PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign DE Ricardo Mathews formerly of the Chargers.

zulater
03-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Sorry, I can't find my mouse to provide the link, but it looks like just a warm body signing. :huh:

hawaiiansteeler
03-31-2016, 01:13 PM
Steelers Sign Free Agent DL Ricardo Mathews

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 31, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now signed another free agent as defensive lineman Ricardo Mathews has agreed to a one-year contract, according to the team.

Mathews, who was originally drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft out of Cincinnati, played his last two seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

Last season, Mathews recorded 22 total tackles and a sack and started 7 games for the Chargers.

At his 2010 pro day, Mathews reportedly measured in at 6020, 290-pounds. However, he was listed on the Chargers official website last year at 300-pounds.

Mathews was more than likely signed by the Steelers in order to add depth on their defensive line. Should he make the Steelers final 53-man roster, he will likely be used as a reserve defensive end in the team’s base package and as a reserve interior pass-rusher in their nickel package.

While no details have been released yet, Mathews likely signed for the league minimum for his accrued years and if he did receive a signing bonus it likely wasn’t more than $80,000.

In related news, Dallas Cowboys free agent defensive lineman Jack Crawford visited with the Steelers on Thursday but reportedly left town unsigned.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/steelers-sign-free-agent-dl-ricardo-mathews/

BlackAndGold
03-31-2016, 01:45 PM
Meh. Was Cam Thomas truly considered as depth? Same situation here.

st33lersguy
03-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Hopefully he is better than Mr. Dirty Dick

tube517
03-31-2016, 02:15 PM
So, we aren't interested in Hannibal Lecter's adversary?

hawaiiansteeler
03-31-2016, 02:30 PM

he probably wanted more than vet minimum, which seems like that's all we're willing to offer...

86WARD
03-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Meh.

hawaiiansteeler
03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Hopefully he is better than Mr. Dirty Dick

Pro Football Focus graded him worse than Cam Thomas this past season...:wtf:

Drazo85
03-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Not another one!

teegre
03-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Sometimes he uses Evyan skin cream... but, not with the Steelers.

tube517
03-31-2016, 03:04 PM

We'll just call him Dirty Prick since Cam is Dirty Dick

Or just send him off to the Titans where he will end up next year anyways.

steelreserve
03-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Hopefully we have learned our lesson and will add another player who makes this guy completely unnecessary.

By the way type in "Cam Thomas dirty dick" (with or without the quotes) on Google and guess which site comes up. We're #1, baby!

Psycho Ward 86
03-31-2016, 03:16 PM

where the fuck do we find these horrible ass players

Mojouw
03-31-2016, 03:24 PM

The Chargers. Apparently they are our terrible reserve defensive lineman farm team.

polamalubeast
03-31-2016, 03:27 PM

LOL

Count Steeler
03-31-2016, 03:30 PM
As long as he learns the defense before he plays.

zulater
03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
It looks like Tuitt and Cam are going to be logging a lot of snaps again this year. :no: Cam's play noticeably fell off in the latter part of the season due to exhaustion no doubt. If they don't add a significant rookie to the DL mix it looks like Cam's ass will be dragging for the playoffs again.

pczach
03-31-2016, 04:05 PM

:toofunny:

teegre
03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
The Chargers. Apparently they are our terrible reserve defensive lineman farm team.

Pittsburgh is known as San Diego East.

polamalubeast
03-31-2016, 06:21 PM

in San Diego.....

fansince'76
03-31-2016, 07:03 PM
By the way type in "Cam Thomas dirty dick" (with or without the quotes) on Google and guess which site comes up. We're #1, baby!

A somewhat dubious distinction. :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
04-01-2016, 12:38 AM

let's hope this Ricardo is better than the last one who played for us...

Mojouw
04-01-2016, 08:43 AM
It looks like Tuitt and Cam are going to be logging a lot of snaps again this year. :no: Cam's play noticeably fell off in the latter part of the season due to exhaustion no doubt. If they don't add a significant rookie to the DL mix it looks like Cam's ass will be dragging for the playoffs again.

Cheer up, man. The off-season isn't over yet. Camp hasn't even started. Neither has the draft. The Steelers have plenty of time to add players to their roster mix. Also, we should all be appreciative of what they have pulled off. They plugged the TE hole with a top FA for a reasonable price and prevented having to overpay for a quality TE prospect in a weak draft class. They also have improved the overall roster depth at multiple spots while spending like 20 bucks in free agency outside of Green.

Plenty of time and a few extensions and/or restructures means cap room for any further FA additions.

Psycho Ward 86
04-01-2016, 12:41 PM
in San Diego.....

At this point, Im convinced Ron Burgundy was right when he said San Diego means a whale's vagina

teegre
04-01-2016, 12:45 PM
At this point, Im convinced Ron Burgundy was right when he said San Diego means a whale's vagina

That actually a fact... it's science. Or, Latin.

86WARD
04-01-2016, 02:52 PM
There's also the guys that get cut after the draft, during ores ease and after preseason. You can find some nice guys there on occasion.

tube517
04-01-2016, 03:08 PM
That actually a fact... it's science. Or, Latin.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--qzdpo894--/dt9wxl4khatoqlcdcvjn.jpg

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/64/64bbb80d3992e47a9ed449a7c4ca3f4bf47326253f401cb30f c0db30ba0f6244.jpg

Rotorhead
04-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I think we help our DL through the draft and maybe still sign a DB at some point before next season.

teegre
04-01-2016, 05:38 PM
I think we help our DL through the draft

And, this is the perfect draft to do that.

Count Steeler
04-02-2016, 07:19 AM

And why, pray tell, are you searching that? Hmmm?

steelreserve
04-02-2016, 11:16 AM
And why, pray tell, are you searching that? Hmmm?

It's uh ... not something I'm proud of.

Devilsdancefloor
04-02-2016, 12:10 PM
It's uh ... not something I'm proud of.

you have to take pride in something!

But can the steelers just stop please stop these types of signings.

steelreserve
04-03-2016, 01:47 AM
you have to take pride in something!

But can the steelers just stop please stop these types of signings.

yeah seriously. I mean, we needed a defensive lineman but as I've said ... just because my cat's butt is about the same size as a guitar cable, it does not mean I should plug my cat into the amp and expect it to sound like a real guitar.

Hawkman
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
yeah seriously. I mean, we needed a defensive lineman but as I've said ... just because my cat's butt is about the same size as a guitar cable, it does not mean I should plug my cat into the amp and expect it to sound like a real guitar.

You were just waiting to use that one......weren't you?

Mojouw
04-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Rosters are going to quickly expand to what, 80 or so? Why not bring a guy to your offseason program and see what happens. No guarantee Matthews even makes the team. Or maybe he has a solid camp and a decent preseason and solidifies his place on the roster as a rotational player. Just because he stunk for the same team that Cam Thomas stunk for doesn't mean it was for the same reasons. Chargers are only slightly more functional than the Browns right now. That being said, I figure Matthews is place holder on the roster until some more promising players can be drafted and signed post draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
04-03-2016, 10:31 AM

I've done that... it sounds like Nickelback.

Shoes
04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) APRIL 3, 2016 AT 10:32 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers signed defensive lineman Ricardo Mathews to a one-year contract last week and now that the deal has been filed with the NFLPA we know the specifics associated with it.
Mathews’ one-year deal, as expected, totals out at $760,000 and he did not receive a signing bonus. This deal, however, still qualifies as a Minimum Salary Benefit contract so Mathews’ cap charge in 2016 will be $600,000, assuming he makes the team’s final 53-man roster out of training camp. There should be no dead money associated with his contract should the team ultimately need to release him prior to Week 1.
As a result of the signing of Mathews, the Steelers used only $75,000 in additional salary cap space after roster displacement took place in the top 51. The signing of Mathews is also not expected to impact the compensatory draft pick formula for next year being as it is just a minimum salary deal.
Mathews played in a total of 28 regular-season games with the San Diego Chargers over the course of the last two seasons. Last year he started 7 games for the Chargers and recorded 22 total tackles and one sack, which just so happened to come against the Steelers in Week 5.
The Steelers are likely hoping that Mathews can serve as depth at defensive tackle in the team’s nickel package in 2016 in addition to him also being able to play a few rotational snaps at defensive end in the team’s base personnel grouping.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/contract-details-new-steelers-de-ricardo-mathews/