PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Steelers, Sean Davis!

polamalubeast
04-29-2016, 08:25 PM

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Are the Pittsburgh Steelers ready for another hybrid DB from Maryland?

Jim Wexell
03/28/2016

http://img.scout.com/sites/default/files/2016/03/29/03-29-16sdavis.jpg?w=620&h=413&fit=max

The Steelers have a need for Sean Davis in their defensive backfield.

Chad Scott was the last cornerback the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted in the first round. He came out of Maryland in 1997 with experience at safety as well.

Anyone ready for another corner-safety out of Maryland?

Not that Sean Davis will be drafted in the first round.

Nor will Davis play cornerback. He played enough of that last season after the 6-1, 201-pounder moved outside late in his junior season to help his team because of injuries.

No, Davis is a safety. And proud of it.

"But I'm versatile," he said while selling his wares at the NFL Combine. "I have the quickness and speed to play corner and the size and strength to play safety."

Davis can run, as his 4.46 Combine 40 attests. But can he provide a tackling presence in the middle of the field as a safety?

"Oh, yeah," he said with a wicked smile. "Coming downhill? Yeah. Yeah. That's what I do."

Davis was the proverbial tackling machine at Maryland. In his three seasons as a starter he made 306 tackles (including an astounding 213 solos). Last year as a cornerback Davis forced five fumbles to go along with his three interceptions.

"I think it's just the will to hit," he said. "I like imposing my will on people. I'm not the biggest guy but I feel I am one of the strongest guys out there."

For those who trust analytics, Davis is a dream come true. He bettered all of Gil Brandt's target numbers at safety, except the 60-yard shuttle. Brandt, through historical research of Combine numbers, wants an 11.2 in the long shuttle and Davis ran an 11.53.

The only other safety in this draft crop to come close to bettering eight of Brandt's nine target numbers is Justin Simmons, who bettered six of nine. Jalen Mills and Keanu Neal deserve mention for missing four and five targets, respectively, but with times and measures which all came close.

However, it's Davis who stands as the supreme athlete at the position with the following numbers: 4.46 40, 2.60 20, 1.56 10, 21 reps, 37.5 vertical, 10-6 broad jump, 3.97 short shuttle and 6.64 three-cone.
The Steelers apparently pay attention to such numbers at that position. Mike Mitchell was a surprising second-round pick out of Ohio in 2009 with pro-day numbers that bettered all but the short shuttle. (He wasn't timed in the long shuttle.) The Steelers, of course, signed Mitchell as a free agent in 2014 and have since used him as their starting free safety.

The Steelers hoped Mitchell would work in tandem with another athletic freak for whom they had traded a third-round pick to move up and draft in 2013. Shamarko Thomas, like Mitchell before him, had bettered all of Brandt's target numbers except for the short shuttle. (He never ran the long shuttle, either.) Yet, Thomas has been a disappointment to this point because of his alleged lack of understanding of the defense. Thus, the need at strong safety remains.

How is Davis' intelligence?

"I know three languages," he said proudly.

In addition to English, Davis studied "French in middle school and Chinese in high school."

So, that makes you smart?

"Exactly," he said with a smile.

"Relationships are definitely important," Davis added. "Not only do you need other DBs but the linebackers because they're involved in the pass game as well. Having each others' backs is keen. Sometimes when I was playing safety with (Anthony) Nixon, we wouldn't even talk. We'd have hand signals, things that we made up while watching film, things we made up on the fly. Communication in all aspects of the game needs to be straight."

Scouts say Davis' weakness as a defensive back has been his man coverage skills, but he looked smooth during Combine field drills and believes that flaw has been coached up well enough during practices against Stefon Diggs, who enjoyed an outstanding rookie season last year in Minnesota.

Davis agrees with scouts that his strengths are "playing center field" and of course coming downhill to make tackles.

"I just love hitting," he said. "I watched Sean Taylor my whole life. I mimic my play after him."

Taylor, of course, is the late great who seems to have inspired just about all of the young safeties coming out in recent drafts.

"I watched him ever since he was at Miami," Davis said. "I always wanted to go to the U back when they had the colored visors and all that stuff. I just loved how he imposed his will on people. He made people scared to come across the middle of the field. And then when he went to the Redskins. I'm from Maryland and I'm a Redskins fan. He wore No. 21 and his name was Sean so I was like, 'This dude is perfect.' I idolized him. I loved everything about him. Real quiet dude just like me."

Davis recalled Taylor's hit on a punter in a Pro Bowl "when he picked him up and dropped him on his head."

Davis, No. 21 from Maryland, can be seen at the opening of the Senior Bowl tape making a similar hit on Nick Vannett.

"The first play of the game, against that tight end in the flat," Davis said. "I picked him up and slammed him on his head, too. Yeah, I liked that one."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1656006-rolling-downhill-with-bad-intentions

Steelman
04-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Get ready to rock the black and gold, Sean! Welcome to the club!

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2016, 08:35 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

Sean Davis on his astounding 213 solo tackles at Maryland: "I think it's just the will to hit."

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

BlackAndGold
04-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Really like this guy. Can see him becoming a favorite.

Steelerette
04-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I would have taken Billings or Bell first, but I can appreciate this pick. We're drafting playmakers with a mentality of wanting to play physical ball. Let's just hope it doesn't translate into a heavily penalized secondary. Pass Interference penalties and personal fouls can be like a dagger to the heart.

The question is, would have this guy been rated a lot higher if the Terps didn't have him playing Corner this past season? He's bigger and faster than Bell, and wants to tackle and hit people. Continuing the trend started last year of filling the secondary with ballhawk playmakers. I'll take it.

Now for the love of got let Billings still be there when we pick. All of you who are saying that teams don't value a nose tackle are proving correct through this draft, but at some point you have to say, yes I'll absolutely spend a third round pick to have a lights out D-line.

RunNGun
04-29-2016, 09:36 PM
I see a lot of people are hating this pick in the other thread. I'm on the other side. I love it. Here is my scouting report on Sean Davis.

Has great instincts. Great athletisicm. Not afraid of contact. Aggressive tackler. Good ball skills. Good centerfielder. Good open field tackler. Needs to put on weight. Will give up ground to rbs and physical wrs when in contact. Too aggressive at times causing missed tackles or penalties.

I guess you have to take the bad with the good. He plays with a reckless abandon. I know another safety who use to play that way. Goes by the name of Troy Polamalu. Definitely not comparing the two, or calling Davis the second coming of TP, but I love the pick. Only time will tell.

Steelerette
04-29-2016, 09:41 PM
I know another safety who use to play that way. Goes by the name of Troy Polamalu. Definitely not comparing the two, or calling Davis the second coming of TP, but I love the pick. Only time will tell.I think I'd compare his game more to Ed Reed's. Not calling him the second coming of that guy either, but I think this is a boom or bust pick, but the boom could pay off very very well.

RunNGun
04-29-2016, 09:49 PM
I think I'd compare his game more to Ed Reed's. Not calling him the second coming of that guy either, but I think this is a boom or bust pick, but the boom could pay off very very well.

Like I said, I wasn't comparing TP and Davis' style of play. They both play recklessly, which makes them similar. Idk about the Reed comparison. He's more physical than Reed and not the ball hawk Reed was. I'm with ya that this pick could definitely pay off for us in the future.

Steelerette
04-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Now for the love of got let Billings still be there when we pick. All of you who are saying that teams don't value a nose tackle are proving correct through this draft, but at some point you have to say, yes I'll absolutely spend a third round pick to have a lights out D-line.

I can live with Hargrave. I wonder what the deal is with Billings' injury.

Steeldude
04-29-2016, 10:16 PM
I am thinking he will be moved to safety.

RunNGun
04-29-2016, 10:33 PM

I think that's a safe bet :applaudit:

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2016, 10:57 PM

Carnell Lake said although he will need to learn how to play both safety spots, we will start him out at strong safety.

RunNGun
04-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Carnell Lake said although he will need to learn how to play both safety spots, we will start him out at strong safety.

This surprises me. I figured they would try him at free safety first. To me that means Mitchell will be playing free safety this year. Davis looks to be a willing tackler, which fits the SS position, but his physique is that of a FS. I'm sure a lot will happen between now and week 1.

Shoes
04-30-2016, 12:03 AM
58. Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT):Sean Davis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386), CB, Maryland
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah: "Davis played corner last season, but safety previously. Height, weight, speed ... he checks all those boxes. He rose up late in the draft process. He's very raw, but the upside is tremendous."

Cyphon25
04-30-2016, 06:36 AM
I don't like to jump the gun on anyone but initially I am not a fan of this pick. From what I have been reading it sounds like he is more suited to play SS and I think we have much more of a need at the FS position.

Yes, technically Mitchell plays FS but he isn't a good FS. His play style is more suited to SS. So unless they move Golden, I view us as having 3 SS with the drafting of Davis and no good FS. Honestly I am hoping they do give Golden a chance at FS because from what I saw last year he has a good eye for the ball when it is in the air.

So for me, no direct knock on Davis other than the fact that I don't think he has added anything we really needed to the team unless he works out at FS. But Lake has said he will start out working in the SS role.

86WARD
04-30-2016, 06:56 AM
The problem I have with the first two picks is that they aren't starter material. You want some sort of participation out of picks one and two and I'm not seeing it here.

stillers4me
04-30-2016, 07:14 AM

BigNastyDefense
04-30-2016, 07:58 AM
This kid is going to be good. If he didn't have to move to CB last year because of injuries, he probably wouldn't have even been available at our pick.

RunNGun
04-30-2016, 08:59 AM
The problem I have with the first two picks is that they aren't starter material. You want some sort of participation out of picks one two and I'm not seeing it here.

I think you should be use to that by now. It's not the Steelers way. The rookies really have to earn a starting role. I don't see Davis or Burns starting day 1, but how often do Steelers rookies start anyways? They will both be groomed along until they prove to the coaches they're ready. I see Burns starting off as the #4 corner and then climbing his way up the depth chart, to eventually starting by mid season or sooner.
It may take Davis a little longer, but I think he'll get his chance at some point. Could be mid season, could be the playoffs. It will take patience just like every other Steelers rookie, but don't be so quick to write them off.

st33lersguy
04-30-2016, 09:30 AM
I am really starting to come around and warm to this pick. His tape definitely suggests he can be pretty awesome

steel striker
04-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Let's see what happens before we lay down judgement on these guys and, I'm willing to be positive. Who knows like many have said the draft is a crap shoot.

Mojouw
04-30-2016, 11:05 AM
I don't like to jump the gun on anyone but initially I am not a fan of this pick. From what I have been reading it sounds like he is more suited to play SS and I think we have much more of a need at the FS position.

Yes, technically Mitchell plays FS but he isn't a good FS. His play style is more suited to SS. So unless they move Golden, I view us as having 3 SS with the drafting of Davis and no good FS. Honestly I am hoping they do give Golden a chance at FS because from what I saw last year he has a good eye for the ball when it is in the air.

So for me, no direct knock on Davis other than the fact that I don't think he has added anything we really needed to the team unless he works out at FS. But Lake has said he will start out working in the SS role.

When is the last time the Steelers had a "true" FS? Clark and Troy were both strong safeties. It wont be a big deal.