PDA

View Full Version : Chickillo takes the next step

hawaiiansteeler
05-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Chickillo takes the next step

Posted May 9, 2016
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Anthony Chickillo made huge strides in his first NFL season.

A year ago, Anthony Chickillo was going through what this year’s rookie class just went through. From dealing with the NFL Scouting Combine, to the NFL Draft, and then rookie minicamp, he experienced it all.

And to say it was a learning experience, from the beginning of minicamp to the end of the season, is an understatement.

The linebacker learned what life in the NFL is like, every aspect of it, from the good and the bad.

The reality of it all hit early on when he was released from the team on the final cut down day before the regular season, signed back to the practice squad a day later, and then eventually brought up to the active roster a few weeks later.

It was a whirlwind that opened his eyes up to what taking that next step in football is really all about.

“I didn’t know I was going to get cut, but they made a business decision and that’s part of it,” said Chickillo. “I’m just happy to be here. I like being here. I want to be here as long as I can.”

The learning didn’t end there for the Steelers’ 2015 sixth-round draft pick. Chickillo came to the Steelers after playing defensive end at the University of Miami and had to make the transition to outside linebacker in the Steelers 3-4 defense. So not only was he adjusting to a completely different defensive scheme, he was adjusting to a new position.

“There was some, maybe not doubt, but you’re not used to that, you’re out of your comfort zone,” said Chickillo. “Learning a new position was the toughest thing for me. I was out of my comfort zone, not having done it before in college. I hadn’t played since little league, playing standing up.

“There were different things I had to do, just playing in space, dropping in coverage. Those are things I didn’t do in college. I was strictly hand in the dirt, playing more like a defensive tackle than an outside edge rusher. So that was a learning experience for me.”

Chickillo relied heavily on others for help, from defensive coordinator Keith Butler, to fellow linebackers James Harrison, Arthur Moats and Jarvis Jones. But it was the tutelage of linebackers coach Joey Porter, the two working in tandem, that made the transition go smoothly.

“He explains things always so we can understand,” said Chickillo. “He makes it simple for us so we can understand. He is just a great motivator. He makes you really want to play hard for him because you don’t want to let him down. He’s been huge for me overall and for me learning how to play outside linebacker. I learned that I can play in this league.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Chickillo-takes-the-next-step/234b07e5-63d4-4179-a0f3-d7ea8beeb570

tube517
05-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Chickillo sure looks different now. :chuckle:

Steeldude
05-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Chickillo relied heavily on others for help, from defensive coordinator Keith Butler, to fellow linebackers James Harrison, Arthur Moats and Jarvis Jones

Ugh! Not Jones.

hawaiiansteeler
05-14-2016, 01:18 PM
A caring cut for Chickillo

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Getting 'cut' isn't normally good for a football player, except in this case.

Linebacker Anthony Chickillo is sporting a new look this offseason, his long signature hair replaced by a shorter cut.

The new look has nothing to do with getting ready for the warm summer weather, or just wanting a change of pace.

Chickillo cut it off to benefit Wigs for Kids, a nonprofit organization that donates wigs to kids who are losing their hair because of medical reasons.

“I just felt like it was a good thing I could do,” said Chickillo. “I knew I could grow mine back so I thought it was a good thing. I saw it online one day, I saw someone had done it, and I thought it was a good thing I could do.”

Wigs for Kids requires you cut off at least six to seven inches of hair, and it wasn’t a problem for Chickillo who had eight inches cut off.

“I wish I could see whoever gets it, but I know it will make someone happy,” he said. “It’s something good you can do for someone else.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/A-caring-cut-for-Chickillo/87badd1e-f5cd-410a-89a9-192296cab8fd

Steeldude
05-14-2016, 07:31 PM
I wonder, if Chickillo and one of the drafts plays very well, will they let Jones go? He is mostly gone after the season ends anyway.

BlackAndGold
05-15-2016, 02:31 AM
Jones isn't going anywhere this year. He will be a Steeler unless he does something stupid.