PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Decline Fifth-year Option On LB Jarvis Jones

polamalubeast
05-02-2016, 06:49 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/report-steelers-decline-fifth-year-option-lb-jarvis-jones/

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 07:16 PM
In other news: The earth did not crash into the sun.

ALLD
05-02-2016, 07:17 PM
He will probably get picked up by a rival and sign for less.

st33lersguy
05-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Good

tube517
05-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Tennessee or Arizona should be calling in 2017

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm just glad that Jarvis Jones will remain a Steeler for at least one more year.

having already lost Antwon Blake this off-season, we couldn't afford to also lose JJ until Steelers Universe is able to find another whipping boy...

lipps83
05-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Good.

Mojouw
05-02-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm just glad that Jarvis Jones will remain a Steeler for at least one more year.

having already lost Antwon Blake this off-season, we couldn't afford to also lose JJ until Steelers Universe is able to find another whipping boy...

Clearly it is Artie Burns. He cost us Noah Spence, a 2017 first round pick, and a CB!

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 08:27 PM

I'm sure if he left they'd just bring back Dri Archer or something ...

Texasteel
05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
If Jones has a lights out season this year I will be so pissed. Not at the team, at Jones.

steelerkitty
05-02-2016, 10:28 PM
If Jones has a lights out season this year I will be so pissed. Not at the team, at Jones.

He should have been cut last year. To even have him make the team is a disgrace. He is too weak, and gets run over on running plays. He is worthless.

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 11:07 PM
He should have been cut last year. To even have him make the team is a disgrace. He is too weak, and gets run over on running plays. He is worthless.

Well, his entire salary on his rookie contract is guaranteed, so we don't even gain any benefit from cutting him. Might as well see if he develops into anything, although odds are he just sits around sucking it up again.

The dangerous thing is that any OLB with significant playing time should walk into about 3 or 4 sacks, and that can double in any given year just by blind luck. (see: Worilds, Jason) So if that happens, it'll leave us chewing over whether to make an all-time stupid contract offer or use the franchise tag, and in either case, you know some dogs are getting kicked.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 01:18 AM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

You figure, Jones has monster year and prices himself out of Steelers market or stinks and Steelers dont want him. Needs avg year to return

Doesn't mean Steelers will part ways with Jarvis Jones following 2016. But options are now his, not the Steelers, which could be good or bad

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5E serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

teegre
05-03-2016, 06:38 AM
BB's window is closing. Ergo, I'll gladly take a monster year from Jones (11 sacks, 16 pressures) and then see him leave in free agency, because that monster year would improve our chances for winning #7.

Texasteel
05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Don't get me wrong. I hope Jones does have a great year, I've just gotten suspicious of players that wait till they are playing for a new contract to start playing well. Seems like after they get that contract they slip back into old habits. I have no problem with a player getting all he can, but I don't like a player that plays for the money, and just the money. I think it's an insult to his team, his teammates, and the fans that are the reason he is make all that money.

IMO, Jones has be underachieving, and that does piss me off some.

AtlantaDan
05-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Not that it is much consolation, but Jones was not the only botched first round pick in the 2013 based on this article on the numerous fifth year options that have been declined

According to NFL.com the fifth year option was not exercised on 14 of the 32 first round picks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659379/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2013-firstround-picks

The 2013 draft is looking more and more like a giant bust

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fifth-year-options-declined--mingo--warmack--ej-manuel--patterson-190443294.html

steelreserve
05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
BB's window is closing. Ergo, I'll gladly take a monster year from Jones (11 sacks, 16 pressures) and then see him leave in free agency, because that monster year would improve our chances for winning #7.

Yeah, but if he does that, it probably won't be a monster year, just racking up numbers that make him look better than he is, despite not actually causing much pressure or doing anything to help us win. Dong sacks have been mentioned. This is Jones' year to shine in that department.

Rotorhead
05-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Well, we can hope his replacement is a veteran, drafting his replacement next year and the loss of JH means we have nobody on that side . . . but I wont worry about it until next season rolls around, too much to think about for this season.

polamalubeast
05-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Yeah, but if he does that, it probably won't be a monster year, just racking up numbers that make him look better than he is, despite not actually causing much pressure or doing anything to help us win. Dong sacks have been mentioned. This is Jones' year to shine in that department.

Dong sacks like Jason Worilds in 2013?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983697-breaking-down-jason-worilds-production-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers-in-2013

steelreserve
05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Dong sacks like Jason Worilds in 2013?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983697-breaking-down-jason-worilds-production-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers-in-2013

That's the best breakdown of dong sacks I think I've ever seen.

tube517
05-03-2016, 11:19 AM
J.Jones will be 28 next year. Not getting any younger either.

Not that I want him back but I didn't realize he was already that old.

BigNastyDefense
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Not shocked.

Classic case of college production versus ability to translate to the NFL.

JJ lead CFB in sacks his last season at Georgia, and the Steelers hoped that would translate to the NFL. Most people were excited for this pick, including me, because of that.

It didn't work out. Maybe he has a decent year this year, maybe he doesn't. No matter what, hopefully he gets a ring.

Edman
05-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Not shocked.

Classic case of college production versus ability to translate to the NFL.

JJ lead CFB in sacks his last season at Georgia, and the Steelers hoped that would translate to the NFL. Most people were excited for this pick, including me, because of that.

It didn't work out. Maybe he has a decent year this year, maybe he doesn't. No matter what, hopefully he gets a ring.

No, Jarvis Jones panned out, it just didn't pan out in regards to his draft status. We drafted expected a superstar and we just got marginal.

Can't win them all.

Dude actually made some plays for us last year.

Steeldude
05-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Hopefully his playing time is greatly reduced too.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 01:30 PM

seeing how JJ has only 5 career sacks his first three seasons that does seem rather unlikely. however...

http://images.memes.com/meme/485695

teegre
05-03-2016, 01:58 PM
seeing how JJ has only 5 career sacks his first three seasons that does seem rather unlikely. however...

http://images.memes.com/meme/485695

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=Ea2HS8NL4s4

teegre
05-03-2016, 02:08 PM

If I were stuck on a deserted island, I'd gladly take a picture of Kate Upton.

No, it's not the real thing, but it's better than looking at coconuts.

Devilsdancefloor
05-03-2016, 06:29 PM
f this doesnt light a fire under his ass nothing will PROVES us wrong JJ or you can go play for jacksonville

Mojouw
05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
I don't think Jones isn't working hard enough. I think he simply isn't talented enough to play off the edge in the NFL. There is a difference. Not every non-producing NFL player is lazy. Jones is rarely out of position, he seems to read and diagnose well, he knows the defense, etc. I see a player who puts in the work, but simply is not talented enough to beat NFL caliber tackles off the edge 1 on 1.

SteelMember
05-05-2016, 12:11 PM
He dominated and got most his sacks in college with his speed. As we know, everyone in the NFL has speed. So, that's not the game changer it was for him. He still tries to use it though. OT's get hands on him and simply push him 5 yards past the QB. The fact that he pretty much has no counter move isn't helping anyone either. That being said, he'll go for 5-8 sacks this year and parlay that into a big FA contract with another team. Then he'll go back to sleep and collect his checks.

Shoes
05-05-2016, 01:43 PM
I don't think Jones isn't working hard enough. I think he simply isn't talented enough to play off the edge in the NFL. There is a difference. Not every non-producing NFL player is lazy. Jones is rarely out of position, he seems to read and diagnose well, he knows the defense, etc. I see a player who puts in the work, but simply is not talented enough to beat NFL caliber tackles off the edge 1 on 1.

Agreed, I think Jones has always worked hard, he just doesn't have the tools to finish the job.

Count Steeler
05-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I'd trade him for a mid to late round pick.

hawaiiansteeler
05-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Players with most to prove for all 32 NFL teams

ESPN.com

From rebounding after a season-ending injury to getting in better shape, there are players on every team who face pivotal 2016 seasons. NFL Nation reporters take a look at one player from the teams they cover who has the most to prove.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pass-rusher Jarvis Jones

Jones enters a contract year and needs a productive 2016 campaign to show he belongs in the fold long term. The Steelers didn't pick up Jones' fifth-year option after the former first-round pick recorded five sacks in three years. Jones has shown glimpses of playmaking, but there's no ignoring the sack totals. That James Harrison still gets outside linebacker snaps at age 38 is probably not the best sign for Jones, who needs to separate himself. Wide receiver Markus Wheaton is also a candidate here. With Martavis Bryant out, there's an opening for the No. 2 receiver job. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160523/nfl-players-most-prove-all-32-teams-free-agency-draft-picks-pivotal-season-jimmy-graham-eddie-lacy

katmandu
05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Agreed, I think Jones has always worked hard, he just doesn't have the tools to finish the job.He simply does not have the strength to produce highly on the NFL level.

He (and all the other Steelers) need to follow Debo's workout regime !

Born2Steel
05-24-2016, 10:06 AM
How do the Steelers make Jones into a comp pick? That's the only way I can see of redeeming that 1st round waste.