PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Steelers Stock Watch – NT Daniel McCullers – Stock Down

Shoes
05-04-2016, 07:34 AM
BY MATTHEW MARCZI (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/matthew-marczi/) MAY 4, 2016 AT 07:00 AM
With the 2016 NFL Draft now over and the bulk of the heavy lifting done with regard to the roster building process now out of the way, it is easier to begin to take stock of where the Pittsburgh Steelers stand at certain positions, and what the implications might be of a variety of moves for certainly players.
And take stock is what we shall do, as every move has ramifications up and down the roster, so now we will take a look at some specific players and see how the team’s moves during the course of the offseason thus far has sent their stock rising or falling.
Player: NT Daniel McCullers
Stock Value: Down
It would seem a bit difficult to describe a former sixth-round draft pick with minimal experience as having his stock lowered, but that is the case for third-year nose tackle Daniel McCullers in the wake of the 2016 NFL Draft, during which the Steelers were vocal about addressing the need for a different sort of player that he is, nonetheless at the position that he plays.
And, more importantly, Pittsburgh was able to get that player in the form of defensive tackle Javon Hargrave in the third round, and who may hold the greatest chance of all among the rookie class to serve as an opening day starter—provided that the defense opens in a 3-4 front, that is.
And that is a key, of course, because the Steelers do not believe that the 6’7”, 350-pound McCullers has the capacity to contribute in the team’s primary defensive package, which is the nickel, in which they function with two down linemen, primarily their starting defensive ends serving as tackles.
Depending on how quick a study the small-school product proves to be, Hargrave could figure to serve as the primary rotational player for those starting ends in the nickel defense as early as the season opener. That is a value that McCullers doesn’t even hold for the team.
The value that he does hold is as a true nose tackle, a big body that can clog the middle and generate pressure up the middle in rare instances through brute strength if necessary. Combined with the emergence of Hargrave and the fact that he has little evidence on film that he can do this on a high level, his stock has to be considered as down.
Of course, his stock began very much up early in the offseason after the Steelers saw three-year starting nose tackle Steve McLendon sign a contract with the Jets, whom they play later this season. After that free agent loss, McCullers was in line to serve as the team’s 3-4 nose tackle.
He may indeed begin the season in that role, but the Steelers are sure to frequent that package as little as possible, and will likely attempt to give some of those snaps to Hargrave until they are comfortable in moving him up the depth chart. Either way, it seems clear that he holds no long-term stability at this juncture, occupying a role that naturally limits his opportunities and value.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/2016-steelers-stock-watch-nt-daniel-mccullers-stock/

Rotorhead
05-04-2016, 10:52 AM
I am hopeful McCullers can make an improvement and be the NT we need for the few times we use him. He showed flashes of it last season. If he can keep that improvement up, we are set at DL for several years!

steelreserve
05-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Can he disrupt the pocket? If so, then he has value in this system. If not, then he will continue to have a very limited role. Unfortunately, so far he has only shown he can do that occasionally.

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2016, 01:28 PM
the author of this article sure likes to use commas, you would think someone at Steelers Depot could help him to proofread his articles and help him with that...

katmandu
05-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Can he disrupt the pocket? If so, then he has value in this system. If not, then he will continue to have a very limited role. Unfortunately, so far he has only shown he can do that occasionally.I've read somewhere that Big Dan has improved substantially this off-season. It was said he is working his ass off.

I can't wait to see the results.

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2016, 02:01 PM
I've read somewhere that Big Dan has improved substantially this off-season. It was said he is working his ass off.

I can't wait to see the results.

didn't they say that about him last offseason too?

Shoes
05-04-2016, 02:05 PM
didn't they say that about him last offseason too?

I believe they did, I sure hope he gets it together.

ALLD
05-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Send him up the middle when the opposing team kicks FGs.

Rotorhead
05-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Well last season was an improvement to the year before, so it is completely possible for more improvement. There were a few times he completely destroyed the ppl in front of him. If he can show that on a consistent basis, then look out.

pczach
05-04-2016, 04:14 PM
The other question is: Do they also use a starting defensive line with Heyward and Tuitt as the DE's, and McCullers and Hargrave at the DT's in a 4-3 set in spots or in sub packages to crush the pocket?

tube517
05-04-2016, 07:15 PM
The other question is: Do they also use a starting defensive line with Heyward and Tuitt as the DE's, and McCullers and Hargrave at the DT's in a 4-3 set in spots or in sub packages to crush the pocket?

I'd be curious to see this in some situations.

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2016, 07:41 PM

great question, but isn't it nice to have options? :thumbsup:

RunNGun
05-04-2016, 07:54 PM

I believe we will see a similar formation to a 4-3, with a few tweeks. The four downline men would be what you mentioned with ST and CH at the ends and DM and JH playing the tackles. Not having two, or at least one speed rusher isn't typical in a 4-3. To make up for that lack of speed you subsitute a LB for a Safety. Hopefully Sean Davis will be the man for that. Basically, replacing Garvin's role in this formation. They used this sub package a lot last year, but instead of having the four lineman you mentioned, they left JJ and BD on the edges with ST and CH in the middle. Having all that size and speed in a sub package is very exciting to think about.

RunNGun
05-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Those 4 defensive line man should eat up blockers effectively, allowing Shazier, Dupree, and Davis to run free.

pczach
05-04-2016, 09:06 PM
-The other thing about this article is that it rates McCullers stock down, but the fact that he was the backup to McLendon last year, and the fact that McLendon is gone makes his role as the teams true NT more important....not less.

I can see where he thinks Hargrave will take all his snaps, but we really don't know that yet. The fascinating thing about this draft is that they didn't draft the position that has defined this defense for a long, long time......OLB/Edge rusher.

The fifth year option on Jarvis Jones was declined by the team. On top of that, they didn't draft anyone to play that position, which is the premier position that has been relied upon to create pressure on the quarterback. That tells us something, but I'm not sure what yet.

Maybe they believe the answer is on the roster, but that seems doubtful. Moats is not an elite player. Zumwalt has been injured and we really don't know what he is capable of yet. There seem to be limited options to fill that role on the current roster. Maybe they plan to cross that bridge when they get there in the draft or free agency.

The other possibility is that there is a schematic change coming on the defensive side of the ball, and the personnel that will be used to run the new defense doesn't include a 3-4 OLB. It sounds like heresy, but all the moves the team has made lately seem to be moving away from the types of players they have traditionally drafted to fit into the 3-4 defensive scheme. They have now reshaped the defensive line, and it appears that has become the focal point of the defense.

The wildcard appears to be what they are going to do with Travis Feeney, and how they are going to construct the secondary. They have drafted a lot of speed and guys that can really hit. Feeney is an undersized LB that doesn't seem to fit into the traditional role of an outside LB in a 3-4. He is more of a S/LB hybrid that can fly around and make plays either covering the TE, dropping into zone, or blitzing the quarterback from anywhere in Butler's scheme.

Sean Davis is a safety that runs like a deer and hits like a truck. From the outside, it appears they have been acquiring players that can run and hit. They are the perfect complimentary players when running a cover 2 defense. Take away the big plays and play downhill, crushing ball carriers and receivers.

All this is speculation of course, but for the first time in a long time, I don't know what we are going to see on the field. My hunch is the defense is becoming a hybrid defense that we will see in 3-4 and 4-3 sets, with more cover2 and mixed coverages. I think they will use defensive linemen and move them all over the defensive front, creating confusion and looking for favorable matchups, while Butler will be bringing blitzers from every conceivable angle and position on the field.

I think the plan is that they don't want opposing offenses to know what they are doing, and to constantly give them different looks. It also appears that they are going to be laying some serious lumber and causing turnovers once they get all the heavy hitters on the field and playing downhill.

I can't wait to see how all this talent is implemented into the defense and what changes are made to accommodate and take advantage of the strengths of the new players and a revamped defense.

RunNGun
05-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Great post. I agree completely. Our defense should never be predictable with all the different looks we can give opposing offenses. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about a Steelers defense.