PDA

View Full Version : 7 Reasons Why The Steelers Might Not Draft A Cornerback In The First Round

polamalubeast
04-22-2016, 02:21 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/260908/

Born2Steel
04-22-2016, 02:31 PM
There was an interesting interview with Herm Edwards this morning on Mike&Mike. He talked about his time with Tampa. He said they knew they were not taking a CB in the 1st round. They didn't have to think about it. They didn't have the need for a 1st rd talent at CB with their system. They needed a 3 technique and a Middle LB so they got those, who went on to HoF careers. And that's how they got to and won a Super Bowl. It's all about the right players for your scheme. Steelers have not put the importance on 1st round talent CBs. Just doesn't fit the scheme.

Dwinsgames
04-22-2016, 09:48 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/260908/

sounds like he was reading post 21 and 23 of this thread before writing that http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25518-Steelers-Draft-Apple-Alexander-or-Jackson

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2016, 12:10 AM
sounds like he was reading post 21 and 23 of this thread before writing that http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25518-Steelers-Draft-Apple-Alexander-or-Jackson

so you're Dave Bryan, huh? :bond:

pczach
04-23-2016, 07:35 AM

You may be right. The Steelers have been operating in that manner for a while now.

If what you are saying is true from a philosophical standpoint, the Steelers would then be looking to improve the pass rush by strongly considering the best pure 3-4 edge rusher in this draft in Noah Spence. They would also be looking at strengthening the defensive line with a premier player, and a safety that they look at as a playmaker.

You would have to think that those three positions would have to be the priority in that scenario.

The only thing that would change their thinking would be if they thought there was a cornerback in the draft that was special. Someone that was so good that he could allow changes in scheme. Someone that would make everyone on the field better. I'm not sure there is anybody that good at CB in this draft.

The safety position has become the playmaking position over the last 15 years or so in the NFL. Troy Polamalu transformed the Steelers defense with his versatility and playmaking abilities. There will never be another Troy, but if they think there is a safety that can make your secondary more explosive and create turnovers, he has to be a priority for the Steelers.

There is much to ponder.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2016, 07:56 AM
You may be right. The Steelers have been operating in that manner for a while now.

If what you are saying is true from a philosophical standpoint, the Steelers would then be looking to improve the pass rush by strongly considering the best pure 3-4 edge rusher in this draft in Noah Spence. They would also be looking at strengthening the defensive line with a premier player, and a safety that they look at as a playmaker.

You would have to think that those three positions would have to be the priority in that scenario.

The only thing that would change their thinking would be if they thought there was a cornerback in the draft that was special. Someone that was so good that he could allow changes in scheme. Someone that would make everyone on the field better. I'm not sure there is anybody that good at CB in this draft.

The safety position has become the playmaking position over the last 15 years or so in the NFL. Troy Polamalu transformed the Steelers defense with his versatility and playmaking abilities. There will never be another Troy, but if they think there is a safety that can make your secondary more explosive and create turnovers, he has to be a priority for the Steelers.

There is much to ponder.

Not only was Troy incredibly athletic and instinctive but he was also very quick and blazing fast (4.3 40).

Is there anyone even remotely close to Troy in this draft?

Not that it is all about speed but after Ramsey is there a potential safety that even runs a 4.5 40 in the top 10?

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/FloridaState_logo.gif

Jalen Ramsey*, S/CB, Florida State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 209. Arm: 33.38.

40 Time: 4.41.

Projected Round (2016): Top-5 Pick.

4/9/16: Sources with the Titans said that Ramsey is currently the favorite to be their pick at No. 1 overall. They think he could be a Richard Sherman- or Charles Woodson-type defensive back for them. Two playoff teams have told WalterFootball.com that they have a second-round grade on Ramsey. However, two other teams picking in the top 10 have Ramsey in the top 10 on their draft boards.

The Nashville product was a star of the combine interviews. Teams say Ramsey is a great kid and they love him off the field. He also had an excellent combine workout with a fast 40 and a strong showing in the field work. With Ramsey's character and impressive skill set, some teams are over the moon about him.

Sources from the teams that gave him a second-round grade say that in watching Ramsey, he is more special at safety rather than corner. For the NFL, they feel he would be a press-man corner to take on big receivers, but would struggle to prevent separation from speed receivers and sudden route-runners. They believe that Ramsey would have to be moved around and protected in their defense, but he would probably playing safety the majority of the time.

The sources that love Ramsey said that while big corners struggle with small shifty players, Ramsey can reroute them easily at the line of scrimmage or cover them up with size and length downfield. They compared Ramsey to Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Richard Sherman and Xavier Rhodes.

In 2015, Ramsey had 50 tackles with 10 passes broken up and zero interceptions. Against South Florida, Ramsey had a nice pass breakup and a long kick return, but also got lucky. He was all but beaten for a long pass play after losing a receiver deep downfield, but the wideout dropped the pass. Versus Miami, Ramsey gave up a 58-yard touchdown to Hurricanes wide receiver Rashawn Scott. It gave evidence that Ramsey is a work in progress as a corner. He played better against the Clemson Tigers and their talented wide receivers.

8/17/15: The Florida State defense was disappointing as a unit in 2014, but some individual players impressed. Ramsey was one of the team's best defenders, making a lot of clutch tackles. He totaled 79 stops, 9.5 tackles for a loss, 12 passes broken up, two interceptions and two forced fumbles on the year. At times during the 2014 season, Ramsey was the Seminoles' best defensive player.

There is some talk of Ramsey moving to cornerback in 2015, and that could change his draft evaluation significantly. However, Jimbo Fisher believes that Ramsey has the potential to be an elite corner.

As a freshman in 2013, Ramsey started on Florida State's National Championship team at safety and cornerback. He recorded 49 tackles and an interception that season.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016S.php#7eFeHlbR3xG2ZZq6.99

Dwinsgames
04-23-2016, 08:30 AM

There is much to ponder.

based on the visits , I would say DT with an outside shot at S in rd 1 .

no 1st rd pass rushers or corners brought in for visits , that is not the be all end all on whether they select the pos. but it is usually a sign of intent and it seems DT and S are their top priority early on at least .

the bad news is the Redskins signing Norman lessens the DT pool from my perspective since biggest need is NT now and the second piece of bad news is the recent report that Joseph may not be as far along as we had hoped in his recovery ... the good news is we won't have long to wait to find out as the pick is getting close to becoming a reality

- - - Updated - - -

so you're Dave Bryan, huh? :bond:

lol no but clearly we are on the same page with this topic

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2016, 01:34 PM
lol no but clearly we are on the same page with this topic

I was just kidding, but I am convinced the Steelers beat writers and websites peruse the various Steelers message boards out there for writing ideas...

LLT
04-23-2016, 01:51 PM
I understand the premise...but I'm still not buying it.

The position is just too thin to not add major talent in order to build it back up to some level of at least being adequate. In a draft year where the defensive line and safety positions are unusually deep and impact players at those positions can be picked up in the 2nd and 3rd round...I think there is actually only a slight chance that we go in any other direction but cornerback.

The original article ignores some pretty basic facts....like "Grant might still be considered a cornerback". Yes...he may...but he is also a player that initially failed to make the roster on a team whose secondary play was dreadful. Also "Gay was re-signed" is probably more of a sign of making him a stop-gap until Golson (who is most assuredly a nickel back) can take his place.

If the attention that the coaching staff and FO gave to prospects tell us anything...its that we will probably sign Apple, Alexander, or Jackson...and pick up another CB in the 3rd or 4th round. As I said...there is a LOT of value at DT and Safety in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If a top 15 player slides will we grab him? Of course we will and then all the speculation is out the window. But all things being equal, I would say that the chance of us drafting a cornerback is about 75%. No argument that I have heard carries enough water to make me believe otherwise.

Dwinsgames
04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
I understand the premise...but I'm still not buying it.

The position is just too thin to not add major talent in order to build it back up to some level of at least being adequate. In a draft year where the defensive line and safety positions are unusually deep and impact players at those positions can be picked up in the 2nd and 3rd round...I think there is actually only a slight chance that we go in any other direction but cornerback.

The original article ignores some pretty basic facts....like "Grant might still be considered a cornerback". Yes...he may...but he is also a player that initially failed to make the roster on a team whose secondary play was dreadful. Also "Gay was re-signed" is probably more of a sign of making him a stop-gap until Golson (who is most assuredly a nickel back) can take his place.

If the attention that the coaching staff and FO gave to prospects tell us anything...its that we will probably sign Apple, Alexander, or Jackson...and pick up another CB in the 3rd or 4th round. As I said...there is a LOT of value at DT and Safety in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If a top 15 player slides will we grab him? Of course we will and then all the speculation is out the window. But all things being equal, I would say that the chance of us drafting a cornerback is about 75%. No argument that I have heard carries enough water to make me believe otherwise.

in a few LONG days , we will have the answer until then we are all just speculating anyways but hell it is fun

LLT
04-23-2016, 02:20 PM
in a few LONG days , we will have the answer until then we are all just speculating anyways but hell it is fun

If they could promise me a healthy Kendall Fuller in the 2nd and Sean Davis (as a safety) in the 3rd...I would extremely thrilled with Billings in the 1st round.

Psycho Ward 86
04-23-2016, 07:58 PM
If they could promise me a healthy Kendall Fuller in the 2nd and Sean Davis (as a safety) in the 3rd...I would extremely thrilled with Billings in the 1st round.

Interesting. Sean Davis is one of my least favorite safety prospects in this draft right up there with TJ Green, although Green is the front runner by far for me. What do you like about Sean Davis