PDA

View Full Version : Throwback: Levon Kirkland

Mojouw
04-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Decided this gets its own thread, because it makes me smile.

This quote says it all: "His 6'1" 270 lbs. frame mixed with unbelievable speed for his size..."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2016/4/7/11383732/steelers-film-room-throwback-thursday-levon-kirkland-monster-in-the-middle

Guy was an absolute monster. Never see someone his size playing LB in the middle like he did anymore. Amazing when he used to cover 20 yards downfield.

tube517
04-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Absolutely the unsung member of that great quartet

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

86WARD
04-08-2016, 08:10 PM
He was a beast. I'd take him on my team any day. He was the size of a house and moved like a gazelle. He should've been team MVP in 95. I think he did eventually get it later in the 90s...

pczach
04-09-2016, 04:55 AM
Levon was always a favorite of mine. I was always amazed at how well he could move. He was terrific at covering the tight end running the deep middle of the field. Maybe the best middle linebacker at doing that since I've been watching Steelers football. When you look at how big he was, that just doesn't make sense.

I think he is very underrated. All the linebackers around him got the attention with flash plays. There wasn't a lot going on up the middle against that defense.

fansince'76
04-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Still remember his INT of Elway early in the '97 AFCCG like it was yesterday...

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j4l-zh3XqwM7sFWp39shRpUv3NI=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6301921/kirkland_int_q1.0.gif

zulater
04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
If the Steelers would have won SB 30 (thanks Neil O'Dummy :mad: ) Kirkland would have received votes for games MVP and possibly even have won it. At his best (as he was in that game) he was an exceptional inside linebacker. I would put him slightly below James Farrior at peak value. (of curse Lambert is the best ever at that position) Anyway Kirkland's only problem was he lost control of his weight at a relatively early age, and once that happened his game declined pretty quickly. I think he lost his eye of the tiger a little bit too, and I can't hold that against him. Those 98 and 99 teams were pretty blah.