PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh still has free-agent options at safety

Shoes
04-18-2016, 02:15 PM
By: Curt Popejoy (http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/author/curt-popejoy/) | 5 hours ago

The 2016 NFL draft is less than two weeks away, and the Pittsburgh Steelers certainly seem to be angling toward drafting a safety in the early rounds. Pittsburgh has committed considerable time and resources toward scouting safety prospects varying from the first round all the way into the third day.

As of now, the Steelers have Mike Mitchell starting at one safety spot, but no one at the other. Robert Golden and Shamarko Thomas are on the roster, but if either of these guys had the confidence of the coaching staff they wouldn’t be trying so hard to find a replacement.
However, what if the Steelers could bring in a viable replacement via free agency without having to start over via the draft? It is a real option, and one the Steelers should consider.

The Arizona Cardinals are sitting on a future star with safety Tony Jefferson. The former Oklahoma star slipped through the cracks of the 2013 NFL draft and the Cardinals were the beneficiaries of this.
Jefferson is a rotational player only because the Cardinals have a significant amount of depth at safety. Probably as much as any team in the NFL. Jefferson is strong and physical and plays downhill like a runaway train. He’s an ideal candidate for a hybrid safety/linebacker and if not for Deone Bucannon, would be in the role full time in Arizona.

Jefferson has started 15 games over the past two seasons and appeared in all 32. He has 158 tackles in those 32 games. This is more than Mitchell has had over the past two seasons, starting all 32 games.
However, Jefferson is a restricted free agent, and for some reason, the Cardinals have opted to give him the lowest tender offer. Since Jefferson was a UDFA, the Steelers would have to give no compensation should they offer Jefferson a contract and Arizona doesn’t match.
If Pittsburgh wants to fill their need at safety without using a draft pick, there’s no better option than Jefferson. In fact, I’m not sure there is a better safety prospect in the upcoming draft, in the short run at least.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/18/pittsburgh-still-has-free-agent-options-at-safety/

SteelMember
04-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm for anything that will help improve a secondary on life support.

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2016, 03:12 PM
holy shit, they gave him the lowest round tender? i saw the title of this article and thought "No we'll be ok" but thats almost a dream come true. Bring him in! Nothing to lose there and tons of upside

Born2Steel
04-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I know nothing about him, but if he is what the article says, let's kick the tires.

ALLD
04-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Normally players leave the Steelers and go to the Cardinals, not the other way around.

Shoes
04-18-2016, 08:15 PM
He's locked up with the Cards in 2016, signed a one year tender.