PDA

View Full Version : Ike's R1 Pick?

Shoes
04-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Billings!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mock-draft-live/0ap3000000655575/No-25-Steelers-NFL-Media-Mock-Draft (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mock-draft-live/0ap3000000655575/No-25-Steelers-NFL-Media-Mock-Draft)

GBMelBlount
04-24-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm with Ike.

Shoes
04-24-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm with Ike.

So am I!

st33lersguy
04-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Would be awesome!

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm sure the Steelers would strongly consider Billings but the question is whether he will still be available at 1.25.

Indy @ #18, Washington @ #21 and Cincinnati at #24 right in front of us are all looking for that NT/DT type...

pczach
04-24-2016, 08:52 PM
I like how Ike is thinking.

I also like Eli Apple more than most here. Ike apparently does too.

Shoes
04-24-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm sure the Steelers would strongly consider Billings but the question is whether he will still be available at 1.25.

Indy @ #18, Washington @ #21 and Cincinnati at #24 right in front of us are all looking for that NT/DT type...

I think Indy goes offense with a T. The Skins will probably go LB or NT and if they go NT, I think they go with Reed. The bengals will go offense, WR or o-line. Billings will be ours for the taking.

teegre
04-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I think Indy goes offense with a T. The Skins will probably go LB or NT and if they go NT, I think they go with Reed. The bengals will go offense, WR or o-line. Billings will be ours for the taking.

I hope that you're right...

Shoes
04-24-2016, 09:01 PM
I hope that you're right...

So do I, :chuckle:

New CBS Sports mock draft goes with Baylor DT in first round for the Steelers

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/24/new-cbs-sports-mock-draft-goes-with-baylor-dt-in-first-round-for-the-steelers/

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2016, 09:22 PM

If Indy doesnt go LT heads will roll and Andrew Luck is going to have a short career. He's been as beat up as many QB in the league since coming in. Cincy will probably look to continue arming their offense after losing 2 of their top 3 receivers, they could easily go with Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, or Leonard Floyd if they're still there as well. Peko and Atkins are arguably the best interior Dline in the league so they're only going to come off the field so much.

Washington I agree, is a huge threat to spoil a Billings opportunity for us, especially after getting Norman.

teegre
04-25-2016, 06:30 AM
After the draft was over, Daniel Jeremiah called the Billings pick the biggest "reach" of the draft.

Jeremiah admitted that he had Billings rated #25 on his board; so, #25 is not a bad spot for the player. He averred that it was the wrong pick for the Steelers, because they need secondary help.

polamalubeast
04-25-2016, 06:34 AM
The Colts have an urgent need of defense too.....

Born2Steel
04-25-2016, 07:48 AM
After the draft was over, Daniel Jeremiah called the Billings pick the biggest "reach" of the draft.

Jeremiah admitted that he had Billings rated #25 on his board; so, #25 is not a bad spot for the player. He averred that it was the wrong pick for the Steelers, because they need secondary help.

I took notice of that as well. To me, and maybe me only, we have our starting CBs with some depth. Yes we need DB help, but not necessarily at 25. Not all those high ranked CBs are going to fit our schemes. Reality is, we just don't play CBs day 1.

Psycho Ward 86
04-25-2016, 08:24 AM
The Colts have an urgent need of defense too.....

Would you rather have the horrible O-lines of 2008-2012 and a good defense or the good O-lines of the past 2 years and a crappy defense? I know im protecting my franchise so the choice is simple

polamalubeast
04-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Would you rather have the horrible O-lines of 2008-2012 and a good defense or the good O-lines of the past 2 years and a crappy defense? I know im protecting my franchise so the choice is simple

The steelers had bad o-line with a very good defense and they have been to 2 super bowl.

O-line is important, but the defense is more important.

Psycho Ward 86
04-25-2016, 12:35 PM
The steelers had bad o-line with a very good defense and they have been to 2 super bowl.

O-line is important, but the defense is more important.

You certainly take the health of a franchise QB for granted. You certainly take Ben's toughness for granted as well. How many QB's in the league can take the same kind of pounding that Ben can and still play well/not end their career early? Arguably none. And at most, you can count those QB's on one hand. Of those QB's, how many are franchise QB's?

Colts need to go LT, and they should be able to get at least one of the top 4 that have a consensus 1st round grade. Yes, Andrew Luck needs to learn how to slide, but the majority of the damage he's been taking has been a direct result of poor O-line play. Give him a better O-line in general and he wont even have to scramble as much as he does. How Andrew Luck hasnt died yet is a mystery to me.

Born2Steel
04-25-2016, 12:51 PM
You certainly take the health of a franchise QB for granted. You certainly take Ben's toughness for granted as well. How many QB's in the league can take the same kind of pounding that Ben can and still play well/not end their career early? Arguably none. And at most, you can count those QB's on one hand. Of those QB's, how many are franchise QB's?

Colts need to go LT, and they should be able to get at least one of the top 4 that have a consensus 1st round grade. Yes, Andrew Luck needs to learn how to slide, but the majority of the damage he's been taking has been a direct result of poor O-line play. Give him a better O-line in general and he wont even have to scramble as much as he does. How Andrew Luck hasnt died yet is a mystery to me.

Not sure if it is the LT or what, but you are correct. The Colts need help on the OLine in a bad way. And they had better get it early too. The Broncos lost a few guys they will be looking to replace. More of the teams that are stud picking early will be looking for line help in the 2nd-3rd. There won't be many high OL prospects left after the 3rd round.

polamalubeast
04-25-2016, 03:19 PM

I understand your point, but I would not be surprised to see the Colts drafted a defensive player in the first round.

Remember, they shook everyone last year when they drafted a WR in the first round!

Psycho Ward 86
04-25-2016, 04:34 PM
I understand your point, but I would not be surprised to see the Colts drafted a defensive player in the first round.

Remember, they shook everyone last year when they drafted a WR in the first round!

Yeah, and he didnt do shit, and Andrew Luck got drilled all season and ended up on IR

Iron Steeler
04-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Haha you sound like me with the wishful thinking

pczach
04-25-2016, 07:17 PM

The funny thing is, the cornerbacks feel like a reach. I don't know that one of these guys outside of Ramsey is a big-time prospect in other years. They may all end up being very good players, but there isn't a cornerback that I'm jumping up and down about getting.

I like Apple because he has the physical tools, and really needs to relearn how to play the position. At Ohio State, they coached him to play the style he has used, and I believe that has made him a little grabby and not always able to find the ball in the air. He is able to closely guard wider receivers, and mirrors them better than anyone else in the draft. He rarely gets beaten deep and has shown he can play well in zone, but needs to be coached up about not allowing easy catches underneath when he falls asleep. A good example of that is that Ohio State would be in a third down and long situation, Apple would be playing off coverage and have his eyes on the quarterback. He would backpedal keeping his eyes on the quarterback, but sometimes get mesmerized watching the QB, and lose sight of the receiver and the first down marker....giving up an easy first down because he fell asleep. I think his faults are coachable, and that he can make the transition to the NFL and have a chance to be a very good corner.

That's the guy I like the best outside of Ramsey. There are serious questions about all these guys in coverage, and particularly from a tackling standpoint with some of them. I think Alexander is the most ready to play right now, but may not be the most gifted long term or have as high a ceiling as a guy like Apple.

This is why I love the idea of moving back and acquiring picks unless a guy like Billings is available. Also, if they get more picks, you don't mind taking a player a little early to get the player you really want. Turning three picks in the first 100 players into 4 picks would be huge.

The strategy of which position of need to draft first will shape the entire draft for the Steelers.

If they go pass rushing edge player first. Spence is the only guy that has elite level talent that I believe in, but he has drug issues that may have him entirely off of their board. Floyd looks good, but I worry about his slight frame and lack of bulk to fit into this system. Ogbah looks good, but everyone playing in that system has put up big numbers and has not been good at the next level. I still think they should wait until later in the draft and go after a guy like Ochi. Drafting early in a weak class of edge 3-4 pass rushers just doesn't feel right unless they take a chance on Spence.

If they go Safety, #25 just feels a little early for Joseph because of the injury issue. There are a bunch of safeties I would be comfortable with them taking around the #35-50 pick. Again, we still have no idea whether they want a natural FS or a SS. Do they want explosive hitters like Joseph and Killebrew, or safeties that excel in coverage like Thompson and Cash. My guess is that they want a guy that can play both and be interchangeable in their system. That's what they have always liked in this defensive system. That's where it gets interesting and they can think about flexible tweener players like Cravens early, or guys like KJ Dillon later.

The other thing nobody is really talking about is the chance of an OT like Conklin dropping to them. I don't see that happening, but it would be very difficult to pass on him if he fell for whatever reason. Again, I don't see that happening, but you never know.

If they don't take a DL with the first pick, then I would hope they get someone like Hargrave in the third. A guy that can play multiple positions and techniques, with a great motor.

Will they stay put and get a special player at #25, or will they move back and we will get to grind over even more picks?

I can't wait!

GBMelBlount
04-25-2016, 07:27 PM
NFL.COM

25. Steelers - JARRAN REED - DT - ALABAMA

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/326202

Shoes
04-25-2016, 08:19 PM
NFL.COM

25. Steelers - JARRAN REED - DT - ALABAMA

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/326202

Looks like Ike got into Jeremiah's head. :chuckle: