PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Clock watching is gutsy issue for Tomlin

polamalubeast
03-22-2016, 07:30 PM
BOCA RATON, Fla. — Clock management always has been a hot-button topic with NFL coaches, and Mike Tomlin isn't excluded from that conversation.

For Tomlin, he said Tuesday during an AFC coaches breakfast at the NFL Annual Meeting that he follows his gut when it comes to clock management.

“I think there's always going to be room for evaluation of that or judgement of that,” Tomlin said. “I don't worry about that, to be honest with you. It just is what it is. I think there's a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks, and I would love to put a headset on them and stand them on the sideline of the stadium and watch them make no decision.”

A number of the coaches at the AFC breakfast said clock management is a staff-based proposition. Chargers coach Mike McCoy said he has clock management grids to help out the process but also goes with his gut at times. He said he even asks quarterback Philip Rivers what he would like him to do.

Tomlin said he is a purely “feel” guy when it comes to those types of decisions.

“I'm not into that. I try to make decisions based on my team, its men and the variables involved in the specific game that we're in,” Tomlin said. “There are a lot of variables in it, and to be quite honest with you, I never feel moved to get into a lot of detail in terms of explaining my mentality or the layers involved in decision making. It just doesn't bother me to be judged. Just don't take it personal if I don't overly participate in that analysis.”

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10190208-74/tomlin-clock-open

hawaiiansteeler
03-22-2016, 07:48 PM
one of Tomlin's biggest weaknesses, without a doubt. I'm slightly disappointed that he has yet to take ownership of that fact and work on improving that aspect of being a head coach.