PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Steelers a bit too quick to praise draft pick Burns

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Ron Cook: Steelers a bit too quick to praise draft pick Burns

April 29, 2016
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

OK, so you have your cornerback? Are you happy? Finally?

Pardon me if I’m going to withhold my applause until I see if Artie Burns actually can, you know, play.

Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin stopped well short of making Burns, a cornerback from Miami, sound like the next Darrelle Revis Thursday night, but they still gushed. That’s what they do when they make a guy a Steelers No. 1 draft choice. You heard them do it with Bud Dupree last year and Ryan Shazier the year before and Jarvis Jones the year before that …

“It’s really just a great honor to have this kid join our team,” Colbert said of Jones.

How has that worked out so far?

That isn’t to say Colbert and Tomlin are wrong very often with their first-round pick. Ziggy Hood? OK. Rashard Mendenhall? Maybe, but he also had his moments. Jones? Still just a bit too soon to tell.

It also isn’t to say Burns can’t improve the Steelers defense, the secondary in particular. The team came within one win of the AFC championship game last season despite ranking 30th in pass defense. Certainly, it had a glaring need — Colbert prefers the word “want” — at cornerback with only veterans Will Gay and Ross Cockrell and unproven kids Senquez Golson and Doran Grant on the roster. Burns — the first cornerback taken No. 1 by the Steelers since Chad Scott in 1997 — might step right in and start the first game at Washington. Maybe he will be the guy to push the defense and the team over the top and help it reach another Super Bowl.

Or maybe not.

At this point, I’m thinking Burns is more of a project than an immediate starter.

“There’s a lot of growth potential,” Tomlin said. “It’s a good piece of clay to work with and mold.”

Colbert talked about Burns being a natural in bump-and-run coverage, “as good as any corner in this draft.” He also raved about Burns’ character. Burns’ mother died during the football season last fall and he took responsibility for his two younger siblings.

He also has a son and, according to Colbert, is in a relationship with the mother.

“He’s going to take care of his family first and foremost,” Colbert said. “I give the kid a lot of credit.”

Kid is an accurate description.

Burns doesn’t turn 21 until Sunday.

“There’s tons of upside,” Colbert said.

It all sounded good, as it always does on draft day. I just hope the Steelers maintained the integrity of their draft board in taking Burns instead of reaching for a position of want. Four cornerbacks were taken ahead of Burns — Jalen Ramsey of Florida State, Eli Apple of Ohio State, Vernon Hargreaves III of Florida and William Jackson III of Houston.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/04/29/Ron-Cook-Steelers-a-bit-too-quick-to-praise-draft-pick-Burns/stories/201604290100

Mojouw
05-01-2016, 11:46 PM
So, take a CB bad. SO this year stinks.

Not take a CB also bad? So the past 2 years?

What does Cook want? :confused:

tube517
05-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Kook.

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2016, 12:11 AM
ive been trying to watch as much on this kid as i can. just got done with his game against Nebraska. not going to lie, not a good start to film study...he looked downright awful in so many different ways

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
So, take a CB bad. SO this year stinks.

Not take a CB also bad? So the past 2 years?

What does Cook want? :confused:

That if you're going to draft a CB, you at least take the best one.

I am super-happy that we finally addressed the position. But not so happy that we took the guy with BIG question marks over a more NFL-ready player in Alexander, or a trade down with the Broncos to take X. Howard who I have to say also seems more polished (and in hindsight would have let us get BOTH Hargrave and Billings for the DLine, as well as keep the OT we got in the 4th).

Mojouw
05-02-2016, 01:33 PM
ive been trying to watch as much on this kid as i can. just got done with his game against Nebraska. not going to lie, not a good start to film study...he looked downright awful in so many different ways

Any chance that in the near future you would be willing to post your collected thoughts? I would be interested to hear them and read about what you are seeing.

Mojouw
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
That if you're going to draft a CB, you at least take the best one.

I am super-happy that we finally addressed the position. But not so happy that we took the guy with BIG question marks over a more NFL-ready player in Alexander, or a trade down with the Broncos to take X. Howard who I have to say also seems more polished (and in hindsight would have let us get BOTH Hargrave and Billings for the DLine, as well as keep the OT we got in the 4th).

Ok. But most NFL teams feel that Alexander tops out at a really good 2nd or 3rd corner. Plus they already drafted Alexander last year in Golson. Have his older less physically gifted brother in William Gay on the roster and Burns allows them to stop spamming tall, fast, projectable CB in the 3-5th round for the next 3 years.

Do I know that Burns is going to work out? Nope. Do I see a version where he ends up as a better CB than Alexander? Yup.

As to the NFL ready stuff, I don't know. Jarvis Jones was NFL ready. Limas Sweed was NFL ready. James Harrison was not NFL ready. Marcus Gilbert was not NFL ready. Ike Taylor was not NFL ready. Timmons was not NFL Ready. FOr me, and this is just an opinion, give me the superior physical and mental talent and I will trust in my staff to get them ready to play in the NFL.

Who knows if Burns is that guy. Who knows if Lake is that coach.

Shoes
05-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Ron Cook is like a drive by fart.

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Ok. But most NFL teams feel that Alexander tops out at a really good 2nd or 3rd corner. Plus they already drafted Alexander last year in Golson. Have his older less physically gifted brother in William Gay on the roster and Burns allows them to stop spamming tall, fast, projectable CB in the 3-5th round for the next 3 years.

Do I know that Burns is going to work out? Nope. Do I see a version where he ends up as a better CB than Alexander? Yup.

As to the NFL ready stuff, I don't know. Jarvis Jones was NFL ready. Limas Sweed was NFL ready. James Harrison was not NFL ready. Marcus Gilbert was not NFL ready. Ike Taylor was not NFL ready. Timmons was not NFL Ready. FOr me, and this is just an opinion, give me the superior physical and mental talent and I will trust in my staff to get them ready to play in the NFL.

Good thoughts for sure. It's unknown how either Alexander or Burns winds up, but it does sound like Burns has the higher ceiling of the two. However, I do also think our secondary is not a star player or two away from being good enough to win a championship, just an average to above-average player or two, and Alexander was the more certain path there. I don't want to be farting around for 3 or 4 years waiting to see if Burns will ever get it, and then when he does he goes all Keenan Lewis on us. Or that he doesn't get it at all.

I know I was beating on the Xavien Howard drum more and more leading up to the draft, and given how things went, he may have been the best of both worlds - more NFL-ready than Burns at a lower cost, with a higher ceiling than Alexander. Burns and Apple were the two I was hesitant about for sure, because I do not have a lot of faith in our ability to coach up DBs. Harrison, Timmons, Gilbert ... they seemed to benefit from much more solid coaching than we have in place for Burns.

Well, in any case, nothing to do but hope for the best, so I hope he gets it and fast.

Mojouw
05-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Good thoughts for sure. It's unknown how either Alexander or Burns winds up, but it does sound like Burns has the higher ceiling of the two. However, I do also think our secondary is not a star player or two away from being good enough to win a championship, just an average to above-average player or two, and Alexander was the more certain path there. I don't want to be farting around for 3 or 4 years waiting to see if Burns will ever get it, and then when he does he goes all Keenan Lewis on us. Or that he doesn't get it at all.

I know I was beating on the Xavien Howard drum more and more leading up to the draft, and given how things went, he may have been the best of both worlds - more NFL-ready than Burns at a lower cost, with a higher ceiling than Alexander. Burns and Apple were the two I was hesitant about for sure, because I do not have a lot of faith in our ability to coach up DBs. Harrison, Timmons, Gilbert ... they seemed to benefit from much more solid coaching than we have in place for Burns.

Well, in any case, nothing to do but hope for the best, so I hope he gets it and fast.

And I can totally see that side of the discussion as well. I can not remember a Steelers draft in awhile where the choices were so stark and contrasting as those the franchise had at almost each of the top 4 picks this year. Fascinating to see how it turns out.

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2016, 02:41 PM

yeah sure. unfortunately im struggling to find games of him online. just nebraska and pittsburgh

steelreserve
05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
And I can totally see that side of the discussion as well. I can not remember a Steelers draft in awhile where the choices were so stark and contrasting as those the franchise had at almost each of the top 4 picks this year. Fascinating to see how it turns out.

All I know is that the process I and many others were following was "Oh come on, please please please please please pleasepleaseplease omg omg holyshit YESSSSSSS - wait, what the FUCK???"

And the last time that happened for me, the player was Jason Worilds. So going by gut feeling alone, it's a pretty rare and not really a good sensation. Let alone for it to happen with not one but three or four other "ideal" players on the board, and to happen again in the second round. This draft was really weird.

tube517
05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Ron Kook is like a drive by hippo fart.

Too easy. :chuckle: :hippo:

fansince'76
05-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Ron Cook is like a drive by fart.

Too easy. :chuckle: :hippo:

Kook was an international banker in a past life. :chuckle:

teegre
05-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Artie Burns improved every year at Miami.

He is not as polished as guys that have played the position for longer (he's a hurdler), because he is still learning... and, he is indeed learning (shown improvement).

Physical tools do not necessarily translate into being a good football player (e.g. James Jett sucked), but you also cannot teach height, speed, good hands (he can actually intercept he ball). The fact that Burns is learning/improving is a very good sign... and a reason to be optimistic.

Steelerette
05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
I buy the idea that Burns has a higher ceiling and with development even has a chance to be he best CB of the class. And in normal times I'm happy with that scenario. But with Ben getting older, this is the last year we can do that, and probably shouldn't have done it this year. We need to gear up for a few title runs, draft players who are ready to help now, and even get ourselves into end-of-decade cap hell if necessary. And we'll rise out of cap hell by developing young talent after Ben hangs 'em up.

That being said, with Golson, Grant, Burns, and Davis in the fold, it's do or die time for Carnell Lake.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Artie Burns, CB, Miami

The Steelers took Burns because they were so desperate at cornerback. Burns is a quality prospect, but most teams had him firmly in the second round. The 6-foot, 193-pounder has some coverage skills but he needs development. Pittsburgh reached at a position of need, but there were better players available at other positions that could have used an upgrade like nose tackle. Kenny Clark, Austin Johnson, A'Shawn Robinson, and Jarran Reed are all better prospects than Burns. They were all available as well. In the long run it could work out for the Steelers if they do a good job of developing Burns, but Pittsburgh definitely reached in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016winnerslosers.php#A7O2fykoQfeZM7BA.99

teegre
05-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Austin Johnson, A'Shawn Robinson, and Jarran Reed

So... WalterFootball suggest that Steelers should have drafted a different second-round player as opposed to the second-round player who the Steelers actually drafted. :huh:

Really. All three of those guys went way, way after pick #25. It isn't like they were the next three picks. One could argue that Butler or Clark did indeed go right afterwards, but who's to say that Butler and Clark are actually better than those three... or, more importantly, better than Burns

This is exactly the type of subjectivity that has been discussed about grades.

Mocker has Player X as #40 on his Mocker's draft; if Player X goes at #30, then Mocker sees it as a bad pick.

Whereas. Biff McMock has Player X as #20 on Biff McMock's draft; if Player X goes at #30, then Biff McMock sees it as a good pick.

HAWAII:
That's not directed at you; I'm just using it as an example of how draft grades are completely subjective... and biased.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 05:42 PM
So... WalterFootball suggest that Steelers should have drafted a different second-round player as opposed to the second-round player who the Steelers actually drafted. :huh:

Really. All three of those guys went way, way after pick #25. It isn't like they were the next three picks. One could argue that Butler or Clark did indeed go right afterwards, but who's to say that Butler and Clark are actually better than those three... or, more importantly, better than Burns.

This is exactly the type of subjectivity that has been discussed about grades.

Mocker has Player X as #40 on his Mocker's draft; if Player X goes at #30, then Mocker sees it as a bad pick.

Whereas. Biff McMock has Player X as #20 on Biff McMock's draft; if Player X goes at #30, then Biff McMock sees it as a good pick.

HAWAII:
That's not directed at you; I'm just using it as an example of how draft grades are completely subjective... and biased.

no worries brother, I don't take these types of comments personally.

a lot of things that I post aren't necessarily because I agree with them or because they support my argument, I post them to promote discussion and to offer varying points of view.

I actually like the Burns pick, I think we may all need to be patient with him but over time I think he has a very high chance of developing into a good #1 CB...

86WARD
05-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Great! That's not encouraging. Will you post an overall review of your film studies?

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 08:52 PM

that was the negative in a lot of the scouting reports I read before the draft on Artie Burns, that he had a lot of bad tape out there...

Psycho Ward 86
05-03-2016, 09:53 PM
that was the negative in a lot of the scouting reports I read before the draft on Artie Burns, that he had a lot of bad tape out there...

do you know any websites to watch isolated tape on a player by any chance? i want to take a closer look

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2016, 11:00 PM
do you know any websites to watch isolated tape on a player by any chance? i want to take a closer look

the fact that you've watched tape on artie burns just for the nebraska and pittsburgh games makes me suspect you use the same website that I do:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/

Psycho Ward 86
05-03-2016, 11:21 PM
the fact that you've watched tape on artie burns just for the nebraska and pittsburgh games makes me suspect you use the same website that I do:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/

yup...and youtube which ends up being about the same thing. and theres so much action you can miss with the camera movement on these clips...ugh

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2016, 01:15 PM
yup...and youtube which ends up being about the same thing. and theres so much action you can miss with the camera movement on these clips...ugh

I find it nearly impossible to use youtube for player evaluations, I have gotten to the point where I now just use youtube clips for entertainment purposes only...

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Why CB Artie Burns wasn't the right pick for the Steelers in the first round of the NFL Draft

By Jack Heathcote on May 4, 2016

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nipj_1uceoT8tecYPbDAvTn6Vuc=/0x0:4332x2888/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49470669/usa-today-8880619.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers hadn't drafted a cornerback in the first round of the NFL Draft since 1997. That's a fact that's making the rounds at the moment. Pittsburgh rectified this by taking Artie Burns from Miami with the 25th overall pick. Many fans do not seem to like this pick; however, here on Behind the Steel Curtain, there has been a surprising amount of praise for this pick.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Burns. The guy's physicality is great to watch. As many have said, Burns has a little bit of a sad story attached to him too - I won't go into that here, but look it up. This means he has a real drive to succeed, and I genuinely hope he proves how good he really is. The problem for me is that I just don't think he was the right pick for Pittsburgh.

Burns has some attributes which mean he will not fit in the Steelers' current scheme. First, his ability to backpedal in off-man coverage is questionable. He doesn't move his hips to turn, which means NFL level receivers are not going to find it hard to get past him. In college, he used his size to grab receivers back which could lead to penalties in the pros.

His reactions and footwork are also issues when you watch closely. He's fast, he can get at to the right place at the right time, but he does't seem to always be mentally focused enough to get to the spot when he should. He's going to need a lot more focus and attention to detail if he's going to catch the likes of AJ Green.

Further to that, if he does get beat, he also has the awful habit of not recovering well. He doesn't get back on his feet or drop his shoulder for tackles, all while grabbing the receiver's jersey, which again is not going to cut it now that he's playing in the AFC North.

Finally, I don't think he is a good schematic fit for Pittsburgh at all. Pittsburgh plays A LOT of zone coverage. In college, Burns barely played zone coverage, Miami is all about man coverage - will he make the transition if he barely played zone at college? Time will tell, but if he's going to play from day one, time is not something Burns and the Steelers have.

Altogether, I'm still a little unclear as to why Burns went so high in the draft - most teams had him somewhere in the 3rd round. Now, again, don't get me wrong, I like Burns, I want him to do well. He just doesn't seem like the player Pittsburgh should have went for with the No. 25 pick. Yes, he is a player at a position of need, but if he was thought of to go in a later round, why use a first round pick? I would have preferred to get someone like Vernon Butler, and pick up a cornerback later. Not because defensive tackle is needed more than cornerback, but because the talent was there, and cornerbacks of Burns' caliber would still be available later on. Either way,I know one thing - I hope Artie Burns proves me wrong.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/4/11569812/why-cb-artie-burns-wasnt-the-right-pick-for-the-steelers-in-the-first

pczach
05-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Why are there so many people that don't think the scheme can be adjusted to accommodate the talent on the roster?

Ike Taylor was often playing press coverage at times when the rest of the team was playing zone or off-man coverage in the same scheme.

This isn't reinventing the light bulb here.

He may not pan out, but it won't be because he didn't fit the scheme. Find a way to let him do what he does best.

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Why are there so many people that don't think the scheme can be adjusted to accommodate the talent on the roster?

Ike Taylor was often playing press coverage at times when the rest of the team was playing zone or off-man coverage in the same scheme.

This isn't reinventing the light bulb here.

He may not pan out, but it won't be because he didn't fit the scheme. Find a way to let him do what he does best.

that may be true, but he still had to be at zone, which he was. and the expectations are a lot lower when you're a 4th round pick switching from RB to CB.

youre also assuming his excellence in man coverage is a sure thing in the NFL, which its not. watch this kid play against Nebraska. he has the hips of a rusted robot. you see on film and at his combine workouts

pczach
05-04-2016, 05:33 PM
that may be true, but he still had to be at zone, which he was. and the expectations are a lot lower when you're a 4th round pick switching from RB to CB.

youre also assuming his excellence in man coverage is a sure thing in the NFL, which its not. watch this kid play against Nebraska. he has the hips of a rusted robot. you see on film and at his combine workouts

I'm not saying he's a sure thing. Not even close. I'm simply stating that his most comfortable coverage is press coverage. If he shows that he is able to do that at the NFL level, find a way to get him into press coverage to get him on the field. But only if he earns his way on the field because he's good enough.

dislocatedday
05-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I have no idea how Artie Burns will turn out for the Steelers, and I am hoping he goes on to become the best CB the team has had since Ike Taylor. For amusement I tried to find some original college scouting reports on Ike Taylor for comparison, and I found this amusing article by Mark Madden (who I, and probably many others, think is a loudmouthed tool as is). Madden is merciless in his assessment of the Steelers 4th round pick of Ike in the 2003 draft, and Ike ended up proving him very wrong and then some. Madden also liked the pick of Alonzo Jackson in the 2nd round, and that guy was a total football bust.

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20030430madden0430p1.asp

Artie seems to have physical traits similar to Ike, and he has more CB experience coming out of college and better hands than Ike based on what I see.

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2016, 06:36 PM
ive never seen a 1st round corner with hips this stiff. if im an OC, i put my quickest slot corner on him every single play. i guarantee you Edelman/Amendola are going to break his ankles when we play New England. i recall the patriots specifically lining up Edelman outside (which they hardly ever do) across from Antwon Blake specifically to exploit his horrible feet

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2016, 12:13 AM
LET ARTIE BE ARTIE

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

http://a2.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0503%2Fr79866_1296x729_16% 2D9.jpg&w=570

There’s no guarantee Burns will be ready to start Week 1, but watching Burns conjures memories of Ike Taylor manning one side of the field as a cover corner.

That’s defensive backs coach Carnell Lake’s comparison, not mine. And it makes sense. Burns, the 25th overall pick out of Miami, is a pure bump-and-run corner, just like Taylor, who could match up against the defense’s best receiver each week.

The Steelers simply haven’t had that in a while, forced to run zone coverages with corners playing "off" coverage, or a good 8 to 10 yards in front of the receiver.

“If need be, we’ll play him like that,” Lake said. “Hopefully we can develop Artie’s tools in other areas, as well.”

Burns can learn the nuances of Pittsburgh’s zone, but Burns’ defensive coordinator at Miami, Mark D’Onofrio, knows where Burns best fits in a defense.

In press coverage.

“Even if we were playing zone, three deep, we usually pressed [Burns] into the boundary,” D’Onofrio said. “He was always our boundary corner. We wanted to take care of that with him.”

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/18703/steelers-came-in-like-a-wrecking-ball-to-rebuild-defense

Mojouw
05-05-2016, 10:24 AM
ive never seen a 1st round corner with hips this stiff. if im an OC, i put my quickest slot corner on him every single play. i guarantee you Edelman/Amendola are going to break his ankles when we play New England. i recall the patriots specifically lining up Edelman outside (which they hardly ever do) across from Antwon Blake specifically to exploit his horrible feet

And the Steelers unwillingness or inability to make a counter-adjustment is and always has been frustrating and downright stupid. Move Golson onto the quick little twitchy guy and get Burns on the big physical guy.

Hopefully Butler doesn't get as stiff in his thinking as Burns' hips are.

NCSteeler
05-05-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm not even reading this. We want an impact player at 25? I don't know if Burns will be Decastro or Jarvis but I'm willing to wait and see

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Reynolds’ Steelers Spin: 2016 NFL Draft

BY MICHAEL K. REYNOLDS MAY 4, 2016

Here’s a player-by-player analysis:

1 . Artie Burns, CB, Miami

Complaints about the Artie Burns pick? Heck, Steelers fans should be partying like it’s 1999. First of all, fireworks should go off just on the news the front office finally drafted a cornerback in the first round. But more importantly, Artie can bang at the line. For all of us Steelers fans who were tormented by former Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau’s insistence on having the corners play twelve yards off receivers even on 3rd and 2 situations this is the best news in a decade. Who cares if Burns doesn’t have the perfect hip swivel? Or gets a little lost in the zone? We’re going to start slapping around opponents’ skinny, mouthy receivers so we can stop making journeymen quarterbacks look like All Pros. Was William Jackson III a great option as well? Absolutely, but it’s moot because he wasn’t available. And you don’t have to be a JFK and UFO conspiracist to know the Cincinnati Bengals got extra joy taking Jackson one pick prior to the Steelers. OF COURSE they are cognizant of their arch-rival’s needs and if they can pick a player high on their board while sticking it to the Steelers, they surely will. The same was the case when they chose Andrew Billings who very nearly could have been the Steelers fourth consecutive defensive player selected. But enough about Jackson. Burns is the Steelers man and should be warmly welcomed. The last time the Steelers took a cornerback in the draft who was also a star track hurdler was a gentleman by the name of Rod Woodson. If the Steelers can get half the value of that pick they’ll be set at one corner for years.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05/reynolds-steelers-spin-2016-nfl-draft/

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2016, 05:11 PM
ESPN calls Steelers CB Artie Burns a potential draft bust

Bryan DeArdo - May 5

Artie Burns couldn't escape ESPN's list of potential 2016 draft busts.

This week, ESPN's Steve Palazzolo wrote an article naming 10 draft picks that might turn out to be busts, and said that the Steelers could have made a mistake with it's No.1 pick.

"On paper, Burns does not look like a great scheme fit for the Steelers," Palazzolo wrote. "He's a long, press-man corner, but Pittsburgh played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year. Burns is not great when playing off coverage, and he's not smooth when closing on underneath passes. Unless a scheme change is in order, he doesn't fit in the Steelers' defense.

"If Burns plays more man coverage, he has a chance to be successful even though he's often too physical at times -- his nine penalties ranked third in the nation in 2015. Also concerning is a +2.8 coverage grade than ranked 42nd in the class, lower than you'd like to see for a first-round corner."

Many fans were surprised when they heard Burns name called with the Pittsburgh's 25th pick in the draft. Slated to draft Houston cornerback William Jackson III in many mock drafts, Cincinnati snatched Jackson one spot before the Steelers were on the clock. With four cornerbacks already selected, Pittsburgh chose who they thought was the best available corner in Burns, who led the ACC with six interceptions in 2015.

While he's not a finished product, Burns doesn't necessarily have to be heading into the 2016 season. The team already has William Gay and Ross Cockrell, along with Senquez Golson, last year's second round pick, who will vie for a starting position this season. With these three already in place, Burns will have time to learn Pittsburgh's schemes along with improving his own personal techniques. While the team will certainly expect Burns to produce this season, he won't have to be the hero, something that should ease his mind as he looks to evolve into a quality NFL cornerback.

And while Palazzolo's criticism of Burns' converge in zone converge might be accurate, Steelers' secondary coach Carnell Lake will have more than enough time to work with his young defensive back about the intricacies of zone coverage. Twice in his career, Lake had to make the transition from safety to corner to help Pittsburgh mask injuries in the secondary, and will surely use that experience to help Burns learn how to master whatever coverage schemes the Steelers ask him to execute.

Athletically, Burns can do it all. He's fast, athletic, and stronger than his 6'0, 193-pound frame. He's also a fighter and a playmaker, skills that should help him make an immediate impact next season, while silencing Palazzolo and other analysts that may doubt him in the process.

http://pit.247sports.com/ContentGallery/check-out-the-steelers-highlights-from-day-1-of-rookie-minicamp-45214703

fansince'76
05-06-2016, 05:36 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah, Burns and all the other 252 picks in the draft are potential busts at this point. :coffee:

And...ESPN? Really? The same network that was responsible for the little nugget of wisdom below? Please...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9764QIRGKA

Psycho Ward 86
05-06-2016, 05:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah, Burns and all the other 252 picks in the draft are potential busts at this point. :coffee:

And...ESPN? Really? The same network that was responsible for the little nugget of wisdom below? Please...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9764QIRGKA

Bayless is paid to say this crap to make people want to tune in. Does this really still need to be said?

Burns being a boom or bust guy has been a pretty universally accepted thing...

fansince'76
05-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Bayless is paid to say this crap to make people want to tune in. Does this really still need to be said?

LOL - I haven't watched that network since 2005, outside of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

I also fail to see how uber-retarded ramblings like "ZOMG! Manziel's gonna be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron!" would make people want to tune in.

Just framing the general credibility level of the source of the "Burns is one of the players most likely to be a bust in 2016" proclamation, that's all...

Psycho Ward 86
05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
LOL - I haven't watched that network since 2005, outside of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

I also fail to see how uber-retarded ramblings like "ZOMG! Manziel's gonna be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron!" would make people want to tune in.

Just framing the general credibility level of the source of the "Burns is one of the players most likely to be a bust in 2016" proclamation, that's all...

Here's what you missed :lol: :http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/04/26/the-top-15-most-ridiculous-skip-bayless-tweets-of-all-time/

fansince'76
05-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Here's what you missed :lol: :http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/04/26/the-top-15-most-ridiculous-skip-bayless-tweets-of-all-time/

Wow. Just...wow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

st33lersguy
05-06-2016, 06:54 PM

What a moron

pczach
05-07-2016, 03:31 AM

Bryan DeArdo - May 5

Artie Burns couldn't escape ESPN's list of potential 2016 draft busts.

This week, ESPN's Steve Palazzolo wrote an article naming 10 draft picks that might turn out to be busts, and said that the Steelers could have made a mistake with it's No.1 pick.

"On paper, Burns does not look like a great scheme fit for the Steelers," Palazzolo wrote. "He's a long, press-man corner, but Pittsburgh played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year. Burns is not great when playing off coverage, and he's not smooth when closing on underneath passes. Unless a scheme change is in order, he doesn't fit in the Steelers' defense.

"If Burns plays more man coverage, he has a chance to be successful even though he's often too physical at times -- his nine penalties ranked third in the nation in 2015. Also concerning is a +2.8 coverage grade than ranked 42nd in the class, lower than you'd like to see for a first-round corner."

Many fans were surprised when they heard Burns name called with the Pittsburgh's 25th pick in the draft. Slated to draft Houston cornerback William Jackson III in many mock drafts, Cincinnati snatched Jackson one spot before the Steelers were on the clock. With four cornerbacks already selected, Pittsburgh chose who they thought was the best available corner in Burns, who led the ACC with six interceptions in 2015.

While he's not a finished product, Burns doesn't necessarily have to be heading into the 2016 season. The team already has William Gay and Ross Cockrell, along with Senquez Golson, last year's second round pick, who will vie for a starting position this season. With these three already in place, Burns will have time to learn Pittsburgh's schemes along with improving his own personal techniques. While the team will certainly expect Burns to produce this season, he won't have to be the hero, something that should ease his mind as he looks to evolve into a quality NFL cornerback.

And while Palazzolo's criticism of Burns' converge in zone converge might be accurate, Steelers' secondary coach Carnell Lake will have more than enough time to work with his young defensive back about the intricacies of zone coverage. Twice in his career, Lake had to make the transition from safety to corner to help Pittsburgh mask injuries in the secondary, and will surely use that experience to help Burns learn how to master whatever coverage schemes the Steelers ask him to execute.

Athletically, Burns can do it all. He's fast, athletic, and stronger than his 6'0, 193-pound frame. He's also a fighter and a playmaker, skills that should help him make an immediate impact next season, while silencing Palazzolo and other analysts that may doubt him in the process.

http://pit.247sports.com/ContentGallery/check-out-the-steelers-highlights-from-day-1-of-rookie-minicamp-45214703

Well....at least it's not just Steelers fans calling him a bust already. :mob:

:flap:

Mojouw
05-07-2016, 10:54 AM
I've seen this argument many places. Anyone point out to these various writers that the Steelers played a ton of zone in attempt to protect their garbage secondary from exposure? Additionally, it didn't work. Their garbage secondary got exposed. Might be that no one is really tied to trotting the same scheme out in 2016. Just a thought.

But that seems to be the biggest concern - that Burns is not a zone corner. So if the Steelers were a press cover team, what would the grade be? A for amazing? B for big on potential? C for crappy?

Again, not sure that I really like the Burns pick. Won't know until he plays, but these "analysis" pieces are not written by a bunch of deep thinkers.

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2016, 01:31 PM
I've seen this argument many places. Anyone point out to these various writers that the Steelers played a ton of zone in attempt to protect their garbage secondary from exposure? Additionally, it didn't work. Their garbage secondary got exposed. Might be that no one is really tied to trotting the same scheme out in 2016. Just a thought.

But that seems to be the biggest concern - that Burns is not a zone corner. So if the Steelers were a press cover team, what would the grade be? A for amazing? B for big on potential? C for crappy?

Again, not sure that I really like the Burns pick. Won't know until he plays, but these "analysis" pieces are not written by a bunch of deep thinkers.

I just don't see how this pick makes sense in any scenario other than:

A) the coaches think Artie could excel in zone coverage and keep our coverages from a schematic standpoint

or

B) the coaches think Golson, being arguably the most cerebral and athletic (outside of Burns) corner on the roster could excel in man coverage despite not playing it much in college as we switch to more man coverage

I'm going to guess scenario B.

By all means, William Gay can play any coverage, but he's at his best in zone. Cockrell seems a little better in zone to me, would be more confident in his man coverage skills if he could learn to tackle better and i think he'll get better there. Senquez Golson played about as much man coverage in college as Artie Burns played zone...which is pretty close to none. Our 2 most recent picks at cornerback are literally polar opposites in terms of size and schematic fit. What the hell is going on there? It really does feel like we're throwing darts based on our general lack of success in developing DB's sometimes. I just havent seen a reason to really trust the coaches' handling of the 2ndary since 2011.

Mojouw
05-07-2016, 02:00 PM
I just don't see how this pick makes sense in any scenario other than:

A) the coaches think Artie could excel in zone coverage and keep our coverages from a schematic standpoint

or

B) the coaches think Golson, being arguably the most cerebral and athletic (outside of Burns) corner on the roster could excel in man coverage despite not playing it much in college as we switch to more man coverage

I'm going to guess scenario B.

By all means, William Gay can play any coverage, but he's at his best in zone. Cockrell seems a little better in zone to me, would be more confident in his man coverage skills if he could learn to tackle better and i think he'll get better there. Senquez Golson played about as much man coverage in college as Artie Burns played zone...which is pretty close to none. Our 2 most recent picks at cornerback are literally polar opposites in terms of size and schematic fit. What the hell is going on there? It really does feel like we're throwing darts based on our general lack of success in developing DB's sometimes. I just havent seen a reason to really trust the coaches' handling of the 2ndary since 2011.

Basically, I kind of agree but not really with your scenarios. If Burns is good at zone, then it is the end of the conversation. If he is not capable of zone at first, then I see them using him as a specific "tool".

They are likely going to do the same thing they did early in Ike's career. Find the size speed mismatch for anyone else (big, tallish, fast, etc) and stick Burns on him. Then Gay, Cockrell, Golson, etc can play zone concepts around it. Burns in this scenario becomes a true "boundary" corner. Using man cover skills to pin his man against the sideline and either take him out of the play or make a play on the ball.

What do I know what they are really going to do, but I think that viewing a secondary as solely a "man" or "zone" unit is on its way out in the NFL. At least it is for the Steelers. Everything they have done with the defense in the last 2-3 off-season cycles has almost stood on top of a table and screamed "WE WILL BE FLEXIBLE IN OUR SCHEMES!". I think, or at least hope that is what is going on because if not - then it doesn't make sense.

Got a big TE that can destroy match-ups down the seams? Say hello to Davis or Feeney or Shazier
Got a RB that you like to sneak out on 3rd downs? Hi again, Mr's. Shazier, Davis, and Feeney.
Got a big tall WR that you like to send on go routes? Hi, my name is Artie Burns I will be your shadow this afternoon.
Got a couple of jitter-buggy quick slot WR's? Hi. Meet Golson and Gay - we will be attempting to bait your QB in to throwing your way all afternoon.
Got a mediocre WR? Well, look his way - that's where Cockerell will be.

I really have no idea what they are thinking - and the above makes no mention of the numerous and "odd" combinations they could do with their front 7. Maybe it is all a series of incremental steps to a "Tampa 2"? I mean the back 4 and the LBs seem to be almost there. Not sure about upfront - maybe one DT away?

Regardless, I see a trend where they simply don't want to be caught having the wrong personnel to try and do something. Hopefully we no longer have to watch a slower player try to carry a big fast TE down the seam. Over and Over again.

hawaiiansteeler
05-09-2016, 12:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMGhpXM9vQ