PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers all-time NFL Draft classes: No. 2, 1970

polamalubeast
04-10-2016, 04:16 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/04/pittsburgh_steelers_all-time_nfl_draft_c.html

zulater
04-11-2016, 07:27 AM
I can't believe the 87 draft with Woodson. Lloyd, Hoge and Hardy Nickerson wasn't considered top 5 by these people? I'm fine with the top 3, but no way should the 87 class be listed below the 2010 draft!

pczach
04-11-2016, 02:39 PM
I can't believe the 87 draft with Woodson. Lloyd, Hoge and Hardy Nickerson wasn't considered top 5 by these people? I'm fine with the top 3, but no way should the 87 class be listed below the 2010 draft!

That really was an unbelievable draft. Three of those guys were absolute studs with one hall-of-famer that was maybe the most complete corner to ever play the game in Woodson.

Maybe they don't give as much credit if the players don't stay with the team that drafted them their entire career. Nickerson wasn't with the Steelers for most of his career. I'm just guessing, but maybe that's why.

86WARD
04-11-2016, 03:19 PM

I agree. That class is pretty good. I'd take that any year...actually, that class would be perfect to duplicate in 2016.

zulater
04-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Thomas Everett and Tim Johnson were also part of that 87 draft. Everett had a pretty nice run at safety for the Steelers, and Johnson was a part of the d-line rotation for about 4 seasons.

So comparing 2010 to 87 by order of player's value as opposed to round.

Rod Woodson vs Antonio Brown. In two or three years this could be a push. In 5 years this could be ad 2010 (AB). But as of now you have a first ballot HOF'er, a member of the NFL's all time 75 season team vs a perennial All Pro just coming into the prime of his career. At the moment advantage 87

Gregg Lloyd vs Maurkice Pouncey again this is one that could be revisited in 5 years and get a different outcome. But in this case I doubt it. No knock on Pouncey who I believe has many good years left, but even if he's the best center in the league for the next 5 years I don't think his overall value to the team will be as great as Lloyd. The Steelers had a great defense for most of the 90's. Gregg Lloyd was the heart and soul of those teams. So strong ad 87, and while it will get closer I don't ever see the final outcome changing.

Hardy Nickerson vs Emanuel Sanders edge again to 87. Both of these players played their best football elsewhere. But still Hardy Nickerson was a Steeler starter for 5 seasons. 3 times he led the Steelers in tackles, so don't claim he wasn't a good player with the Steelers. Sanders never really had anything close to a breakthrough season until he got to Denver. In his 4 seasons as a Steeler the best he ever put up was the sort of production one would expect from your 3 receiver (his last 2 seasons with us) his fist two seasons he produced as a 4 receiver. Nickerson was a 5 time Pro Bowler ( when that meant something) and two time first team All NFL. Sanders is going to have a good career, but I think when he's done he wont be as good at what he did as Hardy was at what he did. Advantage 87, now and forever more.

Merrill Hoge vs Jason Worilds This one's a little tougher, but I still go 87 because Hoge had more heart. Hoge had 6 very productive seasons with the Steelers and had one of the all time great postseasons by a Steeler back (89) Worilds only started 37 games in his 5 Steeler seasons and never approached what was expected of him. Hoge started 79 games in his 6 Steeler seasons and was a classic overachiever. Actually this one wasn't so close after all. 87 by a lot.

Thomas Everett vs Jonathan Dwyer. Again not close, Everett was a 5 year starter for the Steelers at safety,with 67 starts, over 300 tackles (peaked in 89 with 89 tackles) and 16 interceptions. Dwyer had 6 starts as a Steeler, with one decent year(623 yds with 2 td's in 2012). Big ad 87.

Think we can close the book on this one.