PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release offensive tackle Mike Adams

polamalubeast
05-05-2016, 09:36 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/steelers-part-ways-t-mike-adams-two-others/

Rotorhead
05-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Wow, didnt see that coming, why not wait until after camp to at least have the competition or possible trade bait?

GBMelBlount
05-05-2016, 09:51 AM
If I am not mistaken he came to Pittsburgh and BEGGED for a chance and the Steelers bought it hook, line and sinker.

If his performance issues are due to injuries and back problems I feel for him.

However if it is due to laziness and lack of desire then hopefully this is a lesson learned...

I mean do we have ANY solid players who were labeled "lazy" coming out of college?

McCullers?

Personally I think a little "nasty" is required, especially in the trenches.

katmandu
05-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Wow, didnt see that coming, why not wait until after camp to at least have the competition or possible trade bait?You obviously did not read the whole article.

Adams, .... was released with the failed physical designation,

- - - Updated - - -

If his performance issues are due to injuries and back problems I feel for him.

However if it is due to laziness and lack of desire then hopefully this is a lesson learned....
Adams, who was released with the failed physical designation,

That said, Mikey was a just a big teddy bear. He never did possess the Warrior mentality, drive or heart of someone like Hines Ward or Troy. Not even close. The exact opposite in fact.

st33lersguy
05-05-2016, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7HmnsHGJI

Mojouw
05-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Once again I am amazed at the internet's ability to diagnose mental issues through TV and blog posts.

We can't and don't know about Adams' work ethic or drive. We do know that he was undone by injuries and several coaching changes early in his career.

Then he got passed on the depth chart.

He joins a long and not distinguished list of crappy players the Steelers have employed to play offensive tackle.

tube517
05-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Ok, well we still have competition in camp/preseason for the LT job between Alejandro/Chargers dude/Rookie

Rotorhead
05-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Your right, I didn't read the article, my bad.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2016, 11:50 AM
You obviously did not read the whole article.

Indeed, it was excruciatingly long.

Do you know for a fact that the failed physical is the ONLY reason he was cut?

If I am not mistaken the Steelers have hung onto players with injuries in some cases if the liked them.

SteelMember
05-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Who? I'd rather have a Sam Adams anyway...

steelreserve
05-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, back injuries for offensive linemen can be a career-ender. It must've been really bad if we let him go now, since we would've gotten to keep him on his rookie contract another year thanks to the PUP designation. Surprised they didn't even bring him in to training camp.

Although maybe this plus our fourth-round pick sends the message that even Munchak decided he just couldn't do anything with the guy and it was time to move on.

SteelMember
05-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Yeah, back injuries for offensive linemen can be a career-ender. It must've been really bad if we let him go now, since we would've gotten to keep him on his rookie contract another year thanks to the PUP designation. Surprised they didn't even bring him in to training camp.

Although maybe this plus our fourth-round pick sends the message that even Munchak decided he just couldn't do anything with the guy and it was time to move on.

They say smoking weed can help back pain... and we already know he enjoys that. :chuckle:

zulater
05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Once again I am amazed at the internet's ability to diagnose mental issues through TV and blog posts.

We can't and don't know about Adams' work ethic or drive. We do know that he was undone by injuries and several coaching changes early in his career.

Then he got passed on the depth chart.

He joins a long and not distinguished list of crappy players the Steelers have employed to play offensive tackle.

He was "undone" by his inability to consistently block the guy across from him. He was a wasted roster spot every day he was on the team. Never seen a player given so much credit for accomplishing so little. I watched the games where his play was supposedly allright paying particular attention to him. On over 2/3 of his played snaps if you put a traffic cone in place of him the traffic cone would have fared better. I'm glad he's finally gone. Had he not been overdrafted and been evaluated based on performance he would have been cut two training camp's ago.

Shoes
05-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Mike Adams was released because he is from the same fraternity as Sweed, Mendenhall, Worilds & Cortez Allen. I'm happy he's gone.

Steeldude
05-05-2016, 01:36 PM
He is a lazy puss. That is his problem.

tube517
05-05-2016, 02:23 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-release-three-trim-roster-to-90/551026cd-bf33-4a60-9011-19f0ed9584b0

Pretty sad when you get released so early with 2 other guys who nobody knew.

Psycho Ward 86
05-05-2016, 02:43 PM
i dont like that he was cut this early. do i have my doubts he was still going to end up any good? Sure, but were still so early in the offseason i think he should have gotten a chance to compete before ultimately probably being cut.

SteelMember
05-05-2016, 03:04 PM
i dont like that he was cut this early. do i have my doubts he was still going to end up any good? Sure, but were still so early in the offseason i think he should have gotten a chance to compete before ultimately probably being cut.

It's all about roster spots. With rookie camp and OTA's, you want guys who can compete now so you can evaluate with some degree of confidence. Not ones that can't even pass the physical. Guys will come and go between now and then, but it's still about rotating with the allotted amount of spots.

Mojouw
05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
He was "undone" by his inability to consistently block the guy across from him. He was a wasted roster spot every day he was on the team. Never seen a player given so much credit for accomplishing so little. I watched the games where his play was supposedly allright paying particular attention to him. On over 2/3 of his played snaps if you put a traffic cone in place of him the traffic cone would have fared better. I'm glad he's finally gone. Had he not been overdrafted and been evaluated based on performance he would have been cut two training camp's ago.

That'll work as an explanation. I suspect Adams is just bad at NFL football as well. But I don't think there is much reason to decide he some lazy p.o.s that never worked at getting better.

Maybe he is/was, but we don't know. I am glad he has been replaced on the roster and disappointed that such a high draft pick went over like a wet fart - but I don't see the need to declare Adams and every other failed Steelers player as lazy, not a hard worker, etc etc.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2016, 12:50 AM
Mike Adams was released because he is from the same fraternity as Sweed, Mendenhall, Worilds & Cortez Allen.

that fraternity all had something in common:

https://i0.wp.com/www.pensacolainsuranceinspections.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Money_Down_The_Toilet.jpg

86WARD
05-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Again...would've been a BRILLIANT off season had it not been for Bryant's issues...

LloydWoodson
05-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Adams definitely played with an edge. He was a great run blocker, played to the whistle and stood up for teammates.

Adams got stabbed by resisting a mugging by 3 men... but keyboard warriors call him soft. That is ridiculous.

Go watch the games where Adams filled in for Gilbert and Dwyer and Redman had back to back 100 yard games. Adams played with edge.

Gilbert does not have the same edge but he gets the job done and has excelled in pass protection.

Adams and Gilbert both were unable to seize the LT spot and Gilbert has turned into a great RT. The end.

- - - Updated - - -

That'll work as an explanation. I suspect Adams is just bad at NFL football as well. But I don't think there is much reason to decide he some lazy p.o.s that never worked at getting better.

Maybe he is/was, but we don't know. I am glad he has been replaced on the roster and disappointed that such a high draft pick went over like a wet fart - but I don't see the need to declare Adams and every other failed Steelers player as lazy, not a hard worker, etc etc.

I like your opinion. I don't understand why exSteelers are treated so often with hostility. I don't see any evidence Adams was soft. He didn't cut it at LT where he was intended to play and RT is taken. Gilbert has made incredible progress under Munchak.

Steeldude
05-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Adams definitely played with an edge. He was a great run blocker, played to the whistle and stood up for teammates.

Adams was very soft. He did not play to the whistle. He was afraid of contact. I remember one play, during a fumble, he was going to block a player, but quickly pulled his arms back and allowed the player to pass. It was almost like he was apologizing to the player for touching him.

That is like saying you didn't know Mendenhall was soft.

steelreserve
05-17-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't think Adams was "soft," he just made mistakes, and I don't think he was able to think on his feet and react quickly enough, so he got caught off guard too often.

That's why his shortcomings were a lot more evident in the passing game than the running game. Run blocking, you know where you're going and what you have to do. Pass blocking, you're reacting to the defender, and it's a lot harder.

We have had tons and tons of offensive linemen who were decent run blockers and terrible in pass protection for that reason, and I don't think Adams' case was any different. He just had more physical potential than most of the others. But if you're not quick enough on your feet, it all turns out the same.

LloydWoodson
05-18-2016, 02:37 AM
I don't think Adams was "soft," he just made mistakes, and I don't think he was able to think on his feet and react quickly enough, so he got caught off guard too often.

That's why his shortcomings were a lot more evident in the passing game than the running game. Run blocking, you know where you're going and what you have to do. Pass blocking, you're reacting to the defender, and it's a lot harder.

We have had tons and tons of offensive linemen who were decent run blockers and terrible in pass protection for that reason, and I don't think Adams' case was any different. He just had more physical potential than most of the others. But if you're not quick enough on your feet, it all turns out the same.

Exactly. Adams was drafted to play LT and he wasn't able. Gilbert has RT locked down. The end.

Gilbert doesn't have much of a nasty streak he has just become very good.