PDA

View Full Version : Report: Will Johnson Signs Two Year Deal With Giants

Shoes
04-04-2016, 04:55 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) APRIL 4, 2016 AT 03:37 PM
Another former Pittsburgh Steeler is off the market. H-Back Will Johnson has signed a two year contract with the New York Giants, according to
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/report-will-johnson-signs-two-year-deal-giants/

Look for the Steelers to draft Vannett or Higbee. :stirthepot:

zulater
04-04-2016, 05:07 PM
I think the Steelers feel Roosevelt Nix has big upside in that role.

steelreserve
04-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Oh no, not the 4th-string tight end. Season's over; we're playing for the #1 overall pick.

Shoes
04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Oh no, not the 4th-string tight end. Season's over; we're playing for the #1 overall pick.

Spaeth wont finish the season without getting hurt. Vannett R3 or Higbee R4

Dwinsgames
04-04-2016, 05:23 PM
I was all for drafting Higbee prior to us signing a FA TE , now we have a defense to work on

but I still think Higbee is one of the bigger hidden gems of this draft class and when it is all said and done may end up being the top TE to come out of this class when we look back at it in a dozen years

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Good. Now the steelers cant make a stupid move like having 2 full backs on the roster. Will Johnson was a good fullback for us though. Best wishes to him. Looking forward to Glock 45 blasting linebackers for Leveon for years to come!

polamalubeast
04-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Johnson was useless.The Steelers are better when they use 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.I hope the steelers will use this formation more often in 2016.

steelreserve
04-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Spaeth wont finish the season without getting hurt. Vannett R3 or Higbee R4

I'm really not too concerned about what happens if Matt Spaeth is injured. It's happened before and the effect on the team has been minimal. I am perfectly comfortable with James filling that role, even if auditioning for the #1 spot would've made a lot of people nervous. Our depth at TE is the best it's been in years and this is a horrible year to draft one.

hawaiiansteeler
04-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Steelers free agent FB Will Johnson signs with New York Giants

By: Simon A Chester

With Roosevelt Nix taking over the fullback duties for the Steelers last season, Will Johnson saw quite a drop in snaps, playing as a back up tight end and special teamer almost exclusively .

It was no surprise the Steelers did not rush to sign him before the free agent market opened, especially with Nix under contract, but finally it appears the free agent has found a new team, according to Steelers.com reporter Bob Labriola:

Johnson was something of a favorite among SteelerNation and many will be sad to see him go. Not only was Johnson a good teammate but a hard worker, one that many fans could identify with.

The Giants have found themselves an underrated player, who could thrive in the right system as a lead blocker and occasional short yardage back.

Although Johnson went undrafted in 2011, he spent the year training hoping for a chance. While attending the West Virginia Pro Day in 2012, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert noticed him and he was signed at once.

While the fullback was beginning to see less of a role in the Steelers offense, Johnson became something of a utility player, contributing on special teams and as a back up tight end as well being the starting fullback. He saw action in every game of his first free years in the league with the team.

Going into 2015 Johnson was a restricted free agent and the Steelers tendered him at a rate of $1.542 million, to make sure he stayed in Pittsburgh

As training camp progressed last year, new signing Nix emerged and Johnson saw himself relegated to a backup role, his snaps on offense in particular diminished. It was not a sign of a lack of quality in Johnson’s play, but more about the improved performance of Nix comparatively.

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/04/will-johnson-signs-with-new-york-giants/

teegre
04-05-2016, 06:20 AM
Tomlin always has two WVU players on the roster. Never more, never less. Like the Sith.

This just means that he's making room for Karl Joseph and Daryl Worley.

Steeldude
04-05-2016, 06:27 AM
This was expected. Nix has years left. He played well as a FB and on special teams.

86WARD
04-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Don't think that's a huge loss at all.

Born2Steel
04-05-2016, 08:43 AM
With Nix, Green, and James I think we will be fine. Hate to lose any contributor, but good luck to him in NY.

vader29
04-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Now he will become a first ballot hall of famer like John Kuhn did when he left. :chuckle:

ALLD
04-05-2016, 04:13 PM
If he did not have a Steelers pedigree he might be out of the NFL by now. Giants did him a favor with one last shot. Giants run a decent organization that deserves more respect than its fans give. It is also classier than the one with the star on the helmet or the cheater in the clubhouse.