "close, but no cigar" nature of many of the Steelers seasons in the late '90s/early '00s. He finally got his one big chance in XXX and he screwed the pooch. He simply wasn't a good enough QB to get an otherwise really good team over the hump.

polamalubeast
05-21-2016, 04:36 PM
should work as long as you keep Haley out of it...:chuckle:

I think a 2000-yard season for Brown is very realistic if Ben stays healthy.

Count Steeler
05-21-2016, 04:47 PM
The Ravens won one with Trent Dilfer due to a historic year on defense and the fact that they faced a completely nondescript Giants team (outside of maybe Michael Strahan) in the big game that year. Kerry Collins, enough said. Never in the history of the Super Bowl has there been a bigger case of a team winning it all when the QB was really only along for the ride than the 2000 Ravens. Hell, their offense went for two solid months without scoring a TD at one point during that season.

The Bills have been trying to replace Jim Kelly since 1996. The Dolphins have been trying to replace Marino since 1999. The Broncos had been trying to replace Elway since 1998 when they finally broke the bank for Manning in 2012, and are now headed into 2016 with Butt Fumble as probably their most viable option at QB. Yeah, good luck with that repeat attempt.

A LOT of people are in for a rude awakening when Ben either retires or becomes ineffective. Franchise QBs are a pretty rare thing.

Even the second coming, Andrew Luck, is proving how difficult it is to win in this league. Luck is heading into his 5th season already. I don't think the Colts are on anyone's radar as serious SB contenders.

polamalubeast
05-21-2016, 04:55 PM

Win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or with 2015 Peyton Manning is very rare.But I think Neil O'Donnell was more at the level of Joe Flacco than Trent Dilfer.The only difference between Flacco and O'Donnell is that Flacco is great in the playoffs in the majority of his career.

For the Broncos, they drafted a QB in the first round in the last draft(Only the future will tell us if he will be good or not), so Sanchez will not be the starter for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Even the second coming, Andrew Luck, is proving how difficult it is to win in this league. Luck is heading into his 5th season already. I don't think the Colts are on anyone's radar as serious SB contenders.

Luck had a bad season last year, but he is a very good QB.The problem of the Colts is that his GM is very bad.

fansince'76
05-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or with 2015 Peyton Manning is very rare.But I think Neil O'Donnell was more at the level of Joe Flacco than Trent Dilfer.The only difference between Flacco and O'Donnell is that Flacco is great in the playoffs in the majority of his career.

That's just it. O'Donnell never really showed anything in the playoffs, even before SB XXX. Would he have made a difference in the '97 AFCCG? Based on his previous body of work, I seriously doubt it.

IMO, if they would have held onto O'Donnell, the Steelers would have continued to be good but not quite good enough when it mattered.

Luck had a bad season last year, but he is a very good QB.The problem of the Colts is that his GM is very bad.

That and an OL reminiscent of the 2008 Steelers...

hawaiiansteeler
05-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Antonio Brown
✔ ‎‎@AntonioBrown84

Ran a 4.35/40 today.

8:30 PM - 23 May 2016

https://twitter.com/AntonioBrown84?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Es erp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

ALLD
07-10-2016, 09:10 AM
I don't think many on here realize that AB is also left-handed. That gives him a natural advantage over conventional players. His ability to see the field differently and react plus all of his hard work makes him one of, if not the best WR in the NFL right now.

fansince'76
07-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Just keep him around until Ben hangs them up. It probably won't matter much after that, particularly if we wind up with a Kordell clone who specializes in either one-hopping passes in the dirt in front of wide open receivers and/or rocketing the ball 10 feet over their heads...