PDA

View Full Version : Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation

hawaiiansteeler
05-12-2016, 12:58 AM
Assessing the dismal Pittsburgh Steelers backup QB situation

By Christopher Bondi on May 11, 2016

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Bzn89RIWLdWqiL7eB1nMR9fYmK4=/0x493:3047x2524/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49564085/usa-today-9091867.0.jpg

Last season, when Le’Veon Bell went down, veteran DeAngelo Williams took his place and finished the season with 907 yards on 200 carries. When Williams was lost for the playoffs, Fitzgerald Toussaint stepped in and was effective (despite that costly fumble against Denver).

The same backfield should be in place this season.

In lieu of Martavis Bryant missing the season due to his suspension, the Steelers have Sammie Coates, a big receiver with plenty of speed. He demonstrated both in the playoffs against Denver on a nifty 37-yard catch and run.

They also made a fairly big splash in free agency by signing TE Ladarius Green. For backups, they’ve got Jesse James and veteran, Matt Spaeth.

There’s also depth on defense. James Harrison and Arthur Moats rotate with Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree. The main backup inside is Vince Williams. They even recently supplemented the front seven by signing linebacker Steven Johnson and defensive lineman Ricardo Matthews in free agency.

Say what you will about the secondary, it’s got plenty of depth. Will Gay and, presumably, Ross Cockrell are the starting corners. Artie Burns and last year’s second round pick Senquez Golson should challenge for starting spots and playing time.

At safety, Robert Golden will battle rookie Sean Davis for the starter spot opposite Mike Mitchell.

Virtually every starting position has quality talent ready to step in. Heck, as it stands now, the Steelers even have two starting kickers: Shaun Suisham and Chris Boswell.

Fear without Ben

Most Steelers fans witnessed the nightmare that ensued when Landry Jones stepped into the game for the injured Ben Roethlisberger against Cincinnati in the AFC Wild Card Game this past January.

Jones has proven he can play, evidenced by his performance against Arizona when he threw two TDs and rallied the team to an important victory. He’s come miles from where he was when the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round out of Oklahoma in 2013. Jones has a good arm and is capable of making throws. He went 32 for 55 and passed for 513 yards and three touchdowns in his seven regular season appearances. Yet, his penchant for interceptions (four in seven games, not all of which he started) make him a huge question mark heading into the season.

It was somewhat of a relief that the team re-signed Bruce Gradkowski to a one year contract. After all, he’s got plenty of experience and toughness, but has barely thrown a pass in three seasons with the team (three in the AFC Wild Card game vs. the Ravens two years ago). He may be able to win a game or two, but beyond that?

A Move Missed

The Steelers could’ve solidified the backup position by signing free agent, Brian Hoyer. In fact, at one point it was rumored they were interested in him. Last week, Hoyer agreed to a $2 million deal to backup Jay Cutler in Chicago.

Is that price too steep for a backup QB? Perhaps. But Hoyer’s been a starter in this league and has had decent success. He’s got a 58.1 completion percentage, which isn’t bad. He’s also thrown 38 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. Not fantastic, but not bad either.

Hoyer would’ve been a definite upgrade to the backup QB position, and Steelers fans could breathe a bit easier if he had to see extended playing time.

To sign Hoyer, the team could’ve released or traded Landry Jones. They also could’ve released or traded Shaun Suisham. They could’ve made it work. Granted, the point is moot now, since Hoyer is off the table.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/11/11650964/assessing-the-dismal-pittsburgh-steelers-backup-qb-situation

fansince'76
05-12-2016, 04:09 AM
Gradkowski = Hoyer, at 1/2 the price.

Born2Steel
05-12-2016, 08:26 AM
There has to be something else that Hoyer brings. He has done a decent job, not great but not bad, like the article says. But nobody keeps him. As important as it is to have a reliable back up and with as well as he has performed, you would think a team would at least sign him for that role. None of his former teams seem interested though. That's a red flag.

tube517
05-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Gradkowski = Hoyer, at 1/2 the price.

That sounds about right.

I just hope Grad isn't saddled with Batchwich Disorder (Fragile bones). If he gets injured again this year...SMH

Psycho Ward 86
05-12-2016, 09:08 AM
There has to be something else that Hoyer brings. He has done a decent job, not great but not bad, like the article says. But nobody keeps him. As important as it is to have a reliable back up and with as well as he has performed, you would think a team would at least sign him for that role. None of his former teams seem interested though. That's a red flag.

the only thing thats wrong with him is the fact that he's a fringe starter/back up QB. That makes team with franchise QB's unwilling to pay for him and it makes teams that need a QB desperately to view him as a stopgap until something better comes along

Born2Steel
05-12-2016, 11:22 AM
the only thing thats wrong with him is the fact that he's a fringe starter/back up QB. That makes team with franchise QB's unwilling to pay for him and it makes teams that need a QB desperately to view him as a stopgap until something better comes along

That's true too. But neither Cleveland nor Denver brought him in for a look?

ETL
05-12-2016, 12:36 PM
I can't imagine this season will hinge on whether we got Brian Hoyer or not. Nope. Can't see it.

86WARD
05-12-2016, 06:46 PM
$2M for a quality backup QB is dirt cheap...nothing about $2M is too expensive.

86WARD
05-12-2016, 06:47 PM
That's true too. But neither Cleveland nor Denver brought him in for a look?

Frankly, Cleveland is too stupid and Elway thinks he knows something that no one else knows...he's a QB snob.

Mojouw
05-14-2016, 03:30 AM
Hoyer would never come back here. He wants another (last?) chance to be the starter. WHile he is not as talented as Cutler, it wouldn't take much to challenge for that job.

Born2Steel
05-16-2016, 09:58 AM
The Titans waived Mettenberg. I think he's already an upgrade over the back ups currently at QB. We should bring him in for a look at least.

tube517
05-16-2016, 10:07 AM
The Titans waived Mettenberg. I think he's already an upgrade over the back ups currently at QB. We should bring him in for a look at least.

This. Steelers had interest in the '14 draft. Plus, his names ends in "berger". Gives the Bus' Grille another burger/sandwich option

Psycho Ward 86
05-16-2016, 10:26 AM
we did take a long look at him before. dont think we stand much of a chance to take him unless we let him compete for the top back up spot

steelreserve
05-16-2016, 10:52 AM

10 career starts, 0-10 in those starts, and scored in the single digits in half of them?

Oh, and only ever broke 200 yards in blowout losses, plus once against our shit-tastic secondary.

I think we can safely pass on this clown.

polamalubeast
05-16-2016, 11:06 AM
10 career starts, 0-10 in those starts, and scored in the single digits in half of them?

Oh, and only ever broke 200 yards in blowout losses, plus once against our shit-tastic secondary.

agree.

Born2Steel
05-16-2016, 12:03 PM

Titan's offense? Steelers offense? There may be a difference there. Apples and Oranges really.

steelreserve
05-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Titan's offense? Steelers offense? There may be a difference there. Apples and Oranges really.

Chicken or the egg. Did he suck because of the Titans' offense, or did the Titans' offense suck because of him?

However, I'd say that since last year another QB came in and had a QB rating almost 30 points higher than him DURING THE SAME SEASON, it's more likely the latter of those two.

To recap: Titans offense when Mettenberger started last year: 7, 6, 16, 6 (8.75 ppg); Titans offense under Mariota: 21.33 ppg. So it is possible to score some points with that offense.

Yeah, I'd say he sucks.

Born2Steel
05-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Chicken or the egg. Did he suck because of the Titans' offense, or did the Titans' offense suck because of him?

However, I'd say that since last year another QB came in and had a QB rating almost 30 points higher than him DURING THE SAME SEASON, it's more likely the latter of those two.

We are talking about a back up role, aren't we? The question is not if he was better than Mariota, it's will he be better than Landry Jones. As a back up. I'm saying it's worth taking a look at because we already know Jones is terrible. Give Mettenberg our OLine, RBs, and WRs and see if he can be good enough to back up Ben. We're not looking to set the league on fire or anything.

steelreserve
05-16-2016, 02:52 PM
We are talking about a back up role, aren't we? The question is not if he was better than Mariota, it's will he be better than Landry Jones. As a back up. I'm saying it's worth taking a look at because we already know Jones is terrible. Give Mettenberg our OLine, RBs, and WRs and see if he can be good enough to back up Ben. We're not looking to set the league on fire or anything.

I just don't see anything to get excited about from Mettenberger in any case. His numbers are actually worse than Landry Jones' numbers, just over more games. At least Jones doesn't have a learning curve that might make him suck even more.

If we were going to improve our backup QB situation, the best thing to do would've been to sign an UDFA after the draft and see what he could do. If he couldn't beat out Jones, nothing lost. Bottom line is Jones isn't going to lead us to a championship, and neither is Mettenberger; it would just be a lot of running around for nothing.

Born2Steel
05-16-2016, 03:03 PM
I just don't see anything to get excited about from Mettenberger in any case. His numbers are actually worse than Landry Jones' numbers, just over more games. At least Jones doesn't have a learning curve that might make him suck even more.

If we were going to improve our backup QB situation, the best thing to do would've been to sign an UDFA after the draft and see what he could do. If he couldn't beat out Jones, nothing lost. Bottom line is Jones isn't going to lead us to a championship, and neither is Mettenberger; it would just be a lot of running around for nothing.

Pure opinion. I get that and that's fine. I do think he's better than what we currently have on roster. I cannot understand why you would rather bring in someone completely new to the NFL than take a look, but that's how you see it. Bottom line is Jones has not panned out, thus the thread. Maybe if Zach Mettenberger had been an UDFA he'd be worthy of a look.

steelreserve
05-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Pure opinion. I get that and that's fine. I do think he's better than what we currently have on roster. I cannot understand why you would rather bring in someone completely new to the NFL than take a look, but that's how you see it. Bottom line is Jones has not panned out, thus the thread. Maybe if Zach Mettenberger had been an UDFA he'd be worthy of a look.

My reasoning is that Mettenberger is not worth bringing in for the same reason, say, Rick Mirer wouldn't have been worth bringing in. Because he's proven that he sucks. He's had an extended opportunity to show that he sucks. He doesn't need to prove it all over again for us. All that's going to do is confirm that, yup, he sucks.

With a completely new guy, you don't know if he sucks or not. Yeah, it's like a 10% chance that he doesn't, but it's better than a 0% chance.

Yes, I'd sure like someone better than Jones, but I don't see any reason Mettenberger has given to think he's that guy. He's played in more games, but he did horribly in most of them.

Born2Steel
05-16-2016, 03:46 PM
My reasoning is that Mettenberger is not worth bringing in for the same reason, say, Rick Mirer wouldn't have been worth bringing in. Because he's proven that he sucks. He's had an extended opportunity to show that he sucks. He doesn't need to prove it all over again for us. All that's going to do is confirm that, yup, he sucks. With a completely new guy, you don't know if he sucks or not. Yeah, it's like a 10% chance that he doesn't, but it's better than a 0% chance.

Mettenberger played part of 1 season. Hardly compares to Rick Mirer's resume. I get it, you don't think Mettenberger is worth a look. That's your opinion and that's fine. I really disagree with that opinion. As a back up QB, he's worth taking a look at, IMO.

Steelerette
05-16-2016, 07:14 PM
I feel a little uneasy about Gradkowski. I'm fine with him as the primary backup if he's healthy. But there shouldn't be an if. The backup quarterback's entire job is to be healthy.

As far as Mettenberger goes, I don't see how he could be better than Gradkowski. I'd be fine with bringing him in to compete with Landry Jones, but he'll be looking for some team to sign him to be the primary backup so it's hard to see that happening. That said, next year is perhaps the last chance to draft a developmental QB and hope it pans out, instead of needing to spend a high pick and wandering into the post-Ben years unprepared.

86WARD
05-16-2016, 07:19 PM
What has Gradkowski done lately?

steelreserve
05-16-2016, 07:28 PM

I hear he can suck his own dick.

KIDDING! That's Brady.

Steelerette
05-16-2016, 11:06 PM
While I wouldn't balk at bringing Zach to camp to compete, he was kind of... terrible. Grad hasn't done much in five years, but at least he's very familiar with our system. The Michael Vick experiment was also frightening enough to watch what happens when we have someone with supposed veteran savvy just wing it. I can't see any circumstance in which Ben gets injured and the choice is made by this organization to play Mettenberger instead of Gradkowski. Which gives me the suspicion that he isn't going to want to come here to compete for the third string job.

If we're playing the "I heard of this guy and he's got to be better than Landry Jones?" game, why not bring in Christian Ponder?

If Landry Jones doesn't look very good this preseason then I have a feeling our QB3 this year will be someone who's currently on another roster and gets cut, but... I doubt Gradkowski is displaced as QB2, done anything lately or not. Which is a shame because he's almost as old as Ben. Batch was a great backup except when he was injured... maybe we need to stop having old backups.

LloydWoodson
05-17-2016, 01:12 PM
This is not the year to change the QB situation. Landry will be the #2 and Gradkowski has one more year as the backup's backup. Tomlin likes the intangibles Grad brings. He is knowledgeable and a good teammate. That's great until he has to start a game.

Gradkowski's career passer rating is 66. That would be good enough for 58th out of 61 QBs who threw 10 passes last year. Gradkowski wasn't good before going on the IR and I don't expect he will be better after another injury, another year older, and another year away from throwing a TD or winning a game. 6-14 as a starter albeit on some bad teams.

Hopefully a Hoyer/Batch type will be available next year. The Steelers should be after a safe choice for a backup QB- a veteran with experience who can manage a game. The Steelers should not be wasting draft picks on backup QBs. It should be all in with Ben as long as he is here and picks should be used to surround him with talent.

hawaiiansteeler
05-19-2016, 01:19 AM

Field Yates ✔‎@FieldYates

Source: two teams other than the Chargers attempted to claim QB Zach Mettenberger, the Giants and Bengals.

18 May 2016

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/bengals-giants-attempted-claim-qb-zach-mettenberger-off-waivers/