PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Universe Mock Draft for 2016

fansince'76
04-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Our official annual mock draft for the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft is now up! Here is the link (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/Draft.html).

I'd also like to extend a big "thank you" to hawaiiansteeler and teegre for putting this together for us this year. It's obvious that they put a lot of thought and work into it.

Thanks once again to you both! :hatsoff:

LLT
04-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Fantastic job!!!!

teegre
04-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the opportunity.

Hawaii & I thoroughly enjoyed creating that mock.

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Thank you for the opportunity.

Hawaii & I thoroughly enjoyed creating that mock.

it was a lot of fun!

however in hindsight, after giving the Bengals WR Josh Doctson at #24 right in front of the Steelers, we should have had the Steelers select CB Eli Apple.

you know...so when we play them, an Apple a day would keep the Doctson away.

pczach
04-24-2016, 04:26 AM
Great job by both of you! :applaudit:

Thank you teegre and Hawaii 5-0 for giving us a fun exercise leading up to the draft. I appreciate all the work that went into it, and I really enjoyed it.

What would we do without you guys? I don't know if the draft is going to work out the way us meatheads at SU made our selections, but I loved the conversations about the picks by all the teams. I'm so happy you carried on the tradition of doing a mock draft here.

I love you guys! Chest Bump

teegre
04-24-2016, 08:57 PM
an Apple a day would keep the Doctson away.

:rofl2:

teegre
04-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Great job by both of you! :applaudit:

Thank you teegre and Hawaii 5-0 for giving us a fun exercise leading up to the draft. I appreciate all the work that went into it, and I really enjoyed it.

What would we do without you guys? I don't know if the draft is going to work out the way us meatheads at SU made our selections, but I loved the conversations about the picks by all the teams. I'm so happy you carried on the tradition of doing a mock draft here.

I love you guys! Chest Bump

The feeling is mutual, brother.

I'm glad that you found your way over here.

hawaiiansteeler
04-25-2016, 08:35 PM
we chose SS Karl Joseph as the Steelers Round 1 pick not only because he happens to be both teegre's and my favorite college player but because he also happens to fill a position of need.

the Steelers may very well decide to draft another SS in this draft such as Vonn Bell, Keanu Neal or Jeremy Cash (all brought in for visits) because they are afraid of the medical risk associated with Joseph, but man is this guy ever a player! he had 5 interceptions in his first 4 games before getting hurt, is a great team leader and loved by the coaching staff.

wouldn't it be great to have a safety flying around out there on Sundays making plays like Troy used to do again? :thumbsup:

Shoes
04-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Nice work Gents!

steelreserve
04-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Very interesting and well done. My only complaint would be Cleveland trading up to #3 after just trading down, and also since they can probably get Lynch right where they are. But then again ... they're the Browns, they can fuck anything up. Very nice.

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2016, 12:42 AM
@Alex_Kozora how likely is K Joseph in 1st? For Steelers

Alex Kozora Retweeted Michael Kozemchak

As it stands right now, I consider him the favorite.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/kozora-2016-steelers-mock-draft-version-4-0/

teegre
04-26-2016, 06:34 AM
@Alex_Kozora how likely is K Joseph in 1st? For Steelers

Alex Kozora Retweeted Michael Kozemchak

As it stands right now, I consider him the favorite.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/kozora-2016-steelers-mock-draft-version-4-0/

I concur.

I've stated for weeks that my list has three names on it:.
--Noah Spence
--Karl Joseph
--A'Jarrandrew Robillingseed

I think that Spence and Robillingseed will be gone, leaving Joseph. Heck, even if they aren't gone, I still might go with Joseph.

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Very interesting and well done. My only complaint would be Cleveland trading up to #3 after just trading down, and also since they can probably get Lynch right where they are. But then again ... they're the Browns, they can fuck anything up. Very nice.

we discussed this very subject. Hue Jackson has Paxton Lynch rated higher than Goff and Wentz, and could very well just stand pat at #8 and still be able to draft Lynch.

but with Dallas at #4, the 49ers at #7, and the Saints, Jets and Broncos all also looking for a QB the Browns need to be worried that Lynch might not make it to #8. and if Hue Jackson really does value Lynch that highly, he might want to ensure he gets his future franchise QB.

NFL Rumors - April 26 Updates:

There's a lot of buzz that Hue Jackson is advocating for Paxton Lynch. - Peter King, Sports Illustrated

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#tTkGEVSgo4F8XgIu.99

teegre
04-26-2016, 02:34 PM
we discussed this very subject. Hue Jackson has Paxton Lynch rated higher than Goff and Wentz, and could very well just stand pat at #8 and still be able to draft Lynch.

but with Dallas at #4, the 49ers at #7, and the Saints, Jets and Broncos all also looking for a QB the Browns need to be worried that Lynch might not make it to #8. and if Hue Jackson really does value Lynch that highly, he might want to ensure he gets his future franchise QB.

NFL Rumors - April 26 Updates:

There's a lot of buzz that Hue Jackson is advocating for Paxton Lynch. - Peter King, Sports Illustrated

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#tTkGEVSgo4F8XgIu.99

Uh... WE ROCK!!!

(That is proof that Peter King trolls this message board. :lol: )

Mojouw
04-26-2016, 06:00 PM
I concur.

I've stated for weeks that my list has three names on it:.
--Noah Spence
--Karl Joseph
--A'Jarrandrew Robillingseed

I think that Spence and Robillingseed will be gone, leaving Joseph. Heck, even if they aren't gone, I still might go with Joseph.

I agree with that but I want to throw one wrench into the works. It is a large wrench - let us call it Robert Nkemdiche.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15159447/should-teams-worry-robert-nkemdic-nfl-future

That article makes me think his off the field stuff is way less concerning then Spence or Bryant. One a current Steeler and one they have made eyes at during the pre-draft process.

Want to talk about a DL that could be nightmare inside or out and elevate the pass rush? Sure his technique stinks and he is "meh" in his effort against the run sometimes, but the Steelers basically strip their DL prospects for parts and rebuild their technique from scratch anyways (Casey Hampton being about the one exception).

https://youtu.be/dPhgQhazzqQ

I am starting to think here is Robert's biggest problem - he is bored. He is like that kid that sits in the back of the class and starts doing goofy stupid stuff but has already mastered trigonometry while the rest of us were trying to figure out addition. I've been pretty high on Spence. But I'm starting to think if you are going to role the dice on someone, roll them on this guy. I see Julius Peppers 2.0.

Anyways, just a random thought.

teegre
04-26-2016, 06:02 PM
I agree with that but I want to throw one wrench into the works. It is a large wrench - let us call it Robert Nkemdiche.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15159447/should-teams-worry-robert-nkemdic-nfl-future

That article makes me think his off the field stuff is way less concerning then Spence or Bryant. One a current Steeler and one they have made eyes at during the pre-draft process.

Want to talk about a DL that could be nightmare inside or out and elevate the pass rush? Sure his technique stinks and he is "meh" in his effort against the run sometimes, but the Steelers basically strip their DL prospects for parts and rebuild their technique from scratch anyways (Casey Hampton being about the one exception).

https://youtu.be/dPhgQhazzqQ

I am starting to think here is Robert's biggest problem - he is bored. He is like that kid that sits in the back of the class and starts doing goofy stupid stuff but has already mastered trigonometry while the rest of us were trying to figure out addition. I've been pretty high on Spence. But I'm starting to think if you are going to role the dice on someone, roll them on this guy. I see Julius Peppers 2.0.

Anyways, just a random thought.

Well... he did indeed visited the Steelers.

Rumors are swirling that he's dropping into R2. At 58, that's a minimal gamble.

Mojouw
04-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Well... he did indeed visited the Steelers.

Rumors are swirling that he's dropping into R2. At 58, that's a minimal gamble.

At 59 I would trample people to turn that card in. Either that or hold an auction for a kings ransom of future picks for someone to come up and get him.

teegre
04-26-2016, 06:30 PM
At 59 I would trample people to turn that card in. Either that or hold an auction for a kings ransom of future picks for someone to come up and get him.

If he got to 50, I'd trade up.

Mojouw
04-26-2016, 06:38 PM
If he got to 50, I'd trade up.

So would I. The more I read about this dude and the more I see some video of him, I start to feel like I am watching the front 7 defender from this class that everyone will be asking "Why did we pass on him?" in 2 years.

But, heck, I'm so often wrong about this stuff that I don't even count anymore. I thought Clowney was going to be Robin to JJ Watt's Batman and they would just dominate the league. Go ME!

But if the off the field stuff is basically he is "weird" and says "odd and difficult to understand stuff" and (for the sake of argument) not anything to do with substances; well then I have this as an answer:

Joey Porter (maybe his mini-horse eating pit bulls can hang out with Nkemdiche's panther)
Greg Lloyd (dude stuck a gun in his kid's mouth. Plus he said and did random stuff all the time)
Kevin Greene (that guy was out there)
Rashard Mendenhall (really weird dude - but when he was healthy he did alright)

teegre
04-26-2016, 06:51 PM
So would I. The more I read about this dude and the more I see some video of him, I start to feel like I am watching the front 7 defender from this class that everyone will be asking "Why did we pass on him?" in 2 years.

But, heck, I'm so often wrong about this stuff that I don't even count anymore. I thought Clowney was going to be Robin to JJ Watt's Batman and they would just dominate the league. Go ME!

But if the off the field stuff is basically he is "weird" and says "odd and difficult to understand stuff" and (for the sake of argument) not anything to do with substances; well then I have this as an answer:

Joey Porter (maybe his mini-horse eating pit bulls can hang out with Nkemdiche's panther)
Greg Lloyd (dude stuck a gun in his kid's mouth. Plus he said and did random stuff all the time)
Kevin Greene (that guy was out there)
Rashard Mendenhall (really weird dude - but when he was healthy he did alright)

Very good points (about defenders having a screw loose).

When Nkemdiche tries, he's the best player on the field. If Tomlin can channel him, we'd have ourselves a monster.

A buddy of mine likes Nkemdiche better than almost ANY other player in this draft. (You're not alone.)

fansince'76
04-26-2016, 07:50 PM
I thought Clowney was going to be Robin to JJ Watt's Batman and they would just dominate the league. Go ME!

I remember a lot of people wanting the Steelers to purposely tank the 2013 season after starting 0-4 to get him in the '14 draft. :rolleyes:

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Uh... WE ROCK!!!

(That is proof that Peter King trolls this message board. :lol: )

exactly what we were thinking...

Buzz around #3 QB – and beyond – growing …

By Colin Lindsay | April 26, 2016

We will find out for sure in just over two days which of QBs Carson Wentz of North Dakota State and/or Cal’s Jared Goff Los Angeles and Philadelphia will select, respectively, with the first two picks of the 2016 draft. The more intriguing question for Thursday’s opening round, though, may be where Memphis QB Paxton Lynch, the consensus #3 QB in this year’s draft, is selected and by whom. In fact, while he’s not rated quite that high on the proverbial ‘consensus draft guru board’ it’s just hard to imagine that he lasts past the 7-8 picks which are currently held by San Francisco and Cleveland respectively, two of the most QB-needy teams in the league. New Cleveland head coach Hue Jackson, for one, is believed to be lobbying the Browns’ front office hard for Lynch. Meanwhile, if the 49ers and or Browns don’t want Lynch for themselves, there is a better than even chance that there are several teams including Buffalo and the New York Jets, who pick 19th and 20th respectively, who would be willing to move up to get Lynch. The Jets, in particular, made inquiries about acquiring the #1 pick prior to the Rams making their bold move to get the top pick with incumbent start Ryan Fitzpatrick locked in a contract stalemate with the team, while the Bills have never been shy about moving up in the past. We can perhaps even add New Orleans to the list of teams looking at Lynch. There are reports circulating that the Saints also called Tennessee about a potential deal for the #1 pick. And while it would seem counterintuitive that the Saints, who had one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL last year would be thinking of trading up for a QB, Drew Brees just turned 37 and is in the final year of his current contract so maybe New Orleans feels that they really aren’t close enough to try and load up on defense for one more run with Brees next fall and instead are rethinking of a more complete overhaul starting with a young QB. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, there is a little buzz out there that nobody should be surprised if Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg is the 4th QB board this weekend ahead of Connor Cook of Michigan State. Both have first round physical tools, and while Cook was somewhat more productive in college there have been reports that his demeanor is a little off-putting since last fall when he was not selected as a team captain by his MSU teammates. Hackenberg has also had his own character questions to deal with, especially after he was reported to have blamed much of his productivity issues the past couple of years on Penn State head coach James Franklin. Remember, though, that it wasn’t all that long ago that Hackenberg was being talked about as the #1 prospect for this year’s draft earlier in his career. And with so many teams in need of QB help at this year’s draft it certainly will not be a surprise if either, or both, of Hackenberg and/or Cook are ultimately taken in Thursday’s first round given the critical importance of the position.

http://gbnreport.com/buzz-around-3-qb-beyond-growing/

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Latest Steelers Rumors On The NFL Draft, Karl Joseph And A Landry Jones Trade

By Tom Downey
April 26, 2016

Picking near the end of the first round, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been linked heavily to cornerback prospects. However, the latest Steelers rumor is that the team won't necessarily use that pick on a corner.

"A contact on staff in Pittsburgh said the team is not set on a cornerback in Round 1 and that it could draft Karl Joseph, depending on his medicals," Matt Miller of Bleacher Report writes.

This is not the first time the Steelers and Joseph have been linked, and Pro Football Talk reports that Joseph will be a first round selection. That's a clear sign that the knee injury he suffered won't be a problem. The Steelers do need a safety to pair with Mike Mitchell after failing to sign Eric Weddle.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/latest-steelers-rumors-karl-joseph-and-landry-jones-trade-28426

teegre
04-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Latest Steelers Rumors On The NFL Draft, Karl Joseph And A Landry Jones Trade

By Tom Downey
April 26, 2016

Picking near the end of the first round, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been linked heavily to cornerback prospects. However, the latest Steelers rumor is that the team won't necessarily use that pick on a corner.

"A contact on staff in Pittsburgh said the team is not set on a cornerback in Round 1 and that it could draft Karl Joseph, depending on his medicals," Matt Miller of Bleacher Report writes.

This is not the first time the Steelers and Joseph have been linked, and Pro Football Talk reports that Joseph will be a first round selection. That's a clear sign that the knee injury he suffered won't be a problem. The Steelers do need a safety to pair with Mike Mitchell after failing to sign Eric Weddle.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/latest-steelers-rumors-karl-joseph-and-landry-jones-trade-28426

This news is coming out TOO EARLY.

Now, I'm afraid of a Darrelle Revis situation. ARGH!!!

BlackAndGold
04-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Like teegre, all this Joseph talk makes me think he isn't the guy they want.

Mojouw
04-27-2016, 06:57 PM
In breaking news they also won't be trading a bag of used athletic tape for draft picks. However, there are rumors that some old VCRs and TVs might get shipped out for a conditional 7th rounder. Apparently there is a team interested, but they want to make sure that the TVs and VCRs can hold up to rigorous film study.

C'mon?! A Landry Jones trade? To where? For What?

GBMelBlount
04-27-2016, 07:04 PM
an Apple a day would keep the Doctson away.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/cooper-dressed-as-a-racing-car-driver-chases-a-competitor-as-he-in-picture-id488996908

teegre
04-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Like teegre, all this Joseph talk makes me think he isn't the guy they want.

I'm more concerned that they want Joseph, and another team will leap-frog them to get him.

Born2Steel
04-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Nicely done. Personally, I would take Butler if Billings is not there. See which safety falls to 45-50 and make that trade instead.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Nicely done. Personally, I would take Butler if Billings is not there.

Mike Mayock just did his one round mock and didn't have Billings or Butler going in the first round.

Steelers took Eli Apple, William Jackson III went at #28, Artie Burns at #29 and Karl Joseph went to Denver with the last pick of Round 1.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/326209