PDA

View Full Version : PITTSBURGH is on the clock... (pick #58)

teegre
04-27-2016, 06:21 AM
By this time... you should know the deal.

1. LA: Jared Goff, QB, Berkeley (trade)
2. PHI: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St. (trade)
3. SD: Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi
4. DAL: Jalen Ramsey, FS, Florida St.
5. JAX: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
6. BAL: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
7. SF: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
8. CLE: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St. (trade)
9. TB: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St.
10. NYG: Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame
11. CHI: A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
12. NO: Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
13. MIA: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
14. OAK: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St
15. TEN: Jack Conklin, OT, Mich St (trade)
16. DET: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
17. ATL: Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
18. IND: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St.
19. BUF: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
20. NYJ: Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
21. WAS: Jarran Reed, NT, Alabama
22. HOU: Laquan Treadwell, WR, Mississippi
23. MIN: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
24: CIN: Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
25. PIT: William Jackson III, CB, Houston
26. SEA: Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Mississippi
27. GB: Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech
28. KC: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St
29: ARI: Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky
30: CAR: Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
31: DEN: Connor Cook, QB, Michigan St.

Round 2
32: CLE: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
33: TEN: Kendall Fuller, CB, Va Tech
34: DAL: Emmanual Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma St.
35: SD: Karl Joseph, SS, West Virginia
36: BAL Shilique Calhoun, DE/OLB, Michigan St
37: SF: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
38: JAX: Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
39: TB: Artie Burns, CB, Miami, Fla
40: NYG: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
41: CHI: Vonn Bell, SS, Ohio St
42: MIA: Keanu Neal, SS, Florida
43: TEN: Su'a Cravens, OLB/SS, USC
44: OAK: TJ Green, FS, Clemson
45: TEN: Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida
46: DET: Chris Jones, DT, Miss St
47: NO: Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn St
48: IND: Cody Whitehair, OC/OG, Kansas St
49: BUF: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
50: ATL: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
51: NYJ: Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise St.
52: HOU: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio St.
53: WAS: Darian Thompson, FS, Boise St.
54: MIN: S, Justin Simmons, Boston
55: CIN: WR, Michael Thomas, Ohio St.
56: SEA: OG, Josh Garnett, Stanford
57: GB: Deion Jones, OLB, LSU

58: PITTSBURGH is on the clock...

teegre
04-27-2016, 06:40 AM
For me, it comes down to one of the first three listed:
--Javon Hargrave
--Kenny Clark
--Austin Johnson

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2016, 08:10 AM
I picked Hargrave since we've been looking at him so hard and his stock is rising so fast. Watching him, he's growing on me too. Could be one of the monster Dlinemen of the draft in an already monster class of Dlinemen

pczach
04-27-2016, 08:55 AM
I went with Clark. I love Hargrave, but I think Clark is the higher rated player and that's why I think they would take him.

Texasteel
04-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Well, we have worked on the secondary, maybe not the player I would have picked but he's ours now. I think we work on the defensive line. The pick in my mine is between Clark and Hargrave. From what I have see, Clark is a better run stopper, where Hargrave may become a little better in the pass rush. It seemed to me that stopping the run become more difficult for us as the minutes our 2 star D-linemen increased. Just one reason I'm going with Clark. By the way, I don't thing Clark will be there when we pick, but since he is in this draft, I'm taking him.

teegre
04-27-2016, 10:13 AM
The pick in my mine is between Clark and Hargrave...

By the way, I don't thing Clark will be there when we pick

Those are my thoughts, as well. It is a tough, tough choice.

I wrote (a LOT) more about that topic here:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-meandering-thoughts-of-an-indecisive-steelers-mock-drafter/

Drazo85
04-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Hargrave!

teegre
04-27-2016, 11:31 AM
It's interesting...

The guy who we've all fell in love with (Hargrave) is ahead of the more highly-rated player (Clark).

QUESTION:
Do we think that Hargrave is actually the better player?... or, have we discussed him so much that we now have blinders on?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm really asking...

Born2Steel
04-27-2016, 11:49 AM
UCLA VS South Carolina State. The knock on Hargrave is size. The knock on Clark is he struggled against the better Olinemen. If Hargrave had Clark's size it would be hands down.

teegre
04-27-2016, 11:56 AM
UCLA VS South Carolina State. The knock on Hargrave is size. The knock on Clark is he struggled against the better Olinemen. If Hargrave had Clark's size it would be hands down.

Absolutely. Clark disappeared against good O-lines. That's a huge knock.

On the flip side, Hargrave has never faced any good O-lines. So, we don't know if he'll disappear or not.

Hmmm...

steelreserve
04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
I put Clark ... If we took Jackson in R1, we need DL help here, and Clark is more likely to play BOTH positions. I also like the guy who all signs point to as a solid pick but is not getting a lot of attention lately, instead of the guy with a surge of recent hype who may or may not be all that and may just be overvalued.

Also note that if we were in the situation this mock advances (e.g., no Billings in R1), then the better move for us is Butler in R1, Xavien Howard in R2. I have the feeling Howard is going to be a good CB in this league. What we would gain over him by taking Jackson IMO is not significant enough to pass up the last real top-tier defensive tackle.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2016, 12:19 PM
It's interesting...

The guy who we've all fell in love with (Hargrave) is ahead of the more highly-rated player (Clark).

QUESTION:
Do we think that Hargrave is actually the better player?... or, have we discussed him so much that we now have blinders on?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm really asking...

I think it comes down to what we are looking for as the next NT , Hargrave has proven to be able to get after the passer and be successful in doing so , sure it is at a bit lesser competition level but these guys are not bums he went up against either ..

I think the thing that Kept Hargrave down ( as the lower ranked guy ) has less to do with talent level than level of competition ..

in a pressure driven defense to me he is the better fit and has the higher ceiling

Clark disappearing vs the better lines he faced is alarming , Hargrave may not have faced as good of lines and he could also disappear but even if he does you are no worse off right ? because we sort of expect that already out of Clark ...

Dwinsgames
04-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Also note that if we were in the situation this mock advances (e.g., no Billings in R1), then the better move for us is Butler in R1, Xavien Howard in R2. I have the feeling Howard is going to be a good CB in this league. What we would gain over him by taking Jackson IMO is not significant enough to pass up the last real top-tier defensive tackle.

1 Billings
2 Best safety on the board
3 Will Redmond

would make even more sense , Redmond is a poor mans Jackson III , same basic size / skill set but far less investment due to lack of notoriety

st33lersguy
04-27-2016, 12:28 PM
We definitely want to get DL in the first 2 rounds and with William Jackson III going round 1 the pick in round 2 should be DL. I prefer Hargrave who is a real great player. His competition was not the best but I believe people had the same concerns about Ben (albeit the MAC has a higher level of competition than the FCS)

Born2Steel
04-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Same reps with 225 and not much difference speed-wise in the 40 at the combine. I would call all equal there due to size difference. Question is, was Clark's issues against better linemen more technigue(which is fixable), or mental(harder to fix). If technique only, I would take Clark, size does matter. Although he's not that much bigger. If he plays more like Suh, and doesn't learn from making the same mistakes over and over, and therefore becomes easier to block, then I go with Hargrave. Because you can't coach common sense.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2016, 02:53 PM
I would be very happy with:

1.25 William Jackson III CB
2.58 Javon Hargrave NT/DT
3.89 best available safety

teegre
04-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Clark disappearing vs the better lines he faced is alarming , Hargrave may not have faced as good of lines and he could also disappear but even if he does you are no worse off right ?

That is exceptional logic!!!

Texasteel
04-27-2016, 08:43 PM
looks like Hargrave is the pick. I'm good with that.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2016, 01:28 PM
looks like Hargrave is the pick. I'm good with that.

a fast tall CB like William Jackson III in Round 1 followed by an interior pass-rushing NT/DT fills two of the Steelers main needs.

in this scenario, a safety in Round 3 would be ideal...

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Interesting article on Javon Hargrave: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/1/22/10813994/nfl-draft-2016-finding-playmaking-defensive-tackles

they use an algorithm in the article to show overall production in college and if it translates to the nfl and apparently Javon Hargrave has the highest number by a hundred miles of any interior Dline prospect in the past 5 years, way higher than even Aaron McDonald. Looking at the trends of the chart...wow, just wow

teegre
04-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Interesting article on Javon Hargrave: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/1/22/10813994/nfl-draft-2016-finding-playmaking-defensive-tackles

they use an algorithm in the article to show overall production in college and if it translates to the nfl and apparently Javon Hargrave has the highest number by a hundred miles of any interior Dline prospect in the past 5 years, way higher than even Aaron McDonald. Looking at the trends of the chart...wow, just wow

Holy crap!!!

Do NOT let any other team see that.

Done deal. Hargrave IS the pick.

Mojouw
04-28-2016, 03:18 PM

Goodness! I knew the kid was projectable, but that is ridiculous. Food for thought - lately the Steelers have been selecting prospects with what I have termed "elite" physical skill or skills. Meaning Bryant's speed/size, Shazier's speed, etc. Makes me wonder if they have some in-house analytic program...

Dwinsgames
04-28-2016, 03:21 PM

who's Aaron McDonald Ronald's brother ?

LOL

SteelMember
04-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Hargrave fits the scenario, so I'll throw the curveball with Jerald Hawkins... can't have a runaway. The Steelers always keep it close, no matter the competion! :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

Goodness! I knew the kid was projectable, but that is ridiculous. Food for thought - lately the Steelers have been selecting prospects with what I have termed "elite" physical skill or skills. Meaning Bryant's speed/size, Shazier's speed, etc. Makes me wonder if they have some in-house analytic program...

T.F.L.

pczach
04-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Hargrave's production the last two seasons is ridiculous. I can't remember being this high on a defensive lineman that isn't at the very top of the draft. I absolutely love him as a player, and think he has a lot of the skills you are looking for at the NFL level. He's a little light, but I love his quickness and his leverage. Combine that with his ability to play at different positions along the DL, and I think he's a winner. I know the level of competition isn't as good as others, but he decimated everyone lining up against him. He also has shown good technique which will help him at the next level. He may be able to play very early in his career because he's more polished than many of the top-rated players coming out of Power 5 conferences.

He's one of those guys that I immediately fell in love with after seeing him play. The bad part is that everyone is noticing, and he's flying up draft boards. A few months ago, you may have been able to steal him in round 4-5. It will probably take a second round pick to get him tonight.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2016, 06:46 PM

maybe they look at that nike Sparq rating system like the seahawks do

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2016, 10:06 PM
congrats to all the Steelers Universe posters, we came within one pick of getting William Jackson III in the first round but still correctly predicted the CB position with Artie Burns and followed that up with predicting NT/DT Javon Hargrave would become a Steeler.

we were right, kind of...okay, we missed by a round but we still rock! :tt02:

st33lersguy
04-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Get him in the 3rd round. Steal

Mojouw
04-30-2016, 10:47 AM
maybe they look at that nike Sparq rating system like the seahawks do

They must. They are picking guys who basically break the SPARQ system.

Bluecoat96
04-30-2016, 11:37 AM
They must. They are picking guys who basically break the SPARQ system.
If I'm not mistaken, the Steelers did hire someone full time that dealt with analytics.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk