PDA

View Full Version : The old Tampa-2 is obsolete, and maybe rookie minicamp revealed some interesting prospects.

stillers4me
05-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Ready or not, here it comes:

* As an NFL assistant coach, Mike Tomlin was raised on the Tampa-2 defense. He learned it at the foot of a master, a man by the name of Monte Kiffin. After learning it, Tomlin helped teach it, and then saw it implemented and executed at a high enough level to be the primary reason for the one-and-only Super Bowl championship won by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers franchise.

* That experience is one of the reasons why Mike Tomlin today understands that the Tampa-2 defense as it was back then, the Tampa-2 defense that fans can recognize, the Tampa-2 defense that has been linked to the Steelers more and more since Keith Butler replaced Dick LeBeau as the defensive coordinator cannot work in the NFL anymore........

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Tampa-2-1-RB-and-2-CBs/1e888afb-5245-4f3b-89fd-e2860fee4cb8

Dwinsgames
05-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Labs drops the ball again in his writing .

you would THINK any Steelers writer ( especially one paid by the team as he is ) would give credit to the " tampa 2" to its true roots Bud Carson and Chuck Noll although some claim it goes back further to the Browns under Blanton Collier but that is before even my time so I can not say ..

Dungy learned the concept from the Noll/Carson playbook for the Steelcurtain era steelers playbook ( I believe 1975 ) and then used that scheme once he got his shot in coaching and it is now looked at as " His scheme " with Kiffen as the DC he also garners credit ... this is one of the sports biggest fallacies and misrepresentations .

remember the media has little to do with Journalism these days , true journalism is a lost art now they just sort of make it up as they go along and any hack of a writer can make claims uncontested and it is taken as the gospel when in fact 90% of it is horseshit

here is even a Tampa (Buc's Nation ) article referencing the true roots or the scheme http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers

Dwinsgames
05-15-2016, 12:31 PM
The Tampa 2 defensive scheme started in the 1970s with the Pittsburgh Steelers’ historic Steel Curtain, formed by head coach Chuck Noll and defensive coordinator Bud Carson.
It then traveled to Minnesota in the 1980s when Tony Dungy, who played in Pittsburgh under Noll, teamed with Monte Kiffin and tinkered with the scheme as assistants with the Vikings.
The next stop was Tampa Bay in the 1990s, where the defense got its name. From there, its tentacles branched across the country to the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts in the NFL. The scheme reached the college level, hitting USC, North Dakota State and several other schools. It has finally arrived in Reno.
For the first time in program history, the Wolf Pack’s base defense will be the Tampa 2, a scheme that’s “as old as organized football,” as Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber once joked. So, why the Tampa 2, which has waned in popularity in recent years? And can the scheme fix Nevada’s broken defense?
“It started to make a lot of sense when you looked at who we are and what we can recruit,” said Nevada coach Brian Polian, who learned about the scheme from Dungy after his father, Bill, hired him to run the Colts. “You can’t play a 3-4 here because you need a 340-pound nose tackle and that guy is hard to find. He’s hard to find in the SEC, let alone the Mountain West. This scheme fits what we’re able to recruit.”

http://blogs.rgj.com/chrismurray/2013/08/16/explaining-the-wolf-packs-new-tampa-2-defensive-scheme-and-why-it-could-succeed-or-fail/ (http://blogs.rgj.com/chrismurray/2013/08/16/explaining-the-wolf-packs-new-tampa-2-defensive-scheme-and-why-it-could-succeed-or-fail/)

86WARD
05-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Labs drops the ball again in his writing .

you would THINK any Steelers writer ( especially one paid by the team as he is ) would give credit to the " tampa 2" to its true roots Bud Carson and Chuck Noll although some claim it goes back further to the Browns under Blanton Collier but that is before even my time so I can not say ..

Dungy learned the concept from the Noll/Carson playbook for the Steelcurtain era steelers playbook ( I believe 1975 ) and then used that scheme once he got his shot in coaching and it is now looked at as " His scheme " with Kiffen as the DC he also garners credit ... this is one of the sports biggest fallacies and misrepresentations .

remember the media has little to do with Journalism these days , true journalism is a lost art now they just sort of make it up as they go along and any hack of a writer can make claims uncontested and it is taken as the gospel when in fact 90% of it is horseshit

here is even a Tampa (Buc's Nation ) article referencing the true roots or the scheme http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers

Just like the Wildcat is Ronnie Brown's and the Dolphins...when in actuality, Kordell Stewart and Cowher were running it well before...