PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Season Predictions

Chidi29
09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
A game-by-game look at how as to how we stack up against our opponents. These of course will change week-by-week. These may not be popular picks, but I attempted to make these as objective as possible. Needless to say, I'll always be rooting for the team over these predictions, but just because I want something to happen, doesn't mean it will. I'll hit that lottery some day....

1. Atlanta Falcons - L - It's a tough pick, but Atlanta gets the edge. Their running game is apart of their offense, but with Matt Ryan in his third year, they can win without having a strong running game. Ryan is a heady quarterback that won't be phased by our complex defense as so many QBs are. Tony Gonzalez is a top tight end, a position that always seems to be a thorn in our side. Watch out for Harry Douglas in the slot. He'll be an X-Factor for Atlanta after missing all of last year with a torn ACL. Atlanta's offensive line is extremely underrated. Baker, Blalock, Clabo, and Dahl don't get the recognition they deserve and is a good counter against Harrison and Woodley. Starting Kory Biermann over Jamaal Anderson is a smart move. Anderson has been a total bust, and what Biermann lacks in sheer talent he makes up for in effort and grit. Even against a mauler like Flozell, he'll hold his own against the run. Better than what Anderson would do. The linebacking core is solid and adding Dunta Robinson is a big boost for their secondary. In such a close game, the little things will be the ultimate factors, namely turnovers and red zone offense. With Dixon starting, we're more likely to turn the ball over, and without a big-time threat at QB, it'll be that much harder to move the ball in the red zone.

2. Tennessee Titans - W - Despite holding Chris Johnson to just over 50 yards in the league opener last season, Tennessee still took us to overtime before losing 13-10. While that may indicate picking the Titans, the Steelers pull this one out. One statline we saw last year that won't be seen in this game are the rushing totals. The running game was awful against the Titans in 2009 with Parker still the starter. Mendenhall will get his shot and he's clearly the more effective back. Having a center in Pouncey who will be effective against 4-3 defenses with his ability to chip and get to the second level is a big plus. Titans' linebackers shot gaps all game long to blow up the running game. Vince Young did look effective at times last year, but can yet be labeled an effective QB. He's much more vulnerable to making poor decisions than Matt Ryan. Their pass rush will be a concern with Jason Jones leading the way for the Titans. If that can be slowed down, and will with a strong running game, Pittsburgh will win.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - W - It'd be difficult to pick against us. On paper, at least. Clearly the more talented team, the Steelers should win the battle in the trenches. Brian Price and Gerald McCoy are promising rookies, but there is quite a learning curve for the position. Big bodies like Chris Kemoeatu will be able to get a good surge and spring Mendenhall to the second level. Tampas left tackle Donald Penn had a rough offseason and struggled in 2009. Overall, the offensive line is a weakness. Aqib Talib is the only player in the secondary that is cause for any significant amount of concern. Josh Freeman has a big arm, but the Steelers aren't a defense that gives up big plays (at least, not with Troy in the lineup). Disclaimer: Don't treat this game as an easy win. Just ask any fan who thought we'd roll over Oakland, Kansas City, and Cleveland last year. Wins will not be a given in 2010, and generally, should not be assumed.

4. Baltimore Ravens - L - The Ravens are just too talented for a Ben-less offense. As much as it pains me to say it, they are the favorites in the AFC North. I really like Joe Flacco and think he is on the cusp of breaking out. He reacts to pressure as well as nearly any QB, and has all the physical tools you look for in someone under center. Ray Rice is the complete back; he lead the team in receptions in 2009, was a top runner, and a competent blocker. One of the most impressive games I saw last year was their playoff game against the Patriots. New England knew they were going to run it, and still couldn't stop them. That's the mark of a great team. Baltimore's offensive line has been hit with injuries and didn't look too sharp in the preseason, but by Week 4, Micheal Oher and Jared Gaither should be comfortable and healthy at left and right tackle respectively. Matt Birk is a veteran center whose smarts will make up for any decline in skills. Their defensive line is the best against the run in the league. Ngata, Gregg, and rookie Terrence Cody are all tanks that aren't going to be moved. Running the ball, for any team, will be extremely difficult. Combine that with a pass rush that includes a hopefully more motivated (for their sake) Terrell Suggs and underrated rush linebacker Jarrett Johnson, and it'll mask their shortcomings in the secondary. LaDarius Webb will be back by this point, however, to give them another boost.

5. Cleveland Browns - W - All the attempted repression in the world can't hide the memories of a crushing loss to the Browns. Morally speaking, this might be the biggest game on the calender. Like Tampa Bay, the Steelers are the clear favorites on paper. Big Ben will be back, and will have a bye week to get acclimated with the team and take as many snaps from Pouncey and the rookie WRs as needed. The Browns are more stable at quarterback than they were last year, but it isn't saying much. Jake Delhomme proved to be an interception machine at Carolina, and that's a bad combination against an aggressive zone defense. Cleveland is slowly improving, but still a very young team at core positions (NT, WR). The right side of the offensive line didn't see much of an upgrade, and passing the ball will still be a major issue. The team does have excellent depth at CB, but the run defense is still suspect despite the upgrade in size (Rubin and Rogers will be starting). Cleveland won't put on an encore of the last meeting, especially at Heinz Field.

6. Miami Dolphins - W - A relatively easy choice against a tougher-than-you'd think type of team. The biggest weakness for the Dolphins is their front seven. Most notably, at nose tackle. Jason Ferguson retired (he was suspended for half the season anyway), and the Dolphins don't have a strong replacement for him. Randy Starks has drawn praise, but is undersized. Phillip Merling was lost for the year after tearing his Achilles' tendon. Cameron Wake is a rising pass rusher, but there isn't an ideal 'backer opposite of him. Koa Misi is undersized as well. The team's secondary is a issue, albeit a smaller one. Sean Smith has been benched for Week 1. Miami's offense is better than you might think with lynchpins in Long, Carey, Brown and Williams in the backfield, and Marshall, but the defense is what's going to get them into trouble. The Steelers should be able to gash and spread them out at will.

7. New Orleans Saints - L - While I think the Saints will take a step back and not even win their division, they'll still be too tough for Pittsburgh. The best way to pick apart our defense is by having a QB that is smart and can get the ball out of his hand quickly a la Kurt Warner. That takes away our ability to get pressure which is the best way we create mistakes. Brees is one of the best in the league. His arsenal of weapons is increasing, too. Colston has always been "the guy", but Robert Meachem broke out in 2009. He'll continue to improve this season. Their offensive line offers a good mixture of run and pass blockers be it Evans, Nicks, or Bushrod. It's unlikely to see the Saints create as many turnovers as they did last season, but they do boast excellent cornerback depth.

Chidi29
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
8. Cincinnati Bengals - L - Both games against Cincy will be fun to watch because the teams are so even. If Carson Palmer can be stable, which isn't a slam dunk, the Bengals will be in good shape. Palmer looked awful against the Jets with the majority of his passes sailing. It's safe to assume every Bengals' fan has their fingers crossed that was a fluke rather than a trend. Signing Terrell Owens is a risky move to some, but it shouldn't cause many problems. Only when Owens gets complacenet do problems arise. Cedric Benson isn't as good as people may think, but he's obviously turned the corner after busting in Chicago. Bernard Scott is a speedy backup who didn't show many problems adjusting to the NFL after coming out of a small school. Kyle Cook and Bobbie Williams are underrated lineman, and if Andre Smith can give the team anything, it'll be a bonus. Antwan Odom returns at defensive end after tearing his Achilles last year. He left the season leading the league with eight sacks. Domato Peko isn't much of a pass rusher, but he's solid against the run and gets overlooked by non-Bengals fans. I'm not thrilled with the idea of moving Michael Johnson to LB, but the group isn't bad. Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall is a top three cornerback tandem in the league, if not higher. Too bad they don't have much safety help behind them. It's a tough call and is another one of those games that will come down to the little things, but the Ocho/Owens combo will be tough to stop and the Bengals' offensive line has shown the ability to push around our d-line.

9. New England Patriots - W - Tom Brady is still Tom Brady. Bill Belichick is still Bill Belichick. But the Patriots aren't the Patriots anymore. Of course, they'll be competitive, but no longer this intimidating threat to be feared by everyone who plays them. It seems more and more likely that Logan Mankins will go through with his promise of holding out for the season, and the team lose Nick Kazcur early in training camp. Sebastian Vollmer is on the rise, but the line took a big hit by losing Mankins. Although not a deal breaker because they haven't had one for a couple seasons, the running game is always an event to watch. Virtually a dartboard that runs, you'll never know what back will be featured from week to week. Randy Moss may be declining, but he's still a big play guy. Wes Welker is still a more effective slot guy at 85% than most guys are healthy. But behind them, the depth is lacking. Julian Edeleman seems to be a bit overrated, and there isn't a name worth mentioning behind him. Brandon Tate's knees are a concern, and Taylor Price is just a rookie buried on the depth chart. Ben Watson left to play in Cleveland. The defensive line also took a sizeable hit after losing Ty Warren for the year. Vince Wilfork will still clog the middle, and Myron Pryor was an impressive rookie, but their defensive line isn't as good as it once was. The team's pass rush is another area of concern especially after releasing Derrick Burgess. I'm not a huge fan of the team using a hybrid defense - a combination between a 3-4 and 4-3 - either. Leigh Bodden, the team's top corner, just went down the for season. New England is still the best coached team in the league, and still have a top QB, but that alone isn't enough to beat us.

10. Oakland Raiders - L - *Is bombarded with hate mail*. Keep in mind that we've lost to Oakland the past two meetings. They've been upsets, but losses nonetheless. Oakland is a sleeper and could wind up winning the AFC West (*now swimming under hate mail*). They had no quarterback last year. They had a 6'5, 280+ person who was just getting a paycheck. That instability lead to their offense stalling out, and their defense not being able to support multiple miscues a game. By adding Jason Campbell, who isn't a great fit for the team (a West Coast QB playing in a vertical offense), they're at least stable. This is a team that beat Pittsburgh, Cincy, and Philly. It's not like they can't beat "superior" opponents. Until we've proven we can overcome our horrible red zone offense and game-changing miscues, Oakland should be the favorite (*crushed under the weight of hate mail*).

11. Buffalo Bills - W - This one doesn't need a lot of explaining. Trent Edwards may be the team's best quarterback, but he hasn't been the same after getting concussed by Adrian Wilson, and will get destroyed by our defense. The running backs are above average, but without any receivers, teams can key in on the run. Run defense is what we do best, and if you take that away from Buffalo, they have no offense. Their line is still very flimsy. Buffalo is making the switch to the 3-4, and getting the pieces for that is a work in progress. With upheavel on the field and off it (It's nearly a whole new coaching staff), Buffalo will be a bottom feeder.

12. Baltimore Ravens - L - The reasons from before haven't changed. Another plus for the Ravens are the additions of Anquan Boldin and to a lesser extent, TJ Houshmandzadeh (triple word score!). They finally have a receiver in Boldin that can be a playmaker. Boldin is also a guy that isn't going to be afraid to go across the middle against punishing defenses like ours. He came back from that scary hit against Eric Smith. He's not scared of us. Baltimore completes the sweep of us here.

13. Cincinnatti Bengals - W - Like I said, these will be ultra-competitve games. We snag one here. Maybe Palmer gets a little erratic, and if he does, this is a defense that will capitalize on it. Slow down Benson and the offense is greatly hindered. Hopefully a player like Emmanuel Sanders will have matured and can be a valuable asset in the slot so we don't have to throw at Hall and Joseph all day.

14. New York Jets - L - Just like these guys too much. Having one of the best lines in the game, they can slow down our pass rush. Dustin Keller isn't a top tight end in the league, but as stated at the beginning, tight ends (especially very athletic ones a la Jermichael Finely) have been known to give us fits. It's an aggressive defense with a deep cornerback group. Big Ben can be great, but it remains to be seen whether or not he'll be consistent. If he's having an off game, it'll be tough sledding for the Steelers.

15. Carolina Panthers - W - Matt Moore got the team back in the win column after replacing Delhomme, but he isn't a QB to write home about. With the ability to shut down the run, taking away Williams and Stewart takes away most of their offense. Dwayne Jarrett never put things together. Steve Smith is the lone target. The interior defensive line has melted down; we should be able to have a field day running on it.

16. Cleveland Browns - W - Finishing things up on a good note, we beat Cleveland in Cleveland. Same reasons apply. Avoid turnovers, be effecient in the red zone, and the more talented team will win out. I'll give you a hint as to who that team is: It's not Cleveland.

Final Record: 9-7

Indo
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Excellent analysis, as usual. But I think we go 11-5----split with Baltimore and beat the Raiders. While I do agree that all of your points are valid, I think that we carry a chip on our shoulders for dropping that one last year. My gut says that we beat the Saints, too. But that may just be the Homer in me!

venom
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I think we can split with Baltimore and maybe beat the Raiders &/or the Jets to bring us to 11-5 .

salamander
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm feelin' 11-5 for us this season.

BPS3akaWirels3
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm betting on an AFC Championship lose..

Chidi29
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
I dunno. I think you guys are being overly optimistic. These are similar predictions I saw last year. Can you say that we're the same team talent wise? I think we took a step back.

Very tough division, and it's very possible we start out as bad as 1-3 with Dixon in the lineup. Only lose two more games the rest of the way, beating the likes of Cincy (twice) Baltimore (once), New England, the Jets, New Orleans? It seems unlikely.

Devilsdancefloor
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM
homer in me says 11-5, but reality 9-7 is where i see us at the end of the year, but i think what we where lacking in depth on D last year we have made up so that is why the homer of 11-5

steelerdude15
09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I say 10-6 or 11-5.

7willBheaven
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I dunno. I think you guys are being overly optimistic. These are similar predictions I saw last year. Can you say that we're the same team talent wise? I think we took a step back.

Very tough division, and it's very possible we start out as bad as 1-3 with Dixon in the lineup. Only lose two more games the rest of the way, beating the likes of Cincy (twice) Baltimore (once), New England, the Jets, New Orleans? It seems unlikely.

I think you could be wrong with the Steelers "taking a step back". The only huge change or loss from last year (excluding the whole Ben suspended thing) is Holmes is gone. However...we still have Ward, Wallace and Heath...and brought in 2 dependable vets in El and Battle...add to that our 2 promising rookie WRs and I think we're back to where we were with WR talent. We've upgraded our OL with a new coach and C Pouncey...yes we lost Colon and have Adams now...but I dont think we'll see as huge of a difference as some think. We have a HEALTHY starting D...with younger and better backups than last year at a lot of positions (namely OLB, S, CB). Also a new ST coach that should improve ST some overall. Yes we didnt go out and sign/trade for "bigger named" talent or anything, but we rarely do. I think we have improved overall not gotten worse.

Steeltreal
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
We have a HEALTHY starting D...with younger and better backups than last year at a lot of positions (namely OLB, S, CB).

I guess cutting Townsend and Carter makes us younger.

Timmons should get all the looks at OLB because of the depth on the inside, the 2 rookies have done nothing in preseason and I don't expect them to see any real playing time. Better

Gay might step up his play to push Mcfadden. Better, but can we not wait till the last week of the season to get the first INT

Safety is the most vulnerable. Troy might play it safe and could have peaked, yeah i said it.

The Duke
09-08-2010, 11:03 PM
we didnt go out and sign/trade for "bigger named" talent or anything

And that's why people always say the steelers haven't improved. Of course, they see baltimore and cincy trading and signing big name wide receivers and that's instantly an improvement.

I prefer the homegrown talent

Safety is the most vulnerable. Troy might play it safe and could have peaked, yeah i said it.

he's still troy though. He'd be disruptive at 50% of his talent

oneforthetoe
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I think this team is 11-5 with Ben for the whole season. That record would be equal to a 12 -4 or 13 -3 a few seasons ago, but there is no denying the fact that our division is much tougher. With Ben being out for 4 games, and the improvement of the division as a whole, I'm going with 10-6, because I think we will be better by the end of the year as well.

tube517
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Depends on how we start.

If we start: Then, I think we'll go:

4-0 12-4
3-1 11-5
2-2 10-6
1-3 9-7
0-4 8-8

Ben can go 8-4 realistically in the last 12 games. Barring injuires, that's my humble opinion.

Steeltreal
09-09-2010, 12:28 AM
he's still troy though. He'd be disruptive at 50% of his talent
50% Troy will miss 50% more tackles how does that make sense

Steeldude
09-09-2010, 12:53 AM
best record: 10-6

worst record: 7-9

the O-line hasn't shown any improvement. the 1st-string defense did not look good in pre-season. each year it appears the steelers' players become more undisciplined. learning new dance steps after making a routine play seems to be the focal point for some players.

the defense looks old. they fell apart in the 4th.

the first 4 games the steelers have kordell part 2 starting at QB. maybe it will work out, but if teams are smart they will crowd the box and force kordell2 to throw.

as for coaching, i have never been impressed with tomlin....yet. he has shown to be a talker. IMO, his SB win was like switzer's.

solardave
09-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Don't base you predictions on preseason. I don't. I say 12-4 because our D will be number 1 at the end of the season. We will hold onto leads by running with Rashard and Redman and Dixon will play better than you think. Some of you are basing your predictions on last year saying the Oline hasn't showed any improvement. The FO said we're going to run more and Pouncey seems to spark some primal in these guys to run block. There's an improvement. If opposing D's are geared up to stop the run it'll be easier to pass.
Yeah, 12-4 is the ticket! I'm sticking by this folks.

Galax Steeler
09-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I will go with 11-5 as well if Troy stays healthy and we can get through these first 4 games we should be ok.

X-Terminator
09-09-2010, 05:52 AM
I picked them to go 10-6 last year and was a game off. I'm picking the same record this year. Will it be enough to get in the playoffs? Well, we'll see. 10 wins may not be enough this year.

zulater
09-09-2010, 05:56 AM
11-5

salamander
09-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the "experts" always pick us to not do too much each season?

SirHulka
09-09-2010, 07:09 AM
I'll take a stab at it.

I predict 4-12.

SteelMember
09-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I'll take a stab at it.

I predict 4-12.

No. No. No. The Steelers, not the Browns. :chuckle:

I'd say 10-6. For "our" guys.

SirHulka
09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I know. 4-12. And I'm being generous. he he he

SteelGhost
09-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm a half full glass guy, I'll say 11-5. I can see some improvement this year IMHO, RB's corps with Redman instead of ex-Fast Willie , Pouncey is better ( I know, too soon to know, but I trust him) than Hartwig, Aaron's and Troy's return, new ST and OL coaches.... some vets returned to the team and will help in the locker room and rookies development.... my concerns are Flozell Adams, Gay, situational play-calling and 4th quarter defense. And despite I'm a DD supporter, I'm a little nervous for the 4 games he'll start, BUT less nervous if The Statue or Batch would start.

That said ... a win against the Falcs will give the team a boost to begin strong. And the Raiders is a MUST win game, it's at Heinz :noidea: Maybe the game against the Jets will be very important playoff wise.

Just my .02

steeldevil
09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Depends on how we start.

If we start: Then, I think we'll go:

4-0 12-4
3-1 11-5
2-2 10-6
1-3 9-7
0-4 8-8

Ben can go 8-4 realistically in the last 12 games. Barring injuires, that's my humble opinion.

I can see this myself.

steelpride12
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Im going to say 11-5 and I have since the off season. I think if the defense can stay healthy(Troy, Smith) and the young receivers can step up as well as the running game to take the load off of Dixon and Ben then we can be improved from last season and pull out at least 2 extra wins.

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM

How exactly did we take a step back from last year? Santonio is gone but our WRs look to possibly be better overall. It's a very solid group. The big loss of course is Ben for 4 games but I think a split there will be good enough. Troy and Aaron are back healthy, McFadden is back, we added veterans Foote and Allen and Carter is gone. Our defense is definitely improved. The OL should be better with Pouncey at C. We lost Colon but I think that Flozell is going to do a good job.

Don't forget all of the blown games in the 4th quarter last year. We lost 5 games by 3 points! If the defense again plays like it did in 2008, it'll be a big turnaround.

O'Malley
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I'll take a stab at it.

I predict 4-12.

:crazy:We are not talking about the Browns. We are talking about the Steelers. I say 11-5.

BigBenFn7
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking 10-6 or 9-7 this year. I really hope for 10 wins and the playoffs though.

siss
09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Atl: W- Steelers don't lose to many home openers
@Ten: L- first road game will be tough without Ben
@ Tampa Bay: W who is even on the Bucs these days?
Bal: L- Once again without Ben we lose, besides that I always predict we split with Baltimore
Bye
Stains: W At home against the Browns, Ben comes back and plays the game of his life
@ Dolphins: W Wild cat has nothing on the Steelers defense
@ Saints: L eh they are the champs, I predict a loss now, but we shall see as the game gets closer
@ Bengals: W The steelers owe them one and Ocho sucko and TO go at it on national TV
Patriots: L but once again we shall see how it goes as the game gets closer
Raiders: W and the score is like 56 nothing and Ben plays a perfect game for the second time this season
@ Bills: W who is on the Bills anyway?
@ Ravens: W we owe them one and we aren't handy capped without our franchise QB
Bungals W they aren't as good as people think people!
Jets L but its really really close
Panthers W Ben has another perfect game
@ Cleveland W Stains are the stains
11-5 not a bad year and we might go 12-4
We go 2-2 without Ben. Winning Atlanta and Tampa Bay and losing to Tenn. and Ravens (close game).

Our defense will be like 2008.

The oline will not suck and Pouncey will get rookie of the year.

When Ben returns he puts the entire team on his shoulders and plays like every game is the super bowl. There will be talk of him winning the MVP, but it will never happen. He is however the steelers MVP.

We finish the season 11-5

They will make the playoffs but it will take a last minute TD in the last game of the season to clinch the playoffs.

The steelers will win the super bowl.

Roger Goodell will hand Ben the Lombardi trophy but only before he leans in and whispers in his ear " I don't ever want to see in my office ever again".

They Rooneys will throw Ben a 29th birthday party at Hines field.

JayC
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
i'm gonna say 10-6. 2-2 without ben and 8-4 with him.

i have a bad feeling about this sunday..i hope im wrong

Edman
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
At first, I was optimistic about this season, now I'm not so sure. I predicted 11-5 in this original post, but after some lengthy thought, I just don't know if PIT will even duplicate 9-7. You can't overstep the offseason tribulations, Ben's absense, and poo-poo it off as something minor. Don't forget, the Steelers struggled and even lost to bad teams last year even WITH Ben.

With Ben, our offense was anemic in the Red Zone, and our scoring was mediocre. If we can't do any better than that with Ben, it's almost nightmarish to think what the results will be with Kordell Stewart reincarnate back there.

I also question the mental makeup of this team. Throughout the preseason, the Steelers haven't shown many encouraging signs. They still have brainfarts in the Red Zone, they still feel unorganized and inefficient, they're still committing stupid penalties, and they seem to lack the intensity and speed we've been used to seeing. They wilt when the going got tough and collapsed under pressure. It's like they've lost their swagger, discipline, and focus. This falls on Tomlin, who is quickly establishing a reputation of being a big-talking black Barry Switzer. This year is a lithmus test for Tomlin's ability to coach. The Honeymoon is over. It's time to take charge. If he keeps going on with this chummy business, we're going to see more seasons like 2009.

Right now, I don't see this team winning any more than nine games. I'm still reeling from last year's embarrassment.

vasteeler
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM

i have a bad feeling about this sunday..i hope im wrong

you should edit that out.......no bad feelings aloud

Chidi29
09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I think you could be wrong with the Steelers "taking a step back". The only huge change or loss from last year (excluding the whole Ben suspended thing) is Holmes is gone. However...we still have Ward, Wallace and Heath...and brought in 2 dependable vets in El and Battle...add to that our 2 promising rookie WRs and I think we're back to where we were with WR talent. We've upgraded our OL with a new coach and C Pouncey...yes we lost Colon and have Adams now...but I dont think we'll see as huge of a difference as some think. We have a HEALTHY starting D...with younger and better backups than last year at a lot of positions (namely OLB, S, CB). Also a new ST coach that should improve ST some overall. Yes we didnt go out and sign/trade for "bigger named" talent or anything, but we rarely do. I think we have improved overall not gotten worse.

You can't just step over the Ben suspension. That's like saying Ben had a great offseason. Sure, there was that whole "accused of sexual assault" thing, but hey, did you see his short game improved out on the golf course?!?

Losing Holmes is huge, too. El and Battle aren't nearly on that level. Not even close.

Flozell is a better run blocker, but the pass protection is where Colon really exceled. His loss will hurt a lot more once Ben comes back and we ran the offense we did last year.

Chidi29
09-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't base you predictions on preseason. I don't. I say 12-4 because our D will be number 1 at the end of the season. We will hold onto leads by running with Rashard and Redman and Dixon will play better than you think. Some of you are basing your predictions on last year saying the Oline hasn't showed any improvement. The FO said we're going to run more and Pouncey seems to spark some primal in these guys to run block. There's an improvement. If opposing D's are geared up to stop the run it'll be easier to pass.
Yeah, 12-4 is the ticket! I'm sticking by this folks.

What makes you say I'm basing what my predicitons off of the preseason? I'm not, at least in regards to wins and losses.

BlastFurnace
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
6-10

....and yes...I'm being serious. This team will start off slow and Ben comes back just in time for the roughest part of the schedule.

Nadroj 20
09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure about a loss to Atlanta in our home opener, we always play well first home game of season. It is a little different this year but still I think we win Game #1

Shoes
09-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I feel pretty good at 11-5.

Craic
09-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I say 3-4 in the first 7,

12-4 for the season. Yes, I believe we run the table starting with the Bengals. Our rookies receivers will start clicking with the offense, and Pouncy's rookie mistakes will have already been corrected Yes, I believe the kid is going to be that good for some reason). Ben will cause a loss or two in the first three games. That is simply because he won't be quite up to gamespeed yet, or used to the speed we have at receiver now. However, we will hit our stride, and Ben will be Ben, pulling last minute drives, wins, and "how in the world did he make that pass" plays out of his rear-end. Redman will turn into a grind the clock wrecking ball 4th quarter RB, and yes, we will be cursing Adams all year (well, you all, not me-http://emoticons.msn-beta.com/big/36.gif I just wont be happy!)

solardave
09-10-2010, 02:45 AM
What makes you say I'm basing what my predicitons off of the preseason? I'm not, at least in regards to wins and losses.

I wasn't talking about your analysis Chidi. I was referring to some of the others saying how we didn't look good in preseason. I just think last year was not normal and this year we improve.

solardave
09-10-2010, 04:12 PM

12-4 for the season. Yes, I believe we run the table starting with the Bengals. Our rookies receivers will start clicking with the offense, and Pouncy's rookie mistakes will have already been corrected Yes, I believe the kid is going to be that good for some reason). Ben will cause a loss or two in the first three games. That is simply because he won't be quite up to gamespeed yet, or used to the speed we have at receiver now. However, we will hit our stride, and Ben will be Ben, pulling last minute drives, wins, and "how in the world did he make that pass" plays out of his rear-end. Redman will turn into a grind the clock wrecking ball 4th quarter RB, and yes, we will be cursing Adams all year (well, you all, not me-http://emoticons.msn-beta.com/big/36.gif I just wont be happy!)

I'm with you Preacher!! 12-4.

Chidi29
09-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I wasn't talking about your analysis Chidi. I was referring to some of the others saying how we didn't look good in preseason. I just think last year was not normal and this year we improve.

Gotcha. My fault for assuming otherwise.

Chidi29
09-10-2010, 04:16 PM

If we start out sub-par and if we to assume that you think we go 2-2 with Dixon, go 1-2 with Ben back in the lineup, how can you expect us to suddenly be able to run the table and take down eight straight?

BlastFurnace
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
If we start out sub-par and if we to assume that you think we go 2-2 with Dixon, go 1-2 with Ben back in the lineup, how can you expect us to suddenly be able to run the table and take down eight straight?

Honestly, the exact same scenerio nearly happened in 1995. We were without NOD for the first several games and started out 3-4. Then we reeled off 8 straight wins and lost the last game only because Yancey Thigpen dropped a TD pass against Green Bay. It could happen.

I just think this team is going to really struggle this year. I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be cheering all the way from Texas to make it happen.

Chidi29
09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Honestly, the exact same scenerio nearly happened in 1995. We were without NOD for the first several games and started out 3-4. Then we reeled off 8 straight wins and lost the last game only because Yancey Thigpen dropped a TD pass against Green Bay. It could happen.

I just think this team is going to really struggle this year. I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be cheering all the way from Texas to make it happen.

Good point, and I didn't know we actually did it.

Still think it's a very difficult thing to accomplish, especially since that means beating some really good teams along the way (Ravens, Bengals, Jets).

solardave
09-11-2010, 02:19 AM
I think we are going to win with Dixon. If the defense stays healthy we can win these first four games. Everyone is crowning Baltimore and Cincy and the season hasn't even started yet. This happens every year and the so called experts are rarely right about any of their predictions. I see us at #1 with the Ravens at #2 and possibly the Browns at #3. I think the Bengals fall flat because Palmer is on the downside. Just my opinion.

JayC
01-03-2011, 12:38 AM
i hate to bump really old threads (i wont do it again)

but i felt this is a good time too look back at what everyone thought we'd be before the season started for fun.

2 wins better than i expected, nice job :D

venom
01-03-2011, 05:59 AM
I predicted 11-5 , not to bad I guess .