PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers make a run at S Donte Whitner?

hawaiiansteeler
04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Will the Steelers make a run at S Donte Whitner?

By: Curt Popejoy

https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/Ssp44AKZgkpXrsHpI4v_ZQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW15O3E9NzU7dz02NDA7c209MQ--/http://slingstone.zenfs.com/offnetwork/03efd3fd317d8f38581bb0a56f1d8e76

Perhaps patience has paid off for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Early in the offseason, all the talk was about the Steelers making a run at free-agent safety Eric Weddle. He eventually chased a paycheck to Baltimore to play for the rival Ravens, and the Steelers were still sitting a safety short. But perhaps their fortunes have turned.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Cleveland Browns continue to jettison talent, and this time it is safety Donte Whitner.

Honestly, of all the safeties that have been available, Whitner might be the most interesting. Yes, he’s 30 years old, but the guy can flat out play. He’s started 143 of 146 games, and only started less than 13 games one time in his 10 seasons. He’s a huge hitter and a sure tackler in the secondary. Both traits the Steelers covet in their safeties.

Whitner is exactly the kind of guy the Steelers want. He’s a veteran with gobs of experience and a well-rounded game. He’s a former first-round pick that might be looking to wind down his career on a team that is winning, and that’s Pittsburgh. He would be a great pairing with Mike Mitchell, and would allow Mitchell to transition to his more natural strong safety spot. It would also mitigate the need to draft a safety early in the 2016 NFL draft.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/03/will-the-steelers-make-a-run-at-s-donte-whitner/

Shoes
04-03-2016, 08:58 PM
He is going to want Weddle money. I'm not sure what folks expected Weddle to do, they say he *chased a paycheck to play in Baltimore* but it seems the Steelers didn't make him an offer.

Here's another view.

Steelers Should Steer Clear Of Recently Released Browns S Donte Whitner

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) APRIL 3, 2016 AT 08:44 AM
Just two years after they signed him to a four year, $28 million contract, the Cleveland Brownsdecided to release safety Donte Whitner on Saturday. While the decision to release Whitner will save the Browns some cap space, the move is more about the team moving in a different direction at the position and one that includes better play.
Personally, I applaud the Browns decision to cut Whitner loose as while he was once a Pro Bowl caliber player, last season he showed that’s no longer the case and especially when it comes to his tackling. Want proof of that? Go watch the Browns game from last season against the Oakland Raiders.
Keep in mind that Whitner is no spring chicken, either, as not only is he already on the wrong side of 30, he’ll turn 31 in July. Now, does Whitner still have another season or two left in him? Sure, it’s possible, but a player with his resume and experience isn’t going to want to play for the veteran league minimum just the same.
While the Pittsburgh Steelers could certainly use another veteran safety on their offseason, their history when it comes to signing free agent defensive players dictates that they’re likely to pass on Whitner. For starters, he’s on the wrong side of 30 and that’s a huge strike against him as I have pointed out multiple times over the years. Second, he’s a descending player and like it or not, that’s the truth. And third, he’s likely to cost too much money.
In short, if the Steelers want an over-30 safety who has tackling issues, they should just re-sign unrestricted free agent Will Allen for the minimum.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/steelers-steer-clear-recently-released-browns-s-donte-whitner/

steelreserve
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Wouldn't be opposed to it if the money was right, but the money is probably not going to be right.

Between Whitner and Dashon Goldson, they could sign both and have both of the 49ers' starting safeties about 5 years too late.

Dwinsgames
04-04-2016, 11:53 AM
if your going to pay for someone pay for a younger guy just say no to post 30 year old free agents

ALLD
04-04-2016, 04:41 PM
No more than $3.5m per year.

Born2Steel
04-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Why would we sign a guy the Browns don't want?

86WARD
04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
I'd rather pass or sign him far after the draft. Take chances in seeing what other teams may release.

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2016, 09:46 AM
whats wrong with Dashon Goldson anyways? Dude used to be an all-pro if i recall correctly

hawaiiansteeler
04-05-2016, 02:35 PM
@EdBouchette any interest in donte witner from the steelers?

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette Apr 4

Certainly Whitner, 30, and a 3-time PB SS is worth a look for a team that does not have an experienced starting SS

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Texasteel
04-05-2016, 02:54 PM
He was a kid I wanted in that draft, but kept moving up, and up.

steelreserve
04-05-2016, 02:59 PM
whats wrong with Dashon Goldson anyways? Dude used to be an all-pro if i recall correctly

Nothing, except reports are he apparently still thinks he can get $8M a year and that is scaring teams away. I think he's lost a half-step from when he was at his peak, but did not have a bad season for the Redskins last year. I've thought we should be calling that guy up pretty much since the day Washington let him go.

clemdawg
04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I'd rather pass or sign him far after the draft. Take chances in seeing what other teams may release.
Excellant point. I agree.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
04-07-2016, 12:58 AM
Clemson S T.J. Green Set For Thursday Pre-Draft Visit With Steelers

BY DAVE BRYAN APRIL 6, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers appear to be set to visit with yet another safety prospect on Thursday. According to a Wednesday night Twitter post by Clemson safety T.J. Green, he recently landed in Pittsburgh.

Green, who measured in at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at 6024, 209-pounds, ran his 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds while in Indianapolis. Last season he recorded 95 total tackles and one sack. The underclassman also only registered one interception in the 38 games that he played in at Clemson.

According to STATS, Green allowed 22 catches for 437 yards and a touchdown while in coverage last season. He also reportedly missed 15 total tackles last season.

So far during the month of April the Steelers have brought in several top-rated safety prospects for visits and that list includes Darian Thompson, Jeremy Cash, Deon Bush, and Keanu Neal. Additionally, safeties Jayron Kearse and Vonn Bell are likely to be brought in for visits as well in the coming days or weeks.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/clemson-s-t-j-green-set-thursday-pre-draft-visit-steelers/

Psycho Ward 86
04-07-2016, 11:21 AM
The underclassman also only registered one interception in the 38 games that he played in at Clemson.

According to STATS, Green allowed 22 catches for 437 yards and a touchdown while in coverage last season. He also reportedly missed 15 total tackles last season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/clemson-s-t-j-green-set-thursday-pre-draft-visit-steelers/

No. Just no to this kid. I know stats arent everything but holy dog shit, those are some astronomically bad numbers while having the benefit of playing on a great defense

steelreserve
04-07-2016, 12:47 PM

No. Just no to this kid. I know stats arent everything but holy dog shit, those are some astronomically bad numbers while having the benefit of playing on a great defense

No shit. And at 20 yards a pop, that tells me you just figure out who he's covering, throw the ball up there, and chances are he will get simmmmoked. And that was against college players, only playing coverage about half the time. NFL quarterbacks throwing to NFL receivers would absolutely eat his lunch.

How many times would we see Joe Flacco drop back, scramble in a panic and heave a moonball off his back foot ... and our safety isn't even close and does one of those lame one-armed flailing moves with his back to the ball as he twists halfway around and falls down. No thanks. I've seen enough of the back of Mike Mitchell's jersey as he tries to chase down people that Blake and Allen left wide open while they fell on their faces.

Psycho Ward 86
04-07-2016, 04:02 PM
No shit. And at 20 yards a pop, that tells me you just figure out who he's covering, throw the ball up there, and chances are he will get simmmmoked. And that was against college players, only playing coverage about half the time. NFL quarterbacks throwing to NFL receivers would absolutely eat his lunch.

How many times would we see Joe Flacco drop back, scramble in a panic and heave a moonball off his back foot ... and our safety isn't even close and does one of those lame one-armed flailing moves with his back to the ball as he twists halfway around and falls down. No thanks. I've seen enough of the back of Mike Mitchell's jersey as he tries to chase down people that Blake and Allen left wide open while they fell on their faces.

yeah. i mean that pairing of statistics alone tells you theres a good chance he wont be a good open field tackler in the NFL, yet he'll allow deep throws to fly over his head. His 4.3 time means nothing