PDA

View Full Version : Texans Cut Hoyer, Could Steelers Have Interest?

Shoes
04-17-2016, 04:31 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) APRIL 17, 2016 AT 04:05 PM
Ok, I’m going to break one of my cardinal rules here. I normally despise the typical “the Steelers should sign Player X” right after a transaction. But when one of those players is someone who spent their time in Pittsburgh, there’s a little more bite to it.
The Houston Texans officially cut quarterback Brian Hoyer today. That’s been clear as say after giving a mega-deal to Brock Osweiler, and obviously without being able to find a trade partner, the team finally relented and gave Hoyer his pink slip.
You’ll remember Hoyer spent about three weeks with the Pittsburgh Steelers back in 2012. Signed on November 20th, cut on December 8th. The Cleveland Browns signed him for the following season and he played reasonably well the next two years, going 10-6 as a starter, practically Hall of Fame status for Cleveland. That included a 31-10 beatdown on Pittsburgh in 2014. Though Hoyer completed just eight passes on the day, he threw for 217 yards, including a 51 yard touchdown to Jordan Cameron.
The Steelers signed Mike Vick last year and you can bet Vick’s performance against the Steelers in 2014 had an influence on the decision. Play well against Pittsburgh and you’ll get noticed.
Hoyer spent last season with the Houston Texans, starting nine games and having a positive regular season before utterly collapsing in the playoff loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. That ugly performance aside, Hoyer has enjoyed himself a decent career and knowing any starting interest would be thin, is likely comfortable being a team’s #2.
So could that place be Pittsburgh? Mike Tomlin has hinted at a desire to upgrade the backup to Ben Roethlisberger. In his end of the year presser, Tomlin told the media he would evaluate his backup spot depending on “what my options are.” Hoyer is arguably the best option this free agency class has seen. Though Landry Jones showed signs of progression, it’s a no-brainer that Hoyer would be preferred.
And as I write this, Jason La Canfora indicates Pittsburgh certainly does have interest.
Though this is obviously pure speculation from me, I would go as far to say that Pittsburgh could be the favorites for Hoyer. It’s a win-win. Hoyer gets brought into a healthy, stable environment with a chance to win while the Steelers get a dependable, veteran backup with experience starting and coming off the bench, the ideal match for what the position demands.
Dave Bryan seems to think it would be a two or three year deal which seems entirely reasonable. It wouldn’t be a shock to see Pittsburgh bring Hoyer in this week, perhaps as early as Monday.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/texans-cut-hoyer-steelers-interest/

This would be great if it happeded!

hawaiiansteeler
04-17-2016, 04:36 PM
I would think that both the Broncos and Jets would also be teams interested in Hoyer, and they would be able to offer him a chance to compete for the starting job.

steelreserve
04-17-2016, 04:42 PM
It would be great if the price was right. The price won't be right. There are other teams still looking for an option #1 at QB, not an option #2. And the minimum asking price for that starts at $XX,XXX,XXX per year, regardless of talent level.

Psycho Ward 86
04-17-2016, 04:49 PM
top backups only go to teams offering them a shot to start, especially if theyve already had extensive starting experience. would love him here but we cant offer him much of anything it seems.

the fact that jason la canfora is reporting our interest is promising though. He's usually on point, unlike Ian Rappoport. Ill gladly pay him up to 3 million a year. Its a lot for a backup QB but he's worth it. i had forgotten that we signed him for a while back before he went to the browns. really makes you wonder "what if?" If we had managed to sign him to a multiyear deal, we definitely would have won another game or 2 and been able to make landry jones dispensable. would have been the league's best kept secret at backup QB

Count Steeler
04-17-2016, 06:44 PM
I have interest, but not at $xx,xxx,xxx.

fansince'76
04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
I think Hoyer proved conclusively that he's NOT a starting NFL QB, hence the Texans paying through the nose for a guy like Osweiler who the jury is still very much out on as well.

SO not looking forward to Roethlisberger retiring because the Steelers are going to be in the same boat sooner rather than later.

ETL
04-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Hoyer and Cardale Jones with a mid-round pick would be nice.

Hoyer may want a starting job - possibly Denver or NY Jets but he is not starter material at this time. And Jets and Bronco fans should have a cow if he was named their starter.

However, he may be the best backup available in the league and he should know there is a good chance he will play during a 16 game season. And what better team to play for than the Steelers with Bell and Antonio Brown.

He may be able to better advance his career in the long run with solid winning outings as the Steelers backup

Steeldude
04-18-2016, 02:34 AM
Hoyer and Cardale Jones with a mid-round pick would be nice.

Hoyer may want a starting job - possibly Denver or NY Jets but he is not starter material at this time. And Jets and Bronco fans should have a cow if he was named their starter.

However, he may be the best backup available in the league and he should know there is a good chance he will play during a 16 game season. And what better team to play for than the Steelers with Bell and Antonio Brown.

He may be able to better advance his career in the long run with solid winning outings as the Steelers backup

Jones isn't accurate and can't read defenses. He is basically a less athletic version of Vince Young.

WEAKNESSES: Fails to read defenses and locks onto targets. Where he has really struggled is a lack of anticipation and timing. Studying his film, Jones waits for targets to get open before throwing the ball as hard as he can so it arrives before the defender. Questionable decision-making and needs to quicken his eyes and expand his vision. Shows cabin fever, often tucking and running when initial read is taken away. Wasn't asked to identify defensive coverages in college.

He needs refinement with his footwork, internal clock and overall accuracy to all levels of the field. Maturity has been another trouble issue with Jones and his class clown routine won't be tolerated by many NFL head coaches.

COMPARES TO: JaMarcus Russell, ex-Raiders -- Jones is physically impressive with the size, build and arm strength that instantly draws comparisons to Russell, including the mobility to pick up yards with his legs when needed. He can make every throw and showcases precision when he squares his shoulders and follows through with his delivery, but his game lacks sophistication and he's simply extremely raw.

Born2Steel
04-18-2016, 07:58 AM
One HUGE difference between Jones and a QB like Russell today, is rookie salary. Another,r is Jones would be taken to LEARN behind a HoF QB, not thrown to the wolves behind a terrible OLine. I don't want to pick Jones either right now, but there are way too many differences between him and Russell to even make the comparison.

Mojouw
04-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Cardale Jones will never develop into an NFL caliber QB. Dude played like 3 good games against some college defenses and everyone lost their ever loving minds.

He certainly can not read a defense and from several comments he has made I highly doubt he wants to put a ton of time in to the film room and playbook study. Hell, I will just go ahead and say it - I think he is dumb and has not made ANY changes to his game that reflect ANY discernible development on the mental side of his game during his run at Ohio State.

Dumb, stubborn, and wholly reliant on your physical gifts has almost never worked out a the NFL level for a QB prospect. But, yeah, sure, let's draft him.

steelreserve
04-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Really, Cardale Jones? You do not want a QB who was just "good enough" in college. Some poor team will lock on to his physical gifts, but that's a sucker bet. Everyone's physically gifted in the NFL. And QBs with his presence and decision-making are a dime a dozen; you can find them all right over there on the scrap heap.

zulater
04-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Cardale Jones will never develop into an NFL caliber QB. Dude played like 3 good games against some college defenses and everyone lost their ever loving minds.

He certainly can not read a defense and from several comments he has made I highly doubt he wants to put a ton of time in to the film room and playbook study. Hell, I will just go ahead and say it - I think he is dumb and has not made ANY changes to his game that reflect ANY discernible development on the mental side of his game during his run at Ohio State.

Dumb, stubborn, and wholly reliant on your physical gifts has almost never worked out a the NFL level for a QB prospect. But, yeah, sure, let's draft him.

Totally agree! But Tomlin loves those OSU guys. Hope he doesn't try to make a project out of him.:horror: Maybe we'll get lucky and the Browns will take a flyer on him in the 5th or 6th round? :pray:

Born2Steel
04-18-2016, 05:24 PM
I agree with most here, I do not want Cardale Jones as our backup QB. Not saying that at all. I would, however, give Dak Prescott a shot if he was available, I'm thinking 6th rd. I saw a few of his games and he's a very good football player. I would love to see what he can develop into.

polamalubeast
04-18-2016, 06:01 PM
I think Hoyer proved conclusively that he's NOT a starting NFL QB, hence the Texans paying through the nose for a guy like Osweiler who the jury is still very much out on as well.

SO not looking forward to Roethlisberger retiring because the Steelers are going to be in the same boat sooner rather than later.

That does not mean that it will take 20 years this time to replace a HOF QB.I mean, the Steelers had the opportunity to draft a successor to Bradshaw in 1983.....

They will have some opportunity to draft a successor in the coming years, but this is not the time right now.

86WARD
04-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Hoyer has proved time and time again that he's not a starting NFL QB. He is however a guy who can come in and play .500 ball and for that, I would sign him as a back up. $3M per season. It's a fair rate for a back up. If he didn't want that and thought he could compete for a starting gig, then go for it...but you won't land on a team as good as Pittsburgh is right now.

Born2Steel
04-18-2016, 07:17 PM
I would think that both the Broncos and Jets would also be teams interested in Hoyer, and they would be able to offer him a chance to compete for the starting job.

The Jets have Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. Geno would have started over Fitz last season if not for the broken jaw. Not that I'm 'in the know', but that's how it was reported anyway. The Broncos need somebody though. Hoyer already played well there before. I think we can all agree Sanchez is not the answer.

polamalubeast
04-18-2016, 07:20 PM
The Jets have Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. Geno would have started over Fitz last season if not for the broken jaw. Not that I'm 'in the know', but that's how it was reported anyway. The Broncos need somebody though. Hoyer already played well there before. I think we can all agree Sanchez is not the answer.

Geno Smith is Horrible.

Mojouw
04-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Simple fact, Hoyer will go to whoever pays him the most. Not complicated. This is his last contract. He has 3 years to make all the money out of the NFL he is ever going to make.

So $3 million gets you in the conversation. $4 million likely ends the conversation.

Only remaining question is whether or not the Steelers are willing to pay that much for Hoyer to hold a clipboard. Oh, yeah, and start 2-4 games per year.

fansince'76
04-18-2016, 09:14 PM
That does not mean that it will take 20 years this time to replace a HOF QB.I mean, the Steelers had the opportunity to draft a successor to Bradshaw in 1983.....

The QB class of '83 was a once-in-a-generation occurrence, if even then, because no QB class since has even come remotely close, not even 2004.

The Dolphins have been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Marino since 1999. The Broncos had been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Elway since 1998 when they finally broke the bank for Manning in 2012 in a "win at all costs now" move, and now look at them. The Bills have been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Jim Kelly since 1996.

Couple this with the fact that most college QB prospects are woefully unprepared for the NFL simply because of the offenses a lot of colleges run (link (http://deadspin.com/college-qbs-are-unprepared-for-the-nfl-1729636094)) and the pickings are slim to begin with.

Unless the Steelers get supremely lucky, chances are they're going to be waiting for another franchise QB for a while after Ben retires. Just hopefully not 22 years again.

Word of advice: enjoy Reothlisberger while he's still around.

pczach
04-19-2016, 05:34 AM
The QB class of '83 was a once-in-a-generation occurrence, if even then, because no QB class since has even come remotely close, not even 2004.

The Dolphins have been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Marino since 1999. The Broncos had been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Elway since 1998 when they finally broke the bank for Manning in 2012 in a "win at all costs now" move, and now look at them. The Bills have been trying (unsuccessfully) to replace Jim Kelly since 1996.

Couple this with the fact that most college QB prospects are woefully unprepared for the NFL simply because of the offenses a lot of colleges run (link (http://deadspin.com/college-qbs-are-unprepared-for-the-nfl-1729636094)) and the pickings are slim to begin with.

Unless the Steelers get supremely lucky, chances are they're going to be waiting for another franchise QB for a while after Ben retires. Just hopefully not 22 years again.

Word of advice: enjoy Reothlisberger while he's still around.

Spot on.

It's hard to find quality starting quarterbacks let alone Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Many times fans take players for granted. Ben's greatness probably won't be appreciated until he isn't on the field. Every wide receiver that fans think is amazing will suddenly become more pedestrian when he isn't throwing them the ball. He has made this team better from the second he walked on the field his rookie year.

Let's hope the next great Steelers quarterback comes soon after Ben retires......but don't count on it. They are rare and very difficult to find.

zulater
04-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Simple fact, Hoyer will go to whoever pays him the most. Not complicated. This is his last contract. He has 3 years to make all the money out of the NFL he is ever going to make.

So $3 million gets you in the conversation. $4 million likely ends the conversation.

Only remaining question is whether or not the Steelers are willing to pay that much for Hoyer to hold a clipboard. Oh, yeah, and start 2-4 games per year.

Obviously that's possible. But don't buy into the myth that Ben misses games every season to injury. Let me remind you Ben missed no games to injury in 13 or 14. Another way to frame it is that after missing the season opener in 06 due to appendicitis Ben only missed making one start due to injury or illness ( week 11 concussion Ravens 09) from then until game 15 of the 11 season. (he also was held out of the season finale in 07 because playoff seeding was locked in) So the end result is in a 12 year career he's missed a total of 14 starts due to illness (season opener 06) or injury, and in only 3 of those seasons did he miss multiple games. (05 four games,12 three games ,15 four games)

Mojouw
04-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Obviously that's possible. But don't buy into the myth that Ben misses games every season to injury. Let me remind you Ben missed no games to injury in 13 or 14. Another way to frame it is that after missing the season opener in 06 due to appendicitis Ben only missed making one start due to injury or illness ( week 11 concussion Ravens 09) from then until game 15 of the 11 season. (he also was held out of the season finale in 07 because playoff seeding was locked in) So the end result is in a 12 year career he's missed a total of 14 starts due to illness (season opener 06) or injury, and in only 3 of those seasons did he miss multiple games. (05 four games,12 three games ,15 four games)

Excellent points. I think unless the Jets are willing to name him the starter with no competition, it will be the team that ponies up the most guaranteed cash that signs Hoyer. Not sure the Steelers are going to be willing to put $4 million or so on the table for that role.

Dwinsgames
04-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Jones isn't accurate and can't read defenses. He is basically a less athletic version of Vince Young.

to me he is Byron Leftwich without the elongated throwing motion .... he will have some success but he will also look like a hot mess when coverage is good or he has a collapsing pocket , sure he showed some mobility in college ( not a runner by any means ) but in the nfl bigger stronger faster at nearly every spot in the lineup against you his " seeming mobility" will be nil

Born2Steel
04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
I love "All or None" predictions.

zulater
04-19-2016, 03:31 PM
to me he is Byron Leftwich without the elongated throwing motion .... he will have some success but he will also look like a hot mess when coverage is good or he has a collapsing pocket , sure he showed some mobility in college ( not a runner by any means ) but in the nfl bigger stronger faster at nearly every spot in the lineup against you his " seeming mobility" will be nil

If he were what you propose he is he would be worth a late round pick. Leftwich had NFL game. Give me a healthy in his prime Byron Leftwich as my backup and I'll sign on to that any day you like. Leftwich's problem was he was injury prone. Dude couldn't go out for the pre game coin flip without spraining or breaking a limb.

Mojouw
04-19-2016, 03:44 PM
Uhhh. When he was healthy Leftwich was pretty darn good at being a playoff caliber NFL QB. Sure he needed a line to give him a bit more time, but other than that he was accurate, strong armed, savvy QB.

If he could've stayed healthy, Lefty might still be the back-up here.

Dwinsgames
04-20-2016, 03:59 PM
remember this Hoyer was so bad in Texas they paid a kid 72 millions dollars with 7 career starts to replace him ....food for thought

zulater
04-20-2016, 08:35 PM
remember this Hoyer was so bad in Texas they paid a kid 72 millions dollars with 7 career starts to replace him ....food for thought

Mostly because of Hoyer's epic playoff meltdown.