PDA

View Full Version : As offseason smoke clears, did Steelers roster get better?

hawaiiansteeler
05-14-2016, 01:20 AM
As offseason smoke clears, did Steelers roster get better?

May 11, 2016
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

For a team that rarely makes a free-agency splash, the Pittsburgh Steelers got a lot of work done this offseason. They essentially lost six starters with the Martavis Bryant suspension, and save a $20-million deal for tight end Ladarius Green, they are replacing all six with draft picks or players on rookie deals.

Did an already good team get better this offseason?

Let’s look at those six positions to find out if the 2016 roster, pound for pound, improved from 2015.

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell gave the Steelers’ offseason a B+ on his AFC North report card. That’s about right. They did what they could to fill needs. When losing Heath Miller and Bryant unexpectedly, those pieces can't be replaced with bargain-level free agents.

It’s a process.

TIGHT END: Heath Miller out, Ladarius Green/Jesse James in

Better or worse?: Better. Heath Miller’s all-around game is a big loss, but after 11 seasons, he’s leaving at the right time. The combo of Green and James should provide more of a spark than Miller would have in year 12. The Steelers can mix and match skill sets, as James is an inline option and Green a vertical threat, which Pittsburgh has needed from this position for a while.

WIDE RECEIVER: Martavis Bryant out, Sammie Coates in

Better or worse?: Worse. That’s not a knock on Coates, whom the Steelers believe can make a sizable year 2 jump. But Bryant was a rare athletic creature. The Steelers will miss his ability to stretch the field. This is about Markus Wheaton more than Coates. If Wheaton turns his high-level speed into consistent gains, the Steelers will have something. And watch for Eli Rogers as a sleeper out of the slot.

LEFT TACKLE: Kelvin Beachum out, Alejandro Villanueva/Ryan Harris in

Better or worse?: Worse, at least right now, though maybe not in six months. In Beachum, the Steelers walked away from an above-average tackle who commanded a modest price from Jacksonville (one years, $4.5 million with a four-year option worth $35.5 million). Villanueva must fill that gap. He showed progress late last year but is still a bit unrefined. That's where offensive line coach Mike Munchak enters the picture. Let’s talk in Week 8 on this one. Harris has started much of his career and will compete for the job.

CORNERBACK: Brandon Boykin and Antwon Blake out, Artie Burns and Senquez Golson in

Better or worse?: Better. Boykin made some plays in late-season action, and Blake wasn’t as bad as the fans believed (though he wasn’t’ exactly steady, either). But corner was clearly a problem area, and a pair of high-round picks should upgrade the secondary based on the Steelers’ draft precedent. Burns (first round this year) and Golson (second round in 2015) will have chances early and often to make an impact.

STRONG SAFETY: Will Allen out, Sean Davis in

Better or worse?: Better. In time, Davis will inject much-needed range into this position. Allen filled in admirably last year but was clearly a fill-in until Pittsburgh could find a long-term solution. The Steelers hope Davis is that. Pittsburgh also re-signed Robert Golden, a necessary move for a valuable subpackage safety who can take pressure off Davis early on.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Steve McLendon out, Javon Hargrave/Dan McCullers in

Better or worse?: Neither. The Steelers offered McLendon, now a New York Jet, a multi-year extension despite minimal cap space. He was a reliable nose tackle, and though Hargrave sounds exciting, there’s no guarantee he’s ready right away. McCullers was simply uninspiring in training camp and spot duty last year despite his impressive strength. He needs to take ownership of the position instead of leasing month to month. This is a classic TBD position, but the Steelers can afford to be experimental at a spot they use only about 30 percent of the time because of the pass-heavy personnel.

FINAL CALL: Very close call, but if at least a handful of young players pan out, this roster is better than last year. Barely.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/18799/as-offseason-smoke-clears-did-steelers-roster-get-better

GBMelBlount
05-14-2016, 07:34 AM
With Pouncey back and a more lethal TE combo we should be top 3 in offense again.

So as long as our defense doesn't shit the bed the first half of the season and we at least split with with Cincy & Baltimore (sad as that sounds) I can see the Steelers going into the playoffs with a lot of momentum.

However the best part of this year for me is that we filled holes while keeping the cap space for the critical resignings coming up and are hopefully positioning ourselves to be dominant on defense the next several years while our Super Bowl window with Ben is still open.

tube517
05-14-2016, 10:01 AM
BSPN...

I'm not sure if Coates is worse. He hasn't had the chance to show anything yet. Yes, Bryant is probably more athletically gifted and dangerous but he was also inconsistent. We'll see how Coates does. The ball will be spread around more as Le'Veon and Ladarius will have alot of touches. Wheaton will see some, too.

Hopefully Hargrave can contribute right away but we're barely into May so again, this "report card" is more BSPN.

polamalubeast
05-14-2016, 11:07 AM
The Steelers will be better in 2016 if they are healthy unless the defense is completely dreadful.

steelreserve
05-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Blake is gone, so the defensive backfield will be better by default. We also basically had no DTs at all and now we might have one, so that's promising.

The offense depends on whether we insist on using Wheaton in the #2 role where he sucks, or stick with the slot role where he's very good. DHB and Coates should be fighting it out or splitting time at #2 and Wheaton should be the #3, period. If it takes us 6 weeks to figure this out, then the offense is going to struggle for 6 weeks. Or however long it takes for the coaches to stand around with their dicks in their hands before they realize it. 6 weeks sounds about right.

GBMelBlount
05-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Blake is gone, so the defensive backfield will be better by default. We also basically had no DTs at all and now we might have one, so that's promising.

The offense depends on whether we insist on using Wheaton in the #2 role where he sucks, or stick with the slot role where he's very good.

DHB and Coates should be fighting it out or splitting time at #2 and Wheaton should be the #3, period. If it takes us 6 weeks to figure this out, then the offense is going to struggle for 6 weeks. Or however long it takes for the coaches to stand around with their dicks in their hands before they realize it. 6 weeks sounds about right.

If Ben gets on the same page with the new TE he could have the production of a #2 receiver.

Loved Heath but he was dreadfully slow at the end of his career.

steelreserve
05-14-2016, 05:18 PM
If Ben gets on the same page with the new TE he could have the production of a #2 receiver.

Loved Heath but he was dreadfully slow at the end of his career.

Yeah, the TE position has the potential to be huge this year. And even though we probably could've squeezed one more year out of Miller, it seems like it worked out well for all sides this way. But if the choice is between:

#1WR - Brown (awesome)
TE - Green (awesome)
#2 WR - Wheaton (sucks)
#3 WR - DHB (good)
#4 WR - Coates (hardly on the field)

or

#1 WR - Brown (awesome)
TE - Green (awesome)
#2 WR - DHB/Coates - (good)
#3 WR - Wheaton (awesome)
#4 WR - DHB/Coates (awesome)

well, the second one looks a lot better, right?

polamalubeast
05-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Yeah, the TE position has the potential to be huge this year. And even though we probably could've squeezed one more year out of Miller, it seems like it worked out well for all sides this way. But if the choice is between:

#1WR - Brown (awesome)
TE - Green (awesome)
#2 WR - Wheaton (sucks)
#3 WR - DHB (good)
#4 WR - Coates (hardly on the field)

or

#1 WR - Brown (awesome)
TE - Green (awesome)
#2 WR - DHB/Coates - (good)
#3 WR - Wheaton (awesome)
#4 WR - DHB/Coates (awesome)

well, the second one looks a lot better, right?

Wheaton played on the slot last year even when Bryant was suspended.....And the offense was very good in the first 2 week last year with Ben as QB.

zulater
05-14-2016, 10:14 PM
A few things. I like Jeremy Fowler. I think he's got a good grasp of the team and gives good insight.

Now to address some of his points.

I think AV is better than he's given credit for. When you consider where he started and how far he's come, now that he can combine his actual game experience with an offseason of film study I think you'll see a player better than Beachum ever could have been. Remember this guy is a Ranger. You got to be smart and tough as nails to do the thing's he did.

I also think Bryant's loss is going to be more manageable than most believe. Yes he flashes brilliant at times. But even at the end of the season he was still making huge mental gaffes. Running poor or wrong routes, dropping balls etc.. Remember Ben called him out late in the season and he was docked playing time due to mental lapses. I think Coates will prove more studious and reliable in the long run. Though he wont be as brilliant. But really who is?

I also think Jesse James will figure more into the tight end fix than most everyone expects. Despite limited playing time I found him compelling when he did play. Caught the ball well in traffic and showed excellent ability to run after the catch. I think he catches 40+ balls.

As far as the defense fresh young legs, we'll see who emerges, but I think the end product will be much better.

So yes I think the Steelers are an improved team going into this season. I wouldn't trade chances with anyone right now.

Born2Steel
05-15-2016, 10:44 AM
My 1st concerns are front 7 defense. DLine is better just by bodies that can play all over the line. Time will tell if production improves. LBs improved, IMO, with another year for OLBs in the system for Chick, Moats, and Dupree. How would they get worse by more experience? ILBs lose Spence and Garvin, but replacements are replacements. They will be back ups to Shaz and Timmons either way. So at worst it's a break even. In our secondary, of course we get better. We won't be worse than 29th overall again. Defense improves, period. Offense will not lose a step with losing Bryant. That's not even worthy of debate. The TE situation will be wait and see how Green fits in. James should improve year 2. OLine healthy again equals improved. Ben is at his best. RBs are awesome, WRs are awesome. What's the question again? Of course we will be an improved team. Plus, and important also, we don't have the toughest schedule in the league this year.

Dwinsgames
05-15-2016, 11:33 AM
BSPN...

I'm not sure if Coates is worse. He hasn't had the chance to show anything yet. Yes, Bryant is probably more athletically gifted and dangerous but he was also inconsistent. We'll see how Coates does. The ball will be spread around more as Le'Veon and Ladarius will have alot of touches. Wheaton will see some, too.

Hopefully Hargrave can contribute right away but we're barely into May so again, this "report card" is more BSPN.

from where I sit Coates is a potential upgrade .

Flaws are even both have less than perfect hands

on the plus side of the ledger both are taller guys Bryant tallest of the two but Coates has a better vertical evening it out .

both fast almost identical 40 times

experience factor is limited to both guys but Bryant clearly wins out by default ...

Physicality is a HUGE advantage for Coates , he will not be shoved around if there is any shoving to be done he will be the one dishing it out .

if he and Ben can get on the same page by seasons end we may all be saying Martavis who ?

86WARD
05-15-2016, 02:43 PM
This topic could go either way. It could work out in a big positive or this could go horribly wrong...

GBMelBlount
05-15-2016, 06:49 PM
This topic could go either way. It could work out in a big positive or this could go horribly wrong...

Injuries aside, I can't see it going horribly wrong except perhaps a rocky start (maybe 4-8 games) on defense.

If Ben is putting the points up I still think we'll be OK either way.

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 07:40 AM
"Blake wasn’t as bad as the fans believed"... umm yes Blake was as bad as fans thought. Blake was the single worst player and biggest liability to the Steelers since that excruciating year with Sean Mahan at center. 2007 I believe.

Blake made the other team's highlight reel every week.

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Martavis is a great player but part of the reason the offense struggled when Bryant didn't play is that it coincided with games that Ben did not play. Bryant missed 5 games and Ben missed 2.5 of those games.

I doubt Coates will be the open field runner that Bryant is but he will be decent regardless.

Whoever said Wheaton should be in the slot is probably right. Coates and DHB are both huge for slot receivers and Wheaton can make quicker cuts on shorter routes.

polamalubeast
05-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Reporters are sometimes lazy.

When Roethlisberger was healthy in the first 2 games, the Steelers had over 450 yards of offense in each of its games...They have not scored a lot of points against the pats because they missed a lot of opportunity.

In 2014, it is true that the steelers were bad in offense in the first 6 games without Bryant, but it was because Justin Brown was so bad and the steelers were still in the dink and dunk offense.

If Coates is good, the Steelers will be fine on offense if they are healthy.

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 08:32 AM
^Agree. The receivers are still a great group, the OL will be even better with Pouncey back and the RBs will be healthy and therefore better as well.

I think most of us are worried about the defense particularly the secondary which will not improve much. Davis and Burns are both very raw and likely won't start until the end of the year.

If Dupree steps up the pass rush will be even better.

The DL should be even better as Tuitt continues to improve and Hargaves is a freak athlete for his size.

The achilles heel remains the secondary. Probably another season where every top 10 QB will put up 400 yards and/or 4 TDs. Uggh.

polamalubeast
05-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes the defense is a big concern especially if the young players are disappointing.

The Steelers finished 11th in points allowed but 21th in yards allowed.Sometimes they were lucky not given more points than it despite the Steelers were giving many yards.The first game against the browns is an example.The only reason why they gave 9 points was because the browns are the browns.When they played against a very good QB such as Russell Wilson the game after they gave 5 TD Pass and they were awful on 3rd down and long in this game.

Of course in 2014, they were worse, but the Steelers will need that young players be good in defense to compete for the Super Bowl.

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 09:47 AM
I agree that the draft picks need to step up soon. The secondary could be decent with Golson in the slot and Gay outside with Cockrell. Golden isn't any worse than Will Allen and Davis could be an improvement at some point in the season.

The Steelers were actually the best in the NFL in opponent passer rating their last 3 games. Of course, those QBs were Austin Davis, McCarron and Manning. I still found that unbelievable though.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-average-team-passer-rating

Also, the Steelers held opposing QBs to an 88 rating which was much better than the 99 they surrendered in 2014.