PDA

View Full Version : PFF: THE 16 WORST PICKS OF THE 2016 NFL DRAFT

hawaiiansteeler
05-07-2016, 08:55 PM
THE 16 WORST PICKS OF THE 2016 NFL DRAFT

Mike Renner highlights the worst decisions made by teams with picks in the 2016 draft.

by MIKE RENNER

Now that the dust has settled following the 2016 NFL draft, it’s time to look back at which picks stood out — for the wrong reasons. A number of elements can lead to a selection being deemed the “worst” — the value of the player at the time of the selection, how he fits with his team’s scheme, and whether he fills a need. Here are the 16 worst from this past weekend:

1. Roberto Aguayo, K, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Over the past two seasons Aguayo was only 64 percent accurate on field-goal attempts from 40-plus yards (14-for-22). That’s not even close to the accuracy of the top kickers in the NFL. We get that the kicking game was a disaster last year for the Bucs, but they passed on a ton of good players to select a guy that we didn’t even have as the top kicker in the class — and even traded up to do it.

2. Christian Hackenberg, QB, New York Jets
Sam Monson already said all we have to say on Hackenberg. He’s not just inaccurate by NFL standards, he was the second-most inaccurate quarterback in college last year. How much is that going to change, no matter how good his coaching is with the Jets?

3. Germain Ifedi, OT, Seattle Seahawks
Philosophically we’ll probably never be fans of Seahawks draft picks on the offensive line. They tend to take physical projects and hope to teach them how to block. Pass-blocking, however, is one of the most technical skills in the NFL, and it helps to at least come from a solid base. Ifedi doesn’t have that at the moment. His hands and feet are terribly out of synch in pass protection, and unsurprisingly Ifedi had just the 76th-best pass blocking efficiency in the country last year. He may be the answer to their offensive line woes, but it will take a few years of coaching to get him to that level.

4. Willie Beavers, OT, Minnesota Vikings
It’s difficult to imagine a tackle who played as poorly as Beavers did in college ever becoming a viable player in the NFL. He was the second-lowest-graded tackle in all of college football last year, and the lowest-graded tackle at the Senior Bowl practices. Beavers has an insanely long way to go to ever be a viable contributor in the league.

5. Keanu Neal, S, Atlanta Falcons
After seeing Gus Bradley and the Jaguars get “their Richard Sherman” in No. 5 overall pick Jalen Ramsey, Dan Quinn obviously wanted “his Kam Chancellor”, as both former Seahawks defensive coordinators look to shape their new teams after their old ones. Unfortunately, there really weren’t any players resembling Chancellor in this draft, and so they reached big-time for the closest thing they could find. Neal is great at making the plays that allow him to move toward the line of scrimmage, but when asked to do anything other than that at Florida, the results were scary. Neal graded out below-average in run defense and pass coverage thanks to 16 missed tackles last season.

6. Artie Burns, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers
The fact that Pittsburgh had a desperate need for a cornerback doesn’t make this pick any less of a reach. Burns had six interceptions last season, but he’s far more of a project than he is a finished product at this point. The Miami cornerback has issues changing direction on tape and showed almost no feel for zone coverage. On a team that played zone at one of the highest rates in the NFL last year, that’s concerning.

7. Deion Jones, LB, Atlanta Falcons
Linebacker is probably the last position at which we’d want to be drafting a pure athletic project, and that’s what Jones is. It would be one thing if they were trying to teach a guy that could cover how to play run defense, but Jones didn’t even post a positive coverage grade last season with his elite athleticism. And at 222 pounds, you don’t want him taking on blocks any times soon. Jones’ 40 total stops were the 88th-most of any linebacker in college football last year — that’s not good.

8. Derrick Henry, RB, Tennessee Titans
After shoring up the right tackle position in the first round with Jack Conklin, the Titans continued to find personnel that fits the “exotic smashmouth” scheme they are trying to build by picking up the most physically imposing running back in the draft. Unfortunately, Henry doesn’t offer much of anything different than what DeMarco Murray already brings to the table, and they passed up a golden opportunity to shore up their offensive line even further. Henry is great at falling forward on downhill runs, but he’s chopped down easily in space and isn’t a natural receiver out of the backfield. Drafting a backup running back in the second round with a roster full of needs is not something we can get on board with.

9. Jihad Ward, DE, Oakland Raiders
Ward posted average grades in college and then went to the combine and posted below-average athletic testing numbers. At that point we have a hard time seeing the upside from the Raiders’ second-round pick. His 42 percent win rate in the one-on-one pass rushing drills at the Senior Bowl was the third-worst rate of any defensive end there.

10. Sean Davis, DB, Pittsburgh Steelers
He played cornerback at Maryland, but may move to safety for the Steelers. We’re not sure that’s magically going to make him into a better football player, however. He had a minus-6.7 coverage grade that was one of the worst in the class, and allowed 50 of 81 targets to be completed for 721 yards in only 12 games last year. That extrapolates to 961 yards over a 16-game season, which would have been the third-worst total in the NFL last year.

11. Taylor Decker, OT, Detroit Lions
The Lions clearly made offensive line a priority after their dreadful showing in the run game last year. The problem is that Decker flat-out wasn’t anything special in pass protection the previous two seasons. Besides playing in an offense that rarely asks him to take true pass sets and protected their offensive line, Decker still was 79th nationally in pass-blocking efficiency. If he has the frame and athleticism to be a great pass protector in the NFL, then why didn’t he do it in college with top-notch coaching at Ohio State?

12. T.J. Green, DB, Indianapolis Colts
Some evaluators see Green as a cornerback, but we’re not sure his coverage skills are even good enough for safety in the NFL. Green didn’t just grade negatively, he had the seventh-lowest coverage grade in the FBS last year. He gave up 25 catches and 479 yards on 39 targets and didn’t get his hand on a single pass all season. If there is a silver lining, it’s that Green had the 28th-highest grade nationally against the run.

13. Nick Vannett, TE, Seattle Seahawks
Vannett isn’t a bad receiver by any means, but he’s a completely un-dynamic receiving threat who wasn’t very productive in college taken in the third round. Over the past two seasons he’s broken a grand total of two tackles after the catch. He has great size for the position and some potential as a run blocker, but he has limited experience as an in-line blocker and athletically he’ll have a difficult time separating from linebackers.

14. Will Fuller, WR, Houston Texans
I like Fuller a lot, and believe he went to one of the best situations for him in the league, but taking Fuller over Josh Doctson is mind-boggling. Fuller obviously has elite speed and it’s clear the Texans wanted a deep threat to take pressure off of DeAndre Hopkins. But instead of getting a deep threat only in Fuller, they could have gotten a deep threat who is also an intermediate threat and red-zone threat. Doctson is a far better all-around receiver and caught just as many deep passes (17) as Fuller did last season.

15. Eli Apple, CB, New York Giants
This is another pick where the team didn’t select a bad player — we had a first-round grade on Apple — but they passed up better options in order to get him. The Ohio State cornerback was fourth on our draft board, and from a grading standpoint, he wasn’t close to Vernon Hargreaves or William Jackson III over the past two seasons. It also leaves the Giants with the question of who plays slot cornerback. Apple, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Janoris Jenkins had fewer than 100 snaps among the three of them out of the slot last season.

16. Darron Lee, LB, New York Jets
Almost every year we see a fantastic athlete get drafted highly on the premise that teams can teach him how to play linebacker. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn’t. This year that’s Darron Lee. We say that the Jets will have to teach him to play linebacker, because he didn’t even really play linebacker last year at Ohio State. 45 percent of his snaps came from the slot, and a good percentage more came in an outside linebacker role. His run reads in the box were not close to an NFL level yet, and at a shade over 230 pounds that may never be his forte. Lee was one of the best blitzers in the class, however, so while we can’t endorse the riskiness of this pick in the first round, we can see the upside potential.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/05/02/draft-the-16-worst-picks-of-the-2016-nfl-draft/

Count Steeler
05-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Let's check back in a couple of years. If this guy was that clairvoyant he'd be pretty rich. And working for an NFL team.

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2016, 11:16 PM
The reasoning behind Sean Davis on there is really misinformed. Artie is better termed as one of the biggest boom or bust picks of 2016

fansince'76
05-07-2016, 11:29 PM
The reasoning behind Sean Davis on there is really misinformed.

That's what "statistical analysis" with absolutely no context gets you. What's really annoying is that so many people treat anything and everything that Pro Football Focus says as gospel.

GBMelBlount
05-08-2016, 06:33 AM
That's what "statistical analysis" with absolutely no context gets you.

What's really annoying is that so many people treat anything and everything that Pro Football Focus says as gospel.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5ziHIA5H_Xw/Twr2ZsdfX4I/AAAAAAAABPM/ngD6xNn2DQ0/s320/jesus_football.jpg

fansince'76
05-08-2016, 09:12 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5ziHIA5H_Xw/Twr2ZsdfX4I/AAAAAAAABPM/ngD6xNn2DQ0/s320/jesus_football.jpg

You had to bring Tim Tebow into it? :chuckle:

Steeldude
05-08-2016, 09:19 AM
I do feel Burns was a reach, but I think Davis is a solid pick, to play safety.

lipps83
05-08-2016, 10:06 AM
I do feel Burns was a reach, but I think Davis is a solid pick, to play safety.

I agree. I think Davis was probably the most solid pick that they made outside of Hargrave (for value per pick).

st33lersguy
05-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Davis was in an unfamiliar position and still got 5 INTs and 3 forced fumbles.

Dwinsgames
05-08-2016, 10:55 AM
biggest issue I think in the Burns breakdown from my stand point anyways is the writer is under the impression he will be used as a zone corner , where as in retrospect anyone that watches Steeler football should know we like to man up on one side of the field a good amount of the time WHEN we have a corner capable of those matchups ...

we did it with Cortez ( short term clearly ) we did it with Ike for his entire career and we did it with Woodson ..

when we have a cover corner we use him as such and play zone around the single man coverage if you will and clearly the writer is not aware of this

hawaiiansteeler
05-08-2016, 11:41 PM
http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=XYM7F yCnqpVxA1yoVk9Jxs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYseZLsWg8OLqlM mLXtSJRSzWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers second and first-round pick's Sean Davis (28) and Artie Burns during rookie mini camp Friday, May 6, 2016 at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10423048-74/virginia-johnson-penn

tube517
05-09-2016, 06:43 AM
http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=XYM7F yCnqpVxA1yoVk9Jxs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYseZLsWg8OLqlM mLXtSJRSzWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers second and first-round pick's Sean Davis (28) and Artie Burns during rookie mini camp Friday, May 6, 2016 at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10423048-74/virginia-johnson-penn

Take a look at Wil Gay's luggage carriers.

zulater
05-09-2016, 07:07 PM
biggest issue I think in the Burns breakdown from my stand point anyways is the writer is under the impression he will be used as a zone corner , where as in retrospect anyone that watches Steeler football should know we like to man up on one side of the field a good amount of the time WHEN we have a corner capable of those matchups ...

we did it with Cortez ( short term clearly ) we did it with Ike for his entire career and we did it with Woodson ..

when we have a cover corner we use him as such and play zone around the single man coverage if you will and clearly the writer is not aware of this

Good points.

Born2Steel
05-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Davis is a safety that had to play CB for the team. He will be in a more natural spot for him with us. Not worried at all about that selection. The Burns pick makes me wonder though. I have to think we will put him on the other team's #1 in press with a 2nd playing either over or under. He's not a zone player and we are traditionally a zone secondary. I could see him and Grant rotating.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Davis is a safety that had to play CB for the team. He will be in a more natural spot for him with us. Not worried at all about that selection. The Burns pick makes me wonder though. I have to think we will put him on the other team's #1 in press with a 2nd playing either over or under. He's not a zone player and we are traditionally a zone secondary. I could see him and Grant rotating.

traditionally we are man cover of the oppositions #1 and play zone around that , however we have not been able to do so since Ike lost a step and Cortez only showed promise starting situationalally in spot duty ( prior to the contract ) ..Ike played Man and off man for years ..

we can only play that way when we have capable players to fill that designation and as of late we simply have not had much more than warm bodies to trot out at the pos. that where better suited to play zone

86WARD
05-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Making predictions on who has the best draft class or who is boom and who is busy at this stage is one of the dumbest things about the off season.

SteelerFanInStl
05-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Making predictions on who has the best draft class or who is boom and who is busy at this stage is one of the dumbest things about the off season.

Absolutely. That's why I never read that crap. Talk to me in 3 years.

Steel Peon
05-14-2016, 06:24 PM
OMG! PFF is the #1 authority in grading players, so basically we're fucked.

fansince'76
05-15-2016, 12:41 AM
OMG! PFF is the #1 authority in grading players, so basically we're fucked.

I've referenced PFFs grades on a regular basis this past season on the notion that the key is consistency. Even if you disagree with how the grades are determined if they at least were consistent then there is some value in them. I also considered that given PFF is owned by former NFL WR Cris Collinsworth that he would ensure there is validity in the grades. Yet I know many of our readers absolutely hate the grading system. Well you are not alone.

NFL players rail on Pro Football Focus grading system (http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/5/9/11640274/nfl-players-rail-on-pro-football-focus-grading-system)

That actually explains a LOT. I wonder if Phil Simms and Joe Theismann are partners as well...

tube517
05-15-2016, 03:44 AM
NFL players rail on Pro Football Focus grading system (http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/5/9/11640274/nfl-players-rail-on-pro-football-focus-grading-system)

That actually explains a LOT. I wonder if Phil Simms and Joe Theismann are partners as well...

So that's why NBC and Collinsworthless used them on SNF.

zulater
05-16-2016, 02:09 PM

I've taken issue with PFF for years. They have a very inflated opinion of their self worth. I ony read them because no one else is attempting to do what they propose that they're doing. But I pay particular attention to Steeler games. I watch the same play 2-10 times on NFL rewind quite often trying to figure out why a play fails or succeeds. Like PFF I'm limited in not knowing the play call and each players designated assignment is such. Unlike PFF I acknowledge this, and wait for post game comments from the coaches and players to try to fill in the gaps that can be filled in. And also realize that some gaps wont be filled in and therefore to offer overly critical commentary is something to be done at your own risk. You can get a a sense of what's going on, but in the end I defer to the pros. In other words it's rare I'll question why a coach is playing one player over another. They have more at stake than me or any analytical website so therefore if playing time is being granted or denied I'll just chalk it up to that information gap that is inaccessible to the non insider.

And of course the same applies with draft pick and their assessment's. In other words know what you don't know and you avoid painting yourself into the proverbial corner with comments that can't be taken back.

pczach
05-17-2016, 05:40 AM
Much of what PFF does is relevant, but stuff like rating draft picks is ridiculous.

When evaluating players and rating performance, it works better when the players being evaluated are going up against real NFL players. The talent is so thin and the competition is so varied in college football that you can't evaluate the same way in college that you can in the NFL.

I put zero stock in any ratings of college players using PFF's pro-style rating system. They are just background noise in a sea of draft related predictions everyone is making to try to be noticed and heard. PFF will only prove that they can rate college players like this if they have a great track record for many years. I just don't see it.

The other thing that fools many teams and evaluators is the complete unknown in regard to how much a player will improve when they become full-time football players. Some players top out in their growth early in their careers, while others thrive and grow when they dedicate their lives to football like they can do as a professional. Some players blossom later than others. In other words, this in not an exact science.

PFF is a tool that has a purpose and can be useful for evaluations at the pro level. It is not the be-all, end-all, but it is not garbage either. IMO, they should stick to the NFL ratings.

LloydWoodson
05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
PFF does provide a framework for analysis though. Nobody would accuse them of lying for pointing out how much Antwan Blake was roasted last year.

PFF's biggest problem is they buy into their own stats and hype too hard.

Sorry but drafting a 250 pound running back who runs a 4.5 40 and won the Heisman half way through the second round is not a bad pick. I hear Sproles is available if a team needs a 3rd down RB. Those are a lot easier to come by than power backs with corner speed.

*Also the players complaining about PFF are saying that the graders never played football... well neither did Belichick or Haley. That was their main argument and it is a poor one. Casual fans know when an OT gives up a sack etc.

hawaiiansteeler
05-17-2016, 02:53 PM
PFF does provide a framework for analysis though. Nobody would accuse them of lying for pointing out how much Antwan Blake was roasted last year.

PFF's biggest problem is they buy into their own stats and hype too hard.

Sorry but drafting a 250 pound running back who runs a 4.5 40 and won the Heisman half way through the second round is not a bad pick. I hear Sproles is available if a team needs a 3rd down RB. Those are a lot easier to come by than power backs with corner speed.

*Also the players complaining about PFF are saying that the graders never played football... well neither did Belichick or Haley. That was their main argument and it is a poor one. Casual fans know when an OT gives up a sack etc.

welcome to the board Lloyd, it's nice to see you here. :drink:

and great post as usual...

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 02:14 AM
welcome to the board Lloyd, it's nice to see you here. :drink:

and great post as usual...

Thanks. I already liked a bunch of your posts. Good stuff.