PDA

View Full Version : Baylor DT Andrew Billings Is More Than Just A Base 3-4 Nose Tackle Prospect

Shoes
04-04-2016, 01:50 PM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) APRIL 4, 2016 AT 01:04 PM
As the 2016 NFL Draft continues to draw nearer, the talk about whether or not the Pittsburgh Steelers should spend their first round draft pick on Baylor defensive tackle Andrew Billings is certainly in full swing. While several seem to be on board with Billings being the Steelers first-round selection, others seem to think that the team shouldn’t spend an early pick on a player who might only see the field as a base nose tackle.
After going through quite a bit of Billings’ tape from the last two seasons, I have come to the conclusion that the young defensive lineman can most definitely play all three downs for the Steelers should the need arise.
For starters, as you can see in the video that I have put together for you below, 6 of Billing’s 7.5 sacks that registered at Baylor over the course of the last two seasons came on third downs. Additionally, while I don’t have his complete pass rushing stats from 2014, I can tell you that in 2015 he was on the field for 146 of Baylor’s 201 third down defensive snaps in 2015. That number would likely have been higher had he not missed a game and half with an ankle injury.
As for his pass rushing production last season, numbers compiled by STATS indicate that Billings had 4 sacks, 11 pressures, 4 hurries and 7 knockdowns in 2015 on third downs. That production is nothing to scoff at when you consider that a portion of the 146 third down snaps that he was on the field for last season were runs.
If Billings is ultimately drafted by the Steelers, it goes without saying that defensive ends Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt would still both likely play most of the team’s nickel snaps in their defense. However, Billings should be able to help in that rotation on second and third downs in an effort to keep Heyward and Tuitt from wearing down late in games.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/baylor-dt-andrew-billings-just-base-3-4-nose-tackle-prospect/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fgqVR8K-4

Count Steeler
04-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, #75. Didn't work out too bad last time. The DL still does need help.

Rotorhead
04-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Think about it this way, in a draft not so deep with DL where would he get picked? Top 10, 15? That is called value, we are getting a top 10ish pick where we pick. I don't see how you can pass that up (unless a top 10-15 DB falls to us). Remember Denver beat us because Manning was smart enough to know Heyward and Tuitt were out on that final drive and no-huddled the Broncos down the field using the run game effectively against turnstyle thomas. Having a third player who can rotate with those 2 stops that drive (most likely as we shut down the Denver run game all day) as they are not exhausted by that time or the people in arent the same drop off we had. If Billing can play all three positions effectively I am 100% for this pick.

st33lersguy
04-04-2016, 06:14 PM
He is at the top of my wishlist

hawaiiansteeler
04-04-2016, 09:35 PM
If Billing can play all three positions effectively I am 100% for this pick.

I would say that in the 3-4 Billings would play NT and in our 4-2-5 Billings would play one of the two interior DTs giving either Tuitt and Hayward a rest or pushing one of those two outside to DE.

steelreserve
04-04-2016, 09:46 PM
I would say that in the 3-4 Billings would play NT and in our 4-2-5 Billings would play one of the two interior DTs giving either Tuitt and Hayward a rest or pushing one of those two outside to DE.

I would think that Billings would take over for the worst linebacker in that scheme and we'd play a 3-3-5 instead. (It's really a 2-4-5 except that a few idiots in the media have taken to calling it a 4-2-5 because they think that counting whichever linebackers are rushing as DEs makes them sound clever. But no, really we only have 2 defensive linemen on the field in that scheme.)

Anyway, basically you are right on the money and the rest is just arguing over the name. A guy like Billings is good enough to be disruptive in any scheme, so a straight-up swap of him vs. Moats or Jarvis Jones in the formation is a no-brainer.

hawaiiansteeler
04-04-2016, 11:28 PM
I would think that Billings would take over for the worst linebacker in that scheme and we'd play a 3-3-5 instead. (It's really a 2-4-5 except that a few idiots in the media have taken to calling it a 4-2-5 because they think that counting whichever linebackers are rushing as DEs makes them sound clever. But no, really we only have 2 defensive linemen on the field in that scheme.)

Anyway, basically you are right on the money and the rest is just arguing over the name. A guy like Billings is good enough to be disruptive in any scheme, so a straight-up swap of him vs. Moats or Jarvis Jones in the formation is a no-brainer.

the weakness of our 2-4-5 nickel defense has been getting gouged when our opponents run against it.

I'm really starting to warm up to this idea, with Billings in the middle of a 3-3-5 our run defense would be much improved without sacrificing a pass rush...

pczach
04-05-2016, 06:13 AM
You can never lock into one pick because you just don't know how the picks are going to fall leading up to the team's pick. But if Billings is there, I love the pick. He can play NT and is quick enough and athletic enough to play anywhere along the line in sub packages. As some of you mentioned above, he would be a perfect pick if you want someone that can spell Heyward and Tuitt, line up at NT, or be a DT in 4-3 sets or other defensive sub sets along the DL.

He makes a ton of sense if he's available. I'm not counting on him being there, but if he is.....he has to look pretty good.

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers host Alabama DT A'Shawn Robinson for official pre-draft visit

By Jeff.Hartman on Apr 5, 201

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/I-CMC-Ov4qEjeYR8TVdCeCTAuyA=/0x349:2935x2306/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49241033/usa-today-9031119.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue their pre-draft visit schedule by hosting A'Shawn Robinson, DT from the University of Alabama.

The gaping hole along the Pittsburgh Steelers defensive line is noticeable even from the laymen's point of view. With Steve McLendon gone via free agency to the New York Jets, the only experienced defensive linemen the Steelers have on their roster are Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Daniel McCullers, L.T. Walton and recently signed Ricardo Mathews. That's it.

Because of this, it should come as a shock to no one the team is looking at the upcoming NFL Draft to fill the void along the defensive line. The player they are hosting Tuesday at the team's facility would certainly be a tremendous stop-gap all along the 3-4 defensive front.

A'Shawn Robinson of Alabama is projected to be a first round talent, and most see him being selected prior to the Steelers picking at No. 25, but his talent would be a huge boost to the Steelers defense. Robinson not only can play all three positions in the 3-4 defense, a defense he knows well from his days under Nick Saban with the Crimson Tide, but he can also play the down linemen positions in the Steelers' many sub-packages.

The Steelers will likely bring in many other defensive linemen between now and the Draft, but Robinson was the first at the position to spend time at Steelers' headquarters.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2016/4/5/11369816/pittsburgh-steelers-host-alabama-dt-ashawn-robinson-for-official-pre

steelreserve
04-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Robinson will be long gone by the time we pick. Jarran Reed from Alabama might still be around when we pick, but he is more of the fat-guy anchor, run-stuffing DT that does not help us. Billings is more likely to be around but not a sure thing.

After that I'd say Vernon Butler is the guy who most closely fits the bull-rushing NT mold that we need, and he'll most likely be around at #25 but gone long before we pick in R2. After that, Kenny Clark looks pretty good but it is not certain he'll be around in late R2 for us either. And after THAT, we are left standing around with our dicks in our hands.

No doubt there will still be plenty of very good DT prospects left at that point, but most are the type who could be 4-3 DTs or possibly 3-4 DEs. So if we want more than a rotational sub for Tuitt and Heyward, the fact that it's a deep draft class for DL does not mean that we can expect to wait around until the bottom of R2 and expect to get the player we need. Those players will be gone by early R2. Which is still a huge help for us, because normally they're not there at all when we have our first selection, and not even within reasonable reach to consider trading for either.

Born2Steel
04-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Robinson will be long gone by the time we pick. Jarran Reed from Alabama might still be around when we pick, but he is more of the fat-guy anchor, run-stuffing DT that does not help us. Billings is more likely to be around but not a sure thing.

After that I'd say Vernon Butler is the guy who most closely fits the bull-rushing NT mold that we need, and he'll most likely be around at #25 but gone long before we pick in R2. After that, Kenny Clark looks pretty good but it is not certain he'll be around in late R2 for us either. And after THAT, we are left standing around with our dicks in our hands.

No doubt there will still be plenty of very good DT prospects left at that point, but most are the type who could be 4-3 DTs or possibly 3-4 DEs. So if we want more than a rotational sub for Tuitt and Heyward, the fact that it's a deep draft class for DL does not mean that we can expect to wait around until the bottom of R2 and expect to get the player we need. Those players will be gone by early R2. Which is still a huge help for us, because normally they're not there at all when we have our first selection, and not even within reasonable reach to consider trading for either.

What you describe there is the one reason I would be willing to trade back to early/mid 2nd round, if we can get additional mid draft picks. If, as an example, we trade back to pick 10, 2nd round and take Butler instead of Billings at 25. BUT, pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process. To me there are only 2 DTs in this draft that will be day 1 ready. I like either Billings or Butler. One of them should still be there, plus get a great DB selection right after, maybe Cravens or Joseph.

steelreserve
04-05-2016, 04:37 PM
What you describe there is the one reason I would be willing to trade back to early/mid 2nd round, if we can get additional mid draft picks. If, as an example, we trade back to pick 10, 2nd round and take Butler instead of Billings at 25. BUT, pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick in the process. To me there are only 2 DTs in this draft that will be day 1 ready. I like either Billings or Butler. One of them should still be there, plus get a great DB selection right after, maybe Cravens or Joseph.

That would be ideal if it happened, but things really have to go your way to make a trade like that (not just in terms of the players being there, but finding a willing trade partner). So if we pulled that off, it would be double bonus day. But I also would not have a problem just drafting either Billings or Butler straight-up and calling it a day. Butler is what really solidifies the pick in my mind - he reminds me most of someone like, say, Dontari Poe, and in terms of who-goes-where, that is usually a much higher pick than early R2 or even #25 overall. Billings reminds me of B.J. Raji, who IIRC was a top-10 pick. So even if we just stand pat, that is a rare opportunity.

I do think there is a good chance that at least one of Cravens, Joseph, or Darian Thompson is still around for us in R2 (Cravens less likely but who knows), so we might be able to steal one with that selection anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed. Who knows, that will probably be someone who is not even on the radar.

teegre
04-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Jarran Reed from Alabama might still be around when we pick, but he is more of the fat-guy anchor, run-stuffing DT that does not help us.

I disagree with this assessment.

He's not a fireplug.

Reed is basically Cam Heyward... except Reed is better against the run, but not nearly as good of a pass rusher. Reed lined up at every D-line position while at Alabama, which is the perfect combination (IMO) of what this defense needs: able to play NT for 10-15 snaps per game, and then rotate as a DE for an additional 10-15 snaps.

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

He's not a fireplug.

Reed is basically Cam Heyward... except Reed is better against the run, but not nearly as good of a pass rusher. Reed lined up at every D-line position while at Alabama, which is the perfect combination (IMO) of what this defense needs: able to play NT for 10-15 snaps per game, and then rotate as a DE for an additional 10-15 snaps.

lucky for us Jarran Reed should still be available when the Steelers pick in the 2nd round...:stirthepot:

steelreserve
04-05-2016, 05:51 PM

He's not a fireplug.

Sorry, I shouldn't have emphasized the fat guy part - he's no Mount Cody. The point is that he is not quite the disruptive force I'd be looking for. A decent player for sure, but not quite an exact match. Whereas a guy like Billings or Butler is like trying to block a bull, and THAT'S what we want.

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Scout.com Publishers Mock Draft

by Tim Yotter / Originally published onScout NFL Network

24. Cincinnati Bengals

Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor – With Domata Peko slowing down, the Bengals get themselves a real load for division rival Maurkice Pouncey to handle in what is becoming the new blood game in the AFC North. Marvin Lewis steals the big man one pick ahead of Mike Tomlin.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

William Jackson, CB, Houston – With a gnashing of teeth in the Steelers’ war room when Billings was drafted by their division rival, the Steelers went with the more practical pick at cornerback. The 30th-ranked pass defense last year lost three of five starters to their 4-2-5 base defense, so Jackson will provide a start. He won’t be first off the bus in Cincy as Billings would have, and Jackson’s not nearly as sexy a pick, but it has a solid base in practicality.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville – The Seahawks need help along the offensive line, but defensive tackle is also a concern with long-time starter Brandon Mebane leaving via free agency. After a terrific week at the Senior Bowl and in subsequent workouts, Rankins is viewed as an ascending prospect and simply too good to pass up at this point in the draft. The depth along the offensive line could allow Seattle to wait until Day 2 to address their leaky front.

27. Green Bay Packers

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama – B.J. Raji’s surprise choice to not play in 2016, the decision to make Datone Jones a hybrid defensive end-outside linebacker and the season-opening suspension to Mike Pennel left the Packers paper-thin up front. Robinson becomes an instant starter at defensive end.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis – The Kansas City Chiefs heavily scouted Lynch this past season and brought him into KC for an official visit in March. With Chiefs QB Alex Smith in his 30s, head coach Andy Reid needs to develop a young franchise quarterback. Never in their rich football history have the Chiefs drafted a first-round quarterback that ultimately became a franchise quarterback and Lynch might just be the one.

29. Arizona Cardinals

Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson – Trading for New England pass rusher Chandler Jones took care of one need area. The secondary remains concerning with Jerraud Powers still testing free agency and Tyrann Mathieu coming off another injury. Alexander is a sincere cover corner, but the combination of his limited size and zero interceptions at Clemson dropped his stock some.

30. Carolina Panthers

Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson – The Carolina Panthers have done an excellent job of addressing the few weaknesses in their roster prior to the draft. They are able to go in now and add the best player available, who in this case is Dodd. GM Dave Gettleman is always searching for pass rushers and, while Dodd is a little raw, the Panthers are able to allow him time to develop, play behind Charles Johnson for the 2016 season and become the future starter at the position.

31. Denver Broncos

Vernon Butler, DL, Louisiana Tech – John Elway has selected a defensive player with the Broncos first pick in each of his seasons as GM and, notwithstanding their QB quandary, the trend continues with Butler. Butler can play anywhere along the Wade Phillips’ defensive line and, working with position coach Bill Kollar, will quickly be able to plug and play in the 5-tech defensive end spot vacated by Malik Jackson.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/1657815-scout-com-publishers-mock-draft?s=68

teegre
04-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Sorry, I shouldn't have emphasized the fat guy part - he's no Mount Cody. The point is that he is not quite the disruptive force I'd be looking for. A decent player for sure, but not quite an exact match. Whereas a guy like Billings or Butler is like trying to block a bull, and THAT'S what we want.

I get ya.

Here's my thoughts:
If the Steelers are looking for a true NT, then Billings, Robinson, & Butler are who they'll target.

But, I think that the Steelers are leaning towards using more (a lot more) of just two down lineman. Thus, another guy like Heyward and/or Tuitt is who they'll target. Namely, Reed.

Reed, Billings, Butler, Robinson, Clark, Rankins, McKixbutt... give me any of those guys.

hawaiiansteeler
04-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Star Alabama DT Robinson visits with Steelers

Chris Adamski | Tuesday, April 5, 2016

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=GgPIj nr6rqp1KIojPS4Whc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsOOJiUNM7yABB 7J4YvokwdWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers hosted a draft-eligible player Tuesday morning, and it was a big one.

Literally.

Six-foot-four, 307-pound Alabama defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson visited the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex for a pre-draft visit Tuesday.

A consensus All-American as a junior last season for the national champion Crimson Tide, he's projected as a first-round pick in what is considered a very strong draft for defensive linemen.

A former five-star recruit who has all the physical gifts, Robinson was an elite run-stopper in college. He played at all spots across Alabama's 3-4 defensive line — a notable skillset for the Steelers, who lost starting nose tackle Steve McLendon in free agency and could use additional depth at end.

Robinson had 21½ tackles for loss and nine sacks in his college career.

Robinson and Baylor's Andrew Billings are among the consensus best defensive tackles available in this year's draft. The Steelers met with the 311-pound Billings at Baylor's pro Day last month.

Entering his third season, Daniel McCullers is the only pure defensive tackle with any NFL experience currently on the Steelers roster.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10257130-74/defensive-robinson-steelers

Craic
04-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Going purely off the video in the OP, I wouldn't mind seeing Billings, but I wasn't absolutely impressed with him, either, except on one play where he pushed through two blockers (and was being held) to get a sack. Other than that, a couple of his sacks were on free approaches, one was a decent move, but I doubt it'd work in the NFL, and a few were driving non-NFL level centers back. I didn't see the overpowering WOW factor I expected from the hoopla surrounding him.

hawaiiansteeler
04-12-2016, 07:36 PM
NFL Rumors - April 12 Updates:

“It’s a big offseason for the Indianapolis Colts, and I’m told from a team source that they like Baylor nose tackle Andrew Billings a lot in Round 1." - Matt Miller, Source Copier

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#zuXBfWWcuyvK1AoC.99

polamalubeast
04-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Comment From What is the chance...

I like billings from Baylor what do u think about him

Ed Bouchette

If he is there and if all the good corners and safeties and outside linebackers and tackles are gone, it's possible.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/04/13/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-4-13-16/stories/201604130025

teegre
04-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Comment From What is the chance...

I like billings from Baylor what do u think about him

Ed Bouchette

If he is there and if all the good corners and safeties and outside linebackers and tackles are gone, it's possible.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/04/13/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-4-13-16/stories/201604130025

Ed is just bitter that he's never had dinner with Joe Greene.

pczach
04-13-2016, 03:50 PM
I might also read Buchette if there were no other options available, it's possible.

What a sarcastic prick. :brick: