PDA

View Full Version : Which Steelers players take the biggest leap this year?

Cyphon25
04-16-2016, 05:50 PM
I think it is pretty fun to talk about our young players/new starters and who might take the biggest leap this year. I will lay out my guys and what I think.

1. Robert Golden

This is assuming he is the starter when the season starts. A lot of people talk about him as being serviceable or whatever but what I saw in his limited time was a potential ballhawk and playmaker on the defense. He had 1 INT and 4 passes defended and if memory serves one of those was a dropped INT down the sideline where he jumped a route. From what I have heard he puts in the work and is into film study. For my money he takes the biggest leap this season. I am pointing towards the fence and saying he goes from backup DB and ST guy last year to our best DB this year. I have him at 5 INT's.

2. Stephon Tuitt

Not a guy you would really think about taking a leap since he was so good last season but I am looking for him to potentially surpass Heyward as our best DL and play at a pro bowl level. Possibly even make the pro bowl.

3. Bud Dupree

He has the physical tools and flashed at times last year. With a full season under his belt and a chance at a full year of more coaching and less thinking, I think there is a chance for a big leap this year. I might have had him at number 1 with a 10+ sack season but for some reason I always look to LB's to make the big jump in year 3 or 4.

4. Sammie Coates

Not much to say about him as he didn't really get to play a whole lot. We saw what he was capable of in the playoffs and for my point to the fence with him I will say he puts up a better statistical season this year than any Bryant has had so far.

5. Ryan Shazier

Shazier would be at number 1 if injuries didn't remain a concern. I still view him as a player who could potentially wreak Polamalu levels of havoc but he has to stay healthy. If I can put a caveat of a full health season I would make Shazier my number 1.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks.

zulater
04-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Good list! :applaudit: But you have one glaring omission. Jesse James. I really liked what I saw from him in what few opportunities he had. Good hands, caught with his hands instead of his body like many young receivers. Operated well in traffic. Excellent after the catch. And showed glimpses that he can be an asset as a blocker.

Cyphon25
04-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Good list! :applaudit: But you have one glaring omission. Jesse James. I really liked what I saw from him in what few opportunities he had. Good hands, caught with his hands instead of his body like many young receivers. Operated well in traffic. Excellent after the catch. And showed glimpses that he can be an asset as a blocker.

Good point but I wouldn't replace anyone in the top 5 with him. With the signing of Green that relegates James to a minimum of TE2 and maybe 3 depending on Spaeth. I definitely liked what I saw from James in his rookie year though.

Psycho Ward 86
04-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Great list. Hell instead of Jesse James, id put Ladarius Green out there. Lets not forget that he hasnt lived up to expectations yet either but he keeps teasing it. If healthy, watch out world

steelerdude15
04-16-2016, 07:47 PM
I hope Bud can make the biggest leap. We need a three down player who can seal the edge against the run and who can sack the quarterback.

I just hope Ryan can stay healthy for all 16 games this year.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Golson has nowhere to go but up .. but I look for Coates to make a very big impact

steelreserve
04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm going to say Jarvis Jones - not a great season, something more like 7 and a half sacks that he walked into by luck, just so he can become a sought-after commodity and cause us headaches all the way to the end.

Born2Steel
04-17-2016, 01:07 PM
I hope all 5 make huge improvements this season. Nothing would make me happier than to have the #1Offense AND the #1Defense heading into Super Bowl 51.

fansince'76
04-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to have the #1Offense AND the #1Defense heading into Super Bowl 51.

'78 Steelers redux, anyone? :thumbsup: