PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Coates, the anti Martavis? (off the field)

zulater
03-28-2016, 07:57 AM
While many NFL players migrate to Los Angeles or Miami or Phoenix for the offseason, Sammie Coates has been in Pittsburgh all winter, frequenting the Pittsburgh Steelers' facility on weekdays, showing his bosses dedication.

Coates knows this is good for him, but selfishly he's also feeding his insistence to save money by any means necessary.

“I’m just really cheap,” Coates said. “That’s the way I am. If I don’t have to spend it, I’m not going to do it. I’ve got free workouts here, trainers right there, a good strength coach, you get to eat [free], it’s a seven-minute commute.”

At least Coates is planning for the long term, which is exactly what the Steelers need from their third-round pick suddenly thrust into an elevated role.

Coates doesn’t want any more surprises, especially without the backdrop of Martavis Bryant monopolizing deep-ball reps. The Steelers haven’t flinched publicly in the weeks after Bryant’s one-year suspension, pointing to Coates as a capable suitor to offset Bryant’s lost production. Coach Mike Tomlin said he has been pleased by Coates' desire to adjust to NFL life.

read more....http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/18204/sammie-coates-switched-to-broccoli-dished-marriage-advice-and-earned-steelers-trust

Looks like this is someone who gets it. If Martavis ever completes all the requirements for league reinstatement and the Steelers seriously consider bringing him back one of the conditions should be that he make his offseason home in Pittsburgh. For several reasons, it would get him away from old neighborhood friends who apparently bring him down, it would also get him around teammates who would likely be there to lean on when things get tough.

Anyway getting back to Coates, I'm really glad to see this guy seems to be so well grounded. I think his talent is obvious. Just a matter of him learning the nuance of playing NFL football and finding a rhythm with Ben.

polamalubeast
03-28-2016, 08:41 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/3/28/11312876/why-pittsburgh-steelers-wr-sammie-coates-will-have-a-breakout-season

Rotorhead
03-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Wow, if he gets a work ethic like AB . . . Bryant who?

steelreserve
03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
That's a nice positive story to hear about him. Guys like that usually trend way up, with the added bonus that they also don't tend to get DUIs or be involved in nightclub stabbings.

SteelerFanInStl
03-28-2016, 10:49 AM
This is good to read. It sounds like he's got his head on straight.

polamalubeast
03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4

salamander
03-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Nothing wrong with being smart and proactive.

Born2Steel
03-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Nice throws too. Why is Nick Marshall playing CB now?

ALLD
03-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I was gonna go to football practice
But I got high
Now I am suspended from the NFL for a year
And I know why
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high

zulater
03-28-2016, 01:42 PM
I was gonna go to football practice
But I got high
Now I am suspended from the NFL for a year
And I know why
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high
Cuz I got high

Sammy Coates is taking my job

Cuz I got high

st33lersguy
03-28-2016, 01:43 PM
I was at training camp last year and was impressed by him. I hope he can emerge at least to a solid no. 2 his 2nd year

Devilsdancefloor
03-28-2016, 08:07 PM
well sound like he has the right attitude hope it translates on the field for him hard works always pays off

Shoes
03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Sammy Coates is taking my job

Cuz I got high

:chuckle:

st33lersguy
03-29-2016, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see Coates be productive and not have the amount of drops and lapses in concentration that Bryant had in the 2nd half of last year

zulater
03-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see Coates be productive and not have the amount of drops and lapses in concentration that Bryant had in the 2nd half of last year

Bryant has very much been a boom -bust sort of player. His capacity for greatness is tremendous, and even with his concentration lapses he's a helluva weapon. If he gets his act together off the field (which imo is a longshot) I could see him becoming a perennial All Pro for the next 5+ years. So I can see why the Steelers aren't going to walk away from him just yet.

Craic
03-30-2016, 04:02 PM

Hmm. Lapses in concentration and motorskill problems, and he's sitting out the coming season for what reason? Imagine that.

(and yes, marijuana can affect your motorskills up to 48 hours after you smoke it—long after the "high" is gone, based on a number of studies with airline pilots).

st33lersguy
03-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Hmm. Lapses in concentration and motorskill problems, and he's sitting out the coming season for what reason? Imagine that.

(and yes, marijuana can affect your motorskills up to 48 hours after you smoke it—long after the "high" is gone, based on a number of studies with airline pilots).

Yep, probably

zulater
03-31-2016, 01:22 PM

I doubt it. Having already been suspended early last season he was subject to random testing, and I think it's pretty obvious Martavis hasn't figured out how to beat the pee test! :lol:

I think it's more likely he has some form of ADHD. Which also might help explain his apparent dependency on what most consider a non addictive drug.