PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers Trade-up in 2016?

Shoes
04-07-2016, 01:13 PM
The Steelers tried trading up in last years draft, what do you think? Do they make it happen this year and for what player and round? It will be interesting on draft day...man I wish it would get here!

st33lersguy
04-07-2016, 01:40 PM
With only 4 picks in the first five rounds, I don't think they will want to trade at least too far up and give too much up

ALLD
04-07-2016, 01:44 PM
No, they go with best DE or CB available first two rounds.

86WARD
04-07-2016, 03:23 PM
How often have they historically?

polamalubeast
04-07-2016, 03:26 PM
How often have they historically?

In the first round under Colbert?....2 times(2003 for Polamalu and 2006 for Santonio Holmes)

steelreserve
04-07-2016, 03:52 PM
No. It seems to me that we have 3 real positions of need, and in each of the first two rounds, if one particular guy is not there, an equally talented guy will be at one of the positions.

In R3 and on, who knows - if a guy we really want is there and is head and shoulders above the rest, the cost is a lot lower to go and get him, next year's picks are in play also ... those are the kinds of trades we seem to do a lot more often. And there do seem to be a fair number of those borderline R1 or borderline R2 guys this year who might wind up within reach there at positions we need.

Psycho Ward 86
04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I say no, but if Vernon Hargreaves drops to the late teens, I think we have to at least consider it

Born2Steel
04-07-2016, 06:38 PM
If any move is made, I would rather trade back and get additional picks. We have 7 picks, I think?

pczach
04-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Already being down a fifth round pick makes it more likely that they move down to acquire picks than to move up. But anything is possible.

In a perfect world, a player the Steelers really want is still on the board and they are able to work a deal with a team below them to get an additional pick, and are still able to get the player they wanted. It's a possibility in the first round if the most highly rated players on their board are gone at #25. If they don't think there is a player that is worthy of that pick, or they think there is a player that will still be available a few picks later, they may make that move if a team is willing to move up.

What if they really like Kenny Clark, and they believe he would still be available 5-10 picks later. Why not trade down a few picks if they think they can and still get him?

ALLD
04-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Steelers historically only trade with a few other teams anyway, so the odds are quite low. Please don't get cute either. Pick some defense to carry us to #7.

Dwinsgames
04-07-2016, 07:10 PM
we just do not have the ammunition

Steeldude
04-07-2016, 07:22 PM
No, they go with best DE or CB available first two rounds.

I think they will BPA a OLB, S, CB or DL. IMO, I don't think a worthy CB will be available in the first round.

Shoes
04-07-2016, 08:16 PM
I could see the Steelers trading up for Billings if he's still there around 20 and they really want him. I believe the Bengals have him in their sights and they pick @ 24.

teegre
04-07-2016, 11:50 PM
It depends on how the first round unfolds.

If Jalen Ramsey drops to 10, I might trade the first four picks to acquire him.

If he drops to 12, I would probably trade the first three picks.

If he drops to 15, I would absolutely trade the first two picks.

Psycho Ward 86
04-08-2016, 12:56 AM
What would you guys give up to trade up for Vernon Hargreaves if he drops to the late teens? I would shamelessly drop our 3rd round pick or at least consider it

steelreserve
04-08-2016, 02:52 AM
It depends on how the first round unfolds.

If Jalen Ramsey drops to 10, I might trade the first four picks to acquire him.

If he drops to 12, I would probably trade the first three picks.

If he drops to 15, I would absolutely trade the first two picks.

I would say there are higher odds that you will be beaten to death with a cue ball RIGHT NOW than any of those things happening.

What would you guys give up to trade up for Vernon Hargreaves if he drops to the late teens? I would shamelessly drop our 3rd round pick or at least consider it

That would be an interesting possibility, and I'd probably do it. On the other hand, if he's available, that probably means so are Alexander and Jackson, so I would also be tempted to stay where I was and save the extra pick, which is a decent one. Maybe I'd trade next year's 3rd though.

86WARD
04-08-2016, 05:45 AM
Much, much, much better odds that they trade down. They need picks, they can't afford to give picks away.

teegre
04-08-2016, 06:28 AM
I would say there are higher odds that you will be beaten to death with a cue ball RIGHT NOW than any of those things happening.

The first one has a slight chance... but, yeah, it is pretty safe for me to go into The Hungry Stick.

teegre
04-08-2016, 06:55 AM

The trades that I listed for Ramsey are the "value chart" costs.

So, at 15, the cost would be the R3 pick.

Now... for Ramsey, it's a no-brainer. For Hargreaves, it's not quite as automatic. I think Hargreaves is much better than the rest of the CBs, but I might try next year's R3 pick (or this year's R4 pick).

hawaiiansteeler
04-08-2016, 10:54 PM
IF the Steelers want Andrew Billings, they will most likely have to trade up in front of the Redskins at #21 who just lost their NT Terrance Knighton in free agency to the Patriots**.

doing so would require our 3rd round draft choice...