PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Ideas

Mojouw
03-30-2016, 01:58 PM
So it is pretty clear at this point in the off season the Steelers plan is to offer vets low money deals to ride the pine. Almost everyone they have brought in lately has signed somewhere else for a chance to play. No problem. Got me thinking, what are some goofy off the wall ideas that fit this low dollar depth signing mode?

1. Willie Colon. Wants to play one more year. Is he better off the bench than Hubbard?
2. Walter Thurmond. All that retirement talk has to be driving his price down. 1 year deal to chase a ring? I know he is better than Allen or Golden.
3. Brian Hoyer. Yup. I'm changing my tune on this guy. See what he wants to be the primary back-up. You just know the Texans are going to have to cut him.
4. Ryan Fitzpatrick. See above. Just think Jets.

Anyone got any others?

Dwinsgames
03-30-2016, 02:05 PM
since " Goofy " is the name of the thread ...

Calvin Johnson , maybe its less about taking a physical beating than being sick and tired of being tied to a losing franchise with no end in sight ?

give his agent a call and see if he wants to WIN

zulater
03-30-2016, 02:12 PM

Calvin Johnson , maybe its less about taking a physical beating than being sick and tired of being tied to a losing franchise with no end in sight ?

I imagine the Patriots have already done this. Their need at the position is greater than ours plus that's their DNA.

But yeah it would be nice to see him in black and gold.

Mojouw
03-30-2016, 02:55 PM

That is a great idea. I think that any organization that didn't reach out to Megatron would be foolish.

tube517
03-30-2016, 02:57 PM
So it is pretty clear at this point in the off season the Steelers plan is to offer vets low money deals to ride the pine. Almost everyone they have brought in lately has signed somewhere else for a chance to play. No problem. Got me thinking, what are some goofy off the wall ideas that fit this low dollar depth signing mode?

1. Willie Colon. Wants to play one more year. Is he better off the bench than Hubbard?
2. Walter Thurmond. All that retirement talk has to be driving his price down. 1 year deal to chase a ring? I know he is better than Allen or Golden.
3. Brian Hoyer. Yup. I'm changing my tune on this guy. See what he wants to be the primary back-up. You just know the Texans are going to have to cut him.
4. Ryan Fitzpatrick. See above. Just think Jets.

Anyone got any others?

I never disliked Hoyer as a backup only. He's no worse than what we have now. Sign him for cheap and let him fight it out with Laundry. Fitz would probably be too expensive but hey, for a cheap ass contract, sure.

polamalubeast
03-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I never disliked Hoyer as a backup only. He's no worse than what we have now. Sign him for cheap and let him fight it out with Laundry. Fitz would probably be too expensive but hey, for a cheap ass contract, sure.

Hoyer is in Houston right now with a salary of 5-6 millions.....

tube517
03-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Hoyer is in Houston right now with a salary of 5-6 millions.....

Or, Denver maybe. He's done in Houston.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648797/article/josh-mccown-brian-hoyer-options-for-denver-broncos

The Texans and Brian Hoyer appear "headed for a divorce," Rapoport said, following Houston's acquisition of Brock Osweiler. Both sides are on board with a fresh start.

Psycho Ward 86
03-31-2016, 03:27 PM

he's still under contract. from what ive read, he would still be a lion if he doesnt retire.

i really like the willie colon idea actually. he actually became a decent RT after a while, and he was definitely above par as a guard.

my goofy idea would be bringing in Reggie Nelson from the Bengals. I just saw on steeler depot that hes STILL available, and apparently has had little contact with anybody. The guy is still a nightmare at 32. sign him for 2 years and see what happens

steelreserve
03-31-2016, 03:46 PM
he's still under contract. from what ive read, he would still be a lion if he doesnt retire.

i really like the willie colon idea actually. he actually became a decent RT after a while, and he was definitely above par as a guard.

my goofy idea would be bringing in Reggie Nelson from the Bengals. I just saw on steeler depot that hes STILL available, and apparently has had little contact with anybody. The guy is still a nightmare at 32. sign him for 2 years and see what happens

Yup, that's right. If you retire under contract, that team owns your rights if you ever decide to come back, unless they trade you or grant you a release. If you remember, the Jets had to trade a draft pick for Brett Favre after he un-retired; he didn't just sign as a free agent. Nelson would not be a bad idea either, as long as he and Munchak don't knock each other's teeth out.

My harebrained scheme is to pick up Justin Blackmon. That way he and Bryant can alternate years playing and being suspended, so we'll always have one good playmaking receiver. Then add Hakuhō Shō (NT-Mongolia) for DL depth.

Born2Steel
03-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Sign Hines Ward to our PS and let HIM teach the secondary how they need to play in this league. Once he starts knocking a few into next week, we'll have the most aware group of DBs ever.

86WARD
04-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Fitzpatrick won't sign here to be a backup. Best case for him is he doesn't get signed, season starts, injuries happen, value goes up further than it is.

Psycho Ward 86
04-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Finding a good backup QB nowdays seems like such a cop out. The best ones will only sign with teams without a franchise QB and cost that kind of money. The really good ones that are drafted will just end up leaving as soon as possible. Not to mention that every QB in the league now basically gets paid either a lot ($18 million +) or a little (3 million or less) per year with little in between. Im to the point where i think a good veteran QB at back up should be all we look for unless Ben really looks like he's about to be done or if a QB way too good to pass up falls in our lap.

Also again to the Willie Colon idea, I think thats the least crazy idea on this thread. He really loved playing for us.

Rotorhead
04-01-2016, 05:16 PM
My harebrained scheme is to pick up Justin Blackmon. That way he and Bryant can alternate years playing and being suspended, so we'll always have one good playmaking receiver. Then add Hakuhō Shō (NT-Mongolia) for DL depth.

Him or Josh Gordon lol

Mojouw
04-02-2016, 05:56 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/10286/ifo-ekpre-olomu

I realize that the Browns just cut him and his medicals may not be all that great right now. But he did tear an ACL, it isn't like that is some exotic injury that no one knows how to rehab. Plus who wants to bet that the Browns are a disorganized mess?

Bring the kid in for a look. If you have docs that can get Spence back on the field and playing NFL caliber football - what could they do with this kid?

steelreserve
04-02-2016, 07:07 PM

I realize that the Browns just cut him and his medicals may not be all that great right now. But he did tear an ACL, it isn't like that is some exotic injury that no one knows how to rehab. Plus who wants to bet that the Browns are a disorganized mess?

Bring the kid in for a look. If you have docs that can get Spence back on the field and playing NFL caliber football - what could they do with this kid?

I really don't see how it would hurt to bring him in for a look. It's not like we couldn't back out of it if he really isn't the same. If I remember right, this kid was originally being talked about as a first- or second-round pick, so what do we really have to lose?

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2016, 08:15 PM

to be fair, he also had a dislocated knee bone. but i agree with giving him a chance

hawaiiansteeler
04-02-2016, 08:24 PM

I would usually say there's no way a NFL team would just release an injured player like this unless his injury was too great to overcome.

but you're right, this is the Browns we're talking about here...

pczach
04-03-2016, 10:00 AM

It definitely couldn't hurt. It's worth a look.

It's a shame. He was a real talent before the injury. It would be incredible if they were able to see him recover and become a real player again.

Bluecoat96
04-03-2016, 12:26 PM
That is a great idea. I think that any organization that didn't reach out to Megatron would be foolish.
I don't think it's that simple. Don't the Lions have the rights to Calvin Johnson if he un retires? I think of the Favre / Rodgers situation. I think we'd have to trade for him, which would be a shit ton of money to initially absorb, nor to mention that we'd probably have to give up some premium draft picks.

Just think of the offense, though. Roethlisberger, Johnson, Brown, Bell, Green? We would literally be unstoppable. It wouldn't matter if the defense sucked an egg. Lol